Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
by city SUV, i mean an SUV which is equally at ease in congested city roads, which the safari is not. again this statement is in comparison to its competition.
Raj, you are once again generalizing without having adequate driving experience of the Safari in congested city conditions.

Quote:
and drivebility has nothing to do with the shape of your vehicle. it more baout your engine and gearing.
So why not recommend the ANHC A/T?

Quote:
i hope you got my point.
Nope, I don't think we did but let that not give you sleepless nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Could you please elaborate which Indian SUV you find better to drive in the city as compared to the safari and why?
Come on Tejas......as Sumit has said, obviously the Scorpio
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:04   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

i think you guys should also read this thread by bkishore_77:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ri-2-2vtt.html

On another note, what the safari is to indian SUVs, is like what the enfield is to bikes. You get a lot of respect from cops as well!
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

Where is the thread starter ?

Please ask him what he thinks now and if he still have any doubts about Safari's driveability in city ?

One more thing i forgot to mention,Parking safari or driving safari is more dependent on driver skills,i dont understand why everyone is pointing that out.
if you dont know how to drive/park properly then please dont blame on safari or any other SUV

i have seen lots and lots of people having trouble parking Altos,zen etc

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 2nd December 2008 at 14:39.
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:43   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Where is the thread starter ?

Please ask him what he thinks now and if he still have any doubts about Safari's driveability in city ?

One more thing i forgot to mention,Parking safari or driving safari is more dependent on driver skills,i dont understand why everyone is pointing that out.
if you dont know how to drive/park properly then please dont blame on safari or any other SUV

i have seen lots and lots of people having trouble parking Altos,zen etc

i totally agree with you on the driving skills of the person behind the wheel as regards to parking. However, only problem i have found is getting such a wide parking spot available as most of the vacant spots barely manage to fit in c-segment sedans.
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:44   #50
BHPian

Guys!!!!

+1 sunny. And folks let this not again turn into Scorpio / Safari battle!! Both are brilliant vehicles with absolute character . So let the thread starter decide in this matter and lets wait for his comments.

PS: Guess breezy would be dumb struck by now!!!
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:55   #51
BHPian

Hey Breezydrive,

So what’s going on finally? Have you made up your mind as yet, come on go ahead and buy the 2.2 DICOR monster, tame her and she will take care of you for a real long time to come. Keep her clean and well maintained.
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:04   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please elaborate which Indian SUV you find better to drive in the city as compared to the safari and why?
[Flame Guard ON]
If I am allowed to comment...I did a test drive of Safari and Grande back to back few weeks back and found Grande to be more nimble in city driving.
[Flame Guard OFF]
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:06   #53
BHPian

On a weekend Relax, take a deep breath, get down from your car, smell the coffee, take a stroll around the lush greenery, play a game of marble with the village lads and get back into your monster, drive off, On a Monday Seat your clients in class leading comfort in your car and get them to conference their counterparts globally, drive them into and out of your office, send your driver along with them and let them shop till they drop ,what else comes to your mind. The safari of course... Make up your mind.. Now…..
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:44   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda.sanjay View Post
On a weekend Relax, take a deep breath, get down from your car, smell the coffee, take a stroll around the lush greenery, play a game of marble with the village lads and get back into your monster, drive off, On a Monday Seat your clients in class leading comfort in your car and get them to conference their counterparts globally, drive them into and out of your office, send your driver along with them and let them shop till they drop ,what else comes to your mind. The safari of course... Make up your mind.. Now…..
WAH! i can almost picture that... P.S. send your driver with your credit card to my place...

EDIT: @ VooDoo
the engines for both are same and hardly any difference in size. I haven't driven the sumo grande so i guess i'll take your word for it though. Unless other members have a different opinion between the two tata siblings.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 2nd December 2008 at 15:46.
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda.sanjay View Post
Sanjay, I think you may have just come up with the next Safari ad. Brilliant
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:20   #56
BHPian

hee hee, thanks for that , I am not making any points here, its just that the safari has come a long way and we grew up with the initial niggles and teething problems , the safari may not be perfect , however she is almost there, with the advent of the new 2.2 DICOR at least, and it makes perfect sense to go for her now. I had kept her (DICOR 2.2) cruising at 100 in 5th gear for a considerable amount of time on my way to Kerala and the RPM was a lazy 2400 , and had absolutely no issues with the handling bit. Similarly crawled with a slow moving traffic all the way from Hosur road in Bangalore to New BEL road for 4 hours because of a traffic snarl and had no traces of any exhaustion either.
Thanks once again.
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:31   #57
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Safari is a great SUV to own in even in regular city traffic

Hi have owned and driven a Safari since 2001.
It has minor electrical reliability issues - especially after 3 years. It's much more reliable today than earlier.
Used to go around in a Cielo Automatic for 3 years prior procuring the safari and yet found even the earlier model of the safari to be much better bet in city traffic.
It does have a heavy clutch and it takes some effort to change gears. The stearing is as light or ligher than that of other vehicles.
If one is comparing the Safari with cars in terms of it being easy to drive in the city or not, it should be with similar size (leg room and seats) non SUV's - Eclass Merc, Superb etc....
The major advantages of the Safari in city traffic are:
1) Best visbility of the Road ahead, Gaps Ahead.
2) Vehicles tend to give way when one is overtaking, getting into a gap, changing lanes is much earlier than with other cars.
3) Bikers etc do not keep on hitting on the side view mirrors.
4) Best vehicle to use through flood waters like those seen regualarly in Bombay now-a-days. Have used driven through waters in excess of 2 feet on 2 desperate occations and got home safely only thanks to the vehicle being a safari and ofcourse blessings from higher up.
5) New 2.2Lts engine is makes the safari very responsive for a SUV of this size and wt.
6) Even without 4 wheel drive the Safari is the best bet on rough roads.

Only disadvantages are
1) Rear visibility - Though visbility is definately low, the reverse camera makes things easier. Parking sensors too can be added. (Have added these to mine.)
2) Turning radius - require a bit of a forward reverse ritual to make U turns.

Today I own a Skoda Laura besides the old Safari and even today on days when there is a political demonstration, heavy rains, rioting etc, ( a part of our life the Safari is the obvious choice.)

Turning into lanes as mentioned earlier is actually easier than with the Auto Laura as cars actually seem to be making way for the Beast.

The Grey side Cladding is the best bet for City dirving - (Small nudges are simply not noticed or felt.)

Plan to one day pick up the new 2.2 Lts engine version (possibly with the next shape change.)

Have besides the 2.2Ltrs, versions also driven the 3Ltr version, which I felt was not too refined even compared to the older 2 Ltr nor dicor engine. Also have driven the Scorpio and Inova, both are easier to manuveer in the city but the ride on the small express way bits in Mumbai suffers in these. Also the cars dont actually move out of the way for these vehicles, infact the inova is quite car like and like a Corolla on heels. It has great interiors but one quite feels like a driver after driving it a bit, does not help ones ego, but a good bet if one is being driven around. The scorpio is too small on the inside - especially the middle row considering the size allowance we give it. It a SUV is big on the outside it better be big on the inside as well.

So for Price of ownership defianately do go for the Safari. Hopefully they will get ABS and Airbags on base modes as well. But pls be aware of the possibility of addtional trips to the service station once a quarter in the first 2-3 years and then onwards twice a quarter.
Old 2nd December 2008, 17:56   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i find the scorpio, qualis and innova (its an MUV, i know!!!) better than the safari for city use. since the qualis is discontinued, so scorpio and innova are the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
If I am allowed to answer on Raj's behalf, I am sure its the Scorpio

Also a new mantra. The Scorpio, the Verna and the Magnum are in the same class of vehicles and these can be compared to one another and no one is to object.
please dont assume things mate! i have repeated in my post that they are not the same class vehicles but they can be considered as the thread starter is not adamant on an SUV.
so please interpret things in a mature manner.

Quote:
Elaborate why? the low end torque of both these vehicles is not so different to make a big difference. The safari has enough low end torque and i've never had a problem in the city. I used to feel very scared in my old honda city during peak hour, but in my safari, i ruled the road! Imagine seeing a beast in your rearview mirror especially at night with all lights on and the extra fogs also on... makes a scary sight and anyone would just give way...
TD both to feel the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
About the elaboration part. If I have answered correctly as per Raj, then only he can elaborate on it further. Raj bhaiya, please do the honours.
of course sumit beta! take the effort of driving some other vehicles in the city, that will solve your problem and confusion.
if the thread starter needed a highway car, i would have recommended him a safari or innova. but when he needs a city car, why should he go for a safari when there are better option available.
Old 2nd December 2008, 18:02   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Raj, you are once again generalizing without having adequate driving experience of the Safari in congested city conditions.

So why not recommend the ANHC A/T?

Come on Tejas......as Sumit has said, obviously the Scorpio
since how many years do you know me buddy? and what do you know about my driving experience with the safari?
i have been driving the TCIC safari since years (pic attached is of my 2.0 safari on way to karanataka from mumbai) and later the 2.2, so i do know about it.

i have not driven the ANHC A/T, so unlike some here, i do not post great opinions on the cars i have not driven or even sat!

scorpio is a better choice for him now, take that with a pinch of salt!
Attached Thumbnails
Safari performance in City Traffic-1.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2008, 21:30   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

TD both to feel the difference.
I did TD both before buying my safari 3.0. I guess it's finally down to personal preference.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks