Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 22:03   #46
BHPian

Re: Let the Restoration Begin - Mercedes W124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
Hi Deepak Menon !
I must congratulate you on the love & affection you have bestowed on the W124 which is evident by the results. Kudos to you ! I would be happy to have the details of the spares used and the costs thereof.

Meanwhile I need to ask you for help and advice - kindly tell me where the vacuum lines for the rear head restraints run? Is anyone able to tell me where I could locate the vacuum line / circuit diagram for the car in totality. I describe the problem that I face:-
The right head restraint releases and drops down but the left one does not. Three weeks ago was the last occasion that I operated the dashboard switch to drop the restraints, the right one released first and then the left released after a delay of a few seconds. Today only the right headrest released and after repeated tries I noticed that there is a soft click heard but the restraint does not drop down and then some time later a second click is heard. I tried again by sitting in the rear and assisting the mechanism in between the clicks but of no avail as I was not wishing to apply force on the mechanism. I suspect that the vacuum connection or the mechanism is faulty / sticky. The big question is how do I reach the lines; and if need be how to lubricate the mechanism. Please help me with any of the photos that you may have taken at the time of restoration !

Hey

If you open the boot and bend down right below where head restraint is placed you will find a small circular actuator which will be connected to your head rest.

You need to carefully remove that and check if there's a vaccum leak from its sides
How to check it
We'll dip the whole thing in water n blow ait into the hole where vaccum line was connected if you see air bubbles you have a leak if you find the leak then find the source and seal it 99.9% plugging the leak solves the issue.

Regards to vaccum lines the main vaccum actuator is below your rear seat if you remove it you wil find it.

Hope this helps
Regards
Jatin
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 17:18   #47
BHPian

Deepak. hats off to you and it has been such a beautiful thread and it was like reading a gripping novel. The way you have gone about the detailing is fantastic. Went to see a W124 for my friend this saturday and so been going through a lot of threads and came across this wonderful one. Expected some more finished pictures for all the effort that has gone into it. Cheers.
Old 10th February 2014, 19:34   #48
BHPian

Thanks Majumon

Just enjoying the car, not really got it to be clicked; however will when the car will go for its first polish
Old 10th February 2014, 23:45   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
Meanwhile I need to ask you for help and advice - kindly tell me where the vacuum lines for the rear head restraints run? Is anyone able to tell me where I could locate the vacuum line / circuit diagram for the car in totality. I describe the problem that I face:-
The right head restraint releases and drops down but the left one does not. Three weeks ago was the last occasion that I operated the dashboard switch to drop the restraints, the right one released first and then the left released after a delay of a few seconds. Today only the right headrest released and after repeated tries I noticed that there is a soft click heard but the restraint does not drop down and then some time later a second click is heard. I tried again by sitting in the rear and assisting the mechanism in between the clicks but of no avail as I was not wishing to apply force on the mechanism. I suspect that the vacuum connection or the mechanism is faulty / sticky. The big question is how do I reach the lines; and if need be how to lubricate the mechanism. Please help me with any of the photos that you may have taken at the time of restoration !
Haven't worked on a W124 for a while, but this system consists of some electrical bits and vacuum bits. As pointed out, you should be able to get at the actuator from behind I believe. You should actually be able to manually release it. Also, make sure the engine is running. On older cars the pneumatic system often has small leaks and with the engine running you will have maximum vacuum.

My own experience is that if there is problem with the actuator you can usually tell by visual inspection. Very carefully check the rubbers.

If you google "w124 vacuum system head rest" you will get several dozens of hits with suggestions, drawings and photographs.

Good luck.

Jeroen
Old 11th February 2014, 10:09   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Haven't worked on a W124 for a while, but this system consists of some electrical bits and vacuum bits. As pointed out, you should be able to get at the actuator from behind I believe. You should actually be able to manually release it. Also, make sure the engine is running. On older cars the pneumatic system often has small leaks and with the engine running you will have maximum vacuum.

My own experience is that if there is problem with the actuator you can usually tell by visual inspection. Very carefully check the rubbers.

If you google "w124 vacuum system head rest" you will get several dozens of hits with suggestions, drawings and photographs.

Good luck.

Jeroen
Thank you ! I did not think of Googling for a solution.
Old 5th August 2015, 21:09   #51
BHPian

W124 E220: Rear Windscreen surround/ Trunk drain/ Parcel Box Rust Woes

Greetings!

My 95 W124 sedan has, over time, developed rust issues around the rear drain, parcel shelf trunk box. I'm hoping to learn if this is a common occurrence on our sedans.

If so, any recommended course of action? Perhaps parts are available from MB that would minimize the need to cut and weld factory sheet metal.

I am almost certain I will need to cut out & weld the rear trunk water drain channel. Any recommended body shops for older Benz cars in Mumbai? Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks