Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2023, 22:39   #1
BHPian

Retain the Jeep Compass or Sell it off | With its ageing, niggles are coming frequently

Hi guys, hope you all are doing well. I am here for your advice.

I own a Jeep Compass Limited(o) 2.0 Diesel manual which is 5 years and 2 months old right now. It was running fine till the 72k km mark. Then I met with an accident. You can check it out at the link below.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...eep-surat.html (My Jeep Compass accident | Repair advice needed. EDIT: Car repaired at Nanavati Jeep, Surat)

I got the car repaired at Jeep ASS and they did a very good job in repairing the car. The car just felt like new after all the repairs and I was happy at that time. I want to mention that the total bill came out to be 6.5 lakhs from which I paid 3.3 lakhs because I didn't have zero dep insurance cover at that time. In my life, it was the first time I didn't opt for zero dep cover and that happened.

Anyway, after getting the car repaired I closed my previous comprehensive insurance which was just 1 month old for which I paid 20k (I didn't get any refund because of this claim) and then I opted for HDFC ergo insurance with zero dep cover for 40k.

I also changed the brake pads, brake discs and timing belt for Rs 30k while the car was getting repaired

Now the car ran niggle free for another 10k km after which, there was a leakage in the injectors. The Jeep ASS suggested getting the injectors serviced because the car was out of warranty, they sent the injectors to 3rd party workshop and after 3 days returned the car to me. They charged Rs 10k for this.

The car ran well for another 5k km but now at present many niggles are coming into the car, Today I gave the car to Jeep ASS for checking and they will give the real estimate for the parts which need to be replaced on Monday.

1. I again saw the leakage from the injectors
( Cost Rs 17k for 1 injector )

2. The alternator belt/ pulley is making a very weird kind of noise just like the noise that comes when the 2 metal parts are rubbed onto each other. ( Cost Rs 10k for the belt, Rs 20k for the pulley and Ra 90k for the alternator) ASS will tell which is bad among these 3.

3. I think the Engine mounts are bad too, due to that there are vibrations in the engines and steering. ( There are 3 mounts for 14k each, Jeep Ass will tell which is bad after checking)

4. Clutch is due for replacement. Cost- Rs 90k.

5. There is minor engine oil leakage from the bottom part near the dipstick. ( Cost Rs 1k for repair).

Minimum to a minimum there is Rs 2 lakh expense ready right now. And in the last 10 months, I have spent close to 4.5 lakhs on the car.
And even if I spend the 2 big ones then there is no guarantee that niggles will not pop up in the car in the coming days.

I can't conclude that this is all happening because my car got involved in an accident or Jeep as a brand is unreliable.

Also, there is no JEEP ASS in my city Udaipur so I have to take the car to Surat but it is manageable for me till 2024 end because I travel to Surat frequently for work, after that it will be a headache.

I want you guys to suggest to me, whether I should sell the car or I should retain it
( I will get close to 10 lacs for resale value due to it being involved in an accident) .

Last edited by vattyboy : 2nd December 2023 at 23:44.
vattyboy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 10:38   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Retain the Jeep Compass or Sell it off | With its ageing, niggles are coming frequently

- Keep it. Read my thread on the 5-year car dilemma (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?).

- Also read my thread on NOT selling your car just because of repairs (Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!).

- A true upgrade from the Compass will cost a lot of money. The car is built like a tank, has a wonderful motor and an excellent suspension setup.

- A known devil is better than an unknown angel. New cars from almost all manufacturers are facing niggles & problems. The only 100% reliable cars today are cheaper Marutis using old engines & transmissions, and some other cars using traditional tech (e.g. Elevate with its tried & tested motors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vattyboy View Post
Minimum to a minimum there is Rs 2 lakh expense ready right now. And in the last 10 months, I have spent close to 4.5 lakhs on the car. And even if I spend the 2 big ones then there is no guarantee that niggles will not pop up in the car in the coming days.
- What you need is a really good independent mechanic in Udaipur or any nearby cities. You will shave 50 - 70% off your repair bills.

- You say you've spent 4.5 lakhs on the car, but that includes the accident repair cost, right? You cannot count that under regular maintenance & repairs.

- As the car ages and you near the 100,000 km mark, a lot of wear & tear components will naturally need replacement (e.g. your clutch, suspension). Even if you spend 50 - 100k a year in keeping your Compass in top shape, it is totally worth it. No point selling such a good car for 10 lakhs, and then another 20 - 30 lakhs on its replacement.

Last edited by GTO : 4th December 2023 at 10:39.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 09:33   #3
BHPian

Re: Retain the Jeep Compass or Sell it off | With its ageing, niggles are coming frequently

Agree with GTO. If you will have to replace the Compass with another car, it will cost you a pretty penny. Makes more sense to have it fixed at an independent garage and keep it for another 5 years.

However, I see that you also have a Seltos and a CLA. If you do not really need three cars, and wont be replacing the Compass with a third new car, then it makes sense to sell it off. Spending a fortune maintaining a niggle prone car that you do not really need will cause unnecessary headaches and expenses.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 09:33   #4
BHPian

Jeep ASS sent me a quotation for the parts which needed replacement-

1. Whole Alternator Assembly - Rs 90k.
2. Engine C mount - Rs 15k.
3. Clutch Assembly- Rs 47k.
4. Flywheel- Rs 40k.
5. All 4 injectors- Rs 80k.
5. Vaccum pump cause there is leakage of oil- 12k.
5. Intercooler Hose pipe cause of oil leak- 9k.

Total Amount- 3 lacs.

And they give a warranty of only 6 months or 10k kms only.

Is it worth spending the money or should I buy Xuv 700 Ax5 Diesel Automatic for 24 lacs after selling the compass for 10 lacs? Please suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Makes more sense to have it fixed at an independent garage and keep it for another 5 years.
Mquick is the best independent garage in Surat, I contacted them yesterday, and they told me that Jeep parts are not available aftermarket, so the parts have to be purchased from ASS only. The repair cost will not make much difference between ASS and Independent Garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- A true upgrade from the Compass will cost a lot of money. The car is built like a tank and has a wonderful motor and an excellent suspension setup.

- What you need is a really good independent mechanic in Udaipur or any nearby city. You will shave 50 - 70% off your repair bills.

- As the car ages and you near the 100,000 km mark, a lot of wear & tear components will naturally need replacement (e.g. your clutch, suspension).
1. I will buy a Xuv700 Ax5 D AT for 24 lakhs.
2. There are no good independent mechanics in a Small city like Udaipur. In Surat, Mquick is the best independent garage and they are also saying that Jeep aftermarkets parts are not available, parts have to be purchased from Jeep Ass only.
3. Yes true, but parts like the alternator, vacuum pump and injectors don't need replacement at 1L km.

Last edited by vattyboy : 5th December 2023 at 09:44.
vattyboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 09:45   #5
BHPian

That's a huge amount and spending it on a 6 year old vehicle would be a strict no for me, untill and unless you've an emotional attachment. I would have agreed with members to keep the car with you for long, if just required regular service but from the above post it seems, your car is needing much more than that. For example, Arun sir's Compass is running without much issues and has done more than 1.32L kms IIRC, but not so in your case. You've have enjoyed the car thoroughly and anyway you are past the 5 year upgrade itch, sell it and buy that XUV, it's a great machine.

Last edited by sachin_cs : 5th December 2023 at 09:47.
sachin_cs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 09:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

4. Flywheel- Rs 40k.

Total Amount- 3 lacs.

This right here is why Jeep Compass has such poor resale value. All this maintenance is required at this time, it is more or less periodic for this car/engine. Unfortunately, parts are ridiculously expensive.

As a fellow Compass diesel manual owner, I empathise. I’ve always said that maintaining a Compass requires Mercedes money. It’s a white elephant in this regard.

Quote:
Is it worth spending the money or should I buy Xuv 700 Ax5 Diesel Automatic for 24 lacs after selling the compass for 10 lacs? Please suggest.
Ideally, your costs would have been cut in half if you have access to a good FNG. My Compass is maintained at Worlds of Service Noida. Check up with them, they do provide support as far away as Udaipur.

700 is a very different animal. It is more comfortable and more refined, but feels very soft and loose in comparison. Doesn’t come close to the driving dynamics offered by Compass. Do take a long test drive to get a feel of it. I don’t see it as an upgrade or even as a similar replacement of Compass. But it will ace it if you need the space or if your usage is more city oriented. If highway usage is more, you will really miss the Jeep.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 09:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Contrary to what people are suggesting, I wouldn't keep the Jeep. It's 6 and the niggles it's throwing is unbelievable. I don't see the statement - 'built like a tank' relevant at all. If anything, it's hardly reliable. With such teething issues, what's the guarantee that you won't get any in the future? Of course it will cost a lot to upgrade but isn't reliability part of the package? The 7OO would be a perfect choice IMO.
Raghu M is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 10:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:

4. Flywheel- Rs 40k.

Total Amount- 3 lacs.

Let me put it this way.

Option-1:

-Repair Compass for 3 lakhs.
-You just spent 30% of the residual value on repairs.
-It is an aged accidental car with no guarantee of further reliability.
-You do not have access to a good mechanic.
-Jeep service centre is far away.
-Parts are not available in the open market.

This just sounds like a nightmare.

Option-2:

-Sell Compass for 10 lakhs.
-Spend another 14 lakhs on XUV700.
-You have a brand new car with manufacturer warranty.
-Availability of spares and service centres is not an issue at all.
-You get a nice upgrade in terms of space, comfort and equipment levels.

I think this makes more sense. I would prefer getting a new XUV700. You already have the Merc for driving pleasure, and the XUV700 is no slouch either.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 10:35   #9
BHPian

I would also SELL the Jeep. From what I see, you have to spend another 3L just to have the vehicle normally back again. Usually these mechanical running parts are bound to be changed somewhere closer to the 70K km mark you are in. But, getting everything done at the same time is bringing in the issue here. Which bill is coming next is the big question.

I would tell inform next buyer about the to-be-repaired costs and sell it. Or tell him why I am selling this at a price lesser than the similar ones (just so that Karma doesnt hit me back ).
shashi792 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 10:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Very tricky situation you are in.

If you try to sell this car, the buyer will factor in the repairs you have mentioned and reduce the price of the car.

I doubt you will get beyond 7.5 to 8 lakhs for this car in current state. (check Spinny / Cars24 once to get quote)

So your options are
1. Spend 3 lakhs and repair the car to sell it at 9-10 lakhs at best.
2. Spend 3 lakhs and keep the car, budget 1.5 lakhs per year for maintainence.

I would suggest option 2 but do the following.
  1. Get a reliable mechanic outside JEEP, at a manageable distance. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY!! If you cant find this, its unlikely for you keep upkeep costs low. SELL THE CAR in that case.
  2. Source parts on your own. I think Boodmo will ship it to your place. You will need to plan the repairs and not wait till the car is off-road
  3. Phase out repairs slowly, such that you dont get bills like this in one go. Mentally becomes much more manageable (speaking from owning a VW )
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 12:28   #11
BHPian

Jeep is proving to be as expensive as luxury German brands as far as maintenance is concerned, 3 lakhs for wear and tear parts on a 72k run car is way too much on a 25 lakh car, it is best you move on if budget is not a constraint, I recommend Honda Elevate CVT or an XUV7OO AT as a replacement depending on what suits best for your use case. XUV7OO may have some niggles, but Mahindra has been pro active in resolving most issues and the recent batches should be better, if you absolutely want a niggle free example, may be you can wait for another 6-8 months by when a refreshed version should be released with some upgrades, could happen sooner as the user manuals are already updated with the latest features.
abaliga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 12:37   #12
BHPian

In the reliability v/s feeling-like-a-tank battle, I would always side with reliability. In the current scenario, no car is perfect. Every brand has it's share of niggles. If you have the funds and are intent on purchasing a new vehicle by phasing-out the Compass, trust your gut and go for it. The resale on the Compass is anyway a nightmare and since you mentioned that it's already 6-years and throwing up niggles left, right and centre, there's no point of being bogged-down.
IamNikhil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 12:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can't conclude that this is all happening because my car got involved in an accident or Jeep as a brand is unreliable.

I want you guys to suggest to me, whether I should sell the car or I should retain it
( I will get close to 10 lacs for resale value due to it being involved in an accident) .
Jeep as a brand has been very unreliable in India atleast. Have seen many examples on team bhp, where there are constant niggles(minor and major both) with even 2-3 year old cars.

I would suggest you sell it. Even though the car is built tough and has great suspension and a potent diesel, it's not worth the headache. 3L is a huge amount for a 6 year old car.

You could get a Seltos FL GT Line at around 24L, which is a car of similar size and closest to Compass WRT to dynamics. Or you could go for a XUV700 but miss out on a lot of essential features. Scorpio N is another good option, which would be available at around 22L (Z8).
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 12:51   #14
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I think you have other cars in your garage to emotionally attach yourself to. This looks like a sink hole for your hard earned money.

I would go against the tide and say, sell it. Things like the clutch and suspension repairs are just around the corner at that mileage.
Tgo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 13:13   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Fix the obvious signs of ageing, spend about 10-15K to nicely polish the vehicle and detail it.

Put this up for sale, like the Polo enthusiasts you`ll find a Jeep enthusiast who will pick this up for a good deal of money.

Jeep as a brand is now on Ventilator, appears to be a payback from their old partner.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks