Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 01:23   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: *Installed* : Vtec indicator in my Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
my car has an AT
Ah.. how stupid of me to over look this aspect. Yes, this indeed does make a LOT of difference.

As for checking power/torque figures with ODB, I do not know know reliable they are. However, please do enter the engine size, rated output, vehicle weight and any data avaialble to make the calibration as close as possible.

Thanks!
Old 5th July 2011, 10:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

OBD Scanner - just reads the message and sends to the pc software. The message is decoded and used as it is.

dot are you planning to use ELM 327 based scanner? I have one and they are pretty good and cheap too
Old 5th July 2011, 11:08   #33
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
dot are you planning to use ELM 327 based scanner? I have one and they are pretty good and cheap too
Yes, I am planning to buy and use a ELM 327 bluetooth device. One deterrent I see is that the connection is frequently lost between the device and phone. Did you observe anything similar? I feel it is due to loose connection of the ELM box with the OBD port.
Old 5th July 2011, 11:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One deterrent I see is that the connection is frequently lost between the device and phone. Did you observe anything similar? I feel it is due to loose connection of the ELM box with the OBD port.
I feel that is more due to the BT/wireless connection between the scan device and the phone, rather than the connection between the scan device and the diagnostic port.

How about WiFi or better yet, USB? I'm sure you'll be able to find a USB-compatible scan device that can connect to your phone's miniUSB port via a USB-to-miniUSB cable.

Regards,
spadix
Old 5th July 2011, 12:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

@dot thanks for this !

While I knew that reason why there was no VTEC kick, I did not know that VTEC was engaged at low rpms only with a light foot ! Good to know and explains some of the high FE experiments.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 12:11   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One deterrent I see is that the connection is frequently lost between the device and phone. Did you observe anything similar? I feel it is due to loose connection of the ELM box with the OBD port.
dot, I assume you were using ODB Scope at the time? Well ODB Scope trial versions do have this problem. Also, some PC softwares too have it. However, with Torque, I have made long, 250km runs without any connectivity problems.

Another problem with bluetooth OBD Device's is that you really cant install the right drivers for them to work in the PC. I still have not figured out a way. However, once you plugin a USB Cable OBD device, and drivers are installed, you can use the bluetooth one too.
Old 5th July 2011, 12:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

dot I went in for the USB version and always takes my net book with the required softwares. I had no issues so far. I had a test for a full drive for over 800Kms once, not a single disconnection.

Probably is it the bluetooth playing up?
Old 8th July 2011, 15:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Dot, that's some nice exploration and DIY that you have done. The thread is an eye opener. Great work indeed.

It will be interesting to see if anyone tries this out in the OHC or VTEC ANHC! I have an OHC and would have volunteered to do the same ... but it is a non VTEC model !!
Old 8th July 2011, 20:52   #39
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
The thread is an eye opener.

It will be interesting to see if anyone tries this out in the OHC or VTEC ANHC!!
Thanks. I guess it is too early for ANHC owners to try out any such tricks. Most likely the cars are still under warranty period! However I would love to see an indicator telling that the vtec kick is here to rock! This is possible in ANHC's L-series engine. Sadly, R18A tells you, "look, I am saving your money".

Last edited by dot : 8th July 2011 at 20:54.
Old 9th July 2011, 00:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot
Sadly, R18A tells you, "look, I am saving your money".
Hey, that's easy to fix! Just invert your LED's behaviour!

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 16:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow this thread is now hot. Congrats dot!

I love all manner of indicators and glowlamps, so this one pleased me no end!

Is there a turbo indicator that can be fitted that glows when turbo kicks in (on a turbo-ed car, I mean)? Imagine driving a Vento Tdi or Linea TJet and the LED glows everytime turbo kicks in. Awesome!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 16:33   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I love all manner of indicators and glowlamps, so this one pleased me no end!

Is there a turbo indicator that can be fitted that glows when turbo kicks in..
Yeah noopster!, I too love the telltale lights for everything. Its really nice to know whats going on under the hood visually. .

Regarding turbo indicator, I don't think one can install that. The vtec is triggered by the ECM, and hence the electrical signal can be interpreted. Where as, the turbo is a mechanical device. The turbo is always spooling, and its at a certain rpm's where the exhaust reaches the velocity and temperature for the turbo to spool at speeds required to generate the boost.

However, it might be possible to interpret the symptoms after the boost is achieved, but might not be as simple as tapping a wire.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 23:46   #43
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Is there a turbo indicator that can be fitted that glows when turbo kicks in (on a turbo-ed car, I mean)?
Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Regarding turbo indicator, I don't think one can install that.
the turbo is a mechanical device. The turbo is always spooling, and its at a certain rpm's where the exhaust reaches the velocity and temperature for the turbo to spool at speeds required to generate the boost.

However, it might be possible to interpret the symptoms after the boost is achieved, but might not be as simple as tapping a wire.
What about monitoring the air flow sensor or O2 sensor, or even fuel pressure by an OBD device? It should change when the turbo boost is achieved, isnt it?

Last edited by dot : 15th July 2011 at 23:49.
Old 16th July 2011, 00:53   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What about monitoring the air flow sensor or O2 sensor, or even fuel pressure by an OBD device? It should change when the turbo boost is achieved, isnt it?
Actually, I think the boost directly shows up on the ODB. So, we could use a mechanism(electronic) to trigger the LED when a certain level of boost is achieved, where the difference is actually felt.
Old 16th July 2011, 14:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

A turbo boost can be sensed mechanically and this mechanical work can be converted into electrical signal and inturn make a LED glow or bring a display board saying "you are now running like a stabbed rabbit". The mass flow rate/volume in the turbo chamber can be analysed and using the compression value(the output pressure to input pressure) the turbo kick can be simulated. This is similar to EGT(exhaust gas temperature) measurement in gas turbine engines in aircraft. A turbo is a miniature compressor and a similar tech can be used, taking cues from aircraft technology

edit: Well, I googled and found out that even cars with turbo have this EGT sensor. So
Quote:
An exhaust gas temperature gauge (EGT gauge) is an automotive meter used to monitor the exhaust gas temperature of an internal combustion engine or rotary engine in conjunction with a thermocouple-type pyrometer. By monitoring EGT, the driver can get an idea of the car's air-fuel ratio. At a balanced air-fuel ratio, the exhaust gas temperature is lower than that in a lean or rich air-fuel ratio. High temperatures (typically above 1600 degrees F) can be an indicator of dangerous conditions that can lead to catastrophic engine failure.
This meter is most used in tuning turbo-equipped cars. If the sensor is installed at the manifold collector before the turbo, the turbine inlet temperature can be monitored. If the sensor is installed after the turbo, the exhaust temperature can be monitored. Because EGT will typically drop 200-300 degrees F across the turbine, installers in general will try to put the thermocouple as close to the cylinder head as possible to give a true reading that will require less mental math to read properly, and a reading that will react faster to the engine's condition compared to an installation after the turbo.
Using an EGT alone is considered an older technique for getting the most out of an engine, as a gauge-type wideband digital oxygen sensor can be purchased for about the same price, or for a little more. However, some advanced racers will use EGT gauges in combination with a wideband oxygen sensor to 'lean' the fuel ratio a bit to safely raise the temperature for more power.
from wiki!! using the change in temperature(outlet-inlet) we can say the turbo has kicked in or not, thus a LED blinks. I guess that helps.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 16th July 2011 at 14:40.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks