Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2014, 09:46   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti. 4.5 lakh repair bill! EDIT: Fuel system replaced under warranty

Do enquire whether the 7up bottle they showed you with water-diesel is the first time they tried this stunt or whether that bottle is a legacy feature in the particular service centre and is trotted out as an excuse to customers who turn in with fuel pump issues. I have a strong feeling that this may not be the first time that 7up bottle has been paraded out.

Also why does you car have to be at the dealer's the entire duration of the time Skoda admin procrastinates over whether to honor your warranty or not (worthless warranty in any case it is), shouldn't the car be at your house and after they ponder over it and come to a decision, then you can take it back. The reason I say this is that there is a huge chance that they would cripple your car further by salvaging it for spares in the meanwhile and adding it to the warranty cost born by the company or adding it to your bill and offering these spares out in the free market as a favor or as a perk to some favored customers. Can you be sure that would not be the case !
lurker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 19:20   #92
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone advise if pressure wash on engine bay is advisable as part of the normal service or normal car wash? Is there any possibility of water getting through inside the engine after pressure wash? I had taken the yeti 4-5 times since buying it one and half years on express car wash service where they did that, and only after this thread, I am getting concern.
Old 5th January 2014, 19:42   #93
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Can anyone advise if pressure wash on engine bay is advisable as part of the normal service or normal car wash? Is there any possibility of water getting through inside the engine after pressure wash? I had taken the yeti 4-5 times since buying it one and half years on express car wash service where they did that, and only after this thread, I am getting concern.

I was told clearly by the 3M chaps that the Skoda vehicles' engine bay should never be washed with those high pressure hoses. If you go to 3M and get your engine bay cleaned, they use a very soft pressure yet forceful water jet to get the engine bay cleaned up. You can actually hold it pointed directly at your hand and you will not be stung by high pressure water.
But I ve not even allowed this, preferring to get my vehicle's engine bay cleaned only by the authorized skoda workshop when the car goes for servicing or a general visit, once or twice a year.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 19:46   #94
BHPian

Quote:
This is not advisable. I have a VW Vento and the SA told me that they have specific instructions to not to wash the engine bay with a pressure wash. He pointed out that it is the same for all Skoda vehicles as well. I tend to believe him as I did not notice engine bay of any vehicle being washed at the dealer. Only pressurised air was being used to clean the engine bay.
Vikas Arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 20:14   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was told clearly by the 3M chaps that the Skoda vehicles' engine bay should never be washed with those high pressure hoses. If you go to 3M and get your engine bay cleaned, they use a very soft pressure yet forceful water jet to get the engine bay cleaned up. You can actually hold it pointed directly at your hand and you will not be stung by high pressure water.
But I ve not even allowed this, preferring to get my vehicle's engine bay cleaned only by the authorized skoda workshop when the car goes for servicing or a general visit, once or twice a year.
This is enlightening! I had watched numerous times when they pressure wash the engine bay on both my cars (yeti and civic). And I would see steam going up as if it were smoke. I guess I would have to instruct them to skip it henceforth

Last edited by iTNerd : 5th January 2014 at 20:16.
Old 5th January 2014, 20:39   #96
BANNED

Quote:
This is enlightening! I had watched numerous times when they pressure wash the engine bay on both my cars (yeti and civic). And I would see steam going up as if it were smoke. I guess I would have to instruct them to skip it henceforth
Please skip it as they are washing the engine bay when the engine is hot so the water coming in contact with the block is evaporating and giving of steam. It is risky add it can get cracks on the block for to thermal shock. Moreover it is a Skoda, why create problems when the car is fine.

When I had visited 3M, they have done something called Engine Degreasing. . It did clean the engine bay.

Anurag.
Old 6th January 2014, 09:25   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
...When in doubt, I will talk to local car owners or Taxi owners to get the info. This I will do when car still have nearly 1/3rd of fuel left, so that I am not is desperate situation of running out of fuel.
A very good suggestion; and exactly what I do. Once I spoke to a taxi guy and he said generally the HP pumps on the highway are better reliable. He used to drive extensively in the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaran View Post
...After 2 days they again called and advised that thy can give the spare parts at 30% discount. We did not agree to it and they have sent a mail informing that they will revert back...
I think Petes will be even cheaper than this 30% discount offered. And quality of service should be better too.

Quote:
...Meanwhile today I got a call from a guy from Kerala in my Dubai mobile no...He has booked a new Octavia and awaiting delivery. He asked me about the entire issue and checking whether Skoda will repair this under warranty. He is concerned specially considering the quality of fuel available in our region and may even cancel his booking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Same is the case with my friend(not a Tbhp member) , he booked Octavia TDI and waiting for delivery, after seeing this thread he is very scared and is thinking of cancelling his booking.
Lovely! Hope to see more of such instances and this brand getting buried!

Quote:
Received the following reply from Head-Network Development Skoda India...

At the outset, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you...But still, I shall depute my Service Engineer based in Bangalore to attend to your complaint and get to the root cause of the problem...
Ahh! So they don't trust their service centre's root cause analysis? Even bigger cause of worry!

Quote:
...It is disgusting that even after 12 - 13 years in India, Skoda has not learned it's lessons.
We still have customers going in for this brand! Why should the company care if the customers are ready to trust them?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th January 2014 at 09:27.
Old 6th January 2014, 11:14   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know this question actually set my thinking gears running.
If water can ingress the engine housing during such a wash ... then engine oil and fuel can also egress during the normal course of running!

Remember that the water spray pressure is not too great (it just feels because of the nozzle - high velocity), but the engine oil circuit and fuel injection runs at pretty high pressure. If there are chances of "custody transfer" of fluids taking place between outside world and engine then the oil should come out first ... and THAT should be a cause of worry.

I think this is a question that we should ask all the PhD (Mech) guys working at Skoda workshops ...

On the other hand, water/moisture can definitely screw up with the electricals in the engine bay.

I believe the real reason why they prohibit water in the engine bay is because of thermal stresses that can develop when the engine is hot and cold water is splashed on it.

Last edited by alpha1 : 6th January 2014 at 11:18.
Old 6th January 2014, 11:53   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know about back home, but here where I live the service centres will NOT wash the engine bay of a Euro or American car, unless you insist and then only after recording the fact that the customer insisted and agrees to the possibility of damage. They will gladly wash Jap/Korean engines.

On inquiry I'm told it comes from experience - the Jap/Korean vehicles have never given any service centre trouble after a wash while the Euro/American vehicles have.

Why would you want to wash your engine bay anyway? It is not an enclosed unit and will collect dust anyway - at best you'd give it an air hose dust-off.
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 12:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
We still have customers going in for this brand! Why should the company care if the customers are ready to trust them?
Skoda may be sending their own engineer from their regional office. This is a normal practice to send company's own engineer to asses the case which involves warranty claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
On the other hand, water/moisture can definitely screw up with the electricals in the engine bay.
The main reason behind saying NO to pressure washing of engine bay is to keep the electrical and electronics component safe. There may be loose connections, damaged insulation etc which may cause short circuit. If water enters to the engine block during washing when it is not running, it should allow air/fuel mixture to leak out during operation. Because the latter is a high pressure operation.
Old 6th January 2014, 13:44   #101
Senior - BHPian

I am not clear on the washing part. I have used Amrican (Ford), Indian (Tata), Korean (Hyundai) and now European (Fiat) and have never seen this written in the service manual that the engine bay cannot be washed.

May be this could only be possible when the electrical repairs have been carried out through road-side garages wherein joining and taping is considered as solution to the problem.

I have seen Tata Motors (Concorde) to replace particular wiring in case of failure or malfunction instead of twising and taping joints and I have never witnessed any post washing issues in any of my cars.

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 6th January 2014 at 13:46.
Old 6th January 2014, 14:25   #102
BHPian

The Nissan ASC in dubai never used to wash the engine bay! They said the engine bay is not meant to be washed.
But the Nissan ASC here washes the engine bay!

Besides, it is no where written in the user manual that the engine bay should not be washed. Just take due precautions, like covering up the parts susceptible to water entry or damage, not applying water jet at key places, etc.
Old 6th January 2014, 14:39   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I am not clear on the washing part. I have used Amrican (Ford), Indian (Tata), Korean (Hyundai) and now European (Fiat) and have never seen this written in the service manual that the engine bay cannot be washed.

Cheers
This is more likely an idiot proof service process to prevent anybody from pointing a high pressure water jet on vulnerable electrical parts.
Old 7th January 2014, 10:14   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Usually, engine isn't harmed (unless its hot) but other components, especially electrical do.

I have washed the engine compartment of the Skoda & Ford, but it isn't a pressure wash, a mild one, and then a diesel spray to coat it.

Stubborn stains (oil residue or rat poop) are cleaned with cloth+soap combo.

Though, I always cover the ECU with plastic, securely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
at best you'd give it an air hose dust-off.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 13:42   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Meanwhile today I got a call from a guy from Kerala in my Dubai mobile no. I do not know how he got my no. He has booked a new Octavia and awaiting delivery. He asked me about the entire issue and checking whether Skoda will repair this under warranty. He is concerned specially considering the quality of fuel available in our region and may even cancel his booking...
Quote:
Same is the case with my friend(not a Tbhp member) , he booked Octavia TDI and waiting for delivery, after seeing this thread he is very scared and is thinking of cancelling his booking.
Not sure you have seen this *new* thread!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-troubles.html
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks