Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 16:09   #16
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: FFoF ! Or Ford Figo on Fire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
1. The material was described as a filler and a synthetic item like very heavy thick sponge. Going by that I think it would be a PU foam pad for insulation.
For insulation purpose, either rigid PU foams or polystyrene (styrofoam) are used, PU being more expensive and efficient. Without flame retardant additives, both materials are highly combustible.

So the theory that the foam caught fire first maybe justified.
Old 25th April 2011, 16:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
For insulation purpose, either rigid PU foams or polystyrene (styrofoam) are used, PU being more expensive and efficient. Without flame retardant additives, both materials are highly combustible.

So the theory that the foam caught fire first maybe justified.
Hi dot, Don't most of these insulation inserts in various vehicles come with fire retardant additives as a safety requirement ? I think by law in many of the countries, the soft components in vehicles like upholstery etc need to be made of fire retardant materials - what about the standards in India ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I guess its a combination of multiple factors, even in my case it never happend again, and i am sure i went through HOT tar many times in my Indica and my current car Baleno. It could be heat (as in Summer heat), the Tar being hot as its freshly laid, and last but not the least inferior quality mud flaps.
Quite true. The mud flaps if made of inferior quality plastic could certainly add to the heat/fire woes and attach hot debris from the road/s to itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Specially the figo ones! I've been driving with broken mudflaps for atleast 3-4 months now! I see many people in the figo community reporting the same too. Ford had informed that they will be releasing a softer mud flaps, but they are still not available! If the current ones are replaced, it wud anyway break sometime soon while negotiating the freaky road humps!

Scary incident though good to know that everybody, including the figo is safe!
Thanks figo_united. If you notice these days most of the vehicles have very hard mud flaps and invariably the low GC vehicles end up loosing a part of their mud flaps. Are the Fogo's flaps much harder and therefore more prone to damage ?

Last edited by Guderian : 25th April 2011 at 16:51.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks figo_united. If you notice these days most of the vehicles have very hard mud flaps and invariably the low GC vehicles end up loosing a part of their mud flaps. Are the Fogo's flaps much harder and therefore more prone to damage ?
The figo's mud flaps are hard plastic but not of great quality. Moreover they sit very low around 3-4 inches off the ground. very easy to touch.

Also the mud flap wont touch if it is very close to the tyre. In the figo, it's placed a few inches behind the tyre causing the wheel to go over then the mud flap hitting the object. If it's placed close to the tyre then it will not hit as the mud flap will be higher.

Those small artificial speed breakers hit everytime even with one person. It hits once the tyre has gone over. In other cars it doesnt as the mud flaps are closer to the tyre just behind.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th April 2011 at 17:11.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:37   #19
BHPian

Is the wheel free feeling when on neutral gear? The Disc of the front break not jamming more than it should?

It happened once on my bike when a Plastic packet came in contact with the Disc on the front tire and got melted in seconds. Now, if i read it correct, the Figo did go over some dry leaves, could the leaves have caught fire by getting in touch with a Hot Disc on the front wheel? The wheel arch could have melted by the heat from the burning leaves?
Old 25th April 2011, 17:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The figo's mud flaps are hard plastic but not of great quality. Moreover they sit very low around 3-4 inches off the ground. very easy to touch.

Also the mud flap wont touch if it is very close to the tyre. In the figo, it's placed a few inches behind the tyre causing the wheel to go over then the mud flap hitting the object. If it's placed close to the tyre then it will not hit as the mud flap will be higher.

Those small artificial speed breakers hit everytime even with one person. It hits once the tyre has gone over. In other cars it doesnt as the mud flaps are closer to the tyre just behind.
Thanks for the input vid. Appears then that the quality of the plastics used and the placement is the culprit here. Just the chap's luck to run over some hot tarred stones or embers coupled with a broken flap which caused a body gap. And it was mentioned to me that the left wheel went into a small pot hole but one that had loose stones in it. And your description perfectly details how the flap would have been damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Is the wheel free feeling when on neutral gear? The Disc of the front break not jamming more than it should?

It happened once on my bike when a Plastic packet came in contact with the Disc on the front tire and got melted in seconds. Now, if i read it correct, the Figo did go over some dry leaves, could the leaves have caught fire by getting in touch with a Hot Disc on the front wheel? The wheel arch could have melted by the heat from the burning leaves?
Hi mashmash - The brakes apparently were/are fine. And for the plastic to catch fire through the leaves coming in contact with the heated brake can be safely ruled out due to the speed and the fact that the dry leaves were in the body gap far from the brake discs.
Old 25th April 2011, 18:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am still wondering of one fact, how come you are investigating all these.
It should have actually been the dealer who should be asking these questions..
It should mean that your friend has not probably disclosed these details to the dealer.

Can you let us know if the dealer where able to catch this point about the incident or not?
Old 25th April 2011, 21:14   #22
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't most of these insulation inserts in various vehicles come with fire retardant additives as a safety requirement ? I think by law in many of the countries, the soft components in vehicles like upholstery etc need to be made of fire retardant materials - what about the standards in India ?
Let me check on this aspect. I will inquire through my contacts in the automotive industry.
Old 26th April 2011, 10:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I am still wondering of one fact, how come you are investigating all these.
It should have actually been the dealer who should be asking these questions..
It should mean that your friend has not probably disclosed these details to the dealer.

Can you let us know if the dealer where able to catch this point about the incident or not?
Hi Xing, Agree with you on that...but the dealer - Planet Ford, Pune was given every little bit of the details/information. Including the colour of the dress the family members wore on the drive and what they ate along the way ! But all the dealer came up was with outlandish theories and stopped short of blaming men from Mars.

So my friend had no option but to do the best he could do there and radio for help. And then seek a second opinion from me. Poor chap - believes that I am a Figo expert. I for one, till Sunday morning, didn't even know the front end from the rear of a Figo.

But anyway the fact was that my friend was feeling very blue and needed a shoulder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Let me check on this aspect. I will inquire through my contacts in the automotive industry.
Thanks Dot - shall await the details of the material. That too should throw light, I think a key element, on the cause of the fire. Incidentally the Ford dealer in Pune hasn't replaced the insert/insulation yet as they didn't have the same in stock. This case must be like what the Supreme Court calls some, the rarest of rare cases, and so a wonderful opportunity for the boffins at Ford to redesign a few things (like mud flaps, gaps and insulation inserts ?) on the Figo in the interest of safety !

I don't know whether my friend will take it in the right spirit or even see the humour in it - should remind him immediately and ask him to get a Vehicle Fire Extinguisher for the Figo. You never know when it'll be...gulp !
Old 26th April 2011, 13:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Xing, Agree with you on that...but the dealer - Planet Ford, Pune was given every little bit of the details/information. Including the colour of the dress the family members wore on the drive and what they ate along the way ! But all the dealer came up was with outlandish theories and stopped short of blaming men from Mars.

So my friend had no option but to do the best he could do there and radio for help. And then seek a second opinion from me. Poor chap - believes that I am a Figo expert. I for one, till Sunday morning, didn't even know the front end from the rear of a Figo.

But anyway the fact was that my friend was feeling very blue and needed a shoulder.

Thanks Dot - shall await the details of the material. That too should throw light, I think a key element, on the cause of the fire. Incidentally the Ford dealer in Pune hasn't replaced the insert/insulation yet as they didn't have the same in stock. This case must be like what the Supreme Court calls some, the rarest of rare cases, and so a wonderful opportunity for the boffins at Ford to redesign a few things (like mud flaps, gaps and insulation inserts ?) on the Figo in the interest of safety !

I don't know whether my friend will take it in the right spirit or even see the humour in it - should remind him immediately and ask him to get a Vehicle Fire Extinguisher for the Figo. You never know when it'll be...gulp !

like I said before - If the foam is not fire retardant then Figo is a very dangerous car. I don't think Ford will do anything that stupid.
Old 26th April 2011, 14:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
like I said before - If the foam is not fire retardant then Figo is a very dangerous car. I don't think Ford will do anything that stupid.
Hi vina, And now let's wait for dot to get back to us and have also asked my friend to check out the facts with the folks from Ford.
But frankly nothing would surprise me !
Old 27th April 2011, 02:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi vina, And now let's wait for dot to get back to us and have also asked my friend to check out the facts with the folks from Ford.

I would be worried - I'm in the process of buying a Figo right now.
Old 27th April 2011, 09:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I would be worried - I'm in the process of buying a Figo right now.
Hi vina, Can well understand your predicament !
However the update here is that the executives from Ford have yet to make the move after having sent a message that the A.R.M. of the Pune Area would get in touch etc.

Errr...you could say Ford is not 'Endeavour'ing enough to sort out the issue perhaps ?!! Or is everyone at Ford at a 'Fiesta' after the launch ?!! I just can't 'Figo'r it out ! Or is it that they are waiting for one of their senior service 'Ikon' 's to check out the 'burning' issue ?!!

Spoke to my friend late last night to get the update. Also have asked him again to take snaps with the mud flap off and of the PUF insert when the Ford chaps have a look at it.

And to be fair - this could be one of those freak accidents to hit an otherwise good product*.
*However other Figo owners can comment on this aspect.
You may check out with them and proceed to buy the F-Figo.

Let not just this episode alone be a deciding factor.
Good luck !

Last edited by Guderian : 27th April 2011 at 09:31.
Old 27th April 2011, 10:19   #28
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And now let's wait for dot to get back to us

Folks, I am still on it. Taking more time and effort than what I anticipated!! Hang on
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 12:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

A quick update that the Ford A.R.M. contacted my friend yesterday - a date for inspection, and whatever else, has been fixed for Friday, April 29, 2011.
Let's see what happens next. Should be interesting !

Another cheerful discovery/ direct information was that folks from Ford are following this thread and others on the group and TBHP in general. Mentioned to me by my chum. Good sign eh ?
Old 28th April 2011, 15:07   #30
BHPian

That is one freak accident. Good thing it didn't worsen. BTW, something just crossed my mind. We have a "must have accessory" thread, has anyone included a fire extinguisher in there? I am going to buy one for my new car. I had faced a problem with my Palio where the circuits\wiring in the dashboard shorted & I could see smoke coming out from the dashboard itself. Thankfully I switched off the ignition in time & called the mechanic who fixed it, or else the entire wiring of the car would've burnt out. I am grateful my family was not in the car with me.
Remember people "FIRE EXTINGUISHERS" a must have for all car users.

Last edited by mb_jg : 28th April 2011 at 15:08.
mb_jg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks