Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2012, 17:48   #1
BHPian

Maruti Circular on Swift Engine Oil : Change from 15W40 to 5W40

As we know this is a very frequently discussed topic. Yesterday I was having a discussion with my friend who owns a 2012 Swift ZDi. He said, he changed the engine to synthetic oil as per service engineers recommendation. I told him that it is not necessary to change it to synthetic. Then he told me about a circular which Maruti service center received from Maruti. I argued with him that it is just a sales tactic of service engineer. But today he sent me the circular as PDF and I was shocked to see the details mentioned. MSL is enforcing the service centers to change from 15W40 grade to 5W40. 5W40 is the one which is used in cars like POLO, which will incur a cost of Rs.4400 for 4ltrs. This will drastically increase maintenance cost of swift diesel, otherwise known for its low running cost. Moreover the circular says that service interval is 10,000 kms unlike other cars using the same grade having 15000kms.

Please find the content of the circular and PDF attached below,

MODIFICATION IN PERIODICITY AND GRADE: 1ST replacement of engine oil
Engine oil grade used earlier in New Swift-D(AZI-413D) was 15W40 which has now been
changed to 5W40 starting from chassis no MA3FHEB1S00179480
Engine oil change which was part of 1st free service at 1,000 kms is not required for
New Swift-D(AZI-413D) vehicles starting from chassis no MA3FHEB1S00179480
If, few New Swift-D vehicles before the above mentioned cutoff VIN No report to workshop
for first free service, replacement of Engine oil should be done at 1000kms(1st free service).

Circular PDF: Maruti Swift Engine Oil Change Circular[1].pdf
rahulrajeev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 18:32   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti Circular on Swift Engine Oil : Change from 15W40 to 5W40

This circular has been discussed earlier on the Swift test drive thread. While Mobil1, Mobil delvac1 would cost upward of Rs 4000, there could be semi synthetics that could be cheaper. Maruti service masters quoted Rs 2200 odd for the new Swifts oil change when I checked with them. You may wish to post this in the diesel engine oil thread for more responses
Old 18th July 2012, 19:34   #3
BANNED

Thanks for the information Rajeev!

Can the old Swift DDiS owner shift to this specific grade of oil or is it required only for the new Diesel engine after the given Chassis number?

Just a suggestion. Please post the same in the "Engine Oils Thread".

It would be easy and helpful for all. Thanks.
Old 18th July 2012, 20:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulrajeev View Post
As we know this is a very frequently discussed topic. Yesterday I was having a discussion with my friend who owns a 2012 Swift ZDi. He said, he changed the engine to synthetic oil as per service engineers recommendation. I told him that it is not necessary to change it to synthetic. Then he told me about a circular which Maruti service center received from Maruti. I argued with him that it is just a sales tactic of service engineer. But today he sent me the circular as PDF and I was shocked to see the details mentioned. MSL is enforcing the service centers to change from 15W40 grade to 5W40. 5W40 is the one which is used in cars like POLO, which will incur a cost of Rs.4400 for 4ltrs. This will drastically increase maintenance cost of swift diesel, otherwise known for its low running cost. Moreover the circular says that service interval is 10,000 kms unlike other cars using the same grade having 15000kms.
Always keep in mind that you need to comply with the mfrs recommendation when the car is under warranty.

Your pal needs to comply with MSIL's warranty terms and conditions - services/inspections, oil and filter changes at the recommended intervals with an oil of recommended grades are among the T&C. Please recheck the warranty booklet to ascertain what needs to be done to maintain the warranty coverage.

Most car manufacturers are now shifting to synthetics, even some VW and Skoda diesel and petrol cars use synthetic - mainly Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.
Old 18th July 2012, 21:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Circular on Swift Engine Oil : Change from 15W40 to 5W40

5W50 is used when the vehicle operates in extreme cold weather conditions , unless the vehicle is not seeing extreme cold conditions , I don't understand why do we need to use 5W40 here .Money making business.
Old 19th July 2012, 07:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

If the VIN is before 179480, one can opt for synthetic or mineral as the car came from the factory with mineral oil. For all cars after 179480, I guess there is no other option but to comply with the TSB.

More details here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2692064
Old 19th July 2012, 09:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Always keep in mind that you need to comply with the mfrs recommendation when the car is under warranty.

Most car manufacturers are now shifting to synthetics, even some VW and Skoda diesel and petrol cars use synthetic - mainly Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.
All VW & Skoda cars use synthetic oil only including Polo/Fabia both Petrol & Diesel
Old 19th July 2012, 11:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
5W50 is used when the vehicle operates in extreme cold weather conditions , unless the vehicle is not seeing extreme cold conditions , I don't understand why do we need to use 5W40 here .Money making business.
Synthetics of 5w-30/10w-30/0w-40/5w-40 grade can be used in wide temperature extremes, not just cold weather but heat as well. Other than that a synthetic provides far superior lubrication & detergency compared with mineral.

Some synthetics also have a longer drain interval. It comes across like a money making game on the surface - and it probably is - but once a technical bulletin is issued (there's a good reason for one) there's no choice but to comply for both the ASC & a new car owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
All VW & Skoda cars use synthetic oil only including Polo/Fabia both Petrol & Diesel
Thanks for the confirmation. I was not very sure if they all do.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 12:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Synthetics of 5w-30/10w-30/0w-40/5w-40 grade can be used in wide temperature extremes, not just cold weather but heat as well. Other than that a synthetic provides far superior lubrication & detergency compared with mineral.
I understand , but i was referring to 5W part , there is no need for that for our INDIAN weather , 20W is just fine . you can even have 20W50 even in synthetic/semi itself .
Old 19th July 2012, 13:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I understand , but i was referring to 5W part , there is no need for that for our INDIAN weather , 20W is just fine . you can even have 20W50 even in synthetic/semi itself .
You don't get 20w-50 synthetic here in India while that is available in the US mainly in brands like Mobil1, Royal Purple, Amsoil among others. Thicker oils are recommended for older engines and race car engines.

Very few manufacturers recommend 20W-50 oil nowadays, or any xW-50 oil for that matter, for their modern engines as lighter oil helps the engine start easier, especially in cold weather, and cuts down on viscous drag.

I am sure you are aware that are some areas of North India that can get cold in the winter - examples are Northern plains of Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and the mountainous regions of India. In fact Honda and Toyota India have started using 0w-30 (synthetic) and 10w-30 (Mineral) as OEM oil in their engines respectively across all regions. Toyota offers a 5w-40 synthetic as an option.

You have probably read this thread on synthetic and mineral oils:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...neral-oil.html

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th July 2012 at 13:28.
Old 19th July 2012, 14:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You don't get 20w-50 synthetic here in India while that is available in the US mainly in brands like Mobil1, Royal Purple, Amsoil among others. Thicker oils are recommended for older engines and race car engines.

I am sure you are aware that are some areas of North India that can get cold in the winter - examples are Northern plains of Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and the mountainous regions of India.
Isnt it strange that 20w50 SHOULD have been more easily available than 5w50 here ? .If its available else where , why not here ? nexus not to get them here and force us to use high priced oils ?

Whatever, it will not go below 0 C . 5W has pouring point at -35 C below zero , show me where you have -35 c in INDIA ?

Over and out .
Old 19th July 2012, 17:40   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Isnt it strange that 20w50 SHOULD have been more easily available than 5w50 here ? .If its available else where , why not here ? nexus not to get them here and force us to use high priced oils ?
There's nothing that forces you to use mfr recommended oils - unless of course car is under warranty. You can use 20w-50 synthetic or mineral -your choice once the warranty is over.

Car and engine manufacturers know what lube spec suits their engines better better than you and me.

So in the context of this particular thread - there's nothing the owner can do except follow what MSIL has specified in the TSB.

Quote:
Whatever, it will not go below 0 C . 5W has pouring point at -35 C below zero , show me where you have -35 c in INDIA ?.
There are places in Kashmir that go down to less than -20 C. Believe me that's very cold, cold enought to hurt your hand should it be exposed. I've experienced that kind of cold in person. At that temp, getting the vehicle, especially a diesel, to start is a bigger problem - and heavier oils add to the load on the battery and starter.

Quote:
Over and out
Cheers mate!!
Old 19th July 2012, 18:05   #13
Team-BHP Support

We have discussed this change in the past and thankfully my car isn't supposed to use synthetic oil. They issued this note for cars manufactured in 2012. The only reason could be that Maruti has started sourcing engines from Fiat and they recommend synthetic oil for their engines.

post discussion.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 18:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The only reason could be that Maruti has started sourcing engines from Fiat and they recommend synthetic oil for their engines.
IIRC Maruti have been using the Fiat 1.3L diesel (affectionately called the 'National engine' due to its ubiquitousness) for quite a few years now. Are you sure your car engine is not a Fiat engine?

I think they may have made modifications to the engine or its state of tune in 2012 that necessitated the shift to synthetic.

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th July 2012 at 18:26. Reason: Typo
Old 19th July 2012, 18:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Although Maruti has been using the Fiat engine for many years now, this TSB is probably a reflection of a change in the terms of agreement between the two auto majors.

I recall that Maruti had recently signed on a deal with Fiat for an additional 1 lac MJD engines & so, this move might as well be a way to ensure a lower level of risk in terms of warranty issues. And as far as I know, Fiat already uses the 5W40 grade oils in the Punto & Linea employing the same 1.3L MJD.

Quote:
IIRC Maruti have been using the Fiat 1.3L diesel (affectionately called the 'National engine' due to its ubiquitousness) for quite a few years now. Are you sure your car engine is not a Fiat engine?

I think they may have made modifications to the engine or its state of tune in 2012 that necessitated the shift to synthetic.

Most Viewed