Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 21:44   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I did TD both before buying my safari 3.0. I guess it's finally down to personal preference.
Its almost always down to personal preference unless you have a few individuals who are hell bent to force you to go with something else.
Old 2nd December 2008, 21:47   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Its almost always down to personal preference unless you have a few individuals who are hell bent to force you to go with something else.
You're right. One of these days i'm going to start a thread in shifting gears about people who unnecessarily argue and force themselves on this forum!

BTW, Breezydrive where are you? What's your take?
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:40   #63
Senior - BHPian

you are most welcome tejas. you can start a thread. but 1 question remains. when you suggested a safari to the thread starter , it was fine. there were no arguments at all!
but when i think that the safari is not good for city, thats my personal opinon. and i conveyed that to the breezydrive. i suggested him any car like the magnum or scorpio instead of safari. thats entirely my view. so why so much fuss over it?

so my dear friends sumit and tejas, if i am "hell bent to force you to go with something else", so are you all. because i am doing the same thing which you all were, voicing out my opinion. if it does not match with yours or it dint go down well with you or you simply cant take anything negative about your personal car no matter even if its true, it does not mean i am forcing someone.

i'll still stick to whatever i said. and i dint recommend a scorpio because i own one. i do like scorpios but i am not the sales representative of mahindra as some here are behaving like TATA representatives!

and tejas buddy, i thought you have the 2.2 safari in which the turbo lag is present. the 3.0 safari has good initial response (again not the best but better than the 2.2 safari) but a very short powerband. i dont think you will agree to this too. finally, i would recommend you to take things lightly when it comes to your safari. i have recommended the safari in many other threads to many who i feel needs a car like safari. but this is not the case.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd December 2008 at 22:50.
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

@ ravibhatt and rkbharath: stay away from this thread or you will be punished for being anti-safari! yes, they assume we are anti-safari if we dont agree that safari is the "PERFECT" SUV for city.

i would also request MODS to include this point in the announcements section:
* Any posts about the Tata Safari should be strictly in its favour. Any negatives regarding the vehicle will be taken as an offence and will not be tolerated.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd December 2008 at 22:55.
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

Things seem to be going out of hand and digressing from the issue. If we can keep up to the issue and leave the personalities aside, it would be great...
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:59   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ ravibhatt and rkbharath: stay away from this thread or you will be punished for being anti-safari! yes, they assume we are anti-safari if we dont agree that safari is the "PERFECT" SUV for city.
dear Raj, it does not matter what others assume, I have my opinion, and it remains the same. I know people love there cars and gets biased.

I changed my selection from Safari to SX4 with the same reason. It was one of the most difficult decision I have ever made. But I believe in practicality than just the emotions. I am following Safari from a long time and love this car a lot, and still follow it. But you can not just get the best of all from a car, not possible at all. Not even Merc.

I never said that Safari or Scorpio is bad. My opinion is very specific to the requirement raised in this thread.

Also I refrained from suggesting any alternative, as that will raise another war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Things seem to be going out of hand and digressing from the issue. If we can keep up to the issue and leave the personalities aside, it would be great...
I agree. Also I would like to listen from thread owner, to filter down our discussions. Till than, no point having any more debates.

Last edited by rkbharat : 2nd December 2008 at 23:07.
Old 2nd December 2008, 23:10   #67
BANNED

One more to add to the numerous Safari/ Scorpio or Innova or other car Fight thread.

Guys lets grow up.

I almost felt with the Safari and Scorpio threads doing great reviews for the SUV's, the Fight is almost over.

I feel the buyer must actually visit these threads and make a decision rather than posting a thread and inviting arguments and counter arguments.

Guys these threads are actually great and informative. lets go in there to know them better and directly from the owners mouth.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 2nd December 2008 at 23:11.
Old 3rd December 2008, 00:14   #68

Hey, Hey! I guess this thread is just moving in no constructive direction. Should we take some time and revisit what this thread was all about. Actually, we had one friend who wanted to gather certain information about his next possible buy and he specifically wanted to know if Safari would be a good buy for him considering his requirements. All he needed were some pros and cons to help him make up his mind. These can be best expressed by people who own these vehicles and drive them regularly.
He did not want comparisons or somebody's love for his Scorpio or any xyz vehicle.

Q1. Comfort, comfort, comfort?
Ans. You will love the comfort of a Safari and will always praise it for this quality. I have never driven a Lexus, but have a friend abroad who owns a Lexus SUV. He was here in India for a year and wanted an SUV. Test drove everything available and finally settled for a Safari. According to him, Safari was the cheapest Lexus comfort one can ever buy. Anyways, only someone with a real extreme dislike for TATA and Safari would not agree with the comfort quality it provides.

Q2.Niggles, niggles?
Ans: Yes, yes, yes, but nothing major. Nothing to do with the engine, the power or the chasis. Just a few minor adjustments with rattles which you might hear in the first 1200kms. All complaints normally vanish after the first service. Infact, Safari is one vehicle I have seen improving with every extra kilometer you travel. I have done 15000Kms in less than 6 months and its been flawless. These are a few things which might bother you initially:
1. Rattle from the boot door (will go after service).
2. The safari suspension is not a hard one, and can conquer the most horrible terrains without a bump felt inside. But, if you over do the bad terrain part like I do everyday when I leave for work (there is almost no road left for 500mtrs after the sewer department dug it up a year back) and also if half of your drives are through forest roads and over river beds, you will need to get some under parts tightened. I think its fair if you put your vehicle through all that and still there is no need to replace parts.

Q3.City traffic?
Ans: Enough has been said about it on this thread. If you ask me "is it a problem?", I would say NO. Rest assured, the vehicle will not be affected. On the contrary, the traffic will be. Big turning radius and everyone knows about it on the road, so nothing to worry, they will make way for you. Its like sitting on an elephant with a majestic view of all the sedans barely reaching the hight of your steering and all other SUVs' drivers looking like they had just lost a few inches from under their seats. I am not exaggerating, absolutely no problems with traffic. Awesome low torque lets your vehicle sail without an effort.

Q4: ABS, 4x4, Side Cladding?
Ans: ABS is always "Preferred" but not a necessity, and it holds as true for a Safari as would for any other vehicle. 4X4 is only required if you are planning some serious off roading. Normally the 140ps power is more than enough to carry you over and through most of the challenges. Side cladding is a protection from city bumper to bumber and squeezing side traffic scratches. It will keep your sides clean.
No idea about the GX launch, so will keep quiet on that.

Buddy, take a ride, and a long one. No matter what anyone says (including me), listen to your heart and you shall have your answer.
Old 3rd December 2008, 08:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Amit_D, telling your opinion again and again does mean more obsessions and less facts.

We have already listened from you. now its important to listen from the requester.

Dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_D View Post
Hey, Hey! I guess this thread is just moving in no constructive direction. Should we take some time and revisit what this thread was all about. Actually, we had one friend who wanted to gather certain information about his next possible buy and he specifically wanted to know if Safari would be a good buy for him considering his requirements. All he needed were some pros and cons to help him make up his mind. These can be best expressed by people who own these vehicles and drive them regularly.
He did not want comparisons or somebody's love for his Scorpio or any xyz vehicle.

Buddy, take a ride, and a long one. No matter what anyone says (including me), listen to your heart and you shall have your answer.
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:59   #70
Senior - BHPian

@ rkbharath: you are absolutely right buddy. evenrybody has their own opinions, including me. those who dont agree with me are free to contradict and ask me the reasons, but the post made by sumit and tejas in this page is what infuriated me.
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:43   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@ rkbharath: you are absolutely right buddy. evenrybody has their own opinions, including me. those who dont agree with me are free to contradict and ask me the reasons, but the post made by sumit and tejas in this page is what infuriated me.
What infuriated you? The fact that i asked about which SUV you would suggest and elaborate why?! Don't have such a short fuse dude! If you are entitled to your opinion, so is everybody else. And the post of people wasn't directed at you, it was a general one cause as you may be aware, it does happen! So plz don't get a guilty conscience. Peace out.
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:56   #72
BHPian

Quote:
My friend, my post which you claim infuriated you was a general comment but if you feel offended by it, it shows that you have a feeling of self guilt. Maybe you realise that you have been trying to force your opinion on others and thus the feeling of guilt?

As far as your personal opinion is concerned, its most welcome and everyone appreciates it, but if you are only willing to say Scorpio is good and Safari is bad and at the same time, you try to compare the Scorpio to a Verna and Magnum, then just like you have an opinion, others (including me) have it too. You need to reflect back and see what you have been upto before accusing others of wrong doing.
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

Things seem to be cooling off and all for the better. One thing that has emerged out of all that arguments, opinions etc., is that there is a very very strong 'I love Safari and it is the best' and 'I love Scorpio and it is the best' camps. And no one is ready to give an inch to other.. Good to know users are so passionate & loyal about their rides.

Now, having said that and been there also as the owner/user of both the brands, can we get back to the real issue?
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:57   #74
Senior - BHPian

PPl,

I was reading thro the complete thread before jumping into the war-zone.

I think the Safari is not the ideal vehicle in city traffic compared to the Scorpio, many reasons are already listed, stating it again will be an overkill.

I have driven both, in the city and on the highways and have followed the developments and improvements in the beasts for the past 3 years closely. I have also driven the latest offerings of both the brands; off the block, the scorpio is better. This again is my experience, if there's an experience contraty to mine, I respect it, its a free county, still.

On the highway, my take is, the Safari is a better cruiser, lots more space and more stable. One need to be more alert on the Scorp when you you cross 90.

This is my considered opinion and I am entitled to it, just like others are. Both cars have their utility from the point of view of the user.

--Ramky
=====
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

Safari and Scorpio apart. I am seeing a couple of Sumo Grandes. They look better in flesh than they do in the brochures or press photos. Has the same 2.2 VTT engine at a lower price. It does not come with a 4x4 which does not seem to be your requirement. Having leaf springs (Parabolic) at the rear, may sound/read like a setback, but it isn't as long as the suspension engineers got their maths right. On the contrary it has a better integration of the roof mounted AC. Give it a Dekko.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks