Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2009, 00:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

vitara seems sensible. heart says safari.
buy a car in which you feel proud by sitting and you dont miss it when others drive it as you have it too.
Old 25th October 2009, 06:38   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

This is going OT here but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneet View Post
Considering your requirements and budget, I strongly suggest you to wait for a couple of months for the upcoming SKODA YETI.....
IMHO uneet recommending Skoda is last thing I'd do any member here considering their attitude on after sales. The way I see it we can enjoy Skoda's if we already have one but vote them out with our purses till they do extraordinarily simple thing as apologise to their customers. You may like my attitude or not but to me right now I would not recommend a Skoda to even my enemy.

Back to what OP wants....
So what is your choice? When are you posting TD results?
Old 25th October 2009, 08:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
B
Sell the estillo. Give the Honda to wife and buy a Safari for self.
Now the Tata guys certainly know how to run an ad campaign.
"Make your own road"
"Reclaim your life"
"What would you remember when you look back in life"
They just pull the right cords in your heart.

Every time i see a Safari my heart just pops in my mouth. Its a beautiful beast.
Go for the Safari. There are minor issues, but then for about 8-9L, it is a very good bet.
I'm getting myself one today.
I would not recommend a Skoda, because of the sad stories heard about poor after sales service. Also since parts are expensive, it will drill a hole in your pocket, sooner or later.
Old 25th October 2009, 10:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

I see at least 3-4 potential Safari owners around. Have you guys read the full 'LongTermOwnershioReports'? I have not. I'm going to seek some more information before I take decission.
I have read that Safari just starts showing the age at around 60K KMs and may fall around before 1L KMs.
I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep it but what if it looses its reliability after 60K, thats definitely not something that I'm looking for!!

Can someone quick comment (I'll go LTOR for more information though) on this and confirm!!
I guess Dicor 3.0L guys can do that more.. However, I would like to hear this from the 2.2L folks as well.
If I really dont see a value, I may go Gurkha route. Although I dont do hardcore offroading, I know for sure that this vehicle is going to last 3L reliably. I'll certainly miss those worldly features in the vehicle and those horses under 2.2L.
Old 25th October 2009, 11:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I see at least 3-4 potential Safari owners around. Have you guys read the full 'LongTermOwnershioReports'? I have not. I'm going to seek some more information before I take decission.
I have read that Safari just starts showing the age at around 60K KMs and may fall around before 1L KMs.
I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep it but what if it looses its reliability after 60K, thats definitely not something that I'm looking for!!

Can someone quick comment (I'll go LTOR for more information though) on this and confirm!!
I guess Dicor 3.0L guys can do that more.. However, I would like to hear this from the 2.2L folks as well.
If I really dont see a value, I may go Gurkha route. Although I dont do hardcore offroading, I know for sure that this vehicle is going to last 3L reliably. I'll certainly miss those worldly features in the vehicle and those horses under 2.2L.
Fall apart? Check out Suman's DICOR or Steeroid's among many others !

And now dont tell me you dont expect small stuff to fall off when you off road badly. I have done close to 50k and nothing have fallen off till now.

If its Tata, things fall off, if its Hyundai engine issues, man, rumours ! ( but if its Skoda be careful )
Old 25th October 2009, 13:04   #21
BHPian

Wow! I see an exact replica of my thoughts in your head! Just that i havent put a date to when i want to jump to get the SUV.

To add my 2 cents Coumbus - I was also thinking abt a used Endeavour, looks the part, plays the part too - just the maintenance costs - service and parts is a question mark. Used models with decent mileage are plenty in the used market for reasonable rates.

The Fortuner ofcourse is an awesome vehicle but way too expensive as a 3rd car for me!

Safari is a strict NO-NO personally (no offense to anyone) - but i dont think the TATA A** and reliability is something i could adjust to after living with the Honda.

GV obviously looks like the fav choice considering it is definitely more reliable than the other options and the A** is perceived to be better as well.

But i would not rule out the Pajero as well. See if you can find a used, well maintained car and at what price? There is no doubt in my mind abt the vehicles capabilities, and having lived with a Lancer in the past - the service though no Maruti is definitely better than the TATA.

Happy Hunting! :-)
Old 25th October 2009, 13:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
... I have read that Safari just starts showing the age at around 60K KMs and may fall around before 1L KMs.
I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep it but what if it looses its reliability after 60K, thats definitely not something that I'm looking for!!...
Seems like you read this from a reliable source of yours. Where did you read this? At T-BHP or elsewhere. Would be great if you can share the source.
Old 25th October 2009, 17:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

I use my Safari on and off the road quite a bit. I also offroad with it ''ón the road''..!!
Ive covered approx 36k kms in such a fashion in 18 months of ownership out of which it was parked in the garage for full 9 months. No pampering of special treatment either other than routine service. Ive had service light issues which were sorted by the TASS. Check my LTOR. But certainly nothing has fallen off.

As far as showing of age is concerned, I feel the Safari design is ageless. I loved it 10 years ago and like how it looks even now. If looks matter to you, well the Gurkha too is ageless, but now the've begun spoiling the original beauty.
Functionally, if your onroad use exceeds offroad use, settle for the Safari/ Scorpio. Now they even have Scorpio mhawk 4x4. Go and check it out too. I think SS traveler just got one, ask him!
A used GV is a very good proposition. regarding the need for 4x4. I feel that any suv purchase should be 4x4, simply because an suv tempts you to go places you wont go to in a normal car. And this temptation risks getting stuck, and 4x4 is the only solution to overcome the risks of such temptation.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 25th October 2009 at 17:13.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

As said by many,Safari/Scorpio is the best buy.
GV can also be considered as the usage is very less.

How abt Innova,Imagine you've taken city to Leh,can't Innova do it.Should be more reliable if Safari/Scorpio scares you from build & A.S.S. Though not to consider from 4*4 perspective, they both Safari/Scorpio does their job in their own way.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 26th October 2009 at 12:47.
Old 26th October 2009, 14:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
How abt Innova,Imagine you've taken city to Leh,can't Innova do it.Should be more reliable if Safari/Scorpio scares you from build & A.S.S. Though not to consider from 4*4 perspective, they both Safari/Scorpio does their job in their own way.
I have driven an Innova and liked the ride very much. However what the
Innova can do, the City can also do the same job. 10-11 hrs of continuous driving is not an issue in a City. Infact i once drove the city straight from Haldwani to Bhopal in 20 hrs. And i have just chalked out a plan for spending the New Year in Binsar Uttarakhand. If no 4x4 till then i am taking the City..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Functionally, if your onroad use exceeds offroad use, settle for the Safari/ Scorpio. Now they even have Scorpio mhawk 4x4. Go and check it out too. I think SS traveler just got one, ask him!
A used GV is a very good proposition. regarding the need for 4x4. I feel that any suv purchase should be 4x4, simply because an suv tempts you to go places you wont go to in a normal car. And this temptation risks getting stuck, and 4x4 is the only solution to overcome the risks of such temptation.
Very well put sir. will TD the scorp also..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensi View Post
Wow! I see an exact replica of my thoughts in your head! Just that i havent put a date to when i want to jump to get the SUV.

To add my 2 cents Coumbus - I was also thinking abt a used Endeavour, looks the part, plays the part too - just the maintenance costs - service and parts is a question mark. Used models with decent mileage are plenty in the used market for reasonable rates.

But i would not rule out the Pajero as well. See if you can find a used, well maintained car and at what price? There is no doubt in my mind abt the vehicles capabilities, and having lived with a Lancer in the past - the service though no Maruti is definitely better than the TATA.

Happy Hunting! :-)
Its difficult to find second hand Endy or Pajs here in Bhopal. And Endy is huge and will be expensive to maintain. I like the Paj but difficult to find in Bhopal and also i feel Mitsubishi is not serious about India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

Back to what OP wants....
So what is your choice? When are you posting TD results?
No skoda for me sir. Will TD the vehicles this week and post. But i know what i'm going to like

tanvaramit, mclaren rulz, itmylife

Will TD all the three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
1) New Safari
2) Indicruz
3) PAL's compact SUV
some questions here..

Are they bringing a new safari..?? If yes then with a different engine or a completely different platform. Will TATA take the MUV route...??

What type of vehicle is Indicruz. Is it the new safari or a completely different vehicle.

PAL's compact SUV ?? Is it premier automoblie ltd.. 65 BHP peugot engine..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
but since its the safari which has struck the chord with you, i think you should go for it leaving all pretensions behind. i agree that "its the soul which plays a major role in buying a car"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
But even if the computerised heads go bonkers, you can go on a limp mode to the nearest available workshop.

I suggest you TD both the Safari and Scorpio 4x4
Will TD both the vehicles..
Old 26th October 2009, 15:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Buddy if you wait for the new Safari you will be waiting for a long time and in addition end up as the test bunny for TML. So its best you go for the current Safari. The rumour about the new Safari is 40 pages long and even if they launch it tomorrow, if I was out to buy an suv, I certainly wouldnt want to be a test bunny. Do you?
Any hey.. dont even allow the thought of a PAL suv in your head.
Old 26th October 2009, 15:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

LOL Jay!

You certainly did make the point! I hope people read this couple of times before recommending the "new" Safari!
Old 26th October 2009, 16:13   #28
Team-BHP Support

Throw in a totally different route.
When is the Yeti being launched?
I know its a Skoda, but still may be its worth a wait and pricing may be good?

PS: Hoping for too much?

Last edited by ampere : 26th October 2009 at 16:15.
Old 26th October 2009, 18:54   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneet View Post
Considering your requirements and budget, I strongly suggest you to wait for a couple of months for the upcoming SKODA YETI. It should be in showrooms by JAN'10.
It's likely to come in 1.2TSI Petrol and 1.4 Diesel with very strong 4x4 capabilities. The TD by Autoshow did surprise many and if priced correctly, this car is capable to taking Skoda sales to a new high.
It's having just the right size, right height and one of the best petrol engines to be coming to India. Should be priced in the range of 10-11L. The comfort, luxury and features are going to be way ahead of any other cars you are considering.
Uneet , not the right forum to propose SKODA.
Lot of ANti SKoda fans here, with due respect to each one!
Old 26th October 2009, 21:14   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
Uneet , not the right forum to propose SKODA.
Lot of ANti SKoda fans here, with due respect to each one!
Also Jan'10 is not the time, when they are releasing it. That is when they are showing it off in India in the Delhi Motor show.

Every time I look at the Yeti, I feel like getting it. But Skoda thy name is aversion! Not sure how its fate will be. A good vehicle pitted against the might of a horrible service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks