Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 20:13   #16
BHPian

re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
If the entire front face of the disc was rusted, that means that the pad wasn't making contact. Have they checked the calipers for smooth operation? It sounds like they are binding and not sliding the way they should.

In the US, I read one account where someone had a brake issue in the rear where a caliper did not slide and locked the inner rear brake pad to the rotor and wore it completely out. This was covered under warranty for him.
In this case the road salts have formed on certain areas of the disc causeing the vibration that too only between 40-80 km/h.

*UPDATE*
My car has returned from the service center today. They have cleared as much rust and road salts from the surface as possible. But the vibration has still not gone so they have decided to replace the discs. I had also complained about shudder on pick up and they have found a faulty engine mount as the culprit behind it and have order that in warranty.

Last edited by rockporiom : 6th December 2013 at 20:22.
Old 10th December 2013, 05:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
In this case the road salts have formed on certain areas of the disc causeing the vibration that too only between 40-80 km/h.

*UPDATE*
My car has returned from the service center today. They have cleared as much rust and road salts from the surface as possible. But the vibration has still not gone so they have decided to replace the discs. I had also complained about shudder on pick up and they have found a faulty engine mount as the culprit behind it and have order that in warranty.
Did they not try 'turning' the brake rotors? (lathe process to cut them flat again--common here in the US). I don't know of any way to make a rotor 'true' again by cleaning a rotor that has surface imperfections or straightening one with warpage other than through turning.

Glad that they're replacing both though. And make sure they change the pads too!! The old pads won't be bedded in for the new rotors and may cause the same issue if the pads were bad.
Old 10th December 2013, 09:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Did they not try 'turning' the brake rotors? (lathe process to cut them flat again--common here in the US). I don't know of any way to make a rotor 'true' again by cleaning a rotor that has surface imperfections or straightening one with warpage other than through turning.

Glad that they're replacing both though. And make sure they change the pads too!! The old pads won't be bedded in for the new rotors and may cause the same issue if the pads were bad.

Yes they did the lathe process to make the disc flat again. They say that I will have to pay for pads because it comes in consumables. I don't mind paying for the pads as long as they are changing the disc in warranty. The pads cost 5k.
Old 11th December 2013, 10:19   #19
BANNED

Quote:

*UPDATE*
Road salts do not form on discs. They lead to the corrosion on the discs which in this case have led to the shudder. It is surprising that Maruti is handling a Kizashi customer in this manner. They should have changed the rotors and pads straightaway as *that is the real remedy in such cases. It looks like your Kizashi is a part of the guinea pigs that Maruti is using to sort out this problem.

Also note that pads would also be due for replacement under warranty as they have not "worn out" under normal use but have been subject to extra stresses due to the manufacturing defects in the rotors.

You would do well to keep speeds well below the limit that causes shudder. It looks like your engine mount has also weakened because of the excessive shudders on braking. Note that the excessive shudders would start effecting your steering and suspension systems next so it would be good to keep speeds well below the limits that cause shudder, or if possible avoid using the car / use minimally until the rotors have been changed and there is no more shudder.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 11th December 2013 at 10:30.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 10:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Road salts do not form on discs. They lead to the corrosion on the discs which in this case have led to the shudder. It is surprising that Maruti is handling a Kizashi customer in this manner. They should have changed the rotors and pads straightaway as *that is the real remedy in such cases. It looks like your Kizashi is a part of the guinea pigs that Maruti is using to sort out this problem.

Also note that pads would also be due for replacement under warranty as they have not "worn out" under normal use but have been subject to extra stresses due to the manufacturing defects in the rotors.

You would do well to keep speeds well below the limit that causes shudder. It looks like your engine mount has also weakened because of the excessive shudders on braking. Note that the excessive shudders would start effecting your steering and suspension systems next so it would be good to keep speeds well below the limits that cause shudder, or if possible avoid using the car / use minimally until the rotors have been changed and there is no more shudder.

I can't stop using or minimise the use of the car since this is the only one I have got for the time being. The engine mount is to be installed in 3 days. I am even getting thud sounds from my left suspension which they are saying is normal.
Old 11th December 2013, 11:13   #21
BANNED

Quote:
I can't stop using or minimise the use of the car since this is the only one I have got for the time being. The engine mount is to be installed in 3 days. I am even getting thud sounds from my left suspension which they are saying is normal.
The suspension noise is not normal. If the suspension noise was normal, it should have been there right from the beginning when the car was new. This appears to be another stalling tactic being adopted by your dealer. Wait until the engine mount is changed (as it is possible that a weak engine mount may be the source of the noise too) and if the noise is still there, take it up seriously with the dealer/ Maruti.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 10:35   #22
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Quote:
Yes they did the lathe process to make the disc flat again. They say that I will have to pay for pads because it comes in consumables. I don't mind paying for the pads as long as they are changing the disc in warranty. The pads cost 5k.
Good. That's the same price we pay for pads here converted to USD, but like he said:
Quote:
...pads would also be due for replacement under warranty as they have not "worn out" under normal use but have been subject to extra stresses due to the manufacturing defects in the rotors.
Quote:
Note that the excessive shudders would start effecting your steering and suspension systems next so it would be good to keep speeds well below the limits that cause shudder...
This is a very good point. Almost everything on the front suspension has been subject to vibrations that it was never designed for. Bolts have probably become loose, rubber bushings prematurely worn or damaged, and more. But most importantly, the car is unsafe to drive in this condition. You are risking more damage and the possibilty of a bad accident in which you could get hurt. It's so shameful how something like this gets treated with such carelessness there whereas here in the US, they would have given you alternate transportation immediately and indefinitely while they fix this obvious warranty issue.
Quote:
The engine mount is to be installed in 3 days. I am even getting thud sounds from my left suspension which they are saying is normal.
Thud sounds like this are definitely not normal unless they are because of the engine mount failure. But then it's damaging things because engines aren't designed to move when in operation. Your transmission mount would be next since it is taking a load it was never designed for.
Quote:
The suspension noise is not normal. If the suspension noise was normal, it should have been there right from the beginning when the car was new. This appears to be another stalling tactic being adopted by your dealer. Wait until the engine mount is changed (as it is possible that a weak engine mount may be the source of the noise too) and if the noise is still there, take it up seriously with the dealer/ Maruti.
Very good words! You're being shortchanged. The Kizashi isn't a cheap car in India. Don't let them rip you off with fake service. These are all issues that they will get reimbursed for from Suzuki Japan. Any shortchanging (like keeping new rotors for themselves to resell), is just putting more money into their pockets.
Old 24th December 2013, 19:48   #23
BHPian

This is to inform all kizashi owners and by all I mean all in and out of the forum.

There was a service bulletin for Kizashi in 2011 regarding a faulty engine mount that was to be changed in case there is vibration while braking. This is common to Kizashi's inside a certain vin range so I suggest all kizashi to get their cars checked up at your service center.

The service bulletin is dated 8/6/2011. It states to change the part with another one.

This is the faulty mount changed in my car:
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking-img_201312244643.jpg  

Last edited by rockporiom : 24th December 2013 at 19:49.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 20:48   #24
BHPian

Wow! I can't believe they didn't address this from the very beginning. Such shady tactics.

Tell them you'd like to have a copy of the TSB. Then you can post it here so other Kizashi owners can take a copy to their dealership. We use this tactic in the US for a rear strut TSB.
Old 25th December 2013, 22:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! I can't believe they didn't address this from the very beginning. Such shady tactics.

Tell them you'd like to have a copy of the TSB. Then you can post it here so other Kizashi owners can take a copy to their dealership. We use this tactic in the US for a rear strut TSB.
I know the number of the TSB it is AQ-A6B-01 dated 8-6-2011. My friends car manufactred in 2011 december also has his vin in recall.
Old 26th December 2013, 02:42   #26
BHPian

That helps, but if the dealership is being uncooperative, they may act like they 'couldn't find it'. Best to have a copy in hand. They cannot deny the issue to your face with the TSB in front of them.
Old 26th December 2013, 08:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

How would I know if my car already has the updated engine mount in it?
Old 26th December 2013, 08:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Good question. Is there a way to see the mount easily?

Maybe if the design change is obvious or at least the bolts are visible, you can either see the mount style is different or the bolts have been removed and refastened.
Old 26th December 2013, 08:14   #29
BANNED

Quote:
If your car MFD is after this recall, I mean the vehicles manufactured after the dates / VIN mentioned for recall - your car would be sporting the newer engine mounts.

Are you facing this said problem in your Kizashi? If No, even then go to the ASC and have a discussion with the manager there and find out for your car.

Anurag.
Old 26th December 2013, 09:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If your car MFD is after this recall, I mean the vehicles manufactured after the dates / VIN mentioned for recall - your car would be sporting the newer engine mounts.

Are you facing this said problem in your Kizashi? If No, even then go to the ASC and have a discussion with the manager there and find out for your car.

Anurag.
No anurag, cars manufactured after the date also have this issue. My friend's december 2011car also had this issue. Ishaan the car will not have the updated part that is a bet because they have not changed anything in the stockyard. I request to visit ASC as soon as possible.

REQUEST OTHER KIZASHI OWNERS TO ALSO TAKE NOTICE.
1. Bluu
2. MVenkat
3. Hooloovoo
4. Nickolajj
5. Puzz
6. IshaanIan

please add anyone else I might have forgotten.

Last edited by rockporiom : 26th December 2013 at 09:56.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks