Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2015, 13:29   #61
BHPian

BMW vs Mercedes vs Audi - Long term reliability & running cost

Having gone through many segment comparisons between these 3 brands, the best car choice in each segment keeps on varying based on the year and how updated the model is.

For example - in the luxury entry sedan segment back in the year 2012 - the new BMW F30 was the best choice (which is why I bought it then), in the year 2015 - the all new C class is the clear segment winner. Next year, probably the new A4 or XE might give good competition to C class.

There are die hard BMW fans, there are many people who say "Mercedes only" but we still see more Audi's on the road (possibly because of aggressive sales team, discounts). I have yet to come across die hard Audi fans who only stick to Audi as a brand.

Luxury cars (all 3 German brands and Jaguar/Land Rover) have been around in India for a while now. I would like to know if we can compare the long term reliability of cars in each brand, the running cost & after sales services. Are there any clear winners or loosers in each segment or is it more of a hit or miss kind of situation?

We don't have Lexus in India yet, which is a clear winner across the globe. The Jaguar/Land Rover reliability & after sales service is not something to be proud of, and for the same reason I would put them below the 3 German brands.

I have only owned a 3 series and driven it 90K in 3 years. I have been pretty happy with it so far. But I don't have the luxury to spend another 50 lakh to test out and compare Audi & Mercedes with BMW over long run.

Hence, I would like to read some detailed comparisons between these 3 brands - BMW, Audi and Mercedes based on the criteria I set out 1) Reliability 2) Running Cost 3) After sales service.

P.S. This is my first message on this wonderful forum which I have been following for last few years.
JoyPangli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 15:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW vs Mercedes vs Audi - Long term reliability & running cost

If it's just reliability , it would be as in the order below.

BMW > Mercedes > Audi > Jaguar >/= Range Rover

Running Costs would be as below. BMW and Mercedes would be cheaper since they have the service packages.

BMW = Mercedes < Audi < Jaguar </= Range Rover

I think you should create a Poll for the same.
stanjohn123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 16:27   #63
BHPian

For Reliability:
BMW>Merc>Audi>Jag>RR

For Running costs:
Same as above

So, basically, BMW seems to be triumphant on both accounts over the years of its presence in India

Am myself been driving 520d for more than 2years, can surely vouch for the above.
RickyC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 02:03   #64
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyPangli View Post
Hence, I would like to read some detailed comparisons between these 3 brands - BMW, Audi and Mercedes based on the criteria I set out 1) Reliability 2) Running Cost 3) After sales service.

P.S. This is my first message on this wonderful forum which I have been following for last few years.
Welcome to the Forum !!
First of all in reliability, I would say as long as you keep driving your cars and not park them for long periods, they'd all run well. IMO things go wrong mostly for people who park their cars and not drive them.

But to rate them-
BMW>Audi>Mercedes>Volvo>jaguar/Range Rover

Running costs-
BMW>Audi>Volvo>Mercedes>Jaguar/Range Rover

After Sales-
Audi>BMW>Mercedes>Jaguar/Range Rover/Volvo

I'm a die hard BMW fan, though Audi is close second. Mercedes has seen many changes in 2015, service team has been doing their job properly, sales team provides all the help they can. Although their prices for regular service is much more than other two. Jaguar is useless at the moment and not much can be expected anytime soon. Volvo is just managing somehow, but I feel they are also working to improve Sales/Aftersales, unlike Jaguar/Land Rover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Running Costs would be as below. BMW and Mercedes would be cheaper since they have the service packages.

BMW = Mercedes < Audi < Jaguar </= Range Rover
Audi also provides Service Packages since three years now, although not comprehensive, all wear and tear parts aren't included.
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 21:05   #65
BHPian

Re: Cheapest to maintain? Mercedes vs BMW vs Audi

So, from the replies I figure that BMW is one of the more reliable options in the luxury car segment with Mercedes coming in close 2nd. May be the new generation of Mercedes vehicles starting with C class and S class would be huge improvements in terms of reliability over the previous generation.

The service cost of most of the brands would be more or less in line with each other for each segment. The car that breaks down less, or has less technical/mechanical issues would be the cheapest to maintain, I guess.
Old 1st December 2015, 05:59   #66
Senior - BHPian

Mods,
Can we add a poll to this thread? Would be great if those who have a relation with audi/merc/bmw can chirp in and then we can see who is the most reliable and easiest to maintain of this lot.

I have so far heard that bmw is the most reliable of the 3 germans but a poll would be of great help to others as well.
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:47   #67
BHPian

I believe petrol cars are cheaper to maintain, and cheaper to buy second hand for European models Like Petrol Merc and Audi is cheaper to buy second hand.
Old 14th July 2016, 17:04   #68

So, if I may humbly summarise:

Buy a 2011 3.2l Audi A4, quattro for 15-16 L, with less than 50k on the clock. Expect 25-35K scheduled maintenance and keep 2-4L in the bank for parts replacements/failures over the course of the next five years of ownership.

Also, keep a spare car handy for when the Audi is in the shop?

The real question here is should one go for a all new skoda octavia or try and squeeze in a used audi/BMW/merc for the same cost of ownership?
Old 14th July 2016, 17:31   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think there is anything to beat BMW's Service Inclusive Plus / Ultimate packages.

1 lump sum payment at the start and you're all set for 5 years / 100,000 kms. These packages include lubes, filters and regular maintenance items....yes, but also brake pads, wiper blades and indirectly, an extended warranty on the car!

The premium Europeans have a very shoddy reliability record. There's no other way to own one than with a comprehensive package like BMW's 5 year coverage.
True. The BSI / Secure combo played a very big part for me when I picked BMW. To get me over my hesitation of buying my first big German brand car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Audi also offers 5 year / 100,000 km service plans now.
I hope they honor it with honesty though. I am just so cynical of all things VAG.
Old 29th March 2017, 14:02   #70
BHPian

An update on the BMW X1 which is now about to be sold after a 4.5 year run.

I did not take the BSI although I did take an extended 4 year warranty
Unlike most folks on the forum, I would not recommend BSI solely because the maintenance came to be much lower than that for me

After the first service @25K for an oil change + air filter + cabin filter , I switched to ordering and replacing the latter two on my own (OEM filters come for around 3-3.5K for both and changing them is ten minute job)
Thus subsequent services costs dropped significantly (oil changes are approx 10K and while that too can be done outside, I chose not to because cost delta for that is minimal)

The only other major maintenance job was brake pad and brake oil change
I opted to order OEM Textars myself and got them replaced for around 12-13K post which I got the brake oil replaced for 8K from the workshop (instead of the official 45-50K bill)

So all in all, I probably spent 70-80K on maintenance over ~5 years (and 50 odd K on new tyres)

Also, should add that am Extremely happy with the service from Bavaria motors in Pune.
My service adviser in fact called me before the warranty expiry suggesting I send the car in for a thorough checkup.
They spotted some leakage that had started to happen in the front struts so they replaced the front suspension under warranty.

All in all, quite happy with BMW .

Last edited by abhi182 : 29th March 2017 at 14:07.
abhi182 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 23:16   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
An update on the BMW X1 which is now about to be sold after a 4.5 year run.

I did not take the BSI although I did take an extended 4 year warranty
Unlike most folks on the forum, I would not recommend BSI solely because the maintenance came to be much lower than that for me

After the first service @25K for an oil change + air filter + cabin filter , I switched to ordering and replacing the latter two on my own (OEM filters come for around 3-3.5K for both and changing them is ten minute job)
Thus subsequent services costs dropped significantly (oil changes are approx 10K and while that too can be done outside, I chose not to because cost delta for that is minimal)

The only other major maintenance job was brake pad and brake oil change
I opted to order OEM Textars myself and got them replaced for around 12-13K post which I got the brake oil replaced for 8K from the workshop (instead of the official 45-50K bill)

So all in all, I probably spent 70-80K on maintenance over ~5 years (and 50 odd K on new tyres)

Also, should add that am Extremely happy with the service from Bavaria motors in Pune.
My service adviser in fact called me before the warranty expiry suggesting I send the car in for a thorough checkup.
They spotted some leakage that had started to happen in the front struts so they replaced the front suspension under warranty.

All in all, quite happy with BMW .
Hello Abhi

Good to know that you were happy with your machine. What was the odo when u parted with it?

Well I had the same feeling with my e90 3 series. I did get the brake pads and rotors replaced from outside but my services were always at BMW workshops. Sold it after 4 yrs at 70k km.

Service bills should have been less than 2 lac. A decent machine if serviced outside BMW.

Presently I have a W212 facelift which has only been to Mercedes workshops.
Its just back after the 60k km service with a monetary damage of 80k.

Expensive I must say.

Happy motoring
Old 31st March 2017, 01:32   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-E250 View Post
Hello Abhi

Good to know that you were happy with your machine. What was the odo when u parted with it?

Well I had the same feeling with my e90 3 series. I did get the brake pads and rotors replaced from outside but my services were always at BMW workshops. Sold it after 4 yrs at 70k km.

Service bills should have been less than 2 lac. A decent machine if serviced outside BMW.

Presently I have a W212 facelift which has only been to Mercedes workshops.
Its just back after the 60k km service with a monetary damage of 80k.

Expensive I must say.

Happy motoring
45K is what it is at... still hunting for a suitable replacement
The best I have found so far is unfortunately the new X1 (f48) in the 4wd variant
Unfortunate because the better half refuses to let me spend all that extra money to get what appears to be the same car..sigh!

If I may ask, what was the ask you got for your e90 ?

80K is a bit much for the 60K service- What did it include?

On a side note, In general, I feel its optimal to stick to the company workshop for fluid changes while other regular (and simple ) replacements are best done via self sourcing

Last edited by abhi182 : 31st March 2017 at 01:33.
Old 31st March 2017, 02:20   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
45K is what it is at... still hunting for a suitable replacement
The best I have found so far is unfortunately the new X1 (f48) in the 4wd variant
Unfortunate because the better half refuses to let me spend all that extra money to get what appears to be the same car..sigh!

If I may ask, what was the ask you got for your e90 ?

80K is a bit much for the 60K service- What did it include?

On a side note, In general, I feel its optimal to stick to the company workshop for fluid changes while other regular (and simple ) replacements are best done via self sourcing

Hi
For an April 2010 e90 with 72000 km, I had it traded for 15.5 lac when I bought the E class.
Well the 60k km service includes change of transmission fluid.
First 15k km the service bill was around Rs 37k
At 30k : Rs 45k
At 45k : Rs 37k
I did go in for the service only package after my 3 rd service so was covered on the whole

I do agree on this, of replacing the fluids at the workshop. In fact I switched over to Brembo Brake pads since the stocks were wearing off every 10k kms
E90-E250 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 22:03   #74
BHPian

If we are using after-market brakepads will it effect the car warranty from Mercedes?
Old 31st March 2017, 22:38   #75
BHPian

The warranty does not get void.
My car has just come back after service and accidental repair.
So far so good

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks