Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2023, 16:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Retain the Jeep Compass or Sell it off | With its ageing, niggles are coming frequently

My advice = sell it!
It’s already crossed 72k.
The expenses are already high on top of that the 6 months warranty aspect after spending so much doesn’t quite make sense to me.

The XUV700 is one of my favourites, feels premium on the inside, has a well tuned suspension setup.

If you have the budget to stretch, I feel the AX7 would be the perfect upgrade!
Auto spawn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 17:28   #17
BHPian

Re: Retain the Jeep Compass or Sell it off | With its ageing, niggles are coming frequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by vattyboy View Post

I want you guys to suggest to me, whether I should sell the car or I should retain it
Sell it, if you can afford it.

Don’t sell it for financial gain but because you have kind of stopped loving the experience of owning it. GTO’s maths would be spot on if you are looking just to save costs or to extend the unique Jeep experience, but sometimes the extra cost is well spent for a new car. You have used the Compass long enough to enjoy it and now it’s time to replace it as it has started giving troubles needing time and money. Just choose a new car which would give you some advantages that Compass couldn’t. Reliability and quality, perhaps and ease of maintenance at your town. Or perhaps a preowned Luxury German. Don’t know which - that’s for you to decide. You will miss the Compass if you sell it now, but that’s what should happen. Who wants to own a car that you wouldn’t miss it later? Sell it, lose it, miss it, shed a tear, and move on to a new driving partner.
All the best!

Last edited by VinsWagen : 5th December 2023 at 17:30.
VinsWagen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 17:49   #18
ike
BHPian

Quote:

4. Clutch is due for replacement. Cost- Rs 90k.
90k for clutch replacement? I have no experience with Jeep whatsoever but this sounds a little inflated to me.

EDIT: Saw the subsequent update that it i 47k for the clutch. I would consider driving down to the biggest city nearby to an FNG with good reference(I assume it'd be Delhi in your case) for the maintenance. Alternator you should be able to refurbish or find one from a Jeep that's been totaled.

Last edited by ike : 5th December 2023 at 17:57.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 18:54   #19
BHPian

Accidental car - Sell it even if it means taking a short term hit.

While I am a proponent of keeping all my cars for at least 7-10 years, I would sell off an accidental car (specially after going through the pics in your accident thread). There's just way too much hassle involved, you've driven it for a good while, time to get some mental peace
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 19:45   #20
BHPian

Update Guys
I have asked the Jeep Ass to change-

1. Whole alternator Assembly for 90k.
2. The engine C mount for 15k.

The whole alternator assembly is making such a weird noise that even if I decide to sell the car right now in the current condition then even the dumbest and most noob person on the earth will not buy the car.

I have inquired from various independent garages in Surat and I did not get a satisfactory answer from them regarding the repair job the other asked to buy the part from Jeep so it didn't make any sense.

I am in a very emotional and tricky situation right now, I was saving for land for the last 6 months and finalized the deal for it by giving a token 1 week ago. Now If I buy the Xuv 700 for 25 lacs right now then I will have to reduce the land sqft area and I do not want to burden myself by taking a loan on either of them.

So now Out of the 3 lacs bill I will pay 1 lac and keeping this in mind, I have decided to drive the car for another 10 to 15k km which I will cover in the coming 6 to 8 months because the fuel injectors problem is minor plus clutch can run for another 10 to 15k at least.

In the next 6 months, if no other niggles pop up then I will replace the other parts by paying 2 lacs and if one more niggle pops up then I will bid goodbye to my beloved compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
That's a huge amount and spending it on a 6-year-old vehicle would be a strict no for me, until and unless you've an emotional attachment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
As a fellow Compass diesel manual owner, I empathise.
I’ve always said that maintaining a Compass requires Mercedes money. It’s a white elephant in this regard.
Even it is more expensive than Mercedes, the merc is not prone to niggles. It is super reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Contrary to what people are suggesting, I wouldn't keep the Jeep. It's 6 and the niggles it's throwing are unbelievable. I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Let me put it this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
I would inform the next buyer about the to-be-repaired costs and sell it. Or tell him why I am selling this at a price lesser than the similar ones (just so that Karma doesn't hit me back ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Very tricky situation you are in.

If you try to sell this car, the buyer will factor in the repairs you have mentioned and reduce the price of the car.

I doubt you will get beyond 7.5 to 8 lakhs for this car in its current state. (check Spinny / Cars24 once to get a quote)

So your options are
1. Spend 3 lakhs and repair the car to sell it at 9-10 lakhs at best.
2. Spend 3 lakhs and keep the car, budget 1.5 lakhs per year for maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaliga View Post
Jeep is proving to be as expensive as luxury German brands as far as maintenance is concerned, 3 lakhs for wear and tear parts on a 72k run car is way too much on a 25 lakh car, you should move on if budget is not a constraint, I recommend Honda Elevate CVT or an XUV7OO AT as a replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
In the reliability v/s feeling-like-a-tank battle, I would always side with reliability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Jeep as a brand has been very unreliable in India at least. Have seen many examples on team bhp, where there are constant niggles(minor and major both) with even 2-3-year-old cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Fix the obvious signs of ageing, and spend about 10-15K to nicely polish the vehicle and detail it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I think you have other cars in your garage to emotionally attach yourself to. This looks like a sinkhole for your hard-earned money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto spawn View Post
My advice = sell it!
It’s already crossed 72k.
The XUV700 is one of my favourites, feels premium on the inside, and has a well-tuned suspension setup.
If you have the budget to stretch, I feel the AX7 would be the perfect upgrade!
Xuv 700 is good but can't match fun to drive factor of compass. Compass on 180 kmph feels like 120 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
90k for clutch replacement? I have no experience with Jeep whatsoever but this sounds a little inflated to me.
It is 90k brother, clutch and flywheel together cost 90k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsWagen View Post
Sell it, if you can afford it.
Don’t sell it for financial gain but because you have kind of stopped loving the experience of owning it.

Last edited by vattyboy : 5th December 2023 at 19:58.
vattyboy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 19:53   #21
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Also curious, if injectors are leaking from where they fit into the cylinder head, wouldn’t a simple replacement of the seal/o-ring fix the issue? Why does the whole set of injectors need replacement ?
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 23:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Jeep ASS sent me a quotation for the parts which needed replacement-

1. Whole Alternator Assembly - Rs 90k.
2. Engine C mount - Rs 15k.
3. Clutch Assembly- Rs 47k.
4. Flywheel- Rs 40k.
5. All 4 injectors- Rs 80k.
5. Vaccum pump cause there is leakage of oil- 12k.
5. Intercooler Hose pipe cause of oil leak- 9k.

Total Amount- 3 lacs.

And they give a warranty of only 6 months or 10k kms only.
Dealership is milking you don't repair it with them, if ever thinking of doing it. You did not even hit 1L kms and this much repair for clutch? Flywheel is built well and usually does not need repair unless, you have burnt the clutch twice. Injectors is usually warranty, first time hearing a leaking injector, usually it is an uneven spray. Vaccum pump leaks? Intercooler leaks? I did not hear such leaks causing that much repair. They did not include engine oil leak, is that the only place engine oil leaks from the engine? How is the timing chain cmg along?

FASS is trying to milk you, please don't budge. Sell it for good, even if you get it fixed, what if another repair comes up? You will have peace of mind, buy some car that has good service network and accountability in your area.
90Horses is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 00:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Also curious, if injectors are leaking from where they fit into the cylinder head, wouldn’t a simple replacement of the seal/o-ring fix the issue? Why does the whole set of injectors need replacement ?
I can see diesel or engine oil(can't confirm because there is a lot of dust trapped in it) in the area below all 4 injectors.
1 month ago ASS sent all the 4 injectors at 3rd party workshop for service but still the issue is present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
Dealership is milking you don't repair it with them, if ever thinking of doing it. You did not even hit 1L kms and this much repair for clutch? Flywheel is built well and usually does not need repair unless, you have burnt the clutch twice. Injectors is usually warranty, first time hearing a leaking injector, usually it is an uneven spray. Vaccum pump leaks? Intercooler leaks? I did not hear such leaks causing that much repair. They did not include engine oil leak, is that the only place engine oil leaks from the engine? How is the timing chain cmg along?

FASS is trying to milk you, please don't budge. Sell it for good, even if you get it fixed, what if another repair comes up? You will have peace of mind, buy some car that has good service network and accountability in your area.
It can be the case, right now I am replacing only the alternator and C mount. After taking the vehicle back, I will go to an Independent garage and I will let them check the vehicle.
Old 6th December 2023, 01:31   #24
BHPian

Sell it. This has nothing to do with the Compass build quality or durability. It's simply a case of being an accident vehicle that has become niggle prone. Even if you spend 2-3 lakhs on it, you may still face niggles after a few thousand kms again. However, as others have suggested, do get her checked from a reliable mechanic to see if these issues can be sorted at a lower and more reasonable price.

We are emotionally attached to our rides and I can totally understand your desire to hold on to her for a few more years. But sometimes we have such situations where you end up having more bad experiences and heartache/headache , instead of making great memories. If you are at that point, it's time to cut your loses and let her go.

As for your next ride, 700 is a great car but it won't feel like an upgrade. Will offer more space and all, but the Compass is what some would call as one of those irreplaceable cars. So take loads of test drives of multiple cars, before you pick your next steed.
EvilZombie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 12:18   #25
BHPian

It's not solely about financial gains but rather about investing time wisely. Only pursue it if you have the time, energy, and an additional vehicle. Unlike Toyota or Honda, resolving these repairs for a Jeep does not ensure minimal chances of new issues arising.
bravo82in is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 23:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Jeep as a brand is now on Ventilator, appears to be a payback from their old partner.
Fiat had to bite the dust, and right now it doesn't seem like Stellantis is having any luck with either Jeep, or Citroen.
idontdrivedoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 18:06   #27
BHPian

I have mentioned before on the other thread (accident) that if you want a niggle free experience then you should let this go. It has undergone a major front impact & some of the other problems will keep on appearing. Moreover, workmanship and the quality even at the best of dealership will never match peace of mind of factory assembled / put-together car.

This has happened to me with my other car, I was emotionally attached and got it fixed after the accident and planned to keep it as the second option, I have driven hardly 2K Kms in the last 12 months, and my overall driving this year is 22K KM+
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 09:35   #28
BHPian

Update

Received the car today from Jeep ASS. Now the car is driving well without any noise which I have mentioned before because of the new alternator.

1.Old Alternator, All parts are Imported
Retain the Jeep Compass or Sell it off | With its ageing, niggles are coming frequently-img20231210092837.jpg

Retain the Jeep Compass or Sell it off | With its ageing, niggles are coming frequently-img20231210092958.jpg

Retain the Jeep Compass or Sell it off | With its ageing, niggles are coming frequently-img20231210093029.jpg

2.Old Engine C mount

After changing this the vibrations in the car are reduced to half. Now it runs very silently.
Retain the Jeep Compass or Sell it off | With its ageing, niggles are coming frequently-img20231210092921.jpg

Retain the Jeep Compass or Sell it off | With its ageing, niggles are coming frequently-img20231210092940.jpg

Retain the Jeep Compass or Sell it off | With its ageing, niggles are coming frequently-img20231210092943.jpg

3. There is no leakage from injectors as of now. ASS guys opened the leaking injector, cleaned it and reinstalled it.

4. Clutch is good to go for another 10 to 15k kms.

If more problems arise in the car then I will sell it and buy another one.

Last edited by vattyboy : 10th December 2023 at 09:53.
vattyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 14:25   #29

Quote:
Hi guys, hope you all are doing well. I am here for your advice..
I know one excellent independent mechanic for Jeep Compass in Ahmedabad. I purchased a pre-owned 2018 D 2.0 Longitude in 2022 and have depended on this particular mechanic since then. I have had Alternater and 1 Engine mount changed at a very reasonable cost. Message me on Insta amogh.bhave I will guide you with his number and address.

I would suggest you not to sell your Jeep because trust me you will not enjoy the drive in the new cars if you enjoy driving the current one. I personally don't feel good while driving any of the new cars in the segment. Something is missing.. I guess that "something" makes the Jeep what it is.
amogh.bhave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 14:36   #30

Shreeji Car Care - Vastrapur, Ahmedabad

Piyush Bhai - +919558566191

Provides excellent service work and repairs for my 2018 Jeep Compass 2.0 Longitude..

I purchased it pre-owned at 51K km in Dec 22. Now ODO is at 84K.

Don't sell your Compass. I read you are considering XUV700. I won't recommend it, didn't like the drive personally.
amogh.bhave is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks