Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2006, 17:54   #1
BHPian

Santro Engine Oil

What is the best engine oil available for the Hyundai Santro. What is the engine oil change interval for the Santro. The car is a millenium model(Year 2000) and done only about 11500kms.
Old 18th February 2006, 22:22   #2
DRC
BHPian

Dude, You haven't changed the engine oil in about 5 years? Or did I assume?

YOu need to change the engine oil atlease every year, whether or not you use the car (11500 is a very low usage!),

Check out Mobil1 or Shell Helix, They are synthetic, expesive but very good. But if your usage is very low, think if you want to spend that kind of money on oil!
Old 19th February 2006, 08:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

11.5k in five years????? 16kms per month? one litre per month?
Old 19th February 2006, 09:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
11.5k in five years????? 16kms per month? one litre per month?

thats quite a calculation you have there bro... still since your car might go 16kms per month approximately then i guess castrol magnatec should be fine. No point spending on oil when you dont use the car that much.And change the engine oil once a year or 10,000 kms which ever is earlier .. i am surprised that hyundai service engineers have not told you this..
Old 19th February 2006, 12:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

well anyway since he started this topic what would one suggest for a xing that does 1500 per month
Old 19th February 2006, 13:51   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Is Shell Helix, really costly? As far as I remember Maruti Workshop put in 3.8L in my WagonR for around Rs. 600/-.
Next time I shifted to Castrol GTX Magnatec. The engine actually feels much smoother than the Helix.
Old 19th February 2006, 14:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Dude, You haven't changed the engine oil in about 5 years? Or did I assume?

YOu need to change the engine oil atlease every year, whether or not you use the car (11500 is a very low usage!),

Check out Mobil1 or Shell Helix, They are synthetic, expesive but very good. But if your usage is very low, think if you want to spend that kind of money on oil!
Dude, The oil has been changed 4 times in the past 5 years. So forth it has been the OE oil that is Servo. I have been told the oil would have to be changed every 5000kms.
Old 19th February 2006, 14:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
thats quite a calculation you have there bro... still since your car might go 16kms per month approximately then i guess castrol magnatec should be fine. No point spending on oil when you dont use the car that much.And change the engine oil once a year or 10,000 kms which ever is earlier .. i am surprised that hyundai service engineers have not told you this..
Guys, this is nothing to make fun and laugh at, I know very well as to how long oil retains is viscosity-life of the oil, all I wanted to know was as to what is the oil change interval a few of the knowledgeable guys here maintain for the car, instead of telling how many kms the car is run per month.
Old 19th February 2006, 14:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC

@DRC, thank you for the suggestion. Do you think I'm a poser guy flushed with money and bought a car just for the heck of it???? No No No, I'm a motorhead, though I lean more towards biking. The car was purchased by my Dad, as we needed a family vehicle. We have 4 two wheelers, one for each member of the family, due to this the car useage is limited. When the car is taken out it is for the chruch or for a long drive, recently completed a trip of close to 900kms (to Maravante and back via Agumbe) Hence the car is still in pristine condition and will continue to be so. Since oil is of prime importance, I wanted your views.
Old 19th February 2006, 20:31   #10
BHPian

hi members any idea whats the price for mobile1 and shell helix
Old 20th February 2006, 11:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

since you dont use the car that often ..i suggest you change the oil every 5k kms ...i think hyundai says 7500kms for engine oil change ...
Old 20th February 2006, 16:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
since you dont use the car that often ..i suggest you change the oil every 5k kms ...i think hyundai says 7500kms for engine oil change ...
my old santro was taken careof my local hyundai dealer and we had its oil changed at evry 5k as per the dealers reco.

and, Akkiben wants to know which oil is better and not teh time period ( right Akki?)
Old 20th February 2006, 18:39   #13
BHPian

You're right Jk . Speedsatya told me what I wanted to hear.
Old 20th May 2006, 21:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

I remember F 50 saying that I can use Castrol Magnatex for my Santro. Is there any specs for it? 5w20 etc?

4L would do right? My third service has to be donw in two weeks time.
Old 22nd May 2006, 15:08   #15
BHPian

Just changed my oil to OWS 5W40 Synthetic for my swift. I could really feel the difference after 50 Km. You can P.M. nitrous for the availability and pricings as he was the one who got it for me from his friend.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks