Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice for simple oil change when car is out of warranty/old?
Service at a A.S.S. 60 23.90%
Service at independent garage 37 14.74%
PIY: Purchase it (oil+filter) Yourself + Trusted Garage for labour 132 52.59%
Full DIY: Purchasing & changing oil yourself 42 16.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2022, 10:20   #91
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY

I voted for the first three options. Perhaps I should have voted all 4 because I use all the options.

I take my 10 year old Cooper to a good FNG for all maintenance, servicing and repair work. I procure all parts and consumables usually.
My 8 year old Gypsy, because it is an untouched, bone stock civilian vehicle, I take to the Authorised Maruti Workshop for all maintenance and servicing. I buy parts and consumables from the authorised garage if they have them in stock and if not, I get them from the authorised spare parts dealer(s) whom I know.
My Thar which is just about a year and a half old now, I take only to Mahindra Service and they provide all the parts and consumables which they show me before, during and after the process.

Some times I do a bit of DIY but always at an FNG premises for reasons stated later in the post. Its very easy to remove the drain plugs and let the oil out into a pan and change the oil with the best available one in the recommended grade. Its also a bit fiddly but still easy even to drain and change AT Transmission fluid (which also Ive experienced). Coolant changes arent difficult either but rarely needed. And generally handle other DIYs like spark plug or ignition coil removal, cleaning, replacement etc. Changing hoses and all is fine too. Brake pads and Brake fluid etc can be a bit more involved so I wouldn't do those myself.

While I consider myself reasonably competent, the things that keep me away from doing some of these jobs myself are;
1. I cannot dispose of all these fluids in a safe and recommended environmentally friendly manner. In India, Garages usually have good relationships with agencies or individuals who come and buy all these fluids and scrap and re-use them. The oils and all are used for machinery and gensets. The metal and rubber and plastic parts get sold for scrap and recycled. The old tyres may adorn some other car mostly after a highway tyre tear.
2. I like sitting in the garage with competent mechanics and observing, discussing, getting my hands dirty under their supervision and thus learning more about how they attend to the work on my cars.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th October 2022 at 10:23.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 23:26   #92
BHPian

Sourced Mann air, cabin and oil filters for my Skoda Rapid and Honda Jazz from Pitzo. Very reasonable pricing and good customer support. Costs almost half of OEM filters and very good German quality too.
Old 15th February 2024, 20:50   #93
BHPian

Thought of stocking Mann filters (air, oil and cabin) for my Skoda Rapid and Honda Jazz. Ordered them from Pitzo. Got it at a very reasonable rate. Customer support was exceptional. Ms.Garima from Pitzo went out of her way to support with the delivery of the products. They deal a variety of brands and I will definitely recommend them. Please keep up the good work.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY-20240214_185517.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks