Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2015, 11:09   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: A/c Evaporator coil fails 2nd time in my Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Any idea what sort of damage causes the evaporator to get replaced? Since it sits safe buckled behind the dashboard, unlike the condensor that sits ahead, no iota of a physical damage can be thought of.
As mentioned in my LTO thread, it is corrosion that causes it. I don't think there could be any other cause. Per the AC service guy, almost all cars nowadays, like Hyundais, Skodas, VWs, Hondas, etc have aluminum evaporator coils that facilitate instant cooling. But they are prone to corrosion after a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
If you are referring to that woosh sound that comes during the Aircon start up, then just ignore it. Our figo makes the same sound, been living with this sound close to 2 - 2,1/2 years now. During the service the SA keeps asking if we want this sound checked, on asking him what would be done to check this sound? He replies - removing and re-fixing the dashboard, checking the coil ( all this means big labour costs). So far everything about the AC is behaving normal, except for that wooossh sound. Until my AC starts acting up, I will just ignore this sound.
That's the right spirit. Don't fall prey to A.S.S. I don't know when my problem started, but I noticed it first only in mid-may, when temperatures were around 44 degrees C. But even then, the AC seemed to work fine during early mornings and late evenings, when temperatures were below 38.

But over the next month and a half, I could discern a drop in cooling efficiency even when temperatures did not cross 35 degrees. During replacement, the AC center said nearly 75 % gas had leaked out.

Considering that the part lasted for more than 8 years, I don't have much reason to lament, and more so after hearing that it fails in cars of most manufacturers.

Last edited by vnabhi : 5th July 2015 at 11:10.
Old 6th May 2016, 10:51   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

And at the onset of the worst summers to be expected, guess what has happened?
I think 5 years this one lasted.
Actually ACs in my area, window, split or car, they all suffer.
The local AC repair guy probably lives in central delhi, servicing close to 2000 home aircons every year without fail.
Old 6th May 2016, 11:01   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
And at the onset of the worst summers to be expected, guess what has happened?
I think 5 years this one lasted.
Actually ACs in my area, window, split or car, they all suffer.
The local AC repair guy probably lives in central delhi, servicing close to 2000 home aircons every year without fail.
I guess this is your second one? I wonder if they'll revert to copper coils. My 2001 WagonR's AC has never been serviced so far. Works great.
Old 6th May 2016, 11:23   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess this is your second one? I wonder if they'll revert to copper coils. My 2001 WagonR's AC has never been serviced so far. Works great.
Yep second one.
Do they have copper coils? Im getting it done outside this time around. Oe parts, total cost 7k, could be lesser. The previous change was close to 14k, with the coil itself being 7k.
Old 6th May 2016, 11:26   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yep second one.
Do they have copper coils? Im getting it done outside this time around. Oe parts, total cost 7k, could be lesser. The previous change was close to 14k, with the coil itself being 7k.
No. All cars have Aluminum coils. Not sure of my WagonR's though.

I paid 7700 last year at an FNG. It was an authorized Subros center.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 10:07   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
No. All cars have Aluminum coils. Not sure of my WagonR's though.

I paid 7700 last year at an FNG. It was an authorized Subros center.

Hi all,

Have started facing issues with AC in my 2014 Ford Classic Diesel.
Yesterday while heading to Bangalore when I rotated the AC blower knob from 1 to 2, I noticed no blower speed increase and I tried doing it till the 4th position of the knob and I found to get the blower sound coming out though the air blow is not getting stronger at all, but still some cold air is coming out the ac vents and gradually even the existed blower speed also came to nil and it started getting the cabin hotter cz of the scorching sun outside and I though will switch off the AC for some time and opened the windows and drove for another 10mins. I again switched ON the ac and now surprisingly it started blowing perfectly.

But sadly after another 30mins it again deteriorated and back to the previous state of no blow at all. Had to do the same exercise of switching OFF and ON for another 200kms before reaching Bangalore

Don't know what exactly is wrong here, Can any one please help me in identify the problem here and guide me with a solution??
Old 30th January 2017, 10:55   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

Does the blower stop or is it just the air flow coming to zero?

If it is just the air flow , and your car has a cabin air filter , please have it cleaned.

I hope the controls are all undisturbed viz.a.c. in recirculation mode , with temperature knob turned to blue and the louvres adjusted to throw air in front .
Old 30th January 2017, 11:43   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^

Does the blower stop or is it just the air flow coming to zero?

If it is just the air flow , and your car has a cabin air filter , please have it cleaned.

I hope the controls are all undisturbed viz.a.c. in recirculation mode , with temperature knob turned to blue and the louvres adjusted to throw air in front .
I could hear the sound of blower but the air is not at all reaching the cabin, and the same was gradually decreasing and blower stopped blowing any air to cabin after sometime, and post switching OFF the AC for some time and then switch ON will again restart the AC.
Old 30th January 2017, 11:59   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Hi all,

Don't know what exactly is wrong here, Can any one please help me in identify the problem here and guide me with a solution??
Your A/C pollen filter is clogged. Change it and you are good to go. IF the pollen filter has a crack on it then the evaporator coil is clogged. IF the filter and coil are pristine then there is a refrigerant control valve in the compressor assembly. Any clogging results in ice build up which diminishes air delivery. Once the ice melts the ac functions normally. Change the valve for Rs 3500 inclusive of refrigerant and you are good to go. In the Cruze the valve has to be changed at 1 lakh km for Rs4000. If you are in Kerala drive down to Cochin, Pathadipalam and no where else. I have detailed the address elsewhere.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 30th January 2017 at 12:01.
drpullockaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 12:06   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Your A/C pollen filter is clogged. Change it and you are good to go. IF the pollen filter has a crack on it then the evaporator coil is clogged. IF the filter and coil are pristine then there is a refrigerant control valve in the compressor assembly. Any clogging results in ice build up which diminishes air delivery. Once the ice melts the ac functions normally. Change the valve for Rs 3500 inclusive of refrigerant and you are good to go. In the Cruze the valve has to be changed at 1 lakh km for Rs4000. If you are in Kerala drive down to Cochin, Pathadipalam and no where else. I have detailed the address elsewhere.

Reached Bangalore yesterday, I think I ll have to take it to an Authorized Service Centre, I doubt whether these will get covered under the vehicle's Warranty?
Old 30th January 2017, 12:10   #101
BHPian

If you are in Kerala here is the address of the technician in the second post in the link.

http://*************/showthread.php?...pressor-owners
Old 30th January 2017, 13:58   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If you are in Kerala here is the address of the technician in the second post in the link.

http://*************/showthread.php?...pressor-owners
I think the url is encrypted??
Old 5th February 2017, 08:02   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I think the url is encrypted??
It is probably because it is on a rival website GEARHEADS.
Old 5th February 2017, 08:07   #104
BHPian

GO to the gearheads dot in website and type or copy paste "Warning-to-all-new-generation-Automobile-A-C-compressor-owners" in the search field.
Old 5th February 2017, 11:12   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had to do the same exercise of switching OFF and ON for another 200kms before reaching Bangalore

Your cut off switch might not be working, and your evaporator coil might be icing up. Check that along with the earlier suggestions.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks