Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2014, 22:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD - Timing Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
I am planning to take my linea for a long travel (around 2000+ Kms). 4 months back, did the fourth paid service at Ramkay Service Center. The kilometer reading was 54000 when I gave for service. They suggested me to replace the Timing kit. Since the total service cost including some worn out spares was almost 35K , I told I'll get it done when it reaches 60K kilometers.
Question to all linea owners is -
1) Can I take my car for the long trip without the Timing kit changed (it's going to cost be around 8k)?
2) Is it recommended to get the car inspected before going for such long drives?

-qARS

NO no no. Don't make that mistake. Get the timing chain replaced & Oil change done, without fail. Also, Stay WITH the car and ensure they change the Cam Sprocket & Crank Sprocket. (I've read in FIAT forums that for some reason it is prudent to change the Water Pump too during the Timing Chain replacement.)

NOT doing so could seriously damage the engine, and you're putting yourself at serious risk of extensive damage if the timing chain isn't replaced in time.

Apart from that, what are the changes recommended ? Kindly list out the same here.

Edit :
Any reason you did not get is done yet? Wasn't the SA persuasive enough to make it clear that it is a serious requirement? Is your car under warranty?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 30th November 2014 at 22:51.
Old 30th November 2014, 22:55   #32
BHPian

The SA told it can be done when the kilometer reading reaches 60k. Isn't that's what stated in the service booklet
Old 1st December 2014, 01:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
I am planning to take my linea for a long travel (around 2000+ Kms). 4 months back, did the fourth paid service at Ramkay Service Center. The kilometer reading was 54000 when I gave for service. They suggested me to replace the Timing kit. Since the total service cost including some worn out spares was almost 35K , I told I'll get it done when it reaches 60K kilometers.
Question to all linea owners is -
1) Can I take my car for the long trip without the Timing kit changed (it's going to cost be around 8k)?
2) Is it recommended to get the car inspected before going for such long drives?

-qARS
Baba, replace this thing asap. I don't know what is it with Linea, Punto's, DDIS and timing chains. I hope the service advisor did not write on the job card 'Owner refused timing chain replacement' because if something goes wrong, they'll blame it all on you.

Realistically speaking, 60 thousand km for a timing chain replacement is HOG. What's the point of a timing chain, if you are going to replace it so early even by timing belt standards.

Look at this one dude on this same thread a page before this page, 58 thousand kilometers, 2010 Linea, 1 to 1.5 lakh rupees engine overhaul because of this timing chain mess.

Last edited by humyum : 1st December 2014 at 01:45.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 12:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I don't know what is it with Linea, Punto's, DDIS and timing chains.
The service manual of Palio MJD advises to change the timing chain at 120K km. The reason for quicker change of chain in other cars may be because the engines may be VGT or something.
Old 31st March 2015, 16:37   #35
BHPian

Folks, have a question here.

I own a Fiat Punto 1.3MJD 75hp. My car is in for 75000 km service today at Vecto Motors, Bangalore. The Service Engineer just called up and suggested me to go for 'Timing Chain' change. The approx cost being 10000INR for part and 3000 for labour.

could someone enlighten me as to if even 75hp engines have the timing chain and is the cost quoted fair enough?
Old 31st March 2015, 16:39   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
could someone enlighten me as to if even 75hp engines have the timing chain and is the cost quoted fair enough?
Just get the timing chain replaced. Its the right time to do it as per your current ODO reading.

Needless to say, this answers your question as well .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 18:18   #37
BHPian

Thanks Parag. Infact I should have called you up & met over a cup of tea.

Meanwhile, i did go through the Service Manual & did some research around it and have asked the service advisor to change it. This is going to be the costliest service till date.

Following are the tasks being carried out:
1. All oil & filter change: Parts - 8500, Labour - 1500
2. Timing Chain: Parts - 10000, Labour - 3000
3. Front Brake Pads: Parts + Labour - 3300. I'm happy about brakes, this one lasted approx 35k kms. The 1st one lasted just 15k kms (i was learning to drive!) and 2nd one for 25k kms.
4. Thermostat Valve: Parts - 2500, Labour - 500

So, total of approx 29k INR. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 31st March 2015, 20:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Timing chain change is not part of the regular service schedule for the 75 hp Punto. However, given that it has happened on the 75 hp Punto - I know of 2 - it's better to get it changed, if only for peace of mind.

I got it changed recently purely as a preventive measure @75K even though there were no indications of a problem - such as the usual ticking noise on a cold start.

The cost was 11K .The SAs usually provide a sightly higher estimate but the final cost turns lower. Btw, why is the thermostat valve being changed ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 31st March 2015 at 20:09.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 22:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Btw, why is the thermostat valve being changed ?
Thanks for your pointer.

The cooling in my car had reduced greatly last December and then i got it checked. There wasn't much leakage, but still got a refill done. It was then that a problem with the Thermostat was diagnosed and it wasn't in stock then. So, getting it changed now since its in stock.
Old 31st March 2015, 23:27   #40
BHPian

Does this issue still exists on the new EVO series ? Seeing most owners spending 30K for the 60k KM service is very high. Or is this the norm with most cars.
Old 1st April 2015, 08:56   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Does this issue still exists on the new EVO series ? Seeing most owners spending 30K for the 60k KM service is very high. Or is this the norm with most cars.

Costed Rs 19,200/- for my 90hp including timing chain replacement, all fluids change and an oil sump guard replacement as well. 30k sounds high.

All other services cost around 6k - 7k and service interval is 15k kms.
Old 25th July 2015, 22:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Costed Rs 19,200/- for my 90hp including timing chain replacement, all fluids change and an oil sump guard replacement as well. 30k sounds high.

All other services cost around 6k - 7k and service interval is 15k kms.
Hi,
Can you please post the cost break up of the parts and labor? BTW where did u get this done, TVM or BLR?

Regards,
Umesh
Old 20th June 2016, 15:02   #43
BHPian

My Linea MJD is due for service by 7th July next month.
Going thorough the forum, i understand that there is a need for the Timing Chain to be replaced (since the car is approaching 60k)

I have a question, my extended warranty expires in Dec and my running has now come down drastically (500km / month)

So far the car is doing fine, so i was thinking to have my car serviced from a known Fiat mechanic who now runs his own garage.
I've known this mechanic for past 15-20 years (since I owned an UNO)

Would you guys suggest I get the car serviced by him or should I approach Kashyap ?
Considering the cost factor at Kashyap being almost 19-20k

As for the spares, I can procure them through 99rpm who sells OE spares.
So along with the lube and filters, I can order the chain
Another point I wanted to ask is, the cost for timing chain on 99rpm doesn't sum upto 10k, is Kashyap or other ASS charging extra or is 99rpm not selling the complete kit ?
link to timing chain on 99 rpm:http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/timing-cha...mjd-linea.html

Need your inputs

Thanks

Last edited by FIAT3031 : 20th June 2016 at 15:05.
Old 21st June 2016, 23:16   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
My Linea MJD is due for service by 7th July next month.
Going thorough the forum, i understand that there is a need for the Timing Chain to be replaced (since the car is approaching 60k)

I have a question, my extended warranty expires in Dec and my running has now come down drastically (500km / month)
For time chain replacement, It is better to stick with FASS as this is one of the major part replacement.

For items that are replaced along with the timing chain, you can refer to my update here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3821407
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:52   #45
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
So far the car is doing fine, so i was thinking to have my car serviced from a known Fiat mechanic who now runs his own garage.
I've known this mechanic for past 15-20 years (since I owned an UNO)

Would you guys suggest I get the car serviced by him or should I approach Kashyap ?
If the mechanic is reliable and has the experience of replacing timing chains in the MJD, do go ahead with him. I got mine replaced at home with my mech and the details are here: Linea MJD Timing chain replacement
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks