Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 20:55   #76
BHPian

Re: What to do if your Engine Overheats on the road

Here's my experience with my used civic before it was diagnosed with defective thermostat. On short trips (20kms) the temperature indicator used to be > 50% and no signs of any temperature drop even with the fan turning on. It never overheated yet my intuition told me that something was not right. One day early winter morning had to drive to airport (60 kms). Feeling cold, I had the heater switched on. Surprisingly, it was at 40% level. Same day went to HASC and had to replace RPL THERMOSTAT & ECT SENSOR (Rs. 711), CAP COMP (Rs. 275), THERMOSTAT ASSY (Rs. 1578), SENSOR ASSY, TW (Rs. 1679) and coolant worth 1250 for 4 litres. Since them I'm paranoid about readings if they look abnormal. I've even connected elm327 bluetooth dongle and each trip is logged. Now highest temperature is 93 degrees after visit to HASC. Hope its a healthy number.
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 23:46   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Cold water meeting hot engine can have the block crack up. You'll fill up, start the engine, the thermostat will suddenly open and a flow of fresh cold water will meet the engine. This way, there's lesser temperature difference between cool water & burning hot engine, the water pump is running to maintain circulation and it might also prevent / remove air bubbles
1st Case:
Am still not clear about the above statement. If we do not run the engine and fill the radiator with cold water does it directly reach the cooling jackets or will it be stopped from reaching the cooling jackets in the engine because of the thermostat? And if not then any way the cool water will reach the engine cooling jackets the first moment we start the engine as in Case 2.

2nd Case:
If the engine is kept on, I understand that the water pump will aid in the fast circulation of cool water over the heated engine cooling jackets but at the same time it will carry the cold water again very fast to the radiator. Might be this is the only phenomenon that saves the engine?
Old 12th March 2013, 11:36   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
1st Case:
Am still not clear about the above statement. If we do not run the engine and fill the radiator with cold water does it directly reach the cooling jackets or will it be stopped from reaching the cooling jackets in the engine because of the thermostat? And if not then any way the cool water will reach the engine cooling jackets the first moment we start the engine as in Case 2.

2nd Case:
If the engine is kept on, I understand that the water pump will aid in the fast circulation of cool water over the heated engine cooling jackets but at the same time it will carry the cold water again very fast to the radiator. Might be this is the only phenomenon that saves the engine?
Case 1: Water will go directly to the block

Case 2: Cold water will be mixed with hot water.

In most case engine overheating is a result of loss of coolant, so the radiator is practically empty, and so may the water jacket of the engine block. When you pour cold water, it travels straight to the bloc, where if it meets hot metal it will cool the metal rapidly resulting in a crack

If the engine has some water - radiator not completely drained, then there will be hot water (or steam at times) in the block. Slowly adding cold water with the engine running will cool the rest of the coolant gradually, as the water will recirculating, preventing the block cooling rapidly. In effect the water in the engine will be cooled slowly when the engine is on (provided there is water initially in the hot engine). Use this method if you are sure that there is water in the radiator, else allow the engine to cool for a couple of hours at least.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 23:26   #79

Thanks for this post. I had this episode twice over the past 2 weeks. First time in front of Silk Board in peak hour traffic and suddenly the temp guage was flashing red, and finally the Scorpio voice-alert started off. Pulled over. Called up Sireesh Auto and he was kind enough to advice me on whats to be done, which were similar to the steps given here. Btw, I saw pink colored spilt some liquid (I did'nt know what it was then - will come back to this later). And yes, I tried opening the radiator when it was still hot - luckily it was a good 10 min. after I stopped and a green liquid gushed out. Man, I thought I'm in serious trouble ! Luckily the service advisor took me through the whole thing, I topped up my radiator with 3+ litres of water.

Came back and read this post and for having opened the radiator without waiting.

Kept checking everyday for signs of any leaks, but none whatsoever. Ok, I thought everything is fine, let's move on.

And lo and behold, yesterday it happened again at Whitefield ! This time I waited for a good 25 min. before topping up the radiator with water again. And decided to take the car to the doc, er service station. Went to Sireesh Auto at Marathahalli, and the service advisor promptly saw the pink color and told me there's a leak in the pipe (its a plastic one which circulates coolant to the right places). Funny how no leaks wherever the car was parked showed up. I also saw the place which he pointed to was dripping.

When I got the car back in the evening, he showed me the replaced pipe which sure enough had a minor dent like thing and a very tiny tear. Will post a pic soon. He said the alternator seems to have touched the pipe and this might've happened. I asked him how can this happen and whether it can happen with the new one and he said no - its been fitted correctly.

Just wanted to understand how this could happen ? Any chances of it happening again ?

And yes, the pink liquid is (according to the service advisor) coolant liquid which when comes in contact with high temperature areas (like the engine) becomes pink.

Lastly, the same steps as recounted in TBHP's tips below are also there in the Scorpio owner's manual - here goes again !
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

First things first:

The first thing you should do is switch the air-conditioner off, keep the revvs to a minimum and find a safe parking spot. Once you come to a halt, switch the engine off immediately, but position the key in “ignition on” mode. This will allow the fans to keep running. Contemporary cars have electric cooling fans that operate even when the engine is switched off. Pay attention to whether the fan kicks in or not (you will hear it) as this information will help us later.
============
The steps listed in this post might just get you to a repair garage without doing any permanent damage to your vehicle.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th March 2017 at 09:22. Reason: Old post -- edited quoted post for better readability
Old 22nd May 2013, 23:35   #80
BHPian

Coolant leakage in Fiesta diesel, engine overheats but no change in temp gauge

Hi All,

After years of owning this great car, for the first time I was stranded in the middle due to the coolant leakage for few hours.

As I was returning to home from vadapalani to Thoraipakkam, suddenly my car stopped at the peak traffic after Kathipara junction. I was totally upset and there were no warning lights in the dashboard. As usual, people started honking like anything, I wasn't able to comeout the car and pull over to the side. I tried cranking few times, no success. After few minutes, it started somehow. Then drove it to the sideways, then I checked the car. No visible changes. As i did not notice the coolant level due to the low light. I started the car back then continue the journey.

But car wasn't behaving as earlier. After 2-3 Kms Car suddenly stopped again and i was able to manage to parked in the sideways ( under the MRTS bridge). Then opened the engine bay, the smoke started coming out and I checked the coolant reservoir ,it was empty. Immediately called up ford assistance, they said they may take hours to reach there. Then I called MyTVS 24*7 ( My insurance provider) , they responded promptly and sent a mechanic after 45 minutes late. By the time, my cousin came to the spot . We waited for Mechanic and they came by (someone's car) without no identity card or uniform. They poured water over coolant reservoir and did some basic checks. I was too worried about that I was damaged my Car's engine.

After somechecks, they started the car. OMG, it was started peacefully. They put AC, it was also running fine. But we noticed that the coolant started leaking under the front area (left most where coolant reservoir located on top).

They told us, they will take the car to their (unknown) workshop and get it repaired. But we were reluctant to give our car to unknown guys ( there were no proof of evidence as they came from MyTVS). I told them we'll take care the car. Immediately they left from the place without asking further questions.

We had to buy a 25ltr water cane and they we stated drove back to home with checking the coolant level intermittently. During the ways, we noticed the coolant was leaking over the ways to home and parked safely.

Planned to call to the FORD or local garage to pick my car and check the issue.

Sorry for the long post. I really wanted to convey whole story over here. Also, I need an assistance from our fellow bhpians as a first opinion.

Almost 20 days back I did a cooling coil change and AC service done at one of the reputed local garage. During that time, they dismantled the coolant reservoir and while putting back they added water over there.

Did they play the spoilsport here? I really suspect their work done. But there is no issue in AC cooling.

I'm really looking for your valuable comments to proceed me further.

Also, my doubt is how on the earth there were no signs of engine overheating or some warning lights in the dashboard throughout this period

Last edited by Jebs : 22nd May 2013 at 23:41. Reason: Additional questions
Old 23rd May 2013, 00:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coolant leakage in Fiesta diesel, engine overheats but no change in temp gauge

What about the fan? Was it running continuously in the high speed? With AC, it will be difficult to hear it in traffic though. Maybe, since the coolant was empty, the higher temperature did not record in the console.

Last edited by ramzsys : 23rd May 2013 at 00:20.
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:56   #82
BHPian

Re: Coolant leakage in Fiesta diesel, engine overheats but no change in temp gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
. After few minutes, it started somehow. Then drove it to the sideways, then I checked the car. No visible changes. As i did not notice the coolant level due to the low light. I started the car back then continue the journey.

But car wasn't behaving as earlier. After 2-3 Kms..

Also, my doubt is how on the earth there were no signs of engine overheating or some warning lights in the dashboard throughout this period

With no coolant/water, you need not drive much to screw up the engine.
Fix the leak, check the head-gasket and if all is fine, drive on.

Last edited by jeeva : 23rd May 2013 at 10:12.
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:16   #83
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure the temp gauge was not at the max point? I am asking because we generally do not look there.

I had an issue with my AC fan conking off while driving home a few years ago. I could hear some strange hum while changing gears, but did not suspect anything amiss. While nearing my home, I found the AC cooling had reduced. Only after parking and calling Ford A.S.S, I realized that the temp guage was at 'H', which is the max point. I was advised to drive without AC to their workshop. They replaced it for free under warranty.
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:23   #84
BHPian

Yes, Being a 7 years old Car completed 85K kms I often to check for any warning lights during drive. Since, the car returned from Service center a month back, I have not checked the coolant level last 1 week.

Even today I started my car, there is a water dropping from the coolant reservoir. Waiting for the ASS person to come up pick the car.

I'm pretty sure that the heat indicator at the middle btw H->C. Also, I'vent felt any AC cooling issue and all. But I very recently changed the cooling coil for my CAR.

Last edited by Jebs : 23rd May 2013 at 11:25. Reason: update:
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

My Swift had coolant leak (after service, they had screwed up something). The temp needle used to rise and cutoff the AC. Never suspected anything. MASS said the coolant is low and filled it up. Drove to Mahabalipuram and back.

Couple of days after the needle would again indicate max temperature after driving almost to the office and found that coolant was completely gone.

Luckily nothing happened to the engine.
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:52   #86
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure its leaking from the coolant reservoir? If you are sure about this, then it could be just the coolant reservoir that needs a replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Even today I started my car, there is a water dropping from the coolant reservoir. Waiting for the ASS person to come up pick the car.
Old 7th September 2013, 16:26   #87
BHPian

HELP needed: Coolant Leakage leading to overheating & probable head gasket failure

Dear all,

I was having the engine overheating issue in my Ikon 1.3 due to coolant leakage(never realized it). My car had low running - I take it twice or thrice a week to my office(one way distance - 13 kms). I use my wife's car on other days. My total mileage is around 66K in 7.5 years now.

It all started few weeks back when the High speed fan used to come on while driving even for 3-4 kms. I feel the coolant temperature gauge never worked well or I wd have noticed the overheating(maybe I missed it). As my running was low, I drove in this condition (high speed fan coming on) for many days thinking that it could be a minor issue and wd get it serviced soon(lethargic!! ).

When I used to switch off the engine at red signals, sometimes, it used to take 2-3 ignition kicks to get started. I thought it's a battery or ignition coil issue and continued that way. Sometimes the car refused to start on switching off and probably wd get started after 15-20 min(obviously due to engine getting cooled!). One day the car stalled and refused to start. My friend pushed the car and somehow I started the engine using reverse or 2nd gears and managed to reach till home(it stalled multiple times due to overheating - I never realised it!!). Stupidly, next day, I got the battery replaced after getting the battery checked which was indeed slightly weak but wd have lasted more(previous battery replacement was 3.5 yrs back). New Battery costed 4.5k.

Now, next day again the engine started stalling. I called the FORD breakdown service who came and quickly realised that there was no coolant left and engine was running in overheat condition causing stalling. He topped up the coolant. I took the car to service station in the evening to get it inspected fully for coolant leakage.

The car ran well when the coolant was topped up. I had kept the Car in office parking for 5 hrs, topped up the coolant further with water. However, Car vibrated scaringly once when I started the engine in the evening but finally ran well for 12 kms till service station without the high speed fan coming on(probably as the coolant was there!).

Initially, the service guy told me that the coolant is leaking from a hose and the pblm cd be fixed by replacing the hose. After few hours, he called me to say that they may have to inspect the head for head gasket failure/other damages as it seems that Engine oil and coolant/water have got mixed and there were visible signs of leakage near the head gasket. They wd be able to tell more only after they open it up. I asked them to hold on as he quoted me an expense of 35K+ depending on the type of work needed.

Currently, I have asked him to replace the hose, coolant , engine oil, temp. gauge inspection etc and send the car back to me.

Now, I need to know from you guys what all could have gone wrong. The car running usually was never beyond 14 kms at a single stretch in this condition. I used the car once or twice in a week.

Lastly, burnout boy or others in Pune, please suggest a good car garage preferably near Kothrud area where I can get this done(Head gasket inspection/replacement, related repairs etc). I wish to use the car for another 4-5 years at least(low running - maybe 70 kms max a week). No point selling the car now as it wd hardly fetch me a lakh. Also, no point getting this repair done from Planet Ford, Pune as they would charge a ransom(total could be 50k for everything).

Thanks, in advance, for your advice. Looking forward for yr responses.

Last edited by nitinhegde : 7th September 2013 at 16:29.
Old 7th September 2013, 16:43   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sorry for the predicament you're in, but to be fair, the car warned you more than enough times to nip this in the bud.
Now it's clear that the head gaskets gone, considering that the oil and coolant have mixed.

I'd suggest piling the car on a flatbed and sending it to an fng.I'm sure you'll get some recommendations soon from locally placed people. For sure, it won't cost you 35k outside. I got a similar quote for my fiesta from Ford, and had it done for about 10-15 k outside.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 16:44   #89
BHPian

Re: HELP needed: Coolant Leakage leading to overheating & probable head gasket failur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
Dear all,

I was having the ...
I think you can get it done at this place. Recommended by many team-bhpians. Especially because you own a Ford car I think it will be difficult for you to get good garages who specially deal in Ford vehicles.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...aner-pune.html

Also whenever you mention any problem about your car make sure you give all the details about your car like, Manufacturer, Make, Model, Total mileage etc.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 16:48   #90
BHPian

Re: HELP needed: Coolant Leakage leading to overheating & probable head gasket failur

Additional help: If someone can provide FORD India - west regional managers number/e-mail id then that would be great. I have done my regular servicing from Planet Ford and see this as a reliability issue(coolant temperature gauge not working, hose damage undetected etc). Do you think I can negotiate for discounts and get this done via Planet Ford itself? We are vendors of FORD(Supply PLM Software solutions/services to them for Vehicle design).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks