I have a hatch. I also bought a sedan because,

1. Need more boot space
2. More comfortable, especially for long distance travel
3. Feels more safe with more metal around
4. Generally comes with bigger engines and hence drives better
5. Good and spacious back seats with center arm rest, audio controls etc
6. Snob factor
7. Looks better

Last edited by vasoo : 26th July 2010 at 14:22.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well there are definitely valid reasons for going in for a sedan instead of hatchback other then 'status' and 'boot space' but it depends on which sedan you are considering over which hatch.

Lets say you are going in for DZire instead of Alto/Estilo/AStar/WagonR, you get much more in DZire in terms of Stability, Safety, Performance along with 'status' and 'boot space'. But if you are going in for DZire instead of Swift then 'status' and 'boot space' are the only reasons.

I bought a hatchback when I could have easily got top variant of DZire, Manza, Icon and so on at similar price.

Last edited by HammerHead : 26th July 2010 at 14:28.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Lets say you are going in for DZire instead of Alto/Estilo/AStar/WagonR, you get much more in DZire in terms of Stability, Safety, Performance along with 'status' and 'boot space'. But if you are going in for DZire instead of Swift then 'status' and 'boot space' are the only reasons.
Dude, where does the price factor go? Your post would be sensible if you had compared a Dzire with an i20 Asta or Jazz. And i bet those 2 are safer than the Dzire!

Quote:

I bought a hatchback when I could have easily got top variant of DZire, Manza, Icon and so on at similar price.
My neighbor who is a millionaire bought a Nano while he could afford a Mercedes/BMW/Audi. So? What are you trying to say?

You would have bought a hatch for it's practicality, ease of parking and driving in the city, etc. That doesn't matter. We are discussing why people go for a sedan over a hatch and not vice-versa.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 26th July 2010 at 14:33. Reason: Replying to Edited part
Old 26th July 2010, 14:35   #34
BHPian

Hey ! No one talked about social status.

I guess you will get more respect in society if you have a 'badi gaddi' rather than a cheap & common hatchback.

Just because of this one reason, you will see lot of people buying sedans rather that hatchbacks.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

I dont think so because of social status one prefers a sedan over a hatch. It is also because of self upgradation. Nobody in your building is going to give you extra respect just coz you got a sedan. In fact in my society most people drool over the i20's, the Beat's and the Figo's. You go for a sedan over a hatch mainly for your practical requirement rather than a social show off.

If you need extra boot space than that available in hatchback because of your freqeunt travelling, larger family, you would definitly go for a sedan, now where does the snob factor fit in here? Boot space is the only thing which seperates a sedan from a hatch and now even that gap is narrowed courtesy the rear adjustable seats in hatchback. Rest all features available in sedan are more or less available in some or the other variant of the latest hatchbacks.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Dude, where does the price factor go? Your post would be sensible if you had compared a Dzire with an i20 Asta or Jazz. And i bet those 2 are safer than the Dzire!
Dude, no need to read between lines. Read the first line of my post where in I said "but it depends on which sedan you are considering over which hatch."

How about comparing Jazz Select Edition with Linea Emotion Pk? Or say Fiesta 1.6 Duratec SXI? That looks like a valid comparison right?

By the way the tread starter did not mention about price factor!!

Quote:
My neighbor who is a millionaire bought a Nano while he could afford a Mercedes/BMW/Audi. So? What are you trying to say?
Can he buy a Mercedes/BMW/Audi at Nano's price?

Quote:
You would have bought a hatch for it's practicality, ease of parking and driving in the city, etc. That doesn't matter.
Sure, but also for Handling, Safety, Diving Pleasure, Equipment Level some of which is mentioned by members above as advantage in a sedan over hatchback.

Quote:
We are discussing why people go for a sedan over a hatch and not vice-versa.
Fair enough, I will stick to the topic now.

Last edited by HammerHead : 26th July 2010 at 15:56.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:31   #37
BHPian

Reason why people prefer sedan is because of the riding comfort and simpley for the fact that they can afford one. Other reason could be the fact that they have parking space.

The reason why I didnt buy a sedan is because I cant park one. My parking space can accommodate only a hatch. I would have loved to buy a AHNC, but I cannot park in my garage!

Last edited by MutantX : 26th July 2010 at 16:33.
Old 26th July 2010, 17:26   #38
BHPian

I chose another hatchback ( this time a premium one ) after owning a hatchback for close to seven years.

primary reason: parking space, ease of use in city. A premium hatch combines this with highway performance, thats a good combo to have.

I thought really hard about the approx 150 liters of boot capacity I may lose by buying a hatchback. Somehow I just couldnt accept the approx additional 1.5 to 2 L that I may have to pay for Sedans that has similar or better spec. That is a whopping 1000 Rs or more per liter of boot space.

Btw I have an i20 CRDi. Apart from the low speed ride which could be a little better, I dont miss a sedan if I forget the 150 lit of extra storage.

Oh btw the i20 is wider than a Verna and Fiesta, and I guess has a longer wheelbase too.
Old 26th July 2010, 17:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

A hatchback makes more sense to own and drive as cities are getting congested ,negotiating bumper to bumper traffic is painful.
Parking a hatch in maneuvering tight lanes are a breeze with a hatch back.

I feel it’s not wise to have just have a boot to carry airport luggage once in a while, hiring a taxi is a better option.

Small cars and having a good transportation system is the way forward, big car fascination is now a fad at least in the European world.
Old 26th July 2010, 18:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

All said and done....If I had the money to buy either one of the two styles, I will always go for the sedan. Bigger vehicle =more fun. Tough to park and what not! I'll mange it all.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:08   #41
BHPian

Can't comment on what/why other buy but I would prefer a Hatch over Sedan. I love hatchbacks and think they look much better than sedans (ignoring WagonR, Estilo, here).

For all the people talking about wheelbase, my Getz's wheelbase is longer than Ford Icon or Indigo CS.

What I mean to say is; Hatchback and Sedan are just 'body styles' and don't have anything to do with size/performance/features.

EDIT: To put things in perspective; my Chevy Camaro (see my garage) was also a hatchback.

Last edited by vabs78 : 26th July 2010 at 19:11.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:21   #42
BHPian

Hi,

I'd like to buy the BMW Mini when available. Practical for the city with huge "bling" factor. Just my two cents.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:42   #43
BHPian

I'm not able to digest some of the comments here. Why would I give more respect to someone owning a sedan compared to one owning a hatch? The car has nothing to do with the respect for a person. Respect can not be bought from a car showroom.

Last edited by Gandhi : 26th July 2010 at 19:44.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:48   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

I apologize if this sounds stupid, but doesn't a sedan offer better ride quality than a hatch of the same price range?. Take a Ford IKON or LOGAN, and similarly priced hatch's. Also IMO, a sedan is a better mile muncher than a hatch back. For cities, a hatch is definitely better due to its compact size, and it could also be quite fun to drive, but on long highways and winding roads a sedan should be more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I'm not able to digest some of the comments here. Why would I give more respect to someone owning a sedan compared to one owning a hatch? The car has nothing to do with the respect for a person. Respect can not be bought from a car showroom.
Friend, I guess its a human physiology to give more respect to bigger things. Like an SUV earns more respect than a sedan. Now, I'm not talking about hardcore petrol heads, but then 'aam people' in villages and with limited automotive knowledge. I have even seen many traffic police men give respect to sedan's.
As far as people in my place are concerned, an SUV better than a Sedan which is better than a hatch - whatever be the price. A Black Scorpio with Huge Fog lamps and loud horns is always better than a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla.

P.S- The Merc status is also purely physiological, atleast in my place, a Merc C is always more noted/respected than a BMW 3 series.

Last edited by dhanushs : 26th July 2010 at 20:03.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
It should be that way in the ideal world. But it is not like that. Lets all blame it on the mentality. If you don't have that mentality then you don't have such prejudice. Good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I apologize if this sounds stupid, but doesn't a sedan offer better ride quality than a hatch of the same price range?.
Nope not always.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks