Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2006, 06:26   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
The best cure for this, is when you are off for a month or so, is to disconnect your battery.
Thanks Revvhead for the info, but its too late now...my battery has been drained completely. My neighbour was starting it every week and it laster only 3 weeks. Next time will remember to disconnect ehe terminals when going on long trips.

Going home this thursday, if required will replace the battery with an Amaron Zero maintenance one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
I understand the cells weree dry because the Service centre forgot to put water in them...this was the case with my Uno too....horrible service by Fiat
Yes buffetman, they dont care about the car at all. Its only because of the hight quality of the build that the fiat cars still last.

I am out of warranty period and have found a Tata dealer in Cochin, who would service my Palio D.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2006 at 00:53.
Old 8th May 2006, 16:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridul
Guys Overloading the alternator beyond the capacity of the alternator (i.e current rating) can reduce the life of the battery...If the vehicle is subjected to heavy loads it is wise to increase the capacity of the alternator to improve the life of the battery....Just by increasing battery capacity it would not add any value..IT IS JUST A MYTH..

For more u could call and talk to me at 9841019624

Cheers

Mridul
anyone has any idea about the right upsize for an alternator for a Baleno...the OE produces just 55 amps / 12 Volts
Old 8th May 2006, 17:06   #48
BHPian

Exide Eternity battery

http://www.exideindustries.com/eil/i...y/eternity.htm

This has to be my next battery, once this one conks off..

Exide is offering Life Time Warranty, Free Bat-Mobile Service in City- For any battery failure or ocassional Top up in a Quarter...!

Just wanted to know, has anyone tried this battery out...any idea on the technical spec..!
Old 9th May 2006, 23:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

Guys...
Have you heard about the OPTIMA "Various Colour " TOPS ? ... lol

they seemed totally sealed to me.. their Sales Manager showed me a video the other day where they were literally trashing the battery about... running 4x4s over it etc.... and showing how it still worked! This is supposedly the only "TRUE" life time battery ... apparently known to last over 7-8 YEARS without EVER needing top-ups of any sort... blah blah blah...

NOW IS all this true!!??
Old 11th May 2006, 00:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

guys..i wanted to enquire..about the alternator in my car..i have a maruti 800 1998 model..carbureted..run 62000 km..the alternator is showin an output of 13.07 volts without any load..nd a a current of 12.6 volts with load of headlight(got 90/100 volts) nd the ac/blower..is this ok..??do i need to worry about this..?i have no starting or any kind of problems with the cars electricals..
Old 11th May 2006, 01:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Guys...
apparently known to last over 7-8 YEARS without EVER needing top-ups of any sort... blah blah blah...
7-8 years!! Wonder if the car will last that long....
Seriously, 7-8yrs!!!!?? Impossible! That too without ANY maintainance!!?
Old 11th May 2006, 01:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Guys...
Have you heard about the OPTIMA "Various Colour " TOPS ? ... lol

they seemed totally sealed to me.. their Sales Manager showed me a video the other day where they were literally trashing the battery about... running 4x4s over it etc.... and showing how it still worked! This is supposedly the only "TRUE" life time battery ... apparently known to last over 7-8 YEARS without EVER needing top-ups of any sort... blah blah blah...

NOW IS all this true!!??
Am using a yellow top right now. Will let you know in 6 years

But on a more serious note - these batteries are superb. Expensive but in my opinion worth every penny.
Old 11th May 2006, 14:12   #53
Senior - BHPian

Guys..like i said i changed my car's battery recently. I have also upgraded the ICE setup to two subs from the earlier one sub. But now there is no dimming of the lights at fairly high volumes. The installer did do some re-wiring so dunno if that helped. Anyway, that dimming prob is completely gone...
Old 25th September 2006, 19:14   #54
BHPian

Ok finally, My lancer SF gave up today, Now I'm looking for a replacement, I'm not too Keen on Amaron , like I said Had a bad expierence with the UNO, So whats the best option I have available since I called an Exide dealer and he said Exide Eternity is not in stock will take a week..!
If amaron is so much better, apart from Optima what is best model recommended for a Lancer, The current Normal SF was changed Dec'2003 so approx 2 yrs 9 Months it lasted me with no shakeups.
Can anyone shed the price factor also, Since I have the OEM ICE and no other accessories apart from OEM stuff, I don't see a need for Optima..! I need to get one tommorow, Thanks guys.
Old 25th September 2006, 20:28   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't buy exide. Their batteries have been rubbish of late.
If you don't like amaron, i would recommend that (hard to find) bosch silver batteries.
Old 25th September 2006, 20:34   #56
BHPian

I know a Boch dealer, where I can find those, But I've never heard of anyone using them...Exide and Amaron are the only names one hears in the Replacement market. Have you used it, or know anyone using it Sam..!
Old 26th September 2006, 00:15   #57
BHPian

Our Maruti 800 had a Standard Furukawa battery. Which I think did the job well. Though I am no expert in this area but would try posting some info regarding the battery.

Types :
1. SMF : Sealed Maintenance Free Battery : It does not require any top up. Rather there is no opening where you could top it from. It is completely sealed. I don't know much about these variants i.e. how long it would last. Moreover I don't even know anyone using it. So it's a hard call. A google search would be good but then things like temprature, moisture should also be taken into account. I would suggest to let it prove itself then it might be good for a try if it lasts. Plus it costs almost double.

MF: Maintenance Free battery : These require topping. But generally it should not require one in about 3-6 months. But be sure to check it once every month. Use only distilled water / battery water for it. No your filter's spectra clean water is not OK.

Nomal battery : Same as above but would require much frequent topping.

Putting a battery in the boot would be quite lethal. In case it is a lead Acid (Normal battery). The fumes it would emit is not only toxic but would also corrode the metal and ruin the cloth. Though you can put in a SMF but I really don't see the reason. If that's really required you can use a higher wattage battery in the lid itself. Alternator fiddling would be required as well. Atleast I wouldn't really go with all this stuff.

The alternator current also should also be checked in every service. If you drive a lot make sure the alertnator is not overcharging the battery. In case of continous overcharging the battery would begin to swell.

Always keep the plates immersed in water. Every compartment's plates should be immersed. Even if a single cell conks out the battery is generally pretty much useless.
Old 26th September 2006, 07:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Exide & other brands

After having used Exide & 2 times Furakawa batteries in my various vehicles over a long period starting from 1978, I installed a Lucas 80AH unit in my Safari. A marked difference (not just because it is new). A less than half self start for the first time in the morning at dalhousie..:-) This was not the case with the new exide that was put 2 yrs back in the same car and at the same place at the same time of year.. Enhanced brightness of lights..etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
I know a Boch dealer, where I can find those, But I've never heard of anyone using them...Exide and Amaron are the only names one hears in the Replacement market. Have you used it, or know anyone using it Sam..!
Old 4th June 2007, 16:08   #59
Team-BHP Support

As mentioned in another thread, I need a new battery for the Octavia TDi. So made a few calls to check the various prices and options. Needless to say, I was quite stunned when the prices starting coming in!

Existing Battery Specs: 12v 70A

1. Skoda Dealership
They only sell Exide batteries as those are now OE from Skoda.
Price for a DIN74: Rs.7,000/-

2. Amaron Dealer
DIN 74 Amaron "Pro": Rs.7,620/-
48 month warranty

3. Exide Dealer
DIN74 (Same as Skoda A.S.S.): Rs.7,200/-

4. Bosch
They don't have Skoda listed in their application sheet and could not tell me which of their batteries was compatible! Pretty sad when the main distributor doesn't know anything except whats given in writing on the sheet of paper from the factory.

Probably going to settle for the Amaron. But what I find really shocking is that none of the dealers/agents I called from the numbers given on the various company websites would give me a knowledgeable reply. Frankly, if I didn't know exactly which battery I needed, they would have sent over anything they wanted. Sad sad sad....
Old 5th June 2007, 14:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Did you try calling Lucas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
As mentioned in another thread, I need a new battery for the Octavia TDi. So made a few calls to check the various prices and options. Needless to say, I was quite stunned when the prices starting coming in!

Existing Battery Specs: 12v 70A

1. Skoda Dealership
They only sell Exide batteries as those are now OE from Skoda.
Price for a DIN74: Rs.7,000/-

2. Amaron Dealer
DIN 74 Amaron "Pro": Rs.7,620/-
48 month warranty

3. Exide Dealer
DIN74 (Same as Skoda A.S.S.): Rs.7,200/-

4. Bosch
They don't have Skoda listed in their application sheet and could not tell me which of their batteries was compatible! Pretty sad when the main distributor doesn't know anything except whats given in writing on the sheet of paper from the factory.

Probably going to settle for the Amaron. But what I find really shocking is that none of the dealers/agents I called from the numbers given on the various company websites would give me a knowledgeable reply. Frankly, if I didn't know exactly which battery I needed, they would have sent over anything they wanted. Sad sad sad....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks