Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2013, 11:40   #16

Thanks for all the feedback members. Latest update on the ordeal I am going through with Volkswagen and PPS Motors. Got my car back on Saturday Apr 6. They said the clutch plate was replaced. However no documentary evidence was provided, despite my asking. They said it was done as a matter of goodwill so won't show up as a warranty replacement, but said they can show me the old part. I believed them. I had to pay labour on clutch overhaul and washing for Rs. 5674. Drove the car about 155 Kms. since then, and this morning while driving to work, the clutch pedal got depressed inside, and I lost clutch completely!! It was an absolute nightmare getting the car to the side of the road at 10 in the morning!

Called the VW assistance guys and the service centre, a towing vehicle came in about 30 mins and a technician was also sent. The technician said its likely something o do with the slave cylinder. As if spending two weeks in the service centre wasn't enough, the cars gone back. I cannot understand how something like this can happen with a brand new vehicle.

Will update the next set of developments. Intend to talk to VW directly. Left a complaint with them last week itself, but not a soul has reverted.
Old 10th April 2013, 13:27   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1 month old VW Jetta & Burning smell : Dealer says pay up for a new clutch!

I suspect that the cylinder was faulty leading to clutch burn(clutch not fully engaging). They have cheated you of 5600rs, and now will try to cheat you again.
Old 10th April 2013, 14:35   #18
BANNED

Sad, but no too surprising. After all Skoda and VW are the same bunch, and your car probably shared the assembly line with Skoda.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 15:00   #19
BHPian

I do not understand the good will gesture from the workshop when they asked you to pay >5k under labour charges, had they taken complete ownership of this and got it replaced with no additional charges to you, it still would have been understandable.

Secondly even of their soo called good will gesture problem resolving techniques, the car failed - not sure what kind of diagnostic they did when the car was with them for soo many days.
I think you should ask them to give a detailed explaination of how they arrived at the fault and their solution approach which again failed in a matter of few days - root cause analysis.

Also what is their approach now when this is happened yet again with a new car which is a premium product of their stable.
Old 10th April 2013, 15:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilD View Post
They said the clutch plate was replaced. However no documentary evidence was provided, despite my asking. They said it was done as a matter of goodwill so won't show up as a warranty replacement, but said they can show me the old part.
This is Bull. Sorry bro, you have been cheated.

When a part is changed, there should be a record of the same and 'Zero' billing i.e. the replaced part number and name should be mentioned in the bill and the price would be Zero. This is a record for you, spares department, company. Since they have not given any document stating the same, clearly means they showed you someother worn out clutch plate and made away with your money.

Take this up with the dealer/ VW. And thanks for sharing this, the more stories I hear, I feel nice of the anti-VW/ Skoda stand I have taken since the day I read Harish's thread.

Goodluck for the long and frustrating ordeal ahead.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 16:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nikhil,

Did you check for any error codes on the VAS? Though they showed you the worn out clutch plate, how would you ascertain its from your vehicle? Did they give you the worn out clutch plate to take home?

I also had a similar experience with my Laura, where the service manager told me the BCM is damaged while the SC told me the central electrics module is damaged and showed me the replacement part, which was actually the CAN gateway. I then got the car repaired from Vagtune, cochin.

I would suggest you to take your car to some other multibranded workshop and have it checked.

The VW folks could be dishing out money or stealing parts from your car and giving to someone else.

If you have all your service records that is more than proof in your favour!

Last edited by nitinbose : 10th April 2013 at 16:21.
Old 10th April 2013, 16:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Oh. This is not good. Since you have driven for so many years, it surely looks like its a manufacturing defect. Be at it and don't settle for anything less than a warranty replacement.
Old 10th April 2013, 17:12   #23
BHPian

Nikhil, Agree with the views before.

1. They have shown you some part and no documents to prove what they have done. No company, which is maintaining records can do this as they need to maintain records to show to whom anything is sold.

2. Clutch burnout in less than 1K? Cannot be; simply because to burn out a good clutch (with good driving habits am sure you would have), you should have been riding half clutch from first KM! (Even in half clutches, it is a feat that would be difficult to acheive!

3. If clutch is indeed the issue, how did you get into another clutch issue within next 200 KMs? In second case, either the problem is with clutch plate or with workmanship. In first case, what is the guarantee the first clutch plate was good? If second case, how can one trust the judgement when one's replacement causes an issue in 200 KMs?!

Which ever way one can think of, it seems to conclude that you are cheated (by the company / dealer / SAs is another topic, but a customer does not and should not differentiate faults among these three).

It is simply unacceptable to have these issues in first 1000 KMs! I suggest you ask them to fix all of the issues with a letter of guarantee / quality assurance from VW/dealer.

It is important to have these documented some place. One cannot trust companies playing these games; if they can do so much with a new car, sky would be the limit with a old (say 50K down the line) car!

PS: If the issue of having these in service records happens when you sell the car, but that comes only after you owning it till such a time!
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 17:16   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sad to read about your harrowing experience.

My 'new' car is two years old and I still get excited every time I get to drive it. My heart sinks when I hear of such incidents happening to a new car within one month of ownership.

This is a 20L car we are talking about, not small change. How can VW be so casual about it? The car is in warranty, a component has failed. Just replace it, no questions asked that's it. Where is the question of goodwill, when the car is still within warranty? It is your right to get the faulty part replaced. They are not doing you any favour here.

After reading your last post I feel they have plucked out parts from some old/ accident car and fitted it on your car to get you to go away.

I suggest you keep writing to VW customer care. Send them a link to this thread. Who know's somebody with some iota of sense in VW may resolve this issue for you.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 10th April 2013 at 17:20.
Old 11th April 2013, 00:04   #25

Thanks Guys. I intend to write to VW. Have already put together the entire chronology of events. Will share with the group how that goes.

Btw, got the vehicle back at 6pm today. Checked the job card at the service centre which said they bled the clutch. Spoke to a technician while doing a test drive, he said they missed fitting a clip on the slave!! (if thats true, i cannot believe the lax QC in place) but i don't trust anybody now. Gave a piece of my mind to the PPS Motors service administrators.

The clutch feels better, but after this ordeal, am getting paranoid about when the clutch will give way while am driving. Will clock a few Kms, and check how it's doing. pulling together material, including this thread that I will share with VW. Thinking of legal recourse too.
Old 12th April 2013, 21:58   #26
BHPian

Nikhil It would be a good idea to post this On their facebook page too. Lot of prospective customers visit their facebook page and they should know what VW service is all about. they might get pro-active in getting your car fixed to avoid embarrassment.
Old 16th April 2013, 01:17   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Nikhil It would be a good idea to post this On their facebook page too. Lot of prospective customers visit their facebook page and they should know what VW service is all about. they might get pro-active in getting your car fixed to avoid embarrassment.
Yeah. I dropped a message on their Facebook page, but they need to approve it only then would it get published. They however sent me a private message with a link to register a formal complaint. I promptly dropped it, but not a soul has reverted back. I also tweeted on their official India twitter handle along with a link of this thread. They said they will get in touch with me, but that also hasn't happened yet. I ve been traveling a bit, but will drop more messages to try get VWs attention on the web..
Old 16th April 2013, 10:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilD View Post
Yeah. I dropped a message on their Facebook page, but they need to approve it only then would it get published. They however sent me a private message with a link to register a formal complaint. I promptly dropped it, but not a soul has reverted back. I also tweeted on their official India twitter handle along with a link of this thread. They said they will get in touch with me, but that also hasn't happened yet. I ve been traveling a bit, but will drop more messages to try get VWs attention on the web..
I just posted the link to this thread on the VW India facebook page. It went public. You can comment on it. My facebook name is Amit Kalra
Old 16th April 2013, 11:48   #29
BHPian

Some people have commented on the link to this thread on the VW facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/Volkswagenin...=share_comment
Old 16th April 2013, 22:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Some people have commented on the link to this thread on the VW facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/Volkswagenin...=share_comment
Thanks Amit. Haven't heard from VW yet :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks