Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 22:41   #1
BHPian

Xylo e8 vs Scorpio mhawk

Can someone please state the major differences between both? To the best of my knowledge Xylo still lacks 4wd & ABS has only recently been introduced.

I like Scorpio's looks better. I am a very fast driver who likes to zip in & out of traffic so better manoeuvrability is a must (I had a sierra until recently which was like an elephant compared to newer engines, combined with it's bulk).

I like Xylo's fully reclining seats as I intend to do a lot of highway driving, and also for their utility in "spontaneous recreation" in the car.

Comfort-wise Xylo seems to beat the Scorpio, however I would like to know of more notable differences before making my decision; especially details like parts used (timing belt or chain? etc). When it comes to a tradeoff I will definitely choose performance over comfort.

I don't really **require** 4wd, but wouldn't mind as I intend to do Leh/Ladakh trips. I need the car to be able to withstand constant rash high speed driving.

I'm also open to other suggestions (except the Safari or Innova) but my budget is tops 12L and I am only interested in purchasing new.

Thanks in advance
Old 5th November 2009, 09:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio is what you should be buying. Not sure how much 4x4 cost but 2.2mHawk 4x4 is what IMHO you should be next buy.
Old 5th November 2009, 09:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

First and foremost why are we comparing the Xylo with the Scorp' , MUV with an SUV ? If I were to make a comparison it would be on the lines of a Xylo-Innova-Tavera.
With 12 lacs at your disposal, look at the 4x4 M-Hawk scorp which is available. Once again if you don't want a 4x4 why not take a look at the M-hawk VLX ?

Xylo

Displacement : 2498cc, CRDe, M-Eagle
Maximum Power : 112 Bhp @ 3800 rpm
Maximum Torque : 240 Nm @ 1800 rpm

Mhawk

Engine displacement :: 2179cc
Max. Gross Power - 120 bhp (86.7Kw) @4000 rpm
Max. Gross Torque - 290 Nm @ 1800-2800 rp
Old 5th November 2009, 09:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
I like Scorpio's looks better. I am a very fast driver who likes to zip in & out of traffic so better manoeuvrability is a must (I had a sierra until recently which was like an elephant compared to newer engines, combined with it's bulk).
I do not think either Scorpio or Xylo is capable of this. These vehicles are not built for zig zag driving at all.

Otherwise Scorpio is any day much better than Xylo. Better looking, more zip, a proven thing.
Old 5th November 2009, 10:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
First and foremost why are we comparing the Xylo with the Scorp' , MUV with an SUV ? If I were to make a comparison it would be on the lines of a Xylo-Innova-Tavera.
Well said. Both are totally different vehicles that cater to totally different needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
I do not think either Scorpio or Xylo is capable of this. These vehicles are not built for zig zag driving at all.

Otherwise Scorpio is any day much better than Xylo. Better looking, more zip, a proven thing.
How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Last edited by beejay : 5th November 2009 at 10:14.
Old 5th November 2009, 11:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
To me, both have high CG and good amount of Body roll. I would not recomend them for a fast driver who loves to zig-zag his way through the traffic.

takecare and drive safely
Old 5th November 2009, 12:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Being RWD Scorpio and Xylo are RWD both got considerable amount of body roll.
This affects the performance in cornering and swerving.

RWD cars are more prone to oversteer, in particular when applying power in a tight corner. This occurs because the rear tires must handle both the lateral cornering force and engine torque.
Old 5th November 2009, 12:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

RWD cars are more prone to oversteer, in particular when applying power in a tight corner. This occurs because the rear tires must handle both the lateral cornering force and engine torque.
Santro/WagonR too have body roll
Old 5th November 2009, 12:33   #9
BHPian

There are a few good features in Xylo (E8) which are better than that in the Scorpio as of now e.g. driver seat height adjustment, lumbar support, electrically folding ORVMs, flight trays , MID etc. apart from the cost advantage. I too was angry at M&M for omission of these things in Scorpio ( pre-refreshed model as well as refreshed model). Most annoying thing in scorpio was its handle when compared with Xylo and absence of driver seat height adjustment & electrically adjustable ORVMs , airbag, RFID based security system, some of which to some extent has been adressed in refreshed model.
However, what Xylo misses is the Mhawk superfine engine which for itself tilts the balance in favour of Scorpio Mhawk anyday over Xylo any spec. Availability of 4X4 and AT options have added weight in favour of Scorpio and please, hold on for few weeks- you may have more goodies - (safety and convenience)added to Scorpio to convince you that Scorpio is better option.

As far as body roll is concerned, its a matter of adapting ones driving style to get the best out of what any vehicle offers. I never had any issues because of the body roll at speeds around 120-130 and tried / executed normal turns even at speeds upto 80/90 confidentally- of course, it wont inspire much confidence nor adviseable to try a turn at high speeds in twisties, yet its not that bad. Rolling and pitching are part of life and sometimes it adds some character to a particular vehicle. Since, ( vehicles mentioned here ) I have owned/ driven Wagon R, Santro, Scorpio & Safari- may be I am kinda used to it . Suggest you try these vehicles for few days each if your friends have one or through dealer and choose which one you like better.

Last edited by shatrughna : 5th November 2009 at 12:34.
Old 5th November 2009, 12:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
electrically folding ORVMs,
Are you sure about this one? Adjustable - Yes. Retractable - ?
Old 5th November 2009, 13:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest Scorpio. If you are looking for long drives & comfort, then Innova pitches in.

I'm completely against xylo for the appearance.
No offense meant.
Old 5th November 2009, 13:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What has body roll got to do with RWD? it is a factor of high CoG and not RWD

in fact, the best handlers in the world are RWD cars since the front wheels are only steering and do not have to cope with putting down the power as well.
Old 5th November 2009, 13:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
As far as body roll is concerned, its a matter of adapting ones driving style to get the best out of what any vehicle offers. I never had any issues because of the body roll at speeds around 120-130 and tried / executed normal turns even at speeds upto 80/90 confidentally- of course, it wont inspire much confidence nor adviseable to try a turn at high speeds in twisties, yet its not that bad.
I used to own a Wagon R and now the Xylo and drive 80% of these vehicles in the hills. Cornering was never a concern for me on either vehicles.

Maybe as you have said, I might have got used to it. Being driving here from school. I drive flat out on most corners at reasonably good speeds, sometimes crazy and never loose the line for the entire turn.

The mirrors are electric for adjustment only.
Old 5th November 2009, 14:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
What has body roll got to do with RWD? it is a factor of high CoG and not RWD
I agree to you that body roll is not associated with RWD only.

What I know is: The CoG height, relative to the track, determines load transfer, from side to side and causes body lean/body roll. Centrifugal force acts at the center of gravity to lean the car toward the outside of the curve, increasing downward force on the outside tires.
When a car is braking, the downward load on the front tires increases and that on the rear decreases, with corresponding change in their ability to take sideways load, causing oversteer.
As the 2 cars in question are RWD so replying in context to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Santro/WagonR too have body roll
Sorry if it looks that I am saying that only these 2 cars have body roll.

I think maximum all the cars have some amount of body roll not only Santro and WagonR. But here w.r.t. these 2 cars and where the OP was mentioning about high speed and zig zag driving so I was referring to oversteering part of it.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th November 2009 at 15:22. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts. Use the edit option if posting within 20 min. Thanks.
Old 5th November 2009, 14:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The scorp and xylo are totally different vehicles. Designed, built and priced to suit their respective categories.

There are some areas where the Xylo wins hands down over the Scorp and vice versa.

Last edited by beejay : 5th November 2009 at 14:47. Reason: The scorp...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks