Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2016, 12:42   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why you must practice the "Idling Rule" with Turbo-Charged Cars

You can try lot of things, some years back a GMC Duramax V8 diesel engine had a run away when hooked to a dynamometer. With only one bank burning oil. and other off the engine which is supposed to be 397 BHP was generating over 1000 BHP, as dynamometer meter could not measure more than that. A FWD or 4WD may stop with brakes applied, but we don't know how much the engine is generating, and weather brakes, will be able to hold, or tyres grip against the wall, or everything has to be done together.
Whatever it is it is better to stop the engine before pieces of valves, and turbo shoot out like sharpnel through the exhaust, or worse still the cylinderhead disintegrates and kills people.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 13:22   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
You can try lot of things, some years back a GMC Duramax V8 diesel engine had a run away when hooked to a dynamometer. With only one bank burning oil. and other off the engine which is supposed to be 397 BHP was generating over 1000 BHP, as dynamometer meter could not measure more than that. A FWD or 4WD may stop with brakes applied, but we don't know how much the engine is generating, and weather brakes, will be able to hold, or tyres grip against the wall, or everything has to be done together.
Whatever it is it is better to stop the engine before pieces of valves, and turbo shoot out like sharpnel through the exhaust, or worse still the cylinderhead disintegrates and kills people.

Rahul
Yes, these factors too need to be considered.

The engine can also be stopped by opening the engine hood and blocking the air intake with a big piece of cloth, properly held in place.
Old 25th January 2016, 09:31   #303
BHPian

Warming up your car

This article recommends against warming your car through idling and recommends driving straight away. Experts?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-harms-engine/
Cowardly Lion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 09:43   #304
BHPian

Re: Warming up your car

Well, the explanation sounds convincing.

In my case, I always try to warm the engine up for a minute and then start off in the morning.
Gears shifts and the ride as a whole is smooth comparatively when the engine is at optimum temperature.
Old 25th January 2016, 09:45   #305
Team-BHP Support

I have no clue as to what the article is trying to say, but I do idle as my car is equipped with a turbo, as most cars are. Related thread

Secondly, when ever I fire the car or my bike, it takes at least 10 seconds for the car to get back to its idle rpm, at least in winters, so I don't over do it but yes, I do idle while starting & while parking the car.

I don't idle a NA engine while shutting down. But sometimes the ECU is over enthusiastic varying the revs [have seen this in a Nano] so let it settle down a bit.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 10:40   #306
BHPian

Be it summer or winter, I idle my car as well as bike (both NA) for 45-60 seconds in the morning and take the first 4-5 km steady with no outbursts at all. At night/parking time, I do the idling thingy again for 30 odd seconds on both.

I guess, the author of the post meant to say that prolonged idling is bad.
Old 25th January 2016, 10:59   #307
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it better to drive slowly in the first minute (without turbo), rather than wasting fuel for idling 30 seconds?
Old 25th January 2016, 11:14   #308
mxh
BHPian

I generally enter the car, start the engine, wear my belt, turn on the stereo and AC and drive away. I guess it's around 30s? I remember reading an article that also talked of the additional pollution and wasted gas caused due to so many cars idling when they start up. I think I read somewhere in the Honda manual that no idling is required, get in the car and drive away.
Old 25th January 2016, 11:23   #309
Senior - BHPian

"The best thing is to start your car, take a minute to knock the ice off your Windows, and drive". ( Paragraph 5, last line of the article).

That is a minute of idling right there, which is what most people do anyway, or at the most two minutes. I don't catch the point they are trying to make, unless they mean extended idling during severe winters.
Old 25th January 2016, 12:01   #310
BHPian

In US, I never idled my Civic. Start and go, and drove it for more than 130,000 miles and never had any issue. Of course, the first few minutes would anyway be sedate driving, but there was no reason to idle, and the user manual too didn't mention that idling was required.
Old 25th January 2016, 12:44   #311
Senior - BHPian

I think its best to refer to your car manual. The advice given there should be your gospel truth and indisputable.

For e.g the Innova car manual advises against idle and asks the driver to start moving immediately after firing the engine, though keeping sure that the rpm is not too high or too low within the different gears.

This is what I have been doing, I keep an eye on the rpm needle, and as soon as I feel the engine is sufficiently warmed up, I drive normally. But I have never idled the Innova.

And i have pointed this out to so many taxi drivers and Innova owners not to idle when starting the engine, but most don't agree. Its contrary to their reasoning.

Last edited by rrsteer : 25th January 2016 at 12:45.
Old 25th January 2016, 13:47   #312
BHPian

I have a Dec-2014 Polo GT Tdi which is used sparingly (parked in the stilt) and till date it has clocked 1283 Kms. I have this practice of idling the car (every 10-15 days) till temperature reaches 90 degrees. Is this ok or should I discontinue this
Old 25th January 2016, 13:49   #313
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-off-2.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rged-cars.html
Old 23rd March 2016, 08:53   #314
BHPian

Can someone comment on the New Vento's TSI TurboCharger, whether its Oil Cooled or Water Cooled?
Old 26th March 2016, 01:02   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Rider View Post
I have a Dec-2014 Polo GT Tdi which is used sparingly (parked in the stilt) and till date it has clocked 1283 Kms. I have this practice of idling the car (every 10-15 days) till temperature reaches 90 degrees. Is this ok or should I discontinue this
Well you need to stop it. The technical argument given is that if you let your car warm up on idle then the engine spends more time in the cold zone. However if you start driving after starting, albeit mildly, then the engine warms up faster and consequently the engine spends less time in the cold zone.

The main point is that there is always an unfavourable condition when the engine is started after a considerable time. So the aim is to reduce the damage to minimum.

A lot of manufacturer manuals these days state clearly to start driving off straight away. If the makers are telling you that then I would like to believe them.

Last edited by firstguri : 26th March 2016 at 01:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks