Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2017, 22:39   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
Has the engine oil level dropped a lot? Otherwise a little bit of topping up of engine oil is sometimes fine as per many car manufacturer but mixing of two oil may not be a good idea. What is the recommended engine oil as per the service manual? If your car is been filled with 5w30 semi-synth from the beginning then you can either top up or completely replace the current oil with the same grade and spec. As for changing over to fully synthetic oil, experts recommend not to do it for high mileage engines.

Nope hasn't dropped a lot, say around 500ml?!
Engine is not relatively high mileage, around 37000kms in the 8 years! Ridiculous I know, but it wasn't driven much earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Do you mean to say the head gasket is gone and oil is leaking?! If that is the case then just an oil change wont do; have a mech check it out as with a blown gasket, coolant may mix with oil with disastrous results. What does the coolant level look like?

Coming back to the oil question, is it a K series engine? If yes then 5w 30 is the recommended grade and I have always used shell helix 5w 30 which is so called semi synth. If not K series just pick any oil of the grade recommended by the manual. Unless you are doing 10k plus in less than a year then IMO, synthetic is overkill. Use mineral and drain before 10k/12 months.

Nope, not a K Series engine. Around 10k kms is usually what the year looks like nothing more than that usually. Coolant level is steady, checked that too. Hasn't decreased as such.
Was considering synthetic for a smoother, more rev-friendly engine as many have said that it's the results it produces.
Old 13th February 2017, 13:45   #92
BHPian

Re: Maruti Circular on Swift Engine Oil : Change from 15W40 to 5W40

Quote:
Do you mean to say the head gasket is gone and oil is leaking?! If that is the case then just an oil change wont do; have a mech check it out as with a blown gasket, coolant may mix with oil with disastrous results. What does the coolant level look like?
Coming back to the oil question, is it a K series engine? If yes then 5w 30 is the recommended grade and I have always used shell helix 5w 30 which is so called semi synth. If not K series just pick any oil of the grade recommended by the manual. Unless you are doing 10k plus in less than a year then IMO, synthetic is overkill. Use mineral and drain before 10k/12 months.
Are you sure about 10K/12 month for mineral ?

That range actually falls into the category of Fully Synthetic grades. As far as what I remember, 5K is for mineral, 7K for SS and 10K for FS.

Unless oil grade quality has improved significantly in India.
Old 13th February 2017, 13:58   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Are you sure about 10K/12 month for mineral ?

That range actually falls into the category of Fully Synthetic grades. As far as what I remember, 5K is for mineral, 7K for SS and 10K for FS.

Unless oil grade quality has improved significantly in India.
I have always been using shell helix 5w30 which is a MGO 'premium' oil or a so called semi synthetic. It costs about 1100 for a 2.9 l bottle so it definitely is not synthetic. I buy it and the service centre to fill it. Truth be told that my oil changes have all happened before the 8k mark barring once. This engine has never run rough at the fag end of a change interval and I think it has been good enough for a 10k interval.
Honestly, I am not sure what the difference is between mineral and semi synth as the price difference isn't much. The manual for K series specifies 5w30 and an interval of 10k while remaining silent on synth, semi, mineral etc etc
Old 14th February 2017, 10:28   #94
BHPian

Quote:
I have always been using shell helix 5w30 which is a MGO 'premium' oil or a so called semi synthetic. It costs about 1100 for a 2.9 l bottle so it definitely is not synthetic. I buy it and the service centre to fill it. Truth be told that my oil changes have all happened before the 8k mark barring once. This engine has never run rough at the fag end of a change interval and I think it has been good enough for a 10k interval.
Honestly, I am not sure what the difference is between mineral and semi synth as the price difference isn't much. The manual for K series specifies 5w30 and an interval of 10k while remaining silent on synth, semi, mineral etc etc
Thats so nice of your A.S.S folks. Here in Hyd, they refuse to touch anything bought from outside. They will refuse to entertain anything that is non-Maruti dealer approved or bought from outside the premises.

I for a strange reason (read that for not voiding my warranty), allow them to pour the mineral (mostly Mobil) and run it for 1000-2000 and then drain it in FNG and fill up with Shell Helix Ultra. Drain interval will be 7K.

But how come your A.S.S is allowing you to run 10K with same oil ? They never allow us here to do it and insist on changing else threatened with warranty void.
Old 14th February 2017, 22:11   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Thats so nice of your A.S.S folks. Here in Hyd, they refuse to touch anything bought from outside. They will refuse to entertain anything that is non-Maruti dealer approved or bought from outside the premises.
I give them Shell Helix which is MGO (Maruti Genuine oil) so its manufacturer approved, you are right that they may still refuse to accept it.

Quote:
But how come your A.S.S is allowing you to run 10K with same oil ? They never allow us here to do it and insist on changing else threatened with warranty void.
As per the manual, drain interval is 10k on the prescribed grade i.e. 5W 30 for K series petrol engine. As long as that condition is satisfied there is precious little MASS can do. However, as I mentioned above, barring one occasion, I have never waited to complete 10k before replacing the engine oil. My highway usage has so far easily outweighed city traffic use with the latter not being so much in b2b traffic, fortunately. If that is the case then I do not think one needs to be paranoid about drain intervals
Old 10th April 2017, 21:42   #96
BHPian

Re: old swift VDi (2009) engine oil?

What exactly is the manufacture recommended engine oil for old swift VDi (2009) model?
Old 13th April 2017, 10:59   #97
BHPian

In my case, I have used a variety of full synthetic engine oils in my 2012 Swift VXi from brands like Castrol Edge, Total Quartz 7000 and Shell Helix Ultra in 5w40 grade once the car crossed 10K mark on the odometer.

In my opinion, full synthetics run the engine way more efficiently thus reducing the NVH level.

Out of the lot, I was most impressed by the performance of Shell Helix Ultra as it was able to retain its viscosity even after 10K Kms of running.

After Shell, Total Quartz 7000 was next in terms of the product quality as it made the engine a bit buzzy post 7000Kms on the odo.

Castrol Edge in my opinion, was not able to create any sense of difference when compared to the other two.
Old 13th April 2017, 12:57   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Out of the lot, I was most impressed by the performance of Shell Helix Ultra as it was able to retain its viscosity even after 10K Kms of running.
I had Mobil Delvac 1 on my last service. Can I replace it with Shell Helix Ultra Fully Synthetic 5W40 in the current service?
Old 13th April 2017, 13:20   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I had Mobil Delvac 1 on my last service. Can I replace it with Shell Helix Ultra Fully Synthetic 5W40 in the current service?
Yes possible. Not an issue at all. Drain old one and fill in new oil.

Does your ASC stock Shell Helix Ultra?
Old 13th April 2017, 13:26   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes possible. Not an issue at all. Drain old one and fill in new oil.

Does your ASC stock Shell Helix Ultra?
I would be purchasing the oil from JC Road(Mostly at JK Auto) and would be getting the service done through Cartisan.

Last time had filled in from 3 one liter cans of Mobil Delvac 1. I was apprehensive whether it would be sufficient.
The shell helix ultra comes in 3.5L can, so that will be having some left for later top ups.
Old 13th April 2017, 20:35   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Its perfectly OK as a4anurag pointed out. You just need to drain the oil completely and change the oil stainer as well.

The 2 things you should take care of are as under.

1. Ensure that you stick to a particular engine oil grade. Choose 5w40 grade as its an all-rounder for Indian road conditions. This was taught to me during my induction days in Hyundai plant.

2. Once the engine gets used to the superior lubrication properties of a full synthetic engine oil, it is not advisable to roll back to mineral or part synthetic oil.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 20:53   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Its perfectly OK as a4anurag pointed out. You just need to drain the oil completely and change the oil stainer as well.
What is 'oil stainer'? Is it the oil filter which we replace along with the engine oil?
Old 13th April 2017, 21:05   #103
BHPian

Quote:
What is 'oil stainer'? Is it the oil filter which we replace along with the engine oil?
Yes. But get this item from genuine MGP store only as many fake oil filters are also selling in open market with the same branding.
Old 13th April 2017, 22:00   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. But get this item from genuine MGP store only as many fake oil filters are also selling in open market with the same branding.
Hmmm! It so happened, the guy at 'JK Auto' NOT having the Bosch Oil filter in stocks pushed me onto go for this 'Elofic' oil filter.

Any opinion on this brand? Has anyone here used the same? Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Circular on Swift Engine Oil :  Change from 15W40 to 5W40-img_20170413_215234.jpg  

Maruti Circular on Swift Engine Oil :  Change from 15W40 to 5W40-img_20170413_215307.jpg  

Old 13th April 2017, 22:36   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm! It so happened, the guy at 'JK Auto' NOT having the Bosch Oil filter in stocks pushed me onto go for this 'Elofic' oil filter.

Any opinion on this brand? Has anyone here used the same? Please advise.
I have heard of it. It's a decent brand but as I quoted in my early post, try getting it from official source as it's a critical component for your engine's health.

Most Viewed