Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 21:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wheel nut rounded off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Did you try araldite method?
Araldite definitely won't take that much load.
Old 6th June 2012, 01:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Great the nut finally came off....
You might want to try giving the alloy to a good paintshop. A little sanding, filler and paint will make the alloy usable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Araldite definitely won't take that much load.
Adalrite does not take shearing loads too well, however it take compressive loads amazingly well.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 02:02   #48
BHPian

Congrats about the nut cut !
however On a few occasion araldite worked for me, however it was not a car wheel nut, mostly araldite doesn't work for people as due to its long time to get 100% dried up which needs atleast 18+ hours.

Anyway, you should certainly change the studs and nuts if you feel the problem might come back.
Old 8th June 2012, 21:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^Hey, that's almost how one of my alloys too look after I had to resort to gas-welding to cut off a stud around which the nut was rotating without coming off !!!
Been lazy to post pics of the same.
Tell me about being lazy. This action item was pending for a long time. If i personally knew the members who posted on this thread, i would have received customized messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
It'd be better to get a new single alloy from GM instead of trying to get the damaged one painted and hitting color matching woes!

Use the current one as a spare!

Btw great that the nut finally came off!

Did you try araldite method?
No, didn't try any method at all. The plan was to use the spare alloy in case this is too much damaged visibly & that's what i did.

Still, it would be good to know info about the price of OEM alloy and whether the dealer can give a single alloy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Great the nut finally came off....
You might want to try giving the alloy to a good paintshop. A little sanding, filler and paint will make the alloy usable.
Wouldn't the newly painted alloy differ in color from the existing ones? slight differ maybe?
OR are you suggesting painting all the alloys? The cost, i have inquired is above 15k from a local tinkering shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Congrats about the nut cut !
however On a few occasion araldite worked for me, however it was not a car wheel nut, mostly araldite doesn't work for people as due to its long time to get 100% dried up which needs atleast 18+ hours.

Anyway, you should certainly change the studs and nuts if you feel the problem might come back.
Thanks.
The bolt had to be replaced so i bought an OEM bolt and nut, went to a local mechanic and got it replaced. Below are the pics of bolt replacement;

Wheel nut rounded off!-img2012053000470.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-img2012053000471.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-img2012053000472.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-img2012053000473.jpg
Old 8th June 2012, 23:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post

Wouldn't the newly painted alloy differ in color from the existing ones? slight differ maybe?
Get the current alloy color matched with a computerized machine. Paint shops do this all the time while painting cars, specially ones that are slightly old (faded colour).

A good shop should do one alloy for close to Rs. 1500 to 2000 max.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 21:40   #51
BHPian

Bumping up this thread, i'm in a similar catch 22 situation. One of the Lug nuts of my Spark is Stuck. Only difference is that its not rounded off. Have the GM OEM alloys on my car. Makes me wonder why these GM cars have this issue? anyways, been driving with a Slow puncture for 2 weeks now. Went to the mechanic who suggested to Use the welding method. But I'm scared to go ahead with that. Any tips?

One of the nuts is stuck to the extend that it would break if forced out. Should i apply WD 40 for a day and check that it comes off?
Saw a video on youtube to remove the nut using the chisel method. should i go for that?

Thanks

Last edited by sudipt123 : 24th November 2015 at 21:52. Reason: update
Old 24th November 2015, 21:58   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
One of the nuts is stuck to the extend that it would break if forced out. Should i apply WD 40 for a day and check that it comes off?
Saw a video on Youtube to remove the nut using the chisel method. should i go for that?

Thanks
Have you tried using WD40 and trying after couple of hours? If yes, why not take it to dealer, they will know what to do if its a common issue.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 22:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
Bumping up this thread, i'm in a similar catch 22 situation. One of the Lug nuts of my Spark is Stuck. Only difference is that its not rounded off. Have the GM OEM alloys on my car. Makes me wonder why these GM cars have this issue? anyways, been driving with a Slow puncture for 2 weeks now. Went to the mechanic who suggested to Use the welding method. But I'm scared to go ahead with that. Any tips?

Saw a video on Youtube to remove the nut using the chisel method. should i go for that?

Thanks
I have used welding method once. you have mentioned that nut is not rounded off. Then whats the damage. If you are using welding method, Disconnect battery terminals or else you fry the ECU.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 22:56   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
I have used welding method once. you have mentioned that nut is not rounded off. Then whats the damage. If you are using welding method, Disconnect battery terminals or else you fry the ECU.
Downside with the welding method is that it would spoil the alloy wheel. Also about a year back a similar incident had happened on the same wheel! and the same nut! would you believe it?they had broken the lug nut and they replaced the alloy lug nut with the regular one. Also they had to remove the hub during the process. It takes a toll on the wheel bearing - which has been changed once.

Would try using WD40 and check and report back here
Old 24th November 2015, 23:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you tried using WD40 and trying after couple of hours? If yes, why not take it to dealer, they will know what to do if its a common issue.
Would try with WD40, had spoken to the dealership who had broken the same nut about more than a year back. he said - you have to break the nut to get it sorted, and that the wheel bearing might get damaged- which i already had to change once.
sudipt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 21:44   #56
BHPian

Wheel nut removed by welding a bolt to the offending nutand using a spanner to remove the bolt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks