Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 22:26   #31
BHPian

Here what my CR-V manual says:-

Off-Road Guidelines
"Your car has been designed primarily for use on paved roads. But its higher ground clearance allows you to occasionally travel on unpaved roads. It is not designed for trail-blazing, mountain climning, or other challenging off road activities."

Then there are 5-6 pages on how to drive off road and cross shallow water and all. And go up and down steep slopes.

CR-V is a softroader but has 4WD option available in one of the variant.

I wonder why is GV a SUV and not a soft-roader? Cause I remember a poll on overdrive:- which is the best soft roader CR-V or GV.
Does GV has a more powerfull engine? Or there is something else I am missing.
Old 15th July 2008, 22:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
Here what my CR-V manual says:-

I wonder why is GV a SUV and not a soft-roader? Cause I remember a poll on overdrive:- which is the best soft roader CR-V or GV.
The latest one doesnt even look so when you compare with older GV.
Old 16th July 2008, 00:59   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest wait till you can check out:
1. 2009 GV (with 2.4L engine)
2. Outlander
3. VW Tiguan

I am going to do this myself. Lookswise, GV has stolen my heart.
The 2.4L engine will just make it the ideal SUV for me...

Interestingly, Outlander comes with VW PD Diesel engine (similar to the one in Tiguan) so it will be interesting to find out which one feels better...but VW is expensive to service and so is mitsu.

So here is what I have thought:
switch (engine+transmission)
{
case (PD + DSG): Tiguan; // will be steeply priced
case (2.4L MIVEC+CVT): Outlander; // don't like the looks
case (2.4L Petrol): // I need this engine
default: GV; // I will take it
}

My default choice is GV 2009
(owing to looks + price + offroad capability + service costs).

Last edited by anandpadhye : 16th July 2008 at 01:10.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:54   #34

Would vote for the GV

Hello friends, my first post as a member. Found this forum very helpful on the GV information and also a great information bank on automobiles. Thank you to everyone on the forum. I will try my best to participate.

Planning to buy a GV myself, probably this week.

I test drove the MT as well as the AT , compared with CRV as well as Captiva. and my humble opinion is as follows.

Pros GV

1. Found the GV to be a decent car. Thrashed it around on a semi off road zone (aarey) in Mumbai as well as city traffic. Pretty good handling.
2. Comparing atleast 4-5 lacs cost saving as compared to CRV and Captiva, i think the interiors and features are well provided. Not a lot of jazz but not bad either. (4-5 lacs is substantial for me)
3. Space inside the car is quite good.
4. Maruti A.S.S should be more cost effective as compared to others.
5. Fuel economy (as discussed on the forum) approx 7 city, 9 HW should be good enough for this car.

Killer looks !!! Like a Range Rover (untill hopefully i can afford a RR someday.)

Cons GV

1. My mother and wife are concerned that they don't see it on the road !! (maybe thats a being unique factor ?)
2. Was told that engine, electronics etc spares will have to come from Japan.
3. No extended warranty offered at this moment.
4. Didn't find any lack of power for my kind of use (no real off roading) but the specs on BHP & Torque are not impressive.
5. No discounts / loyalty bonus offered.

I would vote for it. However since i haven't bought it yet am open and would request feedback if its a good choice to buy.

This will be my second car (have an accord 2.4MT) for daily use and i will typically use this car for weekend travel to Pune by expressway. Buying it as my long term dream of having a SUV.
(probably emotions ruling the decision and hence the request for advice)

Am i making a wise decision ?

If money is not an issue, would vote for captiva over CRV. Solid build and a great road presence. But maintenance will be expensive.

Thanks
RJ
Old 16th July 2008, 13:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

For an suv I will any day buy younger brother of Montero and pajero and also EVO.

But will never buy elder brother or rather Uncle of Zen, Wagon R or Swift.

Outlander if priced well will be a good success, its ranked as one of the most FE car of its segment.

Another big reason - The ads on you tube are simply great.
Old 16th July 2008, 13:40   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GV has stuff like cemter LSD, 4WD Low etc., which allow more serious off roading. CRV does not have this.
Disadvantage of GV is that this type of vehicles can suffer panel damage due to bushes, stones etc.,
Old 16th July 2008, 13:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Likely that next lot purchased by Maruti may only be 2.4 as it comes as CBU. October / November / December only Maruti will know. But before year is out definite.
IIRC the GV comes as an SKD and not CBU.
Old 16th July 2008, 17:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I am still leaning towards GV, but my wife says (what is it with women? 'Need for Speed' got the same response) 'don't be a fool and buy a car that is never seen on the roads'. But I am confident that I will get my way :-)

VW Tiguan is out of my list - can't wait indefinitely, and I am sure that they will price it higher to maintain the 'premium' VW positioning. And the VW brand doesn't mean that much to me.

Would be great if the 2.4L GV comes out in the next 2 months. I will definitely wait till Outlander is launched, and then take the call.

The GV has better offroading capabilities than the other options people listed (except the Endy). And I have started dreaming of taking my car - someday - to the Raid de Himalayas.

@ tsk1979: What was that about the GV being more prone to damages from bushes/ rocks etc.? Didn't understand - unless you are implying that a GV driver will take the car to rougher terrain.
Old 16th July 2008, 19:48   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
IIRC the GV comes as an SKD and not CBU.
CBU imports from Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The GV has better offroading capabilities than the other options people listed (except the Endy). And I have started dreaming of taking my car - someday - to the Raid de Himalayas.
I know a GV owner in Delhi who is seriously contemplating that line of thought ;-) NO not me. I was happy just to drivei to Leh and back. See my thread about off visits to exotic places.

Quote:
@ tsk1979: What was that about the GV being more prone to damages from bushes/ rocks etc.? Didn't understand - unless you are implying that a GV driver will take the car to rougher terrain.
If you are after serious off roading then the underbody is rather weak .... as compared to that sturdy vehicle called jeep or gypsy. Do not buy anything but M&M offerings then.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th July 2008 at 19:54.
Old 16th July 2008, 20:05   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Side panels are expensive to repaint in case of expensive cars like GV.
Even in case of gypsy I was worried about hits from branches which could dent the body when we used to go into forest area
There were 2WD M&M there which used to go deeper than us. The gypsy could do better inclines, and could ford deeper water and never got stuck, but in forest area we did not go deep where branches would constantly scrape the sides. Our gypsy had scraches from small branches which would require lots of rubbing compound to go away, and even after that quite a few will remain
However with something like a M&M jeep you don't worry about such stuff.
Heck even with gypsy scratch repairs will not cost a bomb.
Now imagine an expensive offroader, you definitely won't like branches hitting the sides
Old 16th July 2008, 21:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder why is GV a SUV and not a soft-roader?

I ll try to answer the above the best I can..

I would not call the GV a proper off roader, but still it is more capable than the CR-V off road.
  • GV has a High Ground Clearance (200 mm vs. 185 mm)
  • GV has a shorter wheelbase (AFAIK)
  • GV has the central locking diff with a All Time 4X4
For the record, I have a CR-V
Old 16th July 2008, 21:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Did anybody hear about the launch of Fortuner by Toyota.

If that is being launched then i think that will pose a serious competitor in your selection
Old 16th July 2008, 21:42   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
  • GV has a High Ground Clearance (200 mm vs. 185 mm)
  • GV has a shorter wheelbase (AFAIK)
  • GV has the central locking diff with a All Time 4X4
For the record, I have a CR-V
I can add two more points to this list.
  • It has 4L option with 1.97 torque multiplication.
  • GV has unibody on ladder chassis
Old 16th July 2008, 22:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to add about Fortuner. Based on what I heard after New Corolla and Innova with few extra features like auto clomate control, cosmetic changes launch, Fortuner will debut in India. Expect Fortuner early or mid 2009. I guess pricing might be around 17 lacs on road Bangalore. ( I am sorry If won't turn out to be true but trust me )

If you can wait till that time its worth a wait by then you can compare New Grand Vitara which will debut by then and Fortuner to take a good call. But it might turn out to infinite wait I fear because there are poeple who waited for Fortuner from last 3 years.

2010 is supposed to be very good year to buy SUV since by then lot of stable models we can see in the market

Ravi.
Old 17th July 2008, 00:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I forgot to add about Fortuner. Based on what I heard after New Corolla and Innova with few extra features like auto clomate control, cosmetic changes launch, Fortuner will debut in India. Expect Fortuner early or mid 2009. I guess pricing might be around 17 lacs on road Bangalore. ( I am sorry If won't turn out to be true but trust me )

If you can wait till that time its worth a wait by then you can compare New Grand Vitara which will debut by then and Fortuner to take a good call. But it might turn out to infinite wait I fear because there are poeple who waited for Fortuner from last 3 years.

2010 is supposed to be very good year to buy SUV since by then lot of stable models we can see in the market

Ravi.
Waiting for Fortuner = Like waiting for Godot :-)
Will have to take a call by October. Can't wait too long unless there is confirmed news of a improved value proposition coming along in the near future - e.g. the 2.4L GV in the same price range.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks