Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2013, 22:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Issues with the Maruti 90 BHP DDiS engine

There are issues with DDIS's 90 bhp ones which come in SX4 and Ertiga?
I have been hearing this and lately a friends SX4's engine had to be opened up! I also have a friend whose BIL works with a dealer here and he too was advised to stay away from these.

One I spoke to now :
At 22K , new head.
At 40,000 timing belt/chain broke
Later wont go above 100; gets stuck there. Needs to switch off the car and back on.
New ECU now.

ECU change etc was done after 3 engineers came and tested the car for 3 days at their expense (they drove alot,for about 2500-3000rs worth diesel).

Will add more info after I talk to the rest.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2013 at 13:11. Reason: Updating with info from your latest post
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 22:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is that so? What is exactly the issue any idea?
I see quite a few ertiga taxis nowadays. Would be surprised if the 90 hp ddis is considered unreliable.
Old 28th September 2013, 22:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Issues with the Maruti 90 BHP DDiS engine

Can you be more specific regarding the issues?
Old 28th September 2013, 23:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Can you be more specific regarding the issues?
Engine related issues mostly and hence posted as 90bhp ones.

Only difference where a mechanic would mess that engine would be due to using wrong oil or lesser oil ( assuming 75bhp and 90 bhp uses different oil specs and quantity). I am someone who thinks service centres messes a car rather than the owner/manufacturer.
Old 28th September 2013, 23:13   #5
BHPian

DDIS is a reliable powerplant and such complaints/problems are generally rare. Once, an acquaintance of mine had his SX4's engine opened up, only to find a problem in crankshaft of the engine, and this was followed by a long argument, which led to the sale of car after repairs. But, I'd like if you could elucidate further on what problems your friend's SX4 had? Most likely, It seems to be a clear case of 'stuck-with-a-lemon'!

A related thread:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...8-000-kms.html

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Last edited by S@ndy : 28th September 2013 at 23:15.
Old 28th September 2013, 23:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

This is the first time I am hearing of this.

But I will not worry just yet, at least till there is more information available on such cases.
Old 28th September 2013, 23:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Only difference where a mechanic would mess that engine would be due to using wrong oil or lesser oil ( assuming 75bhp and 90 bhp uses different oil specs and quantity). I am someone who thinks service centres messes a car rather than the owner/manufacturer.
Underfilling or overfilling the engine oil is detrimental, but thats not really an issue related to the Ertiga 90bhp engine. Thread title seems to be misleading.
Old 29th September 2013, 00:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Here is one Ertiga for which half engine has been replaced for an oil leak. Does this have any relation?
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 08:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You could be right. Fellow bhpian hkanitkar's brand new SX4 engine had to be opened up because something broke inside. I am not sure of the details of work that was carried out but it did visit the workshop within a few weeks of delivery.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 09:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What problems? 90PS first came out in the Linea's in 2009.
And no such problems have been reported,apart from the fact,that Fiat pushed a 60K replacement schedule for the timing chain.And both use similar oil quantity and oil specifications.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 29th September 2013 at 09:03.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 09:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I have been hearing this and lately a friends SX4's engine had to be opened up! I also have a friend whose BIL works with a dealer here and he too was advised to stay away from these.
jkdas - is it possible to get the specifics of the issues you are referring to? In the absence of details, the discussion in this thread will be very generic as there does not seem to specific common issues in 90hp Maruti engine. It's an established fact that 75hp Fiat 1.3L Multijet is quite reliable. 90hp engine (as far as I know), has 2 key differences which can if not taken care of can potentially cause issues.

1. VGT instead of FGT, essentially mandating the use of synthetic 5W40 grade engine oil. While FGT can do with 15W40, 90hp requires 5W40. Fiat and Tata using the 90hp engine recommend this in their cars. But I am not so sure of Maruti. From various threads on the forum (can't remember specific one's), I remember some MASS using normal 15W40 oil in SX4 or Ertiga diesel, just like they use in Swift. So if the issues you are refering to are related to Turbo, may be are for this reason.

2. Timing chain : Now this is a bit confusing as the engine maker Fiat recommends a 60k km internal for the timing chain in their 90hp cars. However neither Tata or Maruti recommend this replacement. I wonder why the difference in replacement for a critical part for same engine from different OE's. It does not seem logical for Tata and Maruti to conduct seperate R&D on timing chain to conclude it does not need replacement in their cars. At the same time, I personally feel 60k km for a timing chain replacement is way too early. That's even less than recommended replacement interval of timing belts (mostly around 80k or 100k km's). Specific to issues mentioned by you, this could be related if the cars in question were 60k km or more.

PS: I am a user of Tata Manza Diesel which is 3.5 years and 95k km old and comes with the same engine. I did not have any issues at all with my car's engine so far.
amit1234singla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 08:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
jkdas -

2. Timing chain : Now this is a bit confusing as the engine maker Fiat recommends a 60k km internal for the timing chain in their 90hp cars. However neither Tata or Maruti recommend this replacement. I wonder why the difference in replacement for a critical part for same engine from different OE's. It does not seem logical for Tata and Maruti to conduct seperate R&D on timing chain to conclude it does not need replacement in their cars. At the same time, I personally feel 60k km for a timing chain replacement is way too early. That's even less than recommended replacement interval of timing belts (mostly around 80k or 100k km's). Specific to issues mentioned by you, this could be related if the cars in question were 60k km or more.

PS: I am a user of Tata Manza Diesel which is 3.5 years and 95k km old and comes with the same engine. I did not have any issues at all with my car's engine so far.
If I remember correctly, Maruti doesnot recommend change of Timing Chains. Infact I had read in a brochure or something that the DDIS engine is equipped with timing chains (as compared to timing belts in Multijet Engine) which lasts the life of an engine. This was a Maruti customization which they had done to prolong the life of engine.
Old 30th September 2013, 09:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
If I remember correctly, Maruti doesnot recommend change of Timing Chains. Infact I had read in a brochure or something that the DDIS engine is equipped with timing chains (as compared to timing belts in Multijet Engine) which lasts the life of an engine. This was a Maruti customization which they had done to prolong the life of engine.
Multijets or MJDs,Quadrajet of Tata,all run on timing chains not belts.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 09:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2010 swift Vdi.In one of the services i caught one of the mechanics working on my car pouring in 3.5 L of engine oil as compared to 3.1 L as mentioned in the manual.When confronted he said its good on the long run.Saying this he showed me the maintenance chart where it was mentioned upon draining its 3.1L and on overhauling its 3.5L.I explained the difference to him. Though he kept on debating i insisted him to put only 3.1L.
Old 30th September 2013, 09:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I have a 2010 swift Vdi.In one of the services i caught one of the mechanics working on my car pouring in 3.5 L of engine oil as compared to 3.1 L as mentioned in the manual.When confronted he said its good on the long run.Saying this he showed me the maintenance chart where it was mentioned upon draining its 3.1L and on overhauling its 3.5L.I explained the difference to him. Though he kept on debating i insisted him to put only 3.1L.
Extra oil,would result in Turbo oil seal or Turbo failure,but will not cause any issues in the engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks