Tata Nexon EV 65 27.66%
Mahindra XUV400 7 2.98%
Hyundai Kona EV 12 5.11%
Other (please specify in your post) 12 5.11%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2024, 12:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Price-Cut MG ZS EV vs the Competition | Would you buy the ZS EV at the new, lower price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
We are planning to replace our 2014 City Diesel with a city-friendly car soon and ZS EV is one of the contenders along with other EVs. But, the only gripe is our budget is just 18L for a second car and I don't think we can extend the budget just for an EV.
Honestly you should extend your budget by a lakh because an EV like the ZS at 19 lakhs on road is going to be far more economical than an ICE car at 18 lakh. It will also be far more superior in performance. I would strongly recommend taking a test drive before committing to the ICE Car.
I've been using a Nexon EV since over 26 months now so I have quite a lot of skin in the game.
StrykerEV05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 12:59   #17
BHPian

Re: Price-Cut MG ZS EV vs the Competition | Would you buy the ZS EV at the new, lower price?

I wouldn't buy an MG - full stop! I am forced to buy a Chinese phone due to economics and lack of choice. I will be danged if have to go on to buy a Chinese car too. Make what you will of that! Jingoism, chauvinism or even hypocrisy - but there're limits.

Tata's Nexon does appeal if I was in the market for an EV, though XUV400 looks better to my eye. However, I am an old codger and prefer ICE over electric - so...

Last edited by Pennant1970 : 8th February 2024 at 13:03. Reason: Added paragraph.
Pennant1970 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 14:23   #18
BHPian

I will recommend Tata EVs only to folks with 100% city driving and absolutely no plans to use DC charging. Even then the quality, fit, and finish leave a lot to be desired.

The ZS EV is a CKD sold internationally with extremely sorted BMS and battery tech. It has become incredibly rare to hear of anyone stranded because of a breakdown in the community even after having sold more than 10k ZS EVs in India.

Service at MG service centers has been pretty pleasant although their knowledge of EVs is lacking.

Quote:
We are planning to replace our 2014 City Diesel with a city-friendly car soon and ZS EV is one of the contenders along with other EVs. But, the only gripe is our budget is just 18L for a second car and I don't think we can extend the budget just for an EV.
Most probably you will be getting a petrol engine if you go with ICE and that will mean high running costs of Rs 10 - 12.

That means simply driving 10k KMs on an EV means you break even vs ICE. Added advantages are smooth drive, power, and torque figures that are impossible for any ICE in that price range to match.

Of course, all that assumes you are going to charge at home. If you are going to rely on public DC charging, this math doesn't apply to you.

Last edited by shyampsunder : 8th February 2024 at 14:27. Reason: Adding more comments
shyampsunder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 15:38   #19
BHPian

Voted others. Will wait for the MG4. With EV's, I think it is always better to go with the latest platform. It is cheaper than ZS EV in global markets, so I think it will be priced around the base variant of ZS EV (wishful thinking). MG has earned my respect (they seem to have better trained staff - as the interactions with them have always been great). For an EV, I would any day prefer a global product tested and proven in our conditions.

I'm going through the struggle of dealing with poor quality control at Tata; the service centers are still not prepared to properly troubleshoot and fix an EV. Just learned that the recurring issue I have with charging might have been because somebody didn't do the repair by the book. The tech who did the job replaced the part like they would do on the ICE variant and skipped the software part of the job required for the EV.
Old 8th February 2024, 16:58   #20
BHPian

I have the 2020 as well as 2022 versions. The 2020 is more like a sports Car! Pedal to the Metal and your flying! 2022 has better manners. I would recommend the MG hands down! Its super reliable. in my 80,000km of EV driving, I've never been let down! The car performs well and the fit and finish are good! I have heard a lot of niggles in Tata. The vehicle is good but I would consider their products "near perfect". paint job is sloppy, rusted screws here and there. After sales is a question mark!
suryaj1990 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 17:57   #21
BHPian

Just yesterday, I read the entire price-cut discussion on the ZS EV
Voted for Nexon EV.

The facelifted Nexon EV is exceptionally a great looking and stylish car with good interiors, sound system, full of features, suspension and a proven and accepted EV.
Old 8th February 2024, 18:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I'd prefer going for MG ZS EV considering that it is a mechanically sorted vehicle and the interior feels upmarket despite the design being old. Had driven a 2023 ZS EV owned by a friend back in India and came back impressed with its drive.

Also, after the price cut, I feel ZS EV can give Nexon.EV and XUV400 as well as Kona run for money.

Sir, 18L is the budget cap, understandable, but have a look at the amount you shall be spending on fuel (ICE engine vs electric). Assuming the 18L vehicle you go, has a 45L fuel tank, the dealer may provide you with 5L (enough to reach the nearest filling station). 40L of petrol shall cost you Rs 3869/- In case of EV, its highly probable the dealer shall deliver the car at 100% charge!! This is just the begining of the cost towards petrol!! Rs 3869 for approximately 400 kms in a petrol vehicle - free in case of the EV you consider!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerEV05 View Post
Honestly you should extend your budget by a lakh because an EV like the ZS at 19 lakhs on road is going to be far more economical than an ICE car at 18 lakh. It will also be far more superior in performance. I would strongly recommend taking a test drive before committing to the ICE Car.
I've been using a Nexon EV since over 26 months now so I have quite a lot of skin in the game.
Having driven my MG Comet for 7161 kms for not even 3 months (one Gurgaon - Ajmer - Gurgaon trip) included, I am pretty satisfied. Just spent Rs 990 for the 5000 kms service!!

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th February 2024 at 22:35. Reason: Note from Support: Posts merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
ALTIMAed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 19:09   #23
BHPian

I have a nexon EV at home. I would anyday prefer more space and range over looks, styles and features. My choice is ZS Ev if I had the budget. At this starting price it will kill sales of a lot of ICE AT cars as well. Imho not just Tata but this price cut will cause a lot of problems for other manufacturers.

I would pay extra to avoid Tata Motors Sales and Tata Motors Service.

Last edited by psbali : 8th February 2024 at 19:13. Reason: Typo
psbali is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 19:17   #24

Loving the price wars!

Vote goes for ZS EV 2nd from bottom variant. Then the Nexon EV (both get LFP battery tech, which is better for our conditions) then the M&M (gets NMC, not the best for India) and last the Kona.

The 25% extra battery capacity is the biggest factor for choosing the ZS over the Nexon.
Owning a Tata EV is a pain (i own a Tigor EV). The service centers in Mumbai and Pune are absolutely pathetic wrt EV servicing (not much better for the ICE vehicles either). There are numerous niggles in Tata EVs. No matter how much people have bought their EVs, they have not been able to iron out the problems. I would never again buy a Tata EV. Would rather buy the TaMo share

The extra 25% battery means you can actually use the 40kwh battery(which one gets with the Nexon) with some in reserve. Although the new Nexon EV LR looks brilliant, it does the same 280km odd as the new Punch EV which is nearly 30% cheaper.

The longer range really does put you in a better state of mind. In my experience, if the real world range of a car is 200km, you will only end up using 170-180km of range as you are worried about being stranded. That's where the extra 25% comes into play.

I almost exchanged the Tigor EV for a 2023 Nexon EV Max in December (with a healthy discount) but didn't end up going through with it. Now thanking my stars!

Let's hope that the price wars continue and the common man wins!
Ray379 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 19:33   #25
BHPian

I would say don't buy an ev now unless it is an entry level one like Tiago / Punch. Nexon is new on the outside but mostly same as Gen 1 on the inside. The technology is fast evolving and in my opinion it is worth it if you have enough running to extract the car' worth within the warranty period.
So coming to the matter, Nexon,Kona,XUV v/s MG, I would go for MG. My reason, faster charging and a better well sorted car.
Old 8th February 2024, 19:54   #26
BHPian

I find it funny when people say the ZS EV is outdated vs the Nexon EV. But when it comes to the most important aspects of EVs, the ZS EV is much better than the Nexon EV. It has more real-world range, a bigger battery, and a higher DC fast charging capacity. For fast charging, even the XUV400 is better than Nexon EV. With such lower DC fast charging speeds, it will be much worse for longer distances.

Nexon EV was a revolution, especially for the price when it was launched in early 2020. It's a shame that in 4 years, Tata could not improve the main EV aspects of the car even an inch. Good that the competition is finally heating up in the EV space with price corrections of ZS EV and XUV400. I feel we will see even more discounts from the likes of XUV400 as the ZS EV's excite priced too close to comfort. These price cuts will also force Mahindra to price the XUV300 EV a bit sensibly.

Last edited by sri_tesla : 8th February 2024 at 19:55.
sri_tesla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 20:03   #27
BHPian

Never driven a EV, but voted for Nexon EV, looks so beautiful and sexy.

In my city population of 3.2M have hardly seen a couple of other EV's, but many Nexon EV.
Old 8th February 2024, 23:02   #28
BHPian

Nexon EV hands down for me, been in a terrible accident in one (facelift). We were rear ended by a Fortuner. Bad hit. Took out the whole boot. A Mercedes in front also suffered some damages (car jumped up with the impact and hit the car in front). No one injured, all were belted up.

Nothing against the MG, car wise, but I do not buy chinese stuff when comparable indian stuff is available.
regards kaps454
kaps454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 08:13   #29
BHPian

Voted - Others. My choice - Tiago EV

At this point in time, IMO an EV cannot be my primary car as I do drive on highways a lot more than city. If it has to be an EV, I would require at least 400+ kms real world range which is not an option in any of these. I do not have patience to stop for 45 to 50 min for charging for every 200 odd kms.

EV6 and Ioniq5 would suit me but they are way more pricier.

I would buy an EV as a city only car strictly, so spending close to 20L doesn't make sense to me.
Old 9th February 2024, 10:41   #30
BHPian

Not into EVs at the moment but Tata or Mahindra any day.
For one when a older model drops price it must've felt that in a market with newer products it's going to lose.
The Chinese typically enter market at lower price and higher frill features . Then they are caught by governments (in other countries too!) for cutting corners on safety, investment route,work ethics. Invested dealers will sell anything to survive. BYD tried the same and got caught early, so CKD route but at higher price point.
Parting line battery tech of Indian companies does need to keep up if they want to be market leaders.

Last edited by Freespirit27 : 9th February 2024 at 10:44. Reason: Spell checked

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks