Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 20:34   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Issues with the Maruti 90 BHP DDiS engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
IIRC, there is a replacement schedule of 100000 Kms for the timing chain, but not too sure about it.
For Fiat Linea 60k is the replacement interval for Timing chain. Why is the same engine having different service interval when plonked inside a Maruti Suzuki engine bay?
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 21:16   #32
BHPian

@a4anurag yes, this is the first time. Car's done time in Lahaul Spiti, interior rajasthan, uttaranchal and several other similar destinations. It's been a good ride so far!
Old 20th January 2015, 07:42   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraz View Post
@a4anurag yes, this is the first time. It's been a good ride so far!
That's great info buddy. That does say about the reliability of the car and kudos to you for you driving style + maintenance.

100K with stock internals is great this you can't complain of increasing maintenance costs.

So relax and enjoy the car. Happy mile munching.

100K service will have the timing chain replacement IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraz View Post
The engine is fine, but a recent clutch replacement, engine mounts, and some shock absorber replacements point to increasing maintenance costs.
Old 20th January 2015, 08:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
For Fiat Linea 60k is the replacement interval for Timing chain. Why is the same engine having different service interval when plonked inside a Maruti Suzuki engine bay?
I have heard that Maruti sources 1.3MJD engines from Fiat India also in addition to the engines made by themselves, to meet their increased production output.

Is it true, and if the answer is yes, then some questions do arise.
1. Whether service intervals and requirements are identical.
2. Are the problematic engines the ones supplied by Fiat India.
Old 20th January 2015, 08:43   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I have heard that Maruti sources 1.3MJD engines from Fiat India also in addition to the engines made by themselves, to meet their increased production output.

Is it true, and if the answer is yes, then some questions do arise.
1. Whether service intervals and requirements are identical.
2. Are the problematic engines the ones supplied by Fiat India.
Yes it is true, Fiat supplied engine amd Maruti Suzuki manufactures the same engine to meet demands.

1. IMO technically both should be the same.
Old 20th January 2015, 11:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes it is true, Fiat supplied engine amd Maruti Suzuki manufactures the same engine to meet demands.
How can one differentiate/identify the manufacturer of the engine one's got in his car?
Old 20th January 2015, 11:33   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

How can one differentiate/identify the manufacturer of the engine one's got in his car?
What I meant was: Fiat is the owner but Maruti Suzuki is paying money to Fiat for using the engine and also produce these engines themselves so at to meet the demand.

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th January 2015 at 11:36.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 12:49   #38
BHPian

My only complaint is that this is a catastrophic failure, not caused by rash driving or poor maintenance. In such a scenario the automaker should be held responsible. Do I have enough meat to write to Maruti about this? Thanks.
Old 20th January 2015, 18:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What I meant was: Fiat is the owner but Maruti Suzuki is paying money to Fiat for using the engine and also produce these engines themselves so at to meet the demand.
Yes exactly. I was asking how one can identify whether the engine in his car is manufactured by Maruti or Fiat.
Old 20th January 2015, 19:09   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Yes exactly. I was asking how one can identify whether the engine in his car is manufactured by Maruti or Fiat.
Also, what is suggested interval for replacement for Sx4 Diesel timing chain replacement and estimated cost.
Old 20th January 2015, 19:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
+1 .
Infact a very recent update from TASS for my TATA MANZA.
My Service advisor has recently told me that next service of 60K will also need need timing chain replacement , to which i showed him owner manual wherein it said 1lac kms , to which the SA showed me an email circular from Tata motors clearly instructing them to replace timing chain @60K and not wait for 100K kms.

So thanks to your above post, i now can believe my SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post

2. Timing chain : Now this is a bit confusing as the engine maker Fiat recommends a 60k km internal for the timing chain in their 90hp cars. However neither Tata or Maruti recommend this replacement. I wonder why the difference in replacement for a critical part for same engine from different OE's. It does not seem logical for Tata and Maruti to conduct seperate R&D on timing chain to conclude it does not need replacement in their cars. At the same time, I personally feel 60k km for a timing chain replacement is way too early. That's even less than recommended replacement interval of timing belts (mostly around 80k or 100k km's). Specific to issues mentioned by you, this could be related if the cars in question were 60k km or more.

PS: I am a user of Tata Manza Diesel which is 3.5 years and 95k km old and comes with the same engine. I did not have any issues at all with my car's engine so far.
Hi Amit , My manza has done 50K now and My SA is pushing me for timing chain replacement in next service of 60K .
He indeed showed me an email from TATA MOTORS to this effect.
I was in dilemma , Now i think i will stick to his advise , allthough i think it is arguable and i could save the moolah but now since i know that FIAT is doing the same and i intend to keep the Manza atleast till80-90-1lac Kms..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Also, what is suggested interval for replacement for Sx4 Diesel timing chain replacement and estimated cost.
TATA MOTORS has quoted me an approximate cost of Rs8000/-(the final bill is usually lesser than there original estimate)
It would be really interesting to know the cost of timing chain replacement in SX4 DDIS.

Last edited by madhu33 : 20th January 2015 at 19:23.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 19:19   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
estimated cost.
Around 9k for Timing chain kit (Cost for Linea, I hope the same should be applicable for SX4 as well)
Old 20th January 2015, 19:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Members owning Punto and Ertiga may please post the engine number of their cars to help distinguish the two. May not be possible if Maruti rechristens the Fiat sourced engines to their own system of numbering.
Old 20th January 2015, 20:02   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Members owning Punto and Ertiga may please post the engine number of their cars to help distinguish the two. May not be possible if Maruti rechristens the Fiat sourced engines to their own system of numbering.
Since we own an Ertiga ZDi, the engine number is D13A5006597
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 22:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

After thinking through this, my conclusion is that the timing of oil change is most important. In Indian traffic conditions, the MJD may not be able to survive well with just 1 oil change in an year. It may have to be reduced to 6-monthly interval. The stop-start traffic conditions and high ambient temperatures in the concrete jungles may not do the engine much good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks