Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: How often should we change gear oil?

Recently changed my swift vdi's gear box oil to a less but a reputed brand called schaeffer.The company claims no need to change the oil for the entire lifetime of the gearbox,unless you open it for some reason.
Heres the link of the company website-
Schaeffer Oil | Synthetic Motor Oils, Engine Oils, Diesel Fuel Additives, Industrial Lubricants Manufacturer
Old 2nd January 2012, 19:20   #32
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
How is that relevant?

Stop and go traffic will have adverse affect on the clutch primarily but has NO adverse affect on gear box. As a matter of fact, the moment the engine is started and clutch is not depressed, the main shaft is running. Its just not transferring power to the output shaft.
My car has auto transmission. Even in stop and go traffic, D or S is engaged always. Should have mentioned that.
Old 7th January 2012, 20:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Is transaxle fluid same as gear box oil ?

When should it be replaced ?

Rohan
Old 7th January 2012, 21:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

My take.

Unlike engine oil, the gear box oil is there just for lubrication. It does not collect burnt residues, nor accumulates acids resulting from fuel burning. So it is fairly stable.

With time dirt, water vapour and chipped metal particles may accumulate in the oil, hence it requires a change after some duration to maintain its integrity. Gear oil is of much higher viscosity - 140 or more compared to the 40-50 of engine oils. May be the kilometers are there to ensure that the accumulated metal chips are flushed out at oil change, else there is no reason except age related material incursions to change the oil. So as a rule of thumb, change oil every 2-3 years, or as per the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 07:23   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I always prefer following the maintenance schedule. Best results this way for a longer lasting engine, gearbox and mechanical fiddly bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
So as a rule of thumb, change oil every 2-3 years, or as per the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.
Old 8th January 2012, 21:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, most gearboxes take in only GL-4 grade gear oils for which the highest viscosity available is 90.

The gear oils of higher viscosity are typically of GL-5 specification & mostly used in trans-axles & not gearboxes.

Also, the kind of additive package that's used in a gear oil is much different from that of an engine oil, such that if gear oil is put into an engine, it wouldn't last as much. Do the opposite & you risk screwing the gearbox since the engine oils are not too good in sustaining shearing forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Gear oil is of much higher viscosity - 140 or more compared to the 40-50 of engine oils.
Old 8th January 2012, 23:33   #37
BHPian

People, I really need help to decide the best engine oil for my Wagon R. it has the K10 engine and the local MASS has only SERVO from Indianoil. Now I am not saying that SERVO is bad but surely there are better oils. What about Castrol? What variant is needed in this type of engine? Can the gurus shed some light here??
Old 9th January 2012, 11:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTabdul View Post
People, I really need help to decide the best engine oil for my Wagon R. it has the K10 engine and the local MASS has only SERVO from Indianoil. Now I am not saying that SERVO is bad but surely there are better oils. What about Castrol? What variant is needed in this type of engine? Can the gurus shed some light here??
Inspite of all the hype about superior quality of Private Sector oils, Public Sector oils are at par with best. You may get better oils but their superior characteristics may not be required for the K10 engine. The only parameter which may be of any use is wider viscosity range, that is 5W-50 instead of 10W-40, as that will ensure easier starting of the engine in sub zero temperatures.

In Delhi, MUL service centres use bulk drums of Servo with MUL certification for K10 engines. Of course you are free to use any compatible oil instead.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 11:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

@abdul: I feel that Castrol is over-rated & over-priced. And for a slightly lower price, you can get equally good (if not better) engine oils from other companies like Mobil & Gulf.

If I am correct, your car engine would need a viscosity of xW30. If so, you can easily go in for semi-synthetics available in the market since they are mostly 10W40. In case of a mineral oil, I am not sure if you can even get a grade 30 oil & the best you would get is a 20W40 or 15W40. Check your manual if you can use these.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 9th January 2012 at 11:57.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 23:14   #40
BHPian

Thanx Aroy & Blackfire 9. The service center here is serving SERVO 20W40. Under these circumstances what would you recommend? There are two MASS and one *** in my town. I think i might be able to persuade the one *** to use a oil of my choice. Also MOBIL and GULF are not so readily available here.
Old 12th January 2012, 19:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTabdul View Post
Thanx Aroy & Blackfire 9. The service center here is serving SERVO 20W40. Under these circumstances what would you recommend? There are two MASS and one *** in my town. I think i might be able to persuade the one *** to use a oil of my choice. Also MOBIL and GULF are not so readily available here.
20W40 is perfectly fine, as long as you do not go in snow! Even then all you will needis a good battery to start early in the morning!
Old 12th January 2012, 19:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Guys, who have got gear oil changed in Civic, what is the cost ?
Old 16th January 2012, 16:36   #43
BHPian

Got gear oil changed for my Wagon R today from MASS
MGGO(75W90) - Shell @ Rs.762.43
Labour Charged - 280 (Includes the labour for changing the axle seal as well)
Total Rs.1,172/- Inclusive of Tax
Old 16th January 2012, 17:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

I would believe that this price was for 3 liters of gear oil, or was it not?

Also, which workshop in Delhi do you usually take your car to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Got gear oil changed for my Wagon R today from MASS
MGGO(75W90) - Shell @ Rs.762.43
Labour Charged - 280 (Includes the labour for changing the axle seal as well)
Total Rs.1,172/- Inclusive of Tax
Old 16th January 2012, 19:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I would believe that this price was for 3 liters of gear oil, or was it not?

Also, which workshop in Delhi do you usually take your car to?
2.5 Litres. I am in Gurgaon,generally take it to Apra Auto. Pretty satisfied.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks