Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 10:34   #61
BHPian

Re: Unnecessary OEM equipment in today's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- 60:40 splitting rear seat : I know people who use this feature, but honestly, I've never - till date in 15+ years of driving - needed to split only part of the rear seat.
In a hatchback I would say, it should be a must, big boon, even if it is not used regularly.

Rear armrest is a hindrance to the fifth passenger.

Speaking of all the unnecessary or required features, where are the made-to-order cars especially for seats?
Old 28th November 2011, 12:52   #62
Senior - BHPian

I am a little different!

I actually like the following features & dont consider them unnecessary, infact I would want them in my next car-

* auto wipers - it is just very convenient when the car does all the work for you
* reverse sensors - it is just a safety backup while reversing incase i miss something
* navigation - i mean why not? even in city, it can be quite useful when you are heading to an unknown place. saves the hassle of winding the windows down & asking a cab driver

what i dont want is -

* ICE - i prefer my own setup built to my taste
* leather seats - again made to order as per my taste
Old 28th November 2011, 13:10   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Exactly. This is what i wanted to convey. There was a reasonable difference in handling above 160 + kmph. This change was prominent without any change or tuning to the suspension.
If you want to see the kind of a wing that makes a difference at 160+ kph, refer to some Porsche 911 pictures. Again, your Baleno's rear spoiler has only one purpose = Looks. It's too small, and completely untested in a wind tunnel. BTW, Maruti had no wind tunnel around the time that they sold the Baleno. And it's hardly the car that they'd spend crores of rupees on, to develop downforce at 160+ kph.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 14:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

The most useless OEM feature in most modern cars - Start/Stop button. What next? Ctrl+Alt+Del to temporarily lock the car? Or maybe to put the car in 'sleep' mode?

One more feaure that I can (rather would love to) do without is the TPMS.

Even I used to think that parking sensors are mere gizmos, until I drove the Laura and the Superb. With cars with such such low rear visibility, a sensor is required.
What I could do without, is the auto dipping LORVM (Laura L&K, Superb etc). I know the distance between the kerb and the car. Rather I know how to judge. No need for the mirror to actually help me do that!
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 14:30   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you want to see the kind of a wing that makes a difference at 160+ kph, refer to some Porsche 911 pictures. Again, your Baleno's rear spoiler has only one purpose = Looks. It's too small, and completely untested in a wind tunnel. BTW, Maruti had no wind tunnel around the time that they sold the Baleno. And it's hardly the car that they'd spend crores of rupees on, to develop downforce at 160+ kph.

add to that the usual point at which these wings are mounted, ie the boot-lid/body panels.
If one of these cars hit 160+ and this wing actually started putting out some down-force, the boot-lid is going straight to the recycle bin!
Old 28th November 2011, 15:21   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Tacho... Its just that I didnt feel abt writing about this till I came across the below article.
Metrics That Matter–What's Your Company Currency?
Saw this article in another website too, ridiculing the usage of tachos, when he isn't aware what it is for.
I posted a comment on his ignorance and it was deleted immediately.
Old 28th November 2011, 15:22   #67
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey surprised to read that you find the rear arm rest not useful. Its such a blessing for passengers in the back seat. I think all cars should come with both a front and a rear arm rest.
it useful when only for two passenger configuration but when it three passengers its a pain.

Quote:
, very logical reasoning. I only conveyed difference what i felt before and after.
Old 28th November 2011, 15:32   #68
BHPian

I may sound radical here, but do we really need ABS in INDIA? Have not heard of anyone being life saved by so called ABS! I mean it makes sense in the icy/snowy, slippery road conditions (North/north east, hilly parts of south) but otherwise, in cities like Pune/Bangalore I don;t think it is really needed. Having said that, being a safety feature (again - so called), one may opt for it just for the heck of it.
Old 28th November 2011, 15:57   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I may sound radical here, but do we really need ABS in INDIA? Have not heard of anyone being life saved by so called ABS! I mean it makes sense in the icy/snowy, slippery road conditions (North/north east, hilly parts of south) but otherwise, in cities like Pune/Bangalore I don;t think it is really needed. Having said that, being a safety feature (again - so called), one may opt for it just for the heck of it.
Whoa! Whoa!

Dude, ABS is indeed a very useful feature; as much in India as anywhere else.

ABS isn't effective just on snow/ice; it kicks whenever there is reduced traction between the tyres and the road surface. It helps ensuring the tyres don't lock under braking. It ensures vehicle maneuverability under such circumstances.

And talking about India - don't we have enough loose gravel on our roads?!

There are enough recounts on the Streets and Experiences thread where members have been assisted by ABS during emergency braking.

ABS - not for the heck of it man, it is a prominent safety feature.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 17:35   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post

Well, since you asked - I'm fairly convinced my car (if not my life) was saved by ABS within a month of buying it - that too on a busy Hyderabad road.

Basically the road was slippery (water or oil - I don't know which) and there was a downward slope too, I was driving at a moderate speed when a red swift came out of a side road and hit the divider right in front of me.

I applied the brakes as hard as I could and felt the ABS in action - could swerve out just enough to miss the swift by inches.
Old 28th November 2011, 17:36   #71
BHPian

Different people have different perspective.

For some start stop button is not useful. Ask a lady who is used to the key-less-go. For her it might be the best feature of the car. Instead of hunting for the key in a packed hand bag, she can just approach the car, unlock it with a mere press of button on the door handle, sit inside and start the car, again with press of a button. My friend who drives a Nissan Altima just loves this feature in her car.

My car also have this feature and I count it as a big advantage. I don't have to take the key out from my pocket to use my car. + Less chances of damaging your key or losing it as it stays in the bag or in the pocket all the time.

Electrically adjusted OVRM is definitely an advantage. One can easily adjust both the mirrors sitting in the driver seat. Some even tilt slightly down when you engage reverse gear! I find the internal adjusted mirrors a joke, especially on the passenger side, unless a person has really long hands.

Driver side vanity mirrors - for ladies, its a big boon. For guys, it might not be as good, but useful at times.

Headlight leveling systems - Big plus for people who prefer to drive with their low beams. According to my experience, the low beam cut-off must be well below the waist-line of a sedan car in front. I do adjust it based on the load in the car.

TPMS - A very good safety feature. Its better to know if your tyre is leaking air than getting stuck at some unknown place or worst having a burst tyre. Fixing a puncture is cheaper than buying a tire.

Seat belt warning - Good for the souls who do not want to wear one. The beep will force them to.

Factory fitted ICE - sub standard head units and speakers are a big no. I would prefer not having a cheapo ICE in my car. Some manufacturers do offer good ICE for a premium. I am love the 9-way RF which came as OE in my Mitsu.

Split folding seats - have saved me lot of money in transporting.

All the safety features including Seat belts, ABS, Airbags, ESP & ASR are not unnecessary features. They protect you, sometimes without you even knowing.

Sun roof / Moon roof - Not necessary but good to have. I do like it.

Auto head lamps - Good for people who forget to switch lights on even in night. I see at-least one every day.

LED lamps (Front and rear) - Again safety. Visibility factors for LED DRL are much higher, especially in twilight or low light conditions. For tail lamps, the response time for LED lights are much faster than a conventional bulb. Some of them have increased intensity or flashing feature incorporated while hard/panic braking. It looks good on a car and draws less current.

Some features are good to have, for some they are essential & for some it might not be. It's all a personal choice.

Last edited by jaguar.runs : 28th November 2011 at 17:46.
jaguar.runs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 19:52   #72
Senior - BHPian

Heater - I dont think I need it. Since the winters here is comfortable and by no means cool. But definitely you cant manufacture a car without one.

Electric Mirror - I dont need electronically adjustable mirror. I never ever change the setting I once made. However auto dimming ORVM would be great.

Cigerrate Lighter or Ash tray - I dont smoke and I dont want other too as well.

Steering mounted audio control - I want the steering neat & clean. No interference whatsoever.

ICE - I want my own

Cup holders
Electric seats
Seat back pockets
Body coloured handles & Mirrors
Old 28th November 2011, 20:19   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
Different people have different perspective.

Some features are good to have, for some they are essential & for some it might not be. It's all a personal choice.
Extremely well explained.
When you spend money, creature comforts like these only add to convenience. Its just a matter of personal preference where some features are EXTREMELY useful (Safety packs,remote locking etc) and others just compliment the package (auto headlamp,rain sensing wiper,sun roof etc).

One of my friend's father thinks Power windows are unnecessary OEM equipment. He has got his points to justify it as well
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 22:49   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
(Lack of rear power windows are annoying)
Comments from co-passengers are annoying.

Quote:
Dont care for -
- Electric ORVM. (Internally adjustable manual would have done just fine)
Try adjusting your left ORVM while parking or how easy it is to change positions between highway driving & inside city commuting while on the go.

Quote:
- Parking sensors. Never used them even in the 7 series long-wheel-base version (the longest sedan I've driven). I park the old fashioned way
How easy/hard it is to park in tight congested places? The width isn't a problem, but to gauge the length might prove to be cumbersome.
I haven't lived in a sedan (have driven few) but used to think that a screen or an accurate sensor is a must have. The one on the Scorpio is useless, same goes for a few after market ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I prefer not to have these-
[*]Reversing camera(except for SUVs like Endeavour/Safari)

I never loved the sensors before i bought Laura. But with a car with Poor visibility like the Laura, they are must haves. I do not trust the sensors on Scorpio and Fortuner, they don't have adequate detection range.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 23:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Dude, ABS is indeed a very useful feature; as much in India as anywhere else.
And talking about India - don't we have enough loose gravel on our roads?!
Hi,
Bad choice of example.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks