Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2007, 12:53   #91
BHPian

Well i have always used hand brakes while parking only unless i get a car good enough to do the drifting (ref:-2 fast 2 furious-tokyo drift) oh good skill will not harm also .

had a funny incident when i was visiting a relative in hospital, parked the car on a slop,forgot to pull the hand brake and rushed in the hospital.

suddenly there was big noise on the road, the whole traffic had come to stand still.

I told my relative that people dont have manners any more, they dont even realise that it is bad to honk near hospitals.

the noise continued so i went to check . well i was embarrassed and astonished at the same time as my car had rolled down from slop and was right in the middle of the road blocking all the traffic.

went ahead without making any eye contact with the angry mob, parked the car oh and pulled the hand brake
Old 10th September 2007, 13:15   #92
Senior - BHPian

msharma_79, thanks for sharing this episode with such honesty.
Takes a wee bit of guts to do it. I loved the bit about not making eye contact!
Old 10th September 2007, 13:31   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post

had a funny incident when i was visiting a relative in hospital, parked the car on a slop,forgot to pull the hand brake and rushed in the hospital.

suddenly there was big noise on the road, the whole traffic had come to stand still.

I told my relative that people dont have manners any more, they dont even realise that it is bad to honk near hospitals.

the noise continued so i went to check . well i was embarrassed and astonished at the same time as my car had rolled down from slop and was right in the middle of the road blocking all the traffic.

went ahead without making any eye contact with the angry mob, parked the car oh and pulled the hand brake
That was excruciatingly honest. No wonder you're such an advocate against road rage
Old 10th September 2007, 13:44   #94
Senior - BHPian

I use the e-brake everytime the car is parked and sometimes at a long wait in traffic too. I use the ebrake for handbrake turns when there is no one around.
Old 10th September 2007, 13:48   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I use the ebrake for handbrake turns when there is no one around.
Wow n_aditya, what an adrenaline rush!! Thanks for the honesty.
Old 10th September 2007, 13:53   #96

I always use hand brakes while parking. If on a slope then i put it in second gear and leave it.

Avoid using your hand brakes for braking your car in motion. Rather cut your gears down and brake with the engine even if its a emergency. Controlling the car on a HB slide requires skill and can makes things go from bad to worse in tight situations.

If you are driving in rain, keep your hands of them until your car is at 0 Kmph.

More important than that is releasing your hand brakes when you start your car. It will damage your car and guzzle your fuel up.
Old 10th September 2007, 14:01   #97
BHPian

Always us them when
1. Parking the car, my hand goes to HB before I switch off the ignition. I never leave the car on gear because I depress the clutch when starting the car and remove it immediately after forgetting the car is engaged in the gear. So a couple of times after starting the car I stall the car beacuse I forget that I have engaged the gear.
2. At traffic lights when the timer shows more than 60 Seconds.

I never use them when stopping at slopes (very usual in Kerala where the busstops are on a slope and the road is not wide enough to overtake when there are vehicles coming in the opposite direction) or needing to reverse up a slope.
Old 10th September 2007, 14:09   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
That was excruciatingly honest. No wonder you're such an advocate against road rage
hehehehe that could be one of the reasons.
Old 10th September 2007, 16:23   #99
BHPian

isnt it bad for the brakes if you leave the handbrake on when the brakes are hot?
usually at track days the instructors tell the participants to not use the handbrake after doing a couple of hot laps.
Old 10th September 2007, 16:40   #100
Team-BHP Support

once i was driving with my friend in his camry auto (old). it has a foot brake. when we were on the road we would hear this noise and feel the rear vibrating alot. so we stopped and checked whether we had a puncture. none. we then continued slowly to a petrol pump where we checked the pressure. the rear tyre pressure was low so we filled it. thought the problem was over. but no, it hadnt stopped. then my friend stopped the car and it was in 'd' but the car wasnt moving in front. normally in 'd' even with the foot off the accel the car will move in front slowly. i realised this looked at the instrument cluster where i saw the handbrake light on.. after that we laughed for 10 minutes and sped off.
Old 11th September 2007, 16:15   #101
BANNED

Quote:
msharma_79 : Is your car on the Neutral to roll down ?

Last edited by mithun : 11th September 2007 at 16:17.
Old 11th September 2007, 16:53   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
msharma_79 : Is your car on the Neutral to roll down ?
yes it was..Well it was not concrete slop so it stayed on till the time i got out and rest is mentioned above. i am thankful to God that nobody was hurt.

Last edited by msharma_79 : 11th September 2007 at 16:55.
Old 11th September 2007, 23:06   #103
BHPian

Tell me, if a car, parked with hand brake on and in gear, is towed away by traffic cops, what possible damage it can sustain? When that possibility is there, what kind of parking is advised?
Old 12th September 2007, 03:11   #104
BHPian

well i use HB all the time when the car is parked. and pull the gear to 3. i guess the best shift would be gear-3 or gear-4 while parked. because, if the gear is shifted to 1, and if the car moves then at great it can gain enough momentum which might start the engine. so at gear3, the car will never enough momentum to start the engine. so i prefer gear 3 when parked with HB pulled on.

yes i also use it while parking my car in the parking place in my house. the parking place is slightly elevated from the road. so while taking it in, if i use cluch, it rolls back. so pul the HB on. release the cluch to almost half and puch the throttle a lil and then release the HB and the car moves in easily from the elevated slop. this helps me in not letting the car roll back while parking.

if i practice on this a lil more. i can be finally a drifter. a good drifter know how to use the HB efficently....
Old 12th September 2007, 03:15   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarian View Post
Tell me, if a car, parked with hand brake on and in gear, is towed away by traffic cops, what possible damage it can sustain? When that possibility is there, what kind of parking is advised?
i guess when towed, the wheels will still roll. but the break pads will continuesly be rubbing to the drum which will reduce the effciency of HB.
in that case you still can use HBs. pull it it just to half. and when towed, gear wil not come to piture at all as the front wil be hanged, so the engine is not engaged.. so nothing to worry abt the gears..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks