Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2010, 22:58   #1
BANNED

Buying new Gypsy, what discounts can I expect?

Hello

Just made it and joined !! <Pant!><Pant!> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...ml#post2081451

I have decided (YES I have absolutely decided) that the Gypsy King mpfi BSIV will be my first car (and last?) I have been through many a post about why Gyspy and why NOT to buy it, but in the end, I have posponed buying a car by more than 5 years because I simply could never visualize myself owning a regular car. I mean there was a black-hole and a great sense of disconnect instead of a daydream every single time I tried to think about it. And I was avoiding fantasizing about the Gypsy because I thought she had too expensive tastes for a poor chap like me (at 8 to 9kmpl in city). Turns out I was well wrong and browsing this forum has helped me firm up my decision for good.

Why my psyche goes with it? Because I am frugal by nature and can hardships in my stride. To give an example, the last time I was in Simla for a solo backpacking trip, I did not even enquire at a single hotel where to spend the night @600 to 1000/-. I simply took permission form GRPF and slept on the railway platform. so i am not worried about comfort or lack of it.

Ok now to the point - what discounts can I expect from a dealer for a Gypsy? I know other cars enjoy discounts but not one which has a waiting period - Like my beloved-to-be Vagabond wild Gyspy. This page lists a few areas for negotiation New Car Discount Negotiation Guide | Articles - CarWale

1. Dealer/OEM discount
2. Coporate discount
3. Discount on finance? (I'm paying by cheque - no loans) Do I qualify better for a discount?
4. Discount on Insurance premium
5. Discount on other charges - Registration charges, handling charges, service charges etc.
6. Accessories like Mudflaps, Rubber mats, (Disco lights anyone? ) Fake Leather steering cover (is there a stock OEM one?) .. anything I missed?

What is a good quantum for discount? 20K? Or 5k?

Since I have an off tomorrow (missed my train today ) I may check out a dealer late morning. If there is anything that needs calling attention to please let me know.

Thanks
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2010, 15:16   #2
BHPian

Gypsy?

First of all, why Gypsy? It does not have AC, has poor seats, interiors, no AC, and has rubbery gear box. If you can wait for 5 years then it would be better to wait 2-3 months max (reliable info) for mini-Xylo. It will be much cheaper to own and run with better interiors and comfort.
Old 24th September 2010, 18:03   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
First of all, why Gypsy? It does not have AC, has poor seats, interiors, no AC, and has rubbery gear box. If you can wait for 5 years then it would be better to wait 2-3 months max (reliable info) for mini-Xylo. It will be much cheaper to own and run with better interiors and comfort.
The decision is made with the heart. I dont care what it does not have. I am looking for a reliable partner in my personal adventures. How I feel about my car is very important to me, like the clothes we wear. I am willing to accept this "bride" with squint eyes and long feet and all ...

I don't care about the mini-xylo when ever it comes. Although I have not researched cars like others may have, to me it has no past and lineage and pedigree of a warrior to be proud of, no reputation no nothing. Although I am just shooting off my mouth when I say this, dont flame me for it - I mean to say, I just dont care...

The decision is firmly made.

Cheers
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2010, 18:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ragul,
I wouldn't say a good choice, but in the end it is your choice.
I own a 11 month old Gypsy and to each his own. I am absolutely in love with it and i've absolutely no complaints with it.
But, BUT, it cannot be your primary car if you have a family (parents/spouse/kids).
And discounts, forget it. You should be more than happy if you manage a dealer agree to get you one. I mean it. Atleast, that was the scene in Bangalore last year.
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: Inspite of having a hard-top, i have to manage with a wet floor carpet even after a small drizzle. Just a hint on what you might have to deal with
Old 24th September 2010, 18:17   #5
BANNED

And Oh I forgot to mention, I intend to travel to Himachal, Sikkim, Assam and Arunachal in this car ... A city+family type MUV does not give me any confidence.

Hope this makes my quest and reasoning more clear.

Thanks
Old 24th September 2010, 18:23   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hi Ragul,
I wouldn't say a good choice, but in the end it is your choice.
I own a 11 month old Gypsy and to each his own. I am absolutely in love with it and i've absolutely no complaints with it.
But, BUT, it cannot be your primary car if you have a family (parents/spouse/kids).
And discounts, forget it. You should be more than happy if you manage a dealer agree to get you one. I mean it. Atleast, that was the scene in Bangalore last year.
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: Inspite of having a hard-top, i have to manage with a wet floor carpet even after a small drizzle. Just a hint on what you might have to deal with
Hey Starter

Oops! Now don't dampen my enthusiasm!! I will keep a raincoat in my car always ... I read a thread here about an old couple that use the Gypsy and their logic. Same here. I will worry about family when I have one... No point worrying about a non-existent family and imagine nit-picking from a wifey when there is none... C'mon, let me enjoy the attitude with whatever I don't have ...

Are you saying you did not even get accessories like mats and mudflaps for free?

I am just back from the dealer and I will post my experience at interaction with them shortly.

Thanks
Old 24th September 2010, 18:27   #7
BHPian

When i booked i was told no discounts. When i paid up the money, they gave me a 16k discount plus floor mats and stuff like that.
Old 24th September 2010, 19:08   #8
BANNED

Dealer experience

I first went to Mandovi around Banaswadi or whereabouts just below the bridge. The experience was very disappointing. They had an old print out in cheap faded Xerox with only BSIII listed, and the prices were expensive by 10K to 20K on ex-showroom or so I thought!! The minimum price I saw for any variant of Gypsy was I think 5.58lacs going by memory. The Road Tax was inflated at +15% and when I asked her to compute the %age applied, she went blank. Like "How sir ...?There is only fixed amount". Then I explained to her that Road Tax was calculated on ex-showroom price and asked her to fetch a calculator. She brought a large calculator and sat staring at it not knowing what to do next. I asked her if she was a graduate and she knew how to compute percentages. "Yes sir!! what do you expect!!" she promptly replied and again sat staring at the calculator. I took the calculator from under her nose and did some quick key punching and figured it was 15.5% on the already inflated showroom price. Then she said she would call her senior and brought along an equally impoverished looking fellow. I asked him about BSIV rates and he said "No sir!! Maruti is not making BSIV .. only BSIII. But I will check!!" He went away and came back in less than a minute to tell me "BSIV Not available saar!" . Both of them I am sorry to say this could not rise above their personal backgrounds to meet the professional demands of their job. I thought they were more like barely passed 10th std with low grades types. Sorry if I sound harsh, but this will tell readers what to anticipate.

Then I went to Bimal on old Aiport road. The place was a refreshing change. There was brisk activity all around, and the employees at least looked like they were striving for post-graduate degrees, and their attitudes were what you you would see in people with an ambition to succeed in life. mind you I have little respect for Indian education system but still the difference is visible and telling). The Road Tax was appeared to be inflated so did the insurance but atleast the ex-showroom price was a healthy 5.46 lacs. I chanced upon a thread about insurance savings on new cars earlier and so i quickly checked if I could do the registration and insurance on my own (after getting a good bargain). The sales person replied positively.

Now I am waiting for his proforma invoice and booking amount expected and anticipated delivery schedule for each of the 4 colors. The other part is to search for all the insurance agencies and find the best deal. The salesperson told me that their tie-up was with Sundaram Finance for Insurance.

How easy is it to do registration of new vehicle on my own? I live very close to RTO Indiranagar like 15 mins ride and can make multiple visits easily over many days.

@Cougar what was your booking price and delivery period?

Thanks
Old 24th September 2010, 19:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Do we get Gypsies? For a last over few years, I haven't seen a single Gypsy on any of Maruti's showroom. I have seen even a Vitara on display, but Gypsy - big No. BTW, what colors is it available? Only white is it?

@Rahul - I'm sure you went through the announcement section, but here're 2 things I noticed on this thread...
1. Smileys are restricted to 2 per post compared to 3 on your first one
2. Avoid posting back to back, or wait for 20 minutes & then make another post, I mean your 3rd & 4th one.
Old 24th September 2010, 20:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think Gypsy is available but it is made according to the bookings only. So, there wont be any display car in the showroom.
@Ragul: Did you enquire about the waiting period for Gypsy and in which all colours is it available?
Old 24th September 2010, 20:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Are you saying you did not even get accessories like mats and mudflaps for free?
Nope, i din't get mudflaps. It comes with factory fit mudflaps at the rear. No front mudflaps. Mats, got swift ones only for the front. They wouldn't have any mats for the rear seats since Gypsy is always a 8 seater now.
You could find my initial ownership report here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-5000-kms.html
@aargee: You still get BSIV Gypsies and they are available in atleast 5 colours. White is the only one which is quickly available. Red and Green have atleast 2+ months waiting time. There is a ice blue (Cougar's ride) and silver too available, with much longer wait times.
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 24th September 2010 at 20:14.
Old 24th September 2010, 21:12   #12
BHPian

I heard you can get Gypsies via order.

I owned a Gypsy for few months. It is utterly reliable vehicle, no frills. It is utterly bland. No comfort. If you don't mind not having a power steering, and not having better suspension, you won't repent Gypsy. You can always add AC to it.

The reason I sold my Gypsy despite it being very good was my family (wife, mom all complained about the bumpy ride).

If you seek adventure, the gypsy is for you.
Old 24th September 2010, 22:45   #13
BHPian

My suggestion would be to first buy a second hand gypsy to get the hang of it. Once you have driven it for a year or so, you would be in a better position to assess the need of buying a new one. I am seriously thinking on these lines now, though a few days back had almost booked a brand new gypsy.
Old 24th September 2010, 23:20   #14
BHPian

Ragul hats off to you for taking this decision. From my past experience in life i have come to realise that no matter what u decide to do in life you will have some degree of regrets later on. But on decisions & purchases made from the heart like yours you tend to be bothered less with such regrets.

I just have one request, please do not go to buy a gypsy thinking that you will get higher mileage from the engine and that the ownership experience will be a rosy and happy one. The gypsy is a rough and crude vehicle and you will need to take certain steps to counter the water leakages and all. So go into the gypsy owning experience with an open mind. And at the end of the day you will not be disappointed and will love the vehicle.

One of the first things you will have to do is to use silicone gel to seal the hard top properly so as to avoid water leaks. Please check the rubber seal of the back door (boot) as i have seen water coming through that now and then in some gypsys.

Second thing i have read in this forum is to seal the mini grill that u have right under the windscreen. That prevents water from getting in and also prevents leaves and dirt entering your vehicle and clogging+rotting inside.

I admire your courage for following your heart and hope to one day follow in your footsteps.

If u make it to my part of the country i.e (darjeeling & sikkim) then dont hesitate to ask for any assistance you may require while u are here.

Happy motoring
Old 25th September 2010, 01:32   #15
BHPian

Ragul,
If you can afford to buy a new Gypsy go ahead and buy.
My gypsy (hard top) is two years old and I have covered 24000km.I have even been in Ledakh, so far I havent faced a single problem.
Only thing I wish to have in a gypsy is A/C, which you feel to have while travelling north India.
This issue of water leakage is simple problem to solve.
Hard top Gypsy is better for your purpose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks