Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2006, 00:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Among the 1600 catagory Palio would be the second fastest after the city vtec.
Old 1st June 2006, 01:03   #17
anupam9055

i think the baleno in the 1.6 segment is fast.
but the honda city type2 vtec is faster

Old 1st June 2006, 11:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Has ACI tested NHC VTec till 190kmph? I somewhere read that they never pushed it beyond 172kmph. Or was it Overdrive? Please confirm.
That was OD, because they were not able to push it beyond that limit. Both ACI and BSM claimed to have pushed the NHC VTEC to 190 kmph.

Quote:
Ofcourse, stability at 190 is a totally diff story.
Amen, on anything less than a perfect road, I wouldnt have the guts to take it beyond 180 - have done only 170 kmph myself till now.
Old 1st June 2006, 12:40   #19
rks
BANNED

Ideal police chase vehicle?

Just read the thread on police vehicles. It struck me that in Indian cities, one of these vehicles in the 1.4-1.6 lit category will probably be the ideal police chase vehicle. Any guesses on which one would be the best?

On the highway, I would guess that something like Skoda Octavia RS will rule. But I think it is a tad too big for Indian city conditions. The police ideal chase vehicle should be sturdy enough to take some serious ramming, but at the same time be able to chase a Zen or Xing or Alto 1.1 on narrow Indian city roads; hence should be fast and highly maneuverable as well and not too big.

So how about a Fiat Palio/Petra 1.6? Or maybe even a modified Esteem?
Regards, rks
Old 1st June 2006, 13:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Just read the thread on police vehicles. It struck me that in Indian cities, one of these vehicles in the 1.4-1.6 lit category will probably be the ideal police chase vehicle. Any guesses on which one would be the best?

On the highway, I would guess that something like Skoda Octavia RS will rule. But I think it is a tad too big for Indian city conditions. The police ideal chase vehicle should be sturdy enough to take some serious ramming, but at the same time be able to chase a Zen or Xing or Alto 1.1 on narrow Indian city roads; hence should be fast and highly maneuverable as well and not too big.

Regards, rks
dude...does india even need a chase vehicle?our almighty cows,cycles,dogs,rickshaws,trunken truckers are more than enough to end a chase of max 20 kmph in no time......fortunately or unfortunately we just dont have the roads for a decent chase....so why spend the tax payers money on chase vehicles....just give the police mopeds...thats all they deserve....
Old 1st June 2006, 13:32   #21
BANNED

Chase vehicles are ok for the highway I guess. In some states like Goa they use Esteems called "Interceptors".

For city chases the best thing is a quick bike like the RX 100. Cars are pretty useless.
Old 1st June 2006, 14:13   #22
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Chase vehicles are ok for the highway I guess. In some states like Goa they use Esteems called "Interceptors".

For city chases the best thing is a quick bike like the RX 100. Cars are pretty useless.
You are probably right. A fast bike would do to catch most (but not all) of the usual offenders like traffic signal jumpers and so on -- these are not professional crooks. But in some cases at least, police might need to chase in cities with cars when violent, professional thugs are invovled-- a planned robbery is one such scenario. Or say, with the increasing terrorist threat in our major cities, it is quite possible that terrorists fire gun shots at a local politician and take off in a car in crowded city roads. I don't think it would be safe to chase these guys in a bike -- they could ram the bike and flee, or even take shots at the biker.

Also, you can carry equipment (say weapons, communications equipment) and people (to do the communicating or shooting) in cars, but not bikes. This scenario may sound far-fetched, but I don't think it will be in the future. Lack of proper police patrolling of our roads, is, in my opinion, one of the major reasons for poor law enforcement.
Regards, rks
Old 1st June 2006, 14:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
He'll reach next city and commit next crime by the time Police takes U turn in Palio/Petra on narrow by-lanes.
Old 1st June 2006, 15:10   #24
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
He'll reach next city and commit next crime by the time Police takes U turn in Palio/Petra on narrow by-lanes.
So what is your suggestion then? I am not very familiar with most of these cars, so I could have gone wrong.

Maybe the solution is to modify moderately sized sturdy cars like Petra/Palio to improve handling in city conditions. But can you mess with stuff like turning radius???
Regards, rks
Old 1st June 2006, 15:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Maybe the solution is to modify moderately sized sturdy cars like Petra/Palio to improve handling in city conditions. But can you mess with stuff like turning radius???
I really don't know what the solution can be. As someone said, for City, it should be bikes and on highway, you can have Petra/Palio. Their place is on highways. Fast and stable!
P.S.: There is absolutely no handling issue with Petra or Palio. They handle super.
Old 1st June 2006, 15:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
So what is your suggestion then? I am not very familiar with most of these cars, so I could have gone wrong.

Regards, rks
A maruti 800 with a Baleno engine....
Old 1st June 2006, 15:37   #27
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
A maruti 800 with a Baleno engine....
Good one. Maybe something that is a better handler and slightly sturdier and safer than Maruti 800 would be needed for a police car.
Regards, rks
Old 1st June 2006, 15:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks

Regards, rks

Come on guys... i think we're discussing something totally far from being meaningful. firstly, regular passenger cars are misfits in our gulleys that pass for roads. india was never designed for cars. it's miraculous that people actually get anywhere in cars.

let's not watch english movie chases and import ideas. india is a different story.

no police cars please. we need police first. lets drop the topic and talk something interesting.
Old 1st June 2006, 15:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

... Yeah.. here WE chase the Police!!
Old 1st June 2006, 16:12   #30
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere
Come on guys... i think we're discussing something totally far from being meaningful. firstly, regular passenger cars are misfits in our gulleys that pass for roads. india was never designed for cars. it's miraculous that people actually get anywhere in cars.
You certainly are a pessimist. And way behind the times, even for India. I actually get from Mumbai to Pune (174 kms) in times varying from 2 to 2.5 hours in my old, under-powered Santro. Whereas, once upon a time, this journey took anywhere from 4.5 to 7 hours.

Quote:
let's not watch english movie chases and import ideas. india is a different story.
Times are changing. There are very fast cars in India and the crooks are getting more sophisticated, but our police vehicles are out-dated and rotten. What people don't realize is that proper patrolling of our roads will not only help in catching crooks; it will also deter crime.

Quote:
no police cars please. we need police first. lets drop the topic and talk something interesting.
OK, if you insist.
Regards, rks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks