Tata Nexon EV 65 27.66%
Mahindra XUV400 7 2.98%
Hyundai Kona EV 12 5.11%
Other (please specify in your post) 12 5.11%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2024, 12:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Price-Cut MG ZS EV vs the Competition | Would you buy the ZS EV at the new, lower price?

The news of MG launching a new base variant of the ZS EV has created quite a stir primarily because the starting price is now a lot more accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
MG has launched a cheaper variant of the ZS EV at Rs 18.98 lakhs. This is going to bring much-needed competition to the EV market. Now, both Nexon EV and XUV400 will be forced to lower their prices, especially the Nexon EV.
Comet EV also now starts at Rs 6.99 lakhs. This should have been the launch price for Comet.

https://www.autocarpro.in/news/mg-mo...gloster-118986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Woah!! This is true price war now. It is not only the new variant, the price of the existing variant "Excite" also reduced to Rs.19,98,000 ex showroom. This is the second cut in 6 months. The price is reduced by 2.88 lakhs. Net reduction in 6 months - Rs 3.33 lakh

I am surprised with the amount of padding MG was carrying in its electric cars.

Tata really needs to react now. Top variant of Nexon is also priced at 19.94 lakhs and it comes with only a 40 KW battery. Yes it has more features, but comparison will be between faster charging + range vs features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Thanks for sharing the updated brochure. Just went through the feature list difference between the new executive variant and the excite variants. None of these are really necessary features and they are not worth paying Rs 1 lakh extra. MG just killed Nexon EV and XUV400 longer-range variants with these new prices.

Features in excite over executive variant (for Rs 1 lakhs extra):
Wheel cover over alloys,
Silver finish roof rails,
Vanity mirrors,
Parcel shelf,
Luggage net,
Black tape on pillar,
Leather-wrapped steering wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
All this goes to show just how obnoxiously these EVs are being priced. All talk of 5L rupee delta between petrol and electric is marketing BS. Companies can reduce price significantly if they want to, they have all been pocketing all the benefit of the 5% GST.

ZS EV is a ageing product and has neither the settled ride of Nexon, nor the equipment levels. Not even a significant cabin space advantage. This price cut was much needed. God bless competition.

And pity the people who bought it for 28L just six months back. These guys deserve some form of compensation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
The cost of Lithium and Lithium Ion cells has fallen considerably.

See (https://www.reuters.com/markets/comm...ts-2023-12-01/ )

Some people mistakenly think lithium is rare - but there are plenty of resources around - people have been reluctant to develop them since they don’t know how prices will trend. That said we may see some volatility in prices since lithium supply demand will continue to be volatile over the next few years. But as more reserves are developed, and recycling technology improves, in my view, the long term price trend is down.

Further, the ZS now has LFP batteries rather than the costlier NMC batteries it originally had. Hence the price falls are not unnatural. That is the risk you take as an early adopter of a technology product.

Some people will see this as a disadvantage of EVs versus ICE vehicles - but the fact is that if EV prices fall, the resale value of all cars will be impacted - not just those of EVs.

Of course as those scale benefits kick in, governments will be tempted to increase their take - I would be surprised if GST is still 5% on EVs 5 years from now. So as with all products, don’t bother about how prices move going forward and enjoy something you were happy to pay for when you bought it. You don’t gain if prices of a car you bought rise and you don’t lose if they fall - unless you are a second hand car dealer.

The lower price also means that the ZS EV can compete against the very popular Tata Nexon EV. The lines have blurred and the two segments which were distinct earlier have somewhat merged into one.

Price-Cut MG ZS EV vs the Competition | Would you buy the ZS EV at the new, lower price?-screenshot-20240205-174513.png

Price-Cut MG ZS EV vs the Competition | Would you buy the ZS EV at the new, lower price?-screenshot-20240205-174540.png

Apart from the fact that the ZS EV is a bigger car, most people would be interested in the features on offer. However, when comparing the ZS EV to the Nexon EV and the XUV400, only certain variants would be relevant -
  • MG ZS EV – Executive & Excite
  • Tata Nexon EV Long Range – Fearless, Fearless+, Fearless+ S and Empowered+
  • Mahindra XUV400 – EL Pro

A glance at the cars' brochures would give some vital information about the features on offer as well.

• All three cars come equipped with 6 airbags, all-wheel disc brakes, hill assist, a touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto & Apple CarPlay (Nexon EV & XUV400 get wireless), auto headlamps and wipers, rear AC vents and connected car features.

• Nexon EV offers features like a 360-degree camera, wireless charging, a sunroof, ventilated seats, and vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-load technology which the ZS EV doesn’t. It even has an 8-speaker sound system compared to the 2-speaker system in the ZS EV.

• The ZS EV offers TPMS that the Nexon EV doesn’t.

• Nexon EV & XUV400 don’t get TPMS while the ZS EV does.

• XUV400 misses out on features like hill descent control, electronic parking brake, 360-degree camera, ventilated seats and vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-load tech.

So, with the updated prices of the MG ZS EV and the updates to the Tata Nexon EV and the XUV400, what would be your pick in the segment? There's also the age-old actual competitor to the ZS EV, the Hyundai Kona. Let us know your thoughts below.

Last edited by Omkar : 6th February 2024 at 12:02.
Omkar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 12:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Price-Cut MG ZS EV vs the Competition | Would you buy the ZS EV at the new, lower price?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Omkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 12:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Price-Cut MG ZS EV vs the Competition | Would you buy the ZS EV at the new, lower price?

First of all, god bless competition. If this aggressive move by MG makes Tata correct it’s prices, it will be great for in consumers as well as the market in general. Battery prices have come down substantially, but nothing has been passed on.

Coming to the cars, there is no scenario in which I am picking the XUV400 in a world where Nexon LR and ZS EV exist. Plain and simple.

Between the Tata and MG, the Nexon LR gets my vote. The car is newer(read as future proof), while the ZS looks and feels a generation older. Nexon comes fully loaded with all modern day features, while the ZS lower trims are positively naked. I can’t remember the last time I heard of any car with a 2 speaker audio system, while Nexon’s JBL can give Creta’s Bose setup a complex. Nexon rides better, handles better, has the better steering and feels posh inside out. The top end costs 21L on road, but it also feels like the very best 21L rupee petrol and diesel cars. Surprisingly, Nexon doesn’t let the ZS get a major cabin space advantage either, both cars have similar knees up seating at the back.

The only case for the ZS EV is if there is a specific requirement of frequent highway driving and road trips, where the bigger battery pack, faster DC charging abilities and the bigger boot provide a decisive advantage.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th February 2024 at 12:42.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 13:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

Between the Tata and MG, the Nexon LR gets my vote. The car is newer(read as future proof), while the ZS looks and feels a generation older. Nexon comes fully loaded with all modern day features, while the ZS lower trims are positively naked.
Surprising how things change so much in a generation. Havent sat inside either of these EVs but when it comes to ICE, the Astor felt a couple of levels above the Nexon in terms of interiors.

I would have thought the ZS had the same feel.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 14:02   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just yesterday, I read the entire price-cut discussion on the ZS EV Review thread, then stepped out for a walk in the area and saw a ZS EV on the road. Would I buy it? No. The ZS EV is an extremely sorted EV & its maker's vast experience with electric cars shows. The powertrain, suspension, less niggles etc. are all in favour of the car. But it looks terribly old inside & out. The MG ZS EV felt dated at launch, looks outdated today and will look like a history lesson in 10 years (I usually keep my cars for 10 years).

Voted for the Tata Nexon. Recently spent some time with the facelifted car & fell in love with it. What won me over = the styling, interiors, feature list, EV powertrain, sound system, suspension setup etc. What worries me = odds of bugs & problems, typical of freshly launched Tata cars. Won't be my only car, so am fine with the risk.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 14:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think it depends on what kind of use one is looking at. The ZS EV has 25% bigger battery than anything else on the list. In terms of efficiency, it should match or slot just below the Kona. It is also the best in terms of charging speeds. Any long trip should be less hassle and faster in the ZS EV.

I wouldn't call any of the others city cars, but if the use involves long trips or if it's going to be the only car in the household, I think the ZS EV is the better choice.
StarrySky is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 15:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

The ZS EV is the Polo of EVs. Outdated, but a high-quality product that gives you the feeling of a car from a segment above. If I were in the market for an EV today, it's a pretty sweet deal!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 15:41   #8
BHPian

Between the ZS & the Nexon:

A product which is proven and sold internationally, and comes with a 5 star EURO NCAP rating, vs a locally engineered product with questionable reliability & guaranteed niggles ranging from infotainment bugs to battery issues leaving you stranded?

I know which one I'd get.
d3mon is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 15:54   #9
BHPian

I think the pricing will help MG a little but not much. I have a friend who has both ZS and Nexon (early 2023 model) and have run both cars around 15000 km. He bought Nexon first and then bought the ZS, the reason to buy ZS was that it is upmarket and feels good as well inside out. But that is not the case anymore.

I am hoping that these are short term measures until Jindal's investment gets through and MG has more resources to play around so that they can launch new products. I think Comet was also launched like a quick fix.
youknowitbetter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 09:48   #10
BHPian

Would pick MG ZS EV (Executive variant) over XUV400 EL Pro (second priority) and Nexon LR (least priority). Here are my reasons:

1. Most sorted truly global product that is/was sold & supported in major markets like the UK & Australia. These markets are known very vocal & critical about products. No major issues known about ZS so far.

2. ZS Executive variant probably loses only sunroof over XUV EL Pro or various Nexon variants. All other "comfort" features seem to be there in ZS Executive. Can easily accessorize some of the missing features like aero wheel covers, parcel shelf, roof rails or black B pillars.

3. 50 KWh battery is major differentiator which makes ZS more bang for buck (VFM) compared to ~40 KWh from Nexon LR or XUV400. 10-KWh should theoretically give 20-25% more range than Nexon or XUV.

4. MG dealers are known to be pleasant compared to Tata or Mahindra.

Infact, I am currently contemplating to replace wifey's 5-year old Polo GT with ZS, although present car is working just fine. She too likes the thought of new electric car and especially ZS. Only thing stopping me is the thought that selling GT is a waste. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...rade-swap.html (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?)

Last edited by Comrade : 7th February 2024 at 09:53.
Old 7th February 2024, 10:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

XUV400 is out of the question, since Mahindra still a newbie when it comes to EVs and it looks ugly with all those rainbow colours. The real competition is between ZS, Nexon EV and Kona. Nexon EV is the best looker, but I don't have much trust in Tata's quality control. I have seen 3 Tata EVs ( 2 Tigors and 1 Nexon) till date that have got stranded on the road. Tata EVs are certainly higher in number on road, but my previous experience with Tata and whatever I have read about the issues faced by Tata EV owners in the forum does not inspire confidence. Kona and ZS both look outdated, but I will prefer Korean over Chinese for now. And Kona regularly runs 1-2 lakhs of discount in my region. So Kona gets my vote.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 00:21   #12
BHPian

Well just saw news of the 1 L discount on the Nexon EV. So Tata launches the new Nexon at almost the same price as the old one. Mahindra launches an XUV400 with better features and interiors than it’s own previous model while pricing it cheaper than the Nexon. MG sees all this, remembers that it turned 100 and goes down almost 3 lakhs on the ZS. Tata probably realised it already turned 100 a few decades back and is now throwing a belated party with 1 L off. What a glorious circus this is turning out to be. Maybe if we wait long enough, between the price wars and government subsidies we may start getting paid to buy an EV. Anyways for the poll, not voting as I have only experienced the ZS EV. Theoretically I would prefer it for the reasons mentioned above and:
-A cheaper variant from a segment above that has the basics right is a safer bet for me.
- Mechanically and electronically it is the better car
Re the points about the car ageing or the Nexon being feature rich and ignoring the typical Tata issues: Yes it’s an old design but the design is clean and should age well. Features get old quickly. Niggles can last the life of the ownership and could infact make you get rid of the car. Even if it’s a second or third car, dealing with any manufacturer for critical errors is going to be time consuming, the dealer experiences are frankly scary. Lastly, if it’s my first EV I would rather my bandwidth be occupied with issues like range, frequent charging and what not. Why would I want to add annoyances like infotainment hang ups and gear knob jams into the mix? 2 birds in hand are better than 8 in the bush. Of course as I said all this is theoretical stuff. Maybe one drive in the Nexon and I forget all these arguments, go YOLO or worse say “it’s never going to happen to me”
Iyencar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 06:56   #13
BHPian

I'd prefer going for MG ZS EV considering that it is a mechanically sorted vehicle and the interior feels upmarket despite the design being old. Had driven a 2023 ZS EV owned by a friend back in India and came back impressed with its drive.

Also, after the price cut, I feel ZS EV can give Nexon.EV and XUV400 as well as Kona run for money.

We are planning to replace our 2014 City Diesel with a city-friendly car soon and ZS EV is one of the contenders along with other EVs. But, the only gripe is our budget is just 18L for a second car and I don't think we can extend the budget just for an EV.
car_guy1998 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 10:01   #14
BHPian

I currently own a Tata Nexon Max 2.0. If i had been in the market for a new car today, It would have been tough to decide on which EV to buy. My heart would have wanted to pick Nexon.EV as it is feature packed and my head would have wanted to pick MG ZS excite just because of the bigger battery size.

Yes MG ZS is dated and needs a midlife refresh but a larger battery is worth much more than the tech in Nexon 3.0. Hence i would have chosen MG ZS EV Excite.

I am surprised @ 18.6 lakh on road in Delhi with updated interiors, nobody is ready to put in their money on XUV400. It has more space than Nexon and boasts of faster charging speeds than Nexon 3.0. It shows that how important features/tech are for buyers.

All said and done, I am loving the price wars.
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 10:40   #15
BHPian

An EV with a 50-60 KWh battery has enough range to easily be the only car in the garage/ designated highway car.

That status unlocks more functionality (and budget) than one with 30-35KWh that can manage city duties with ease but can't manage much on the highways. While it is *possible* to road trip even on a Tiago MR, just like it is *possible* to go to Ladakh on a TVS Scooty Pep, there are better vehicles to do the job more effortlessly.

Battery upgrade prices in the market are now at 15k/KWh making it a no brainer to opt for the bigger battery for single car garages. At least in the more expensive cars like the ones on this list.

ZS EV Excite and Executive editions at its new prices are game changers. They unlock functionality that no number of sunroofs, screens, speakers and amplifiers can unlock. A lakh spent extra on a 10KWh bigger battery is much better spent than the same amount spent on fancy gizmos that lose their novelty in exactly 3.5 days.

For that reason and that reason alone, my vote went to the ZS EV. A price cut on the Nexon EV LR will not bring its desirability quotient back. Nexon EV MR has none left AFA I am concerned. The only thing now that can win it back for the Nexon EV is a bigger battery. The voting pattern shows this undeniable fact.

P.S.: About time BYD dropped prices of the Atto 3 and the E6 by about 5-6 lakhs and made lives of Indian OEMs even tougher.
antz.bin is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks