Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2012, 20:16   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs
I guess you mean play the boogeyman by the way did you also have a leaking clutch/brake fluid metal hose?
master cylinder, about 15 months back.
had to be replaced.
why?
Old 13th February 2012, 20:31   #32
BHPian

Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
master cylinder, about 15 months back.
had to be replaced.
why?
Was stranded on the road with no clutch/brake fluid, the metal/rubber hose had given way, happened couple of months ago. just wanted to continue to play the boogeyman, fiesta is 5/6 years old and now expect a) clutch issues b) speed sensor issues c) A/C coil issues
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 18:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi Yogi1771,

My car having this problem nearly 5 months. None of the mechanic and Ford guys couldn't resolve it. Please tell me if you rectified this problem.
Yeah the problem was rectified after they changed the coils.
yogi1771 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 18:18   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Was stranded on the road with no clutch/brake fluid, the metal/rubber hose had given way, happened couple of months ago. just wanted to continue to play the boogeyman, fiesta is 5/6 years old and now expect a) clutch issues b) speed sensor issues c) A/C coil issues
Ahead of the game buddy!!
clutch fixed last year, full assembly, just for the heck of it.
speed sensor failed fluctuatingly, but could not be diagnosed, but finally at my insistence, ford changed it, and voils, problem of DTE/Digi od blanking out gone.
A/c coil...you got me , padner...
Old 4th March 2012, 12:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

My query is not regarding Fiesta but Xylo.

The Cooling Efficiency of our Xylo E8 ABS is low when the Low Power mode is used.
But the Cooling is nice when the Hi Power mode is used.

I dont like to use Hi Power since it consumes more fuel.

Recently I got the gas refilled and the condenser cleaned with pressurized air. But still the Cooling on Low Power Mode is not as good as it was when the car was new.

Do I have to check the Evaporator Coil checked? If so, what will be the cost and time incurred?

EDIT:
Just now checked Cabin AC Filter cleaning of Ford Figo.

Does Xylo also feature Cabin AC Filter? If yes should I get it cleaned and from where- MASS or Local Garage?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 4th March 2012 at 12:47. Reason: Reason mentioned in the Edited post.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:32   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the coil changed y'day.
the coil, 2 hoses, a grille, and filters, combined costs came to 7k.
the SA read this out to me over the phone, and I reached ford a happy bambi!
then saw the invoice for 14k!!!!
7 odd k for labor!!!!
yowtch!!!!
Old 5th March 2012, 12:13   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
7 odd k for labor!!!!
Mayankk, could you please elaborate on labour, or post a scan of the bill?

7k is just outrageous. IIRC, for removing and reassembling a strut ford charges just ~200 bucks. So, removing and reassembling the dash would never cost 7k!!
Old 5th March 2012, 12:54   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Mayankk, could you please elaborate on labour, or post a scan of the bill?

7k is just outrageous. IIRC, for removing and reassembling a strut ford charges just ~200 bucks. So, removing and reassembling the dash would never cost 7k!!
here we go.
Apparently the core is cheap, the hoses are deadly!!

PS:all legible, just click and zoom.

PPS:Got a discount on labor due to earlier "flagrant displays of monies"!!
Attached Thumbnails
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-20120305-12.40.45.jpg  

A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-20120305-12.40.31.jpg  

Last edited by mayankk : 5th March 2012 at 12:58.
Old 11th March 2012, 19:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Mods, Sorry for bumping my post. But please experts answer my query posted above on 4th March 2012 at the earliest.
Old 11th March 2012, 20:32   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi
Mods, Sorry for bumping my post. But please experts answer my query posted above on 4th March 2012 at the earliest.
I'm sure there is a cabin filter. Do get that checked and cleaned/replaced.
Old 25th March 2012, 23:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

A/c Cooling Coil and Cabin Filter of Xylo E8 ABS got cleaned.

Sorry friends for posting so late. But was busy with work.
I carried out his job on 17-03-2012.

I went to a mechanic who does AC-related job also.

I told him that I want to get the AC Cabin Filter cleaned since the AC is not cooling sufficiently on Lo Power Mode.

On this he replied "I don't think there is something like AC Cabin Filter. You have to get the AC Cooling Coil cleaned. Then only you will see the difference. And even if there is Cabin Filter, it CANNOT be removed without removing the Dashboard and AC Cooling Coil".

I knew he is lieing to me. But I agreed because I knew that while working on it, I will definitely come across the AC Cabin Filter (and I can it myself henceforth) . So I gave him Green Signal to go ahead with the job even though his charges of Removing the complete Dashboard, removing the Cooling Coil, Cleaning it and refitting all the above parts and refilling the AC Gas would cost Rs.3000/-.

He told the total time required will be around 6-7 hours. I said "OK. But I want to see the how dirty is Cabin Filter. After removing the Dashboard inform me, I will come and see".

Then I left for office.

After 2 hours, he called me and told that the dashboard has been removed and I went to his place.

Below are the details of the job--
1) After removing complete dashboard and all inside parts--
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-after-removal-dashboard.jpg

2) AC Cooling Coil--
The below pictures of AC Cooling Coil shows that the latter had become dirty.
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-ac-cooling-coil-before-cleaning-2.jpg
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-ac-cooling-coil-before-cleaning-1.jpg

After cleaning (the mechanic himself took it for cleaning at some other place, may be vehicle washing center), the cooling coil looked like this. I know the coil has not been cleaned thoroughly.
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-ac-cooling-coil-after-cleaning.jpg

3) The AC Cooling Coil and Evaporator Coil Housing--
The Cooling Coil sits on top and below it is the Evaporator Coil (not visible in these photos).
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-ac-evaporator-coil-housing-1.jpg
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-ac-evaporator-coil-housing-2.jpg

4) The AC Cabin Filter and Blower Housing--
Red Arrow shows Slot of Cabin Filter and Green Arrow shows the Blower Housing
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-blower-ac-cabin-filter-housing.jpg

5) The Cabin Filter after the mechanic cleaned it with plain water ( I cleaned it myself with Soap and water after returning home. More on this later).
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-ac-cabin-filter-after-mechanic-cleaning.jpg

6) The Fitting Process going on--
Here too the Cabin Filter is visible (Red Arrow). Below it is the Blower Housing.
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-fitting-ac-unit-2-location-cabin-filter-visible.jpg
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-09location-cabin-filter.jpg

7)The Safety Member inside the Dashboard.
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-safety-member-sits-inside-dashboard.jpg
A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta-after-fitting-safety-member.jpg

The Cooling efficiency has much improved but I am unable to compare it to that of when the car was new.

There is one more problem I noticed after this job was carried out.

Whenever the AC Compressor switches ON (after cutting off), there is some hissing sound for 2-3 seconds towards Driver's Side. Also when the AC is switched OFF manually before turning the ignition OFF, there is some hissing sound which remains for 10-15 seconds.
I am not able to figure out solution on this. Neither the cause behind this.

Anyways, lets see what happens next.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:07   #42
BHPian

Re: A/c Cooling Coil and Cabin Filter of Xylo E8 ABS got cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Sorry friends for posting so late. But was busy with work.
I carried out his job on 17-03-2012.
....xxx....

There is one more problem I noticed after this job was carried out.

Whenever the AC Compressor switches ON (after cutting off), there is some hissing sound for 2-3 seconds towards Driver's Side. Also when the AC is switched OFF manually before turning the ignition OFF, there is some hissing sound which remains for 10-15 seconds.
I am not able to figure out solution on this. Neither the cause behind this.

Anyways, lets see what happens next.
thanks for the wonderful info on this, with pics.
This hissing sound I hear from day-1 when starting and sometimes intermediately, but I was told that this is Normal. In my vehicle, since last month, this sound has increased and even the same symptom when shutting down. I went to nearby MMASS and was told that 'Expansion Valve' has gone kaput and needs to be replaced, around Rs.2500 + labor and would be covered within warranty. He also advised to get the complete AC servicing (coil, fins, filter cleaned, gas renew etc) labor costing ~Rs.5000 at the same time of valve changing, since most part needs to be opened anyways! Estimated time for this job - 2 days. This week plan to recheck at another MMASS. The cooling is quite well in Lo and Hi modes, but intend to get it serviced (preventive and hygiene factors), provided the scope of work and price is justified well !

I was also told that MM has stopped replaceable-type AC Cabin Filter in Xylo and only need to be cleaned. Do you have any idea if this could be replaced (hygiene) ?

thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 01:11   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ If you're finding the ac effective,then the expansion valve could not have gone kaput.

what has gone kaput is the integrity of most ASCs

as long as you find the ac effective,please don't disturb the unit.

The refrigerant and oil that come with a new car are best left to do their job ; once you open up the system,you can't be sure of what oil and what quality of refrigerant is used.

Last edited by vigsom : 2nd April 2012 at 01:15. Reason: addn
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Pranav,
The Cabin Filter does not need replacement unless it is damaged (torn).
Just clean with Soap and Water.

My camera is with our employee so could not post the cabin filter cleaning procedure.

But I will, ASA I get the camera from him.

@vigsom,

How to check whether Expansion Valve is faulty or not? If it is faulty, what is the cost of repair (or replacement if no repair possible)?
Old 3rd April 2012, 00:49   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ If you're finding the ac effective,then the expansion valve could not have gone kaput.

what has gone kaput is the integrity of most ASCs

as long as you find the ac effective,please don't disturb the unit.

The refrigerant and oil that come with a new car are best left to do their job ; once you open up the system,you can't be sure of what oil and what quality of refrigerant is used.
I liked your line for ASC's integrity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Pranav,
The Cabin Filter does not need replacement unless it is damaged (torn).
Just clean with Soap and Water.

My camera is with our employee so could not post the cabin filter cleaning procedure.

But I will, ASA I get the camera from him.

@vigsom,

How to check whether Expansion Valve is faulty or not? If it is faulty, what is the cost of repair (or replacement if no repair possible)?
the info on this valve check would be appreciated.

Today went to my regular MMASS for AC and other works.
Technician checked the leakage using the gas machine connected to socket in gas line (dont know what to call that point) withinin engine bay. He first purged (emptied) the gas, finally said that gas level was low. Recharged back again the gas. But didnt find any leaks, so I doubt how does it become low ? Cost Rs.150. Another Sr.Technician told that such hissing sound may also come if Gas is Low or High, but not if correct pressure ! Also got cleaned the Blower Motor and pressure air inside that compartment; also got washed the cabin filter. Cost Rs.380 & Rs.60 respectively. In the job card the AC guy has mentioned this cleaned, but I was sure its not done. So again asked supervisor to get it opened - actually it wasnt cleaned ! Gross negligence or integrity issue ?

Maybe physiological, the cooling is good (it was evening time at delivery). Surprising, even the initial hissing sound is gone now. This would be under observation and if problem is found then entire dash would be opened to further diagnose, and using some 'nitrogen' based leak check, then can club AC Service if effort & cost is justified.

I inquired, AC servicing would be around Rs.5500/- includes cleaning of pipes, coil, fins, condenser, evaporator, compressor oil + ring (if worn), gas recharge.
Alternative, there is 'Ultra Sonic Treatment' costing Rs.1600 wherein without removing gas its cleaned, but its not comprehensive.

I would update my observations in few days.

thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks