Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2008, 14:16   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalamit View Post
1) Just curious that a lot of folks mention that the safari has a lot of niggles initially. Can someone highlight whats up with the 2.2 on this?

2) Also, how excessive is the body roll in the safari?

1.As has been mentioned earlier, please visit spare parts dealers and car mechanics who actually service and repair the above vehicles. It would clear quite a bit.

In comparison to the Innova the Safari has pronounced/excessive body roll. But then the occupants get a much plusher ride over varied surfaces.

My views only. Please do not get offended.
Old 12th January 2008, 18:24   #77
BANNED

Could you send me a copy of them if u do not mind, i would transfer the money via Net Banking if you would do it for me.

Pls let me know,

Amit is still deciding on either of the cars. I think we must give him some more time.
Old 12th January 2008, 21:15   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
And being an auto enthusiasts forum, we take (and should take) every opportunity available to correct that misconception.
Most safari's on this forum are not SUVs but just 2 wheel drives, like the innova.
Most people buy 4x2 safari, and as a classification, that makes it a people mover(albeit a better looking one) than the innova.
Old 12th January 2008, 22:44   #79
BHPian

I had a short test drive today of the safari in the city. It did feel good. I did sit on the rear seat and did feel the body roll to some extent... but then again, this was a short drive.

Coming Thursday, I will be taking a longer TD and then decide.
Old 13th January 2008, 02:05   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Could you send me a copy of them if u do not mind, i would transfer the money via Net Banking if you would do it for me.
PM me address, I will send copies. Money, Thank you, but NO thank you. It gives me great satisfaction seeing your fondness for the Iconic car and the movie series.
cheers:
Old 13th January 2008, 10:21   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Most safari's on this forum are not SUVs but just 2 wheel drives, like the innova.
Most people buy 4x2 safari, and as a classification, that makes it a people mover(albeit a better looking one) than the innova.
TSK, that depends on what your perception of the term SUV is; just by the way, what is your understanding of a "people's mover" - all 4x2s?

Please do not mix up the terms "off-roader" and "SUV". Just for the heck of it, why not bring the Tavera in as well? Good old 4x2 & a "people's mover". Or, even better - the newly launched Chevrolet Captiva - to use your logic, its a "people's mover" & not a SUV (since it is 4x2)? And ALL the non 4x4 Scorpio's (which makes it all since there are very few 4x4s) are "people's movers" & not SUVs!

Lol - sometimes I wonder!

Last edited by suman : 13th January 2008 at 10:23.
Old 14th January 2008, 14:13   #82
BANNED

I feel suman that this thread is going the same way we had a thread fight between SAFARI/INNOVA and SCORPIO.

Why should all threads lead in the same way,

Amit had not even mentioned he wanted an "offroader" or "SUV". He only meant he wanted few inputs between the Safari or INNOVA

Lets move on sticking to the concept of this thread.
Old 18th January 2008, 11:46   #83
BHPian

Thanks for the pointers... currently i am giving a serious look at the need of a 4x4. If i do go for a safari, i will take the 4x4. I am scheduled for a long drive this weekend. Manipal motors is to get a 4x4 for a TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I feel suman that this thread is going the same way we had a thread fight between SAFARI/INNOVA and SCORPIO.

Why should all threads lead in the same way,

Amit had not even mentioned he wanted an "offroader" or "SUV". He only meant he wanted few inputs between the Safari or INNOVA

Lets move on sticking to the concept of this thread.
Old 28th February 2008, 19:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

My Opinion, having TD both the Innova and Safari before buying the Safari:

- Innova 7 seater with captain chairs in the 2nd row for IMP's grandpa.

- OriginalAmit : If you have a small family and go wandering, you may like the safari. It has good presence, is a comfy cruiser, and has that wee bit xtra ground clearance to handle some of your trips to the forest. If you have the budget go for the 4x4 EX.

If you have a larger family of 3+ adults who need to travel, look no further than the Innova. And hey... TD the Sumo Grande too BTW.

cheers!
Happy Motoring.
Old 2nd March 2008, 17:10   #85
BHPian

hey amit , do let us know soon what and why the choice.. i have been keenly following this thread as im also in a similar dilema(though no forest trips) giving up my current ride for one of these two as i came down with a slipped disc.
I know that this decision isnt easy and needs careful consideration given the fact that hard earned money needs to be well spent geting quality and value for money,
and guys ... pls try and stick to the topic and help amit(and also me) with relevent replies and inputs ..
Old 2nd March 2008, 21:46   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
My Opinion, having TD both the Innova and Safari before buying the Safari:

- Innova 7 seater with captain chairs in the 2nd row for IMP's grandpa.

- OriginalAmit : If you have a small family and go wandering, you may like the safari. It has good presence, is a comfy cruiser, and has that wee bit xtra ground clearance to handle some of your trips to the forest. If you have the budget go for the 4x4 EX.

If you have a larger family of 3+ adults who need to travel, look no further than the Innova. And hey... TD the Sumo Grande too BTW.

cheers!
Happy Motoring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brat001 View Post
hey amit , do let us know soon what and why the choice.. i have been keenly following this thread as im also in a similar dilema(though no forest trips) giving up my current ride for one of these two as i came down with a slipped disc.
I know that this decision isnt easy and needs careful consideration given the fact that hard earned money needs to be well spent geting quality and value for money,
and guys ... pls try and stick to the topic and help amit(and also me) with relevent replies and inputs ..
almost same dilemma.

My reasons.

Was put off by Innova's A.S.S. which was a priority among other things in my list. And felt Safari to be more powerful.
Old 2nd March 2008, 21:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

Innova/Safari give much much better comfort/quality than Sumo Grande.

Choose Innova If more than 5 people travel, If you need peace of mind quality, less body roll, easy to drive all compared with Safari.

Choose Safari If you need comfort while driving in non existant roads, great looks for cheap buy, max. 5 people travel in the vehicle, easy to fix the issue ( I mean its TATA hence simple technology).

If Innova ends with issues on highway, most of the times road side mechanic can't figure out while he could do something for Safari(but not sure about Safari 2.2 new version ).

TD and do let us know your decision with details.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:16   #88
BHPian

Brand New; Safari > Innova

1 year after,

Innova > Safari

TATA cars break up after 1 year and are completely different story altogether. As you know Toyota > TATA (no disrespect to TATA, but Toyota is just way better in long term with no real issues where as TATA will be loaded with issues after 1 year)

Also since TATA puts out new model every 6 months, the resale values of their vahicles take severe hit.
Old 3rd March 2008, 01:51   #89
Senior - BHPian

forget scorpio forget innova and forget the safari!

just buy a second hand pajero you will just love it more than any indian suv and the off roading capability will amaze you! you should be able to get one with a couple of extra lacs after all right?i think you can still get a little older one at this price is what i feel need inputs here people as i am not very sure of the price but the vehicle does rock!.

finding a good and well maintained one is the only problem, the spares and the a.s.s. is quiet okay and the vehicle is very much reliable, diesel, good to maneuver in the city traffic and is robust just right for you i feel.

Last edited by rider60 : 3rd March 2008 at 01:57.
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:04   #90
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
TATA cars break up after 1 year and are completely different story altogether. As you know Toyota > TATA (no disrespect to TATA, but Toyota is just way better in long term with no real issues where as TATA will be loaded with issues after 1 year)

Also since TATA puts out new model every 6 months, the resale values of their vahicles take severe hit.
see those are the main gripes against tata cars, else they are as good as any.

1. Build quality....Safari is an awesome product but we see more innovas and scorpios because many people dont have time/energy to get the small niggles fixed. Extended warranty can take the financial pain out of equation, but you still need to invest time and energy. As someone said, his safari was married to service advisor or who wants a wife who likes to go to her "maayka" on a regular basis.

2. *** - anyone who has owned a tata car can vouch for their improving service...but it aint there yet. Ample stories of tata's taking days to fix the issues or unable to fix the problems...

3. Resale - safari looses 50% value in 3 years as compared to innova which looses only 60-70% value. but if you are going to ground the car to dust, then this might not matter.

but still the product is great and if you are motivated enough, it makes sense to buy it.

That said, unfortunately, there is no product that comes closest to being perfect. Cons of each are...
1. Safari - A.S.S, Poor quality
2. Scorpio - Costly than Safari, cramped, poor ride quality
3. Innova - high cost, not vfm. looks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks