Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 22:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Meet Sir Uday Bhan Singh - Kolkata Meet

As part of the Team-bhp kolkata gang, we are previleged to have amongst us the much known Jeep guru Uday Bhan Singh.

The topic of meeting the man himself alongwith his fabulous machines had come up more than once since our last meet as well as some offline discussions.

With the kind permission of Sir U.B Singh, I would like to start this thread to find a convenient time for all of us for the meeting.

I have come to know that, he will be away from 9th Nov till 15th. With that information, let us put our thoughts together.

i think couple of BHPians of the kolkata gang will be interested to meet the Guru in Person.

@ Members from other cities - if you guys are interested - please let us know whether you will be able to come for the meet.

Mr. Singh stays at Liluah, Howrah (WB) FYI. the venue can be decided as per suggestions.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 3rd November 2008 at 22:46.
Old 4th November 2008, 06:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thats a great idea. I have met Uday Sir and he is a walking encyclopedia on Jeeps.
Old 4th November 2008, 18:47   #3
BHPian

hmm... looong back I too had chance to communicate with him for infos of Willys and Ford jeeps! He was very courteous and explained everything about those machines! Has a big fleet of vintage jeeps and vans.... has his own garage and men to restore jeeps! I remember a lot of stuffs bout him!
Is running a school along with his wife eh?! A great man who loves those tough machines!
Really wanted to come for this meet.. but work and family matters keeps my schedules tight these days!

Cheers Sir cheers!

Last edited by nikkibike : 4th November 2008 at 18:49.
Old 4th November 2008, 18:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think we should seek a date from him rather than us deciding on a date and thrusting it on him. Ideally it should be on a Sunday during the day time. I am game on any Sunday with a shortish notice.
Incidentally I spoke to him last night for close to an hour. He is fairly impressed with the team-bhp Calcutta activities.
Old 4th November 2008, 19:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I think we should seek a date from him rather than us deciding on a date and thrusting it on him. Ideally it should be on a Sunday during the day time. I am game on any Sunday with a shortish notice.
Incidentally I spoke to him last night for close to an hour. He is fairly impressed with the team-bhp Calcutta activities.
This seems reasonable. I would like to suggest that those of us who finally make the trip read his excellent post on Jeep thrills about the various types of Jeep, their relative roles in off-roading, and their estimated cost-category. This will cut out a lot of 'noise'.

Secondly, it seems very likely that this initiative will take us in a clear-cut direction, and we need to think about it: not in a negative manner, but clearly understanding that it is a kind of new direction, which may or may not sit with existing directions and trajectories (in any reference to off-roading, that takes on ominous nuances ).

It seems to me that sooner or later, off-roading will come into the picture; a concentration on off-roading vehicles will come in; a reduction of energy and enthusiasm from 'rally' meets will come in. I have no problems with any of these trends; on the contrary. It's just that these need to be recognised.

There might be a completely different set of people happy to meet occasionally in Calcutta or its outskirts; another willing to push the envelope a bit more and meet such that the entire exercise, complete with food and drink and some sitting around and yakking, is over within a day (more or less, with some evening travel); a third set willing to do overnighters, say, to Massanjore and Maithon, even to Hazaribag; and a distinct set happy to go mud-larking (or the equivalent on sand; I don't know of any place to do rocks within driving distance, short of Purulia).

Just pointing out the obvious. Within the limitations of a slightly difficult personal situation at present, which admittedly is showing signs of easing off, I am game for any or all of these. Soon, I hope to have wheels of my own, and may not have to hitch rides with generous souls like ShuvD and Wimwian.

Having got that off my chest, let's go.
Old 4th November 2008, 19:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Are you talking about an off-roading club of Calcutta? Deoghar would be ideal with rocks and hills and sandy rivers etc. Unfortunately we don't have too many OTR vehicles among us!!
Old 5th November 2008, 00:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobashi View Post
it seems very likely that this initiative will take us in a clear-cut direction, and we need to think about it: not in a negative manner, but clearly understanding that it is a kind of new direction, which may or may not sit with existing directions and trajectories

Having got that off my chest, let's go.

Please explain that in english dada!

PS: Am in,whenever it is.
Old 5th November 2008, 01:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

If I'm in town, I'd love to join in.
Old 5th November 2008, 10:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Are you talking about an off-roading club of Calcutta? Deoghar would be ideal with rocks and hills and sandy rivers etc. Unfortunately we don't have too many OTR vehicles among us!!

The other day Sir Uday Bhan was apeaking about meeting in an offroad family environment. But I doubt if those details could be shared on an open forum. However post the first storming of his place by us, we might all know better.

How about 16th for a meet, but given that he will be back on 15th itself, it might be a bit tight for him. What say?
Old 5th November 2008, 15:48   #10
BHPian

Am game for 16th,if I'm in town too! Earlier I had to plan to be back on 16th from Puri,by road.If that happens,then some other dates would be suitable for me please.
Old 5th November 2008, 18:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post

Please explain that in english dada!

PS: Am in,whenever it is.
Hmmm. OK.
  1. Lots of people in the Calcutta group, with lots of interests.
  2. Trying to please everybody will result in mildly displeasing most.
  3. Trying to please certain sections fully will displease other sections:
    1. Long drive vs. short drive;
    2. Food and drink vs. something automotive and stirring(!);
    3. Overnight vs. same day;
    4. Off-road in off-roaders vs. drag racing;
  4. When we meet an expert like UBS, he'll be inspiring, but also challenging;
  5. Are we prepared to take him up on what he suggests?
  6. There will be others whose eyeballs roll around at the mention of off-roading, and will want to be included out, well out;
In short, there will be a clear and marked divergence of people's interests. This has to be handled carefully by you seniors.

For me, I'm happy to tag along with anyone and everyone, whenever I'm free, and whenever invited, and provided whatever's planned is within reason: no 212 hour marathons with toothpicks to keep our eyes open, no dragging (not in my car, though I'm only too happy to watch), no trips to Shirdi (not for a year or two yet ). All the rest is OK, except that I bar alcohol intake if I'm driving in the next two to three hours.

At the end of the day, it's all about people who like automobiles getting together for a harmless good time, right?
Old 5th November 2008, 20:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The other day Sir Uday Bhan was apeaking about meeting in an offroad family environment. But I doubt if those details could be shared on an open forum. However post the first storming of his place by us, we might all know better.

How about 16th for a meet, but given that he will be back on 15th itself, it might be a bit tight for him. What say?
Yeah I think 16th might be too tight for him. Let him come back and give us a date and we will stick to that. That's only being fair to him rather than imposing ourselves on him.

I agree with Bonobashi that trying to please everyone is not feasible. In such situations some benevolent dictatorship is welcome. I think one of the old timers - like Planet - should play the role of a dictator and decide on the basic dates and venues and activity and then just inform the others. Then individual members should decide whether to go or not.
And old timer is ideal for this role because he knows more or less the pulse of the group.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 5th November 2008 at 20:59.
Old 6th November 2008, 11:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

This thread will have limited visits. people have different views / interests in Cars Vs. Jeeps - Drags / Drifts / Rally Vs. Offroading - but at the end all are part of Motorsports.

I love motorsports - i will definitely like to be a part of the meet - i will/may not be able to get hold of one 4x4 jeep - but i love cars at the end of the day.

coming back to topic - it will be better to meet UBS when it will be convenient for him as well as us.
Old 6th November 2008, 11:50   #14
BHPian

Why don't we invite him to our Baganbari meet ?
Old 6th November 2008, 12:53   #15
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This post has been deleted as it amounts to spamming. We would appreciate if you post only when you have something that is value-adding to the thread. Your support will greatly help in maintaining the high quality standards of Team-BHP.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 6th November 2008 at 18:02.
ultimatechamp is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks