Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2021, 14:37   #91
BHPian

Re: Cheapest to maintain? Mercedes vs BMW vs Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinmj5 View Post
Hi. I’m deciding between buying the Audi Q2 and the BMW X1. This car is for my parents, so they’re looking for a small car with a premium badge.

The service package on the Q2 is more than two time the price of the service package on the X1. Seems a bit extreme to me.

Any inputs would be really helpful. Thank you!
The Q2 is a CBU import whereas the X1 is assembled in India - Q2 is a niche model so parts/spares/maintenance will definitely be more expensive.

In general, the Audi service packages are slightly more than BMWs i believe( especially if bought within the first 30 days of purchase), but between these two models, the X1 will no doubt be the more economical to maintain.

Also if they are to be chauffeur driven, forget the Q2
Old 21st November 2021, 15:38   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
The Q2 is a CBU import whereas the X1 is assembled in India - Q2 is a niche model so parts/spares/maintenance will definitely be more expensive.

In general, the Audi service packages are slightly more than BMWs i believe( especially if bought within the first 30 days of purchase), but between these two models, the X1 will no doubt be the more economical to maintain.

Also if they are to be chauffeur driven, forget the Q2
Thanks for the reply.

I asked Audi about whether the spare parts would be expensive given the Q2 is a CBU. They’re saying the same engine is used for the Q3, Q5, A4, A6, and a few others cars in the Skoda/VW garage as well. So given its wide use, they claim parts availability won’t be an issue and in fact will be cheaper since it has such a wide usage across cars. Is there any truth to that? They said parts for Audi/Skoda/VW are all imported together, so their freight cost is lower as well.

The car would be mostly chauffeur driven. But we tried out both cars and they felt the seat comfort was actually better in the Q2. They’re both quite short, so they felt the lower legroom wasn’t a concern in the Q2. Apart from the legroom, is there any other reason to avoid the Q2 compared to the X1 as a chauffeur driven car? Seats wise, I also felt the Q2 seats were better shaped and more comfortable in the Q2 at both the front and rear (ignoring leg room and head room). The smaller size of the Q2 made it easier for my dad to drive for the times when he would be as well.
Old 21st November 2021, 16:44   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinmj5 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I asked Audi about whether the spare parts would be expensive given the Q2 is a CBU. They’re saying the same engine is used for the Q3, Q5, A4, A6, and a few others cars in the Skoda/VW garage as well. So given its wide use, they claim parts availability won’t be an issue and in fact will be cheaper since it has such a wide usage across cars. Is there any truth to that?
Well yes the engine is the same, but body panels, lights, electricals, possibly some interior switches, ICE etc will be unique. If not expensive, the wait times will certainly be higher. By rule of thumb expect slightly more service/maintenance costs and spare procurement time for CBUs

Quote:
The car would be mostly chauffeur driven. But we tried out both cars and they felt the seat comfort was actually better in the Q2. They’re both quite short, so they felt the lower legroom wasn’t a concern in the Q2. Apart from the legroom, is there any other reason to avoid the Q2 compared to the X1 as a chauffeur driven car?
If they've already sat in the rear seat and are comfortable then no issues

It's just that the rear seat is fairly cramped compared to an X1.

It's a good car otherwise! Powerful engine, fast gearbox and AWD! It is more of an enthusiast's car though.

Do check out the GLA too if budget permits
Old 21st November 2021, 21:01   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Well yes the engine is the same, but body panels, lights, electricals, possibly some interior switches, ICE etc will be unique. If not expensive, the wait times will certainly be higher. By rule of thumb expect slightly more service/maintenance costs and spare procurement time for CBUs

If they've already sat in the rear seat and are comfortable then no issues

It's just that the rear seat is fairly cramped compared to an X1.

It's a good car otherwise! Powerful engine, fast gearbox and AWD! It is more of an enthusiast's car though.

Do check out the GLA too if budget permits
Makes sense about the availability of parts not related to the engine. Audi told me that it’s a government mandate that all companies have to make parts available for 15 years from the end of when a car is sold in India. Is that true? If it is, does it only mandate availability without any regulation on wait times?

Apart from the fact that it’s a CBU, how does the maintenance cost of Audi compare to BMW in general?

The rear seat size and height I felt is similar to the X1, but you’re right the leg room and head room is lower. The seat contour and comfort though is really well done in the Audi and easily beats the X1 in that aspect. I felt this compensated a bit for the lack of legroom. It didn’t have rear AC vents though (sigh).

We saw the GLA and loved it, but the lack of a rear center armrest was a deal breaker. I think that’s a big omission, especially given it’s cousin the A limousine has it.
Old 30th March 2024, 10:18   #95
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Re: BMW vs Mercedes vs Audi - Long term reliability & running cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
Welcome to the Forum !!
First of all in reliability, I would say as long as you keep driving your cars and not park them for long periods, they'd all run well. IMO things go wrong mostly for people who park their cars and not drive them.

But to rate them-
BMW>Audi>Mercedes>Volvo>jaguar/Range Rover

Running costs-
BMW>Audi>Volvo>Mercedes>Jaguar/Range Rover

After Sales-
Audi>BMW>Mercedes>Jaguar/Range Rover/Volvo
I am after for a pre-owned luxury segment car too. Are these ratings still valid in 2024?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks