Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 20:14   #31
BHPian

Re: My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored

Hi All

I have been thinking of incorporating the alloys in the same considering the same would complete the muscle car looks. Presenting a few pictures which really impressed me . request inputs please. of course with a request that if you want to pass any personal comments please mark it as same so that no arguement arises but anything on improvement is welcome

Also the picture of my car which has fancy rims in the rear wheel am trying to source the adapters for the front wheel which can help me install the rims in the front as well.

The Rims have just been installed to check the feasibility and trial purpose only as once ascertained we will do the chorme or paintwork to the same before it is finally installed. Request inputs on whether the rims should be given chrome plated or painted.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-big_122029435xia.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-cam00165.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-cam00166.jpg  

Old 27th May 2013, 20:23   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

For the design you selected i would say chrome should look better than painting it with any other colors. Though its just my personal opinion. You please wait for the other experts to comment on this too.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 08:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
For the design you selected i would say chrome should look better than painting it with any other colors. Though its just my personal opinion. You please wait for the other experts to comment on this too.
Hi Samba

Thanks for the encouragement on the same even I was thinking on the same lines but just also wanted to reconfirm the same before going ahead. appreciate your inputs indeed.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 21:35   #34
BHPian

Hi Again

I need to get the spacers like the one in the below picture to fit the new rims.

Can someone please let me know, where I can get it in Hyderabad?

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-25mmhighstrengthaluminumalloyflangerimbroadenedspacerbroadenedfontbwheelsbfontdistance.jpg  

Old 29th May 2013, 23:58   #35
BHPian

Hi All

The red picture I guess shows the alloys but is too distorted request the person to post it again

Regards
S.N
Old 30th May 2013, 11:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Also the picture of my car which has fancy rims in the rear wheel am trying to source the adapters for the front wheel which can help me install the rims in the front as well.
Request inputs on whether the rims should be given chrome plated or painted.
Hi Sushil,
Nice to see your Uno. Could you please explain why you need an adaptor for the fron wheel? - For PCD matching or as a spacer?
Regarding chrome plating the wheel rim, it would be really difficult to protect it from rust. You can apply a coat of lacquer over the plated surface though. Compared to chrome plating, painting would workout cheaper. Are the fancy rims from an NE?
Old 30th May 2013, 19:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Sushil,
Nice to see your Uno. Could you please explain why you need an adaptor for the fron wheel? - For PCD matching or as a spacer?
Regarding chrome plating the wheel rim, it would be really difficult to protect it from rust. You can apply a coat of lacquer over the plated surface though. Compared to chrome plating, painting would workout cheaper. Are the fancy rims from an NE?
Hi Illangpop
Thanks for dropping by this thread . Yes the need for adapter is to be used as a spacer between the disc brake assembly and the rim as it is rubbing against the assembly without the spacer and creating a lot of friction which is resulting in the rim getting heated up

Yes regarding painting the same or chroming is concerned we can ascertain the same once we are able to successfully fit it , thanks for the inputs on the same though

I am really not sure if they are from NE as I was told by a person that they used to be used in Rally sports and will fit the UNO with a little bit of modifications/ spacer Awaiting inputs from you on the same

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Old 31st May 2013, 09:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the need for adapter is to be used as a spacer between the disc brake assembly and the rim as it is rubbing against the assembly without the spacer and creating a lot of friction which is resulting in the rim getting heated up
Can you please post a picture of the inner side of the rim where the rubbing was happening? Just to understand if a spacer could sover the problem or to know if you need a rim with a larger inner dia.
-Ilango
Old 1st June 2013, 13:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please post a picture of the inner side of the rim where the rubbing was happening?
Ilango, there is no problem when these wheels are fitted at the back. When fitted at the front, they are rubbing against the disc brake caliper. You will get a clearer picture when Sushil posts the pictures. An adapter is required as a spacer and not for PCD matching. Is there any alternative other than an adapter?
Old 1st June 2013, 23:59   #40
BHPian

Hi Guys

I am enclosing the below picture which will make things clear

so In my case i have highlighted the brake pad assembly which is rubbing against the back of the rim

Awaiting response soon on a workable solution.

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th May 2014 at 11:49. Reason: Old post, but removing one corrupt image.
Old 2nd June 2013, 00:34   #41
BHPian

So, by how much would you need to bring the wheel outside? And how does the hub center protrude out on the front axle. If you think the new rimm will be seated on th hub center even after having a spacer then it is worth giving a thought. To check if a spacer can solver the problem, you may jack the car and remove the front wheel. Introduce a washer each in between the front hub and the rim. Bolt it back. Rotate the wheel while the car is jacked. If it still rubs, try 2, 3, ... washers. If you see that the scrubbing stops at the point where the rim centre hole wont be able to rest on the hub centre, I think you will be far deviating from the designed wheel geometry. So let us take a call once you try the above experiment. Please post pictures as you introduce washers to measure the distance.
Old 2nd June 2013, 20:43   #42
BHPian

Quote:
So, by how much would you need to bring the wheel outside? And how does the hub center protrude out on the front axle. If you think the new rimm will be seated on th hub center even after having a spacer then it is worth giving a thought. To check if a spacer can solver the problem, you may jack the car and remove the front wheel. Introduce a washer each in between the front hub and the rim. Bolt it back. Rotate the wheel while the car is jacked. If it still rubs, try 2, 3, ... washers. If you see that the scrubbing stops at the point where the rim centre hole wont be able to rest on the hub centre, I think you will be far deviating from the designed wheel geometry. So let us take a call once you try the above experiment. Please post pictures as you introduce washers to measure the distance.
Hi Brother,

I tried the above experiments today but to my surprise the type is bolt type where the thread rests on the wheel assembly and you bolt it up from out side so no option to place the washers
They are like the one on the right as against like the one on Left that you have in alto

so no possibility of using a washer. I guess

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-mimages.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-bpnggqmkkgrhqmhcueun4mrrlzbls2sbzjzg_35.jpg  

Old 4th June 2013, 20:29   #43
BHPian

Quote:
so no possibility of using a washer. I guess
Dude, think a little out of the box. Anyways you will be painting the wheel rims. So there is no harm is spending Rs5/- on feviquik and glue the washer to the back side of the rim or to the brake drum. What say?
Old 6th June 2013, 21:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Dude, think a little out of the box. Anyways you will be painting the wheel rims. So there is no harm is spending Rs5/- on feviquik and glue the washer to the back side of the rim or to the brake drum. What say?
Hi Bro

Thanks for the suggestion indeed . Its a Good suggestion and really out of the box thinking which did not strike me earlier.
But I had a few questions on the same:
  • Will the feviquick be able to stand the heat emitted from the disk brakes assembly during movement
  • Is that sure that it will not lose its grip even when the car is at high speeds say average of 100 or 110Kmph.
  • Would the nuts or washers be able to withstand the pressure without cracking in between because even if one side washers crack they will disturb the balance of the entire vehicle which is risky at high speeds and also can cause severe damage to the vehicle and life.
  • Has anyone tried it before. If yes , would request the person to share his experience.
  • Requests the experts to comment on the same please. Dhabhar Sir, Bala, Rahul bhai, Anjan Sir request inputs please.
Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Old 7th June 2013, 00:19   #45
BHPian

Quote:
  • Will the feviquick be able to stand the heat emitted from the disk brakes assembly during movement
  • Is that sure that it will not lose its grip even when the car is at high speeds say average of 100 or 110Kmph.
  • Would the nuts or washers be able to withstand the pressure without cracking in between because even if one side washers crack they will disturb the balance of the entire vehicle which is risky at high speeds and also can cause severe damage to the vehicle and life.
  • Has anyone tried it before. If yes , would request the person to share his experience.
Oh dude, Good that you asked in the forum and did not try driving at 110 Kmph. It was only a suggestion to understand how much offset you really need with this rim, and if offestting would really help you in the rim fitment. Please do not experiment driving the car with a washer like spacer. Only jack up the car and rotate the wheel by hand. It is very much possible that all your above mentioned forecasts turn true if you drive with this setup.
-Ilango

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks