Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 17:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

PLanning to buy an SUV - Grand Vitara or Outlander (or Endeavour 4x4)?

Cross posting from the Outlander thread.

Am planning to buy an suv in October. Had almost decided on the GV (influenced by Samurai's and Sudev's postings), but ever since I started research the Outlander, I am in two minds. Right now am now torn between the Outlander and the Grand Vitara (with the Endeavour 4X4 as a distant 3rd). Any suggestions? Is it worth paying a 3-4L premium for the Outlander for some extra space and power, albeit with reduced offroading capabilities? This car will be self driven, and will go on mountain + jungle tracks - hence some offroading capability is desired.

To summarize:

GRAND VITARA
(+)
* Low(er) price
* Maruti network
* Better offroading capabilities
* Decent fuel efficiency

(-)
* Smaller size - matters since I have a 5 month old daughter plus a large, energetic Irish Setter
* Lower power (don't think this should matter though)
* Low sales - can't figure out why sales have gone down so much compared to that of other vehicles - higher fuel price doesn't explain it since others are still selling

OUTLANDER
(+)
* Longer - more space at the back (4640 mm vs 4470 for the GV)
* Slightly more power
* Better interiors (from what I can see on international sites)
* Slightly better fuel efficiency - if I compare the US versions

(-)
* More expensive: by 3-4 L
* Offroading compromise - is this strictly true?
* Mitsubishi servicing

ENDEAVOUR - only reason I might consider is because it is a 7 seater; however, it would be difficult to drive such a large car in the city. Btw, I somehow don't like the CR-V -anyway the 4X4 is out of budget (and so is the Pajero).

Need some help with the decision-making process. Thoughts from the experts and owners?
Old 14th July 2008, 17:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

At this price the GV makes the most sense. The reason why the GV didn't sell much could be attributed to bad advertising that Maruti did for this car. I haven't seen any decent ad for the car as I have seen for other maruties. The other reason is the lack of a diesel option.

Lastly, if I had the money (or rather, lack of it), I would have chosen the Vitara purely for its looks...!
Old 14th July 2008, 17:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

So the Outlander is going to be around 18 lacs ex-showroom? Sounds a little steep to me, another pricing disaster from HM?
Old 14th July 2008, 17:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

GV is petrol, Outlander would be too and at 18lac???

@ 18lac you can get the Pajero, its tad old tough.

Why not Indian SUVs?
Old 14th July 2008, 17:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Outlander @ 18 L

I called up Southern Motors, Bangalore today, and they said that the price would be between 20 - 21 L on road. The Vitara AT is 16.8 on road.
Old 14th July 2008, 17:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

As you said I could be biased but HM's service is nothing to boast about and even now some of my friends owning lancers have had a longish wait for parts (Montero parts are disaster)

Is the price and delivery estimated or announced/firm?

Why not wait for outlander? By that time Gv should also be available in 2.4L avtar. It would be interesting to see how Maruti prices that one.
Old 14th July 2008, 17:29   #7
BHPian

My vote would go to the Vitara for Maruti's A.S.S. and Suzuki's genes! You claim that Vitara is low on power. May I ask, compared to what? I am sure you won't enter a drag race with a SUV and for everything else, the Vitara is more than capable. Mitsubishi is married to an arrogant and useless partner in the form of HM in India who are driven by people of the license raaj era and are absolutely out of touch with the ground reality in India.
Old 14th July 2008, 17:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is the outlander out already?
Looked at a scoop in autocar and the car did look quite good.
I think you should wait and see if a diesel variant comes in !
Old 14th July 2008, 17:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
As you said I could be biased but HM's service is nothing to boast about and even now some of my friends owning lancers have had a longish wait for parts (Montero parts are disaster)

Is the price and delivery estimated or announced/firm?

Why not wait for outlander? By that time Gv should also be available in 2.4L avtar. It would be interesting to see how Maruti prices that one.
The dealer said that Outlander should definitely be out by October 2nd week. And that while the price is yet to be frozen, it will be between 20 & 21 L on-road.

I read in one of your posts that the GV 2.4L will be available end of year - I assumed December or later. Prefer not to wait that long. Any chance that the new GV will be out in October (or latest early Nov)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
My vote would go to the Vitara for Maruti's A.S.S. and Suzuki's genes! You claim that Vitara is low on power. May I ask, compared to what? I am sure you won't enter a drag race with a SUV and for everything else, the Vitara is more than capable. Mitsubishi is married to an arrogant and useless partner in the form of HM in India who are driven by people of the license raaj era and are absolutely out of touch with the ground reality in India.
I said 'lower in power' - the emphasis on the 'er'. Lower compared to the Outlander.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th July 2008 at 19:43.
Old 14th July 2008, 18:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I read in one of your posts that the GV 2.4L will be available end of year - I assumed December or later. Prefer not to wait that long. Any chance that the new GV will be out in October (or latest early Nov)?
Likely that next lot purchased by Maruti may only be 2.4 as it comes as CBU. October / November / December only Maruti will know. But before year is out definite.

Is it likely you will see outlander in two wheel drive version? Like GM did with Captiva to save on pricing? But at +-20lac there is big difference between GV and this.

Even in 2.4L I do not think MUL has much scope to increase pricing as there are others slotted around 16lac mark.
Old 14th July 2008, 18:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

i think a captiva would be a better bet. but among the trio, i would suggest a outlander if you can live with the poor after sales support of HM whereas maruti's service would be much much better. i dont like the GV somehow.
Old 14th July 2008, 19:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i think a captiva would be a better bet. but among the trio, i would suggest a outlander if you can live with the poor after sales support of HM whereas maruti's service would be much much better. i dont like the GV somehow.
Captiva is too expensive, and only 2WD.

And (to answer Sudev's point) if Outlander is launched with only a 2WD option, then it goes out of my list. Does anyone know whether the standard 2WD/ 4WD/ 4WD-L option will be available?
Old 14th July 2008, 20:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there is an only FWD version of the outlander. I could be wrong though.
Old 14th July 2008, 20:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I don't think there is an only FWD version of the outlander. I could be wrong though.
Just pulling your leg but FWD is front Wheel Drive 4x4 is four wheel drive....
Old 14th July 2008, 20:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

Nilanjanray, among your con list for GV, the power and low sales shouldn't really matter. The only problem I see is the space for the dog. But that would be a problem in any SUV, 5 or 7 seater. In my opinion, the only vehicle that is dog friendly is the 7 seater Innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Nilanjanray is looking for a 4x4 which can do some moderating off-roading, so your 2WD Captiva suggestion is totally out of place, even worse than GV somehow.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks