Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 06:26   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why you must practice the "Idling Rule" with Turbo-Charged Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
I'm not sure whether this question has already been tackled here or not, but I was wondering that some TC'ed cars have this auto engine cutoff feature like in BMW. If idling rule applies to these cars, isn't it a self detrimental feature implementation by BMW?
No, its designed that way. The idling rule is (becoming) a thing of the past. Always check your manual, if it requires idling, the manual will state so. If not, it was designed without the need for idling.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 11:07   #257
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure whether this question has already been tackled here or not, but I was wondering that some TC'ed cars have this auto engine cutoff feature like in BMW. If idling rule applies to these cars, isn't it a self detrimental feature implementation by BMW?
These modern expensive cars don't have Oil cooled turbos so don't need idling to cool off those bearings.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 15:08   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering that some TC'ed cars have this auto engine cutoff feature like in BMW. If idling rule applies to these cars, isn't it a self detrimental feature implementation by BMW?
If you hammer these cars at high speeds for some time, and immediately stop, they do not switch off immediately, rather after 20-30 seconds. But they usually tick over at at 1500 Rpm at low high way speeds like 80 kph, and if you stop then they switch off almost immediately.

Rahul
Old 29th May 2015, 12:10   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
These modern expensive cars don't have Oil cooled turbos so don't need idling to cool off those bearings.
Aren't these intercoolers? They are meant to cool down the air coming from the turbo before being fed to the engine. So I am guessing the modern expensive cars also require the "idling practice"
Old 1st June 2015, 18:09   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoslerphile View Post
Aren't these intercoolers? They are meant to cool down the air coming from the turbo before being fed to the engine. So I am guessing the modern expensive cars also require the "idling practice"
No Intercoolers don't need any idling as their purpose is to cool the inlet air going into the turbo. It is the turbine that needs to cool off before being shut down.
Old 29th June 2015, 19:33   #261
BHPian

I'll be honest here, I've found the opinions on this thread massively confusing!

Having bought my first diesel hatch, I started reading this thread.

But instead of getting clarity on whether one should idle their engine for 30 seconds or not, all I've understood is that no two people on this thread have the same opinion

Fellas, a clear suggestion please. Should one idle for 30 seconds before starting off & shutting down? A simple YES or NO would suffice.

The car in question is a Hyundai i20, manufactured June 2015.
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 19:47   #262
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Fellas, a clear suggestion please. Should one idle for 30 seconds before starting off & shutting down? A simple YES or NO would suffice.
Yes, one should idle before starting off and before shutting down to protect the turbo.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 03:17   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
I suggest you have a look in the Owner's Manual for the manufacturer's recommendations. The manual for my car (Skoda Octavia TDI) says the following:

Quote:
Do not warm up the engine while the vehicle is stationary. If possible, start your journey as soon as the engine has started. Through this, the engine reaches its operating temperature faster.
Quote:
Do not switch the engine off immediately at the end of your journey after the engine has been operated over a prolonged period at high loads but leave it to run at an idling speed for about 1 minute. This prevents any possible accumulation of heat when the engine is switched off.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 10:39   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I suggest you have a look in the Owner's Manual for the manufacturer's recommendations. The manual for my car (Skoda Octavia TDI) says the following:
Does the manual refer to keep the car under certain RPMs after starting a cold engine? As keeping the engine idle or start driving at low revs are both safe for the Turbo.
Old 1st July 2015, 11:45   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Does the manual refer to keep the car under certain RPMs after starting a cold engine? As keeping the engine idle or start driving at low revs are both safe for the Turbo.
The manual does not mention any particular RPM, but cautions:

Quote:
Avoid high engine revolutions, full throttle and high engine loads before the engine has reached its operating temperature – risk of damaging the engine!
In my observation, the engine does not reach its operating temperature as defined by the manual (i.e., temperature needle in the mid-range of the guage) even in 2 or 3 minutes. Most days when I reach office in the morning after a 6km drive at speeds upto 50kmph, the temperature guage reaches barely above 50. So really, 30s or even 60s of idling before starting off also does not mean I am free to drive as I please as soon as I am off. I would much rather drive, albeit slowly, as the engine is warming up.

Last edited by StarrySky : 1st July 2015 at 11:53.
Old 1st August 2015, 17:51   #266
BHPian

Wonderful article and thread. Something like this was definitely needed and it is sad to see this thread not being read/posted to anymore.

In my 2005 scorpio a sticker was pasted on the steering wheel for a 1 minute idle during start and shut down. I followed this religiously during all starts/shut downs even if it was during the middle of the day or I had to park for only a few minutes and get going again.

The car ran for about 3 lac km before I sold it off, and last I heard the new owner also was running it without any engine troubles so I guess turbo cooling definitely is a must.
rajivrt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 22:19   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrt View Post
Wonderful article and thread. Something like this was definitely needed and it is sad to see this thread not being read/posted to anymore.

In my 2005 scorpio a sticker was pasted on the steering wheel for a 1 minute idle during start and shut down. I followed this religiously during all starts/shut downs even if it was during the middle of the day or I had to park for only a few minutes and get going again.

The car ran for about 3 lac km before I sold it off, and last I heard the new owner also was running it without any engine troubles so I guess turbo cooling definitely is a must.

Well, for your car it was. More and more cars and engines don't require it. When in doubt check the manual.

Most owners haven't got a clue and mist get away with it with no problem. But better safe than sorry is a good approach

Jeroen
Old 1st August 2015, 23:27   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, for your car it was. More and more cars and engines don't require it. Jeroen
Is this idling rule required in a 2009 swift VDi?
Old 1st August 2015, 23:41   #269
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the thread, I didn't know about this. The more I live the more I learn.

In normal sedate city driving conditions, I switch off the engine at red lights if I have to wait for more than 20 seconds. Which means I do not really cool down the engine before switching off. Is this fine? I believe cooling down is necessary only if you are into hard driving like climbing hills or high-rev or plain long hours of driving. Please educate me on this.
Old 2nd August 2015, 06:42   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Thanks for the thread, I didn't know about this. The more I live the more I learn.

In normal sedate city driving conditions, I switch off the engine at red lights if I have to wait for more than 20 seconds. Which means I do not really cool down the engine before switching off. Is this fine? I believe cooling down is necessary only if you are into hard driving like climbing hills or high-rev or plain long hours of driving. Please educate me on this.

Yes. I have owned and driven Diesel Turbo charged vehicles since 2008.
I do not switch off at red lights unless the wait is going to be very long.
I place the gear lever in neutral and sit with the AC on and music on.

However, if I were to drive the car a little faster or climb up a hill or something where the Turbo is spooling up a lot, then when I reach my destination, I allow the vehicle to cool down slowly over a couple of minutes and then switch off.

Even in normal city use up and down from work, even though the progress is mostly of the start-stop variety, when I reach my destination, I always allow the vehicle to idle for a minute or so before switching off completely. At the time of starting up the vehicle, I allow it to idle for a minute or so before engaging gear and moving off.

I do drive sedately - no space in these crowded cities for "spirited" driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks