Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:29   #76
BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti. 4.5 lakh repair bill! EDIT: Fuel system replaced under warranty

This is absolutely disgusting levels of service by the dealer (if it is correct to called this as service in the first place). And I am not too sure if the manufacturer is totally out of the blame because such incidents have been reported time and again at Skoda dealerships. It does not comfort me at all because I am a VW owner and that is the parent company!?

But am I wrong in observing that these are more frequent down south compared to other parts of the country?
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 18:04   #77
BHPian

Is it my imagination, or these issues tend to happen more with 1-2 manufacturers more than others? I remember reading a similar case about an Audi somewhere else in this forum (same fuel filter part, I would not be surprised).
Not to condone the horrible fuel quality in India, but other cars seem to clocking lakh+ kilometers without any hassles (Fiesta, Dezire, Innova et al) used by cabbies across the country and filled up in dubious pumps too....

Wonder what's really at play here.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 19:29   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Is it my imagination, or these issues tend to happen more with 1-2 manufacturers more than others? I remember reading a similar case about an Audi somewhere else in this forum (same fuel filter part, I would not be surprised).
Not to condone the horrible fuel quality in India, but other cars seem to clocking lakh+ kilometers without any hassles (Fiesta, Dezire, Innova et al) used by cabbies across the country and filled up in dubious pumps too....

Wonder what's really at play here.
Audi, BMW and Mercedes are also plying on our roads with the same fuel quality but none are not so troublesome as the Skoda!

Majority ones of complaints are heard from the Czech brand and I just want to know what their Indian Division is up to even after getting so many complaints and issues

Anurag.
Old 3rd January 2014, 21:37   #79
BHPian

Last year my superb petrol had a DSG issue. Instead of giving the car to skoda service centre, my dad called the helpline and approached the people in skoda aurangabad and blasted them since the car had only run 29000km in 4years. luckily they responded back,sent people from skoda hyderabad to our place. It was replaced within 10days under goodwill warranty though we ended up paying 20k for labour,oil change etc..
moose56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 22:18   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Audi, BMW and Mercedes are also plying on our roads with the same fuel quality but none are not so troublesome as the Skoda!
Anurag.
I think most of Audi, BMW owners keep quiet as it is a shame to tell that such costly cars breakdown also they may not fight over high service cost again due to prestige issues. If Skoda India is not listening to customers, soon they will become like Fiat, good cars but no buyer because of horrible ASS.
Normal cars like Swift, innova, verna runs trouble free for lakhs of kms, so called highly engineered German cars break down frequently and on top of that worst ASS, what a combination.
Old 3rd January 2014, 23:18   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Majority ones of complaints are heard from the Czech brand and I just want to know what their Indian Division is up to even after getting so many complaints and issues

Anurag.
Skoda produces one of the best cars in industry and are quiet VFM products which pleases both enthusiast and others (Non BHpians I mean). I attribute this to attitude rather engineering---
  1. Skoda dealers- Most notorious ones (I mean most if not all). As sales numbers were and could never be like Maruti/Hyundai, they want to extract max out of each customer
  2. Spare parts- I don't think this is an issue anymore, but as per an analysis- If you want to assemble a Superb it will cost you 36 lacs for a 18 lac car. Naturally another example of non planning and attitude of Skoda towards customer. It was never a service attitude and the same DNA transferred into dealers
  3. Accountability- Skoda India is not Skoda, Skoda delaer is not Skoda and finally Skoda customer is not Skoda. In short its always passing the buck (I am taking inference from the threads here and comparing it with Maruti, even my Ford experience)
Not sure if that is true but-
  1. I have not seen a single Skoda car doing road testing, neither in this forum nor on road. I might be completely wrong and pardon/correct me if that is the case.
  2. I have not seen a single car running as taxi/hired from Skoda's stable. Realiability????

Last edited by aah78 : 8th January 2014 at 02:03. Reason: Spell-check.
Passiautonate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 23:31   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
I think most of Audi, BMW owners keep quiet as it is a shame to tell that such costly cars breakdown also they may not fight over high service cost again due to prestige issues. If Skoda India is not listening to customers, soon they will become like Fiat, good cars but no buyer because of horrible ASS.
Sorry sir but this actually contrary to what happens. Most owners of these premium cars expect equal standards of servicing. There are numerous threads on the forum itself where matters have been escalated to the top brass of BMW/Audi/Mercedes. Higher servicing cost is understandable but premature break down of parts without a logical explanation is not acceptable to anyone be it a Maruti owner or a Mercedes owner.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 12:27   #83
Senior - BHPian

Catamaran

Since they claim that this not covered by warranty there is no obligation on your part to get the work done at St Antonys. Take the car to Pete's and get a proper diagnosis.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 18:13   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Catamaran

Since they claim that this not covered by warranty there is no obligation on your part to get the work done at St Antonys. Take the car to Pete's and get a proper diagnosis.
Hi Steer,

Although Skoda initially sent a mail to the dealer informing that this case cannot be repaired under warranty, they later called my brother back where we described the entire case once again. We also put up complaint letter to as many people in Skoda as possible. After 2 days they again called and advised that thy can give the spare parts at 30% discount. We did not agree to it and they have sent a mail informing that they will revert back.

My brother also called up a gentleman whose phone no. he got from Mr. Sudir Rao's (Skoda MD) offline message. He has informed that our case is in discussion at the after sales department and they will let us know a decision soon. I have asked my bro to wait for a couple of days more before we move forward with the next steps.

Meanwhile today I got a call from a guy from Kerala in my Dubai mobile no. I do not know how he got my no. He has booked a new Octavia and awaiting delivery. He asked me about the entire issue and checking whether Skoda will repair this under warranty. He is concerned specially considering the quality of fuel available in our region and may even cancel his booking.

Regards

PS>> My car is in Marikar and not I. St. Antony's. I think they do only accident denting / painting kind of job there. This was told to me by the Skoda road side assistance people when I called them for tow.

Last edited by noopster : 4th January 2014 at 19:10. Reason: Please don't post back-to-back- use Edit option instead
Catamaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 18:52   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaran View Post

Meanwhile today I got a call from a guy from Kerala in my Dubai mobile no. I do not know how he got my no. He has booked a new Octavia and awaiting delivery. He asked me about the entire issue and checking whether Skoda will repair this under warranty. He is concerned specially considering the quality of fuel available in our region and may even cancel his booking.

Regards
Same is the case with my friend(not a Tbhp member) , he booked Octavia TDI and waiting for delivery, after seeing this thread he is very scared and is thinking of cancelling his booking.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 23:52   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

People are bound to shy away from Skoda if issues like these are not addressed swiftly and adequately. A person can bear higher servicing costs and can take a certain amount of care of the vehicle. But one doesn't have any control over the type of fuel going in. And when most other cars costing much less can tolerate these bad fuels, then there is no reason why Skoda should have an issue. Either there filter is not upto the quality or otherwise atleast they should then make these service intervals more frequently and change the filters frequently. You can't expect to let the customer live in the fear of something like this happening everytime he has to get fuel.

BTW if they do not relent then what are the options that you are considering?
Old 4th January 2014, 23:59   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaran View Post
My brother also called up a gentleman whose phone no. he got from Mr. Sudir Rao's (Skoda MD) offline message. He has informed that our case is in discussion at the after sales department and they will let us know a decision soon. I have asked my bro to wait for a couple of days more before we move forward with the next steps.

PS>> My car is in Marikar and not I. St. Antony's. I think they do only accident denting / painting kind of job there. This was told to me by the Skoda road side assistance people when I called them for tow.
1. If you're living in Kerala its always better to get the diagnostics done at Pete's before giving it to the Skoda dealers, one of which is a known rip-off (the one you went to). At least you'll know when they make up a story.

2. St. Antony's has a full-fledged garage behind Concorde on the NH, but the Marikar mechanics are more competent as they have more experience on the brand. Unfortunately whilst the mechs are allegedly good, you can't trust that outfit one bit.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 00:05   #88
BHPian

Received the following reply from Head-Network Development Skoda India

At the outset, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.

I have noted the contents of your below email and understand that your car is stranded at our Cochin dealership M/s Marikar Engineers.

While you would appreciate that for fuel adulteration case, if it is proved then as per company policy warranty would not be applicable. But still, I shall depute my Service Engineer based in Bangalore to attend to your complaint and get to the root cause of the problem.

Assuring you of our best services and please feel free to call me anytime if you feel the progress on your complaint is not as per your expectation.
Unquote

It's one month completed today since the car is in workshop and the wait continues.. No other choice.

Regards
Catamaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 07:15   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

@Catamaran exactly the reply I anticipated from the Skodists (new term synonymous with round-about postponers). Let me dissect this mail, it begins with - 'sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you' - why? By saying so has Skoda accepted blame? But that can't be since 'for fuel adulteration case, if it is proved then as per company policy warranty would not be applicable' where the Skodists have conveniently signed off the mail.
'Assuring you of our best services' is as vague as it gets where best is best considered undefined. These company mails amuse me.

Shouldn't Skoda work more like this > Investigate root cause on day 1 > Involve the customer after findings to convince him whether company is liable or if it were usage related issue > Take customer signature after printing out the work-sheet > Satisfy the customer by creating a quick resolution because liable or not, no company must postpone anything knowingy.

Car companies spend unmentionable amounts on t.v ads and 2 page ads in newspaper, resolving about 10 issues of customers per annum on warranty will cost less than half but will have a huge positive effect on sales. The car has been parked there 30 days with all necessary investigations done. After reading this mail I think this is just the beginning and having the key piece of evidence (vehicle) with them, they can go any route they choose.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 07:37   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But one doesn't have any control over the type of fuel going in. And when most other cars costing much less can tolerate these bad fuels, then there is no reason why Skoda should have an issue.
Or Skoda should start petrol pumps across India and insist Skoda owners should fill only from those pumps. :-) :-)
It is disgusting that even after 12 - 13 years in India, Skoda has not learned it's lessons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks