Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2006, 21:08   #1
BHPian

Using Free ozone From Distributor cap

Hi all,

Here is the short technical modification I made in my 95 esteem lpg driven....

There is ozone generated inside distributor cap when rotor rotates & providing high voltage pulses to spark plug.....this ozone is very very reactive in nature....its always ready to combine with any other molecule.

I made small hole on distributor cap which is made up of plastic....there is a vent with cap on this plastic cap..hole is done on drilling machine & attached a rubber vacuume pipe to it....I used plastic connector that we use on water spraying pipe for cleaning front windshiled......used instant fevistick to join small plastic connector inside cap....then attached the rubber pipe & connected other end at base of carburetor where there is vacuume......idea is to suck the ozone from distributor cap to the carburetor from which it goes to combuston chamber.....ozone helps fuel burn better.....

I instantly noticed increased drivability....increased pick up....there seems to be definite increase in the running of car.....mileage checking will take time..I also felt my low end driving with higher gears improved..can now run my car at 30 kmph on 4th gear without knocking......

Here is the link for this ozone generating tehnique......its so simple...instantly effective...costed me only Rs 100....

Only distributor cap with a vent is to be used otherwise contact will get too much carbon....mine was already vented...no need to close this vent....

http://fueleconomytips.com/index.php...id=59&Itemid=2

Enjoy...........

Last edited by finetuning : 13th July 2006 at 21:14.
Old 13th July 2006, 21:46   #2
BHPian

*** *** man u are one enterprising guy with lots of energy for tech ideas. Keep it up and keep posting us ur new tech tips. gr8 info will have to try it out.
Old 13th July 2006, 22:15   #3
BHPian

Hi all,

This modification is so simple yet very effective....also not reported any loss in drivability by any if appiled correctly so far....we are using ozone gas that is being produced free of cost...ozone soon converts into oxygen so infact we are supplying very fresh oxygen to the conbustion chamber....also if ozone molecules comes in contact with either petrol or diesel or other fuel molecules....being very unstable they create a kind of turbulance inside combustion chamber which helps fuel burn in better way....(this is my understanding..I may be wrong so correct me)........

Required materials for this modifications are

1)Our old distributor cap with vent...in many vehicles cap without vent is used....for this technique to be effective only cap with vent is used....

2)One Rubber tube that we use in carburetor....2 to 3 inch more then a foot is sufficient....

3)Any types of glue preferably instant liquid like fevistick that we get at Rs 5

4)Small plastic connector used to join two such rubber pipes...I removed the lower part of this connector & fixed it with fevistick to the drilled hole...then connected runner pipe.....drilling is to be done opposite vent....make sure no part touches rotor inside...

We can do this with our local mechanic.....we can directly connect rubber pipe to distributor cap with fevistick but then it might get loose as cap is horizontaly fitted in my car(Esteem).....so I used this connector....

No need to change any setting.....benefits are increased pick up....very good drivability...can drive in high gears without vibration which turns into better mileage...........

Here is the link for Wonderful Ozone...

http://www.ozoneapplications.com/ozoneinfo.htm

I will soon share photo.......

Enjoy.........

Last edited by finetuning : 13th July 2006 at 22:17.
Old 14th July 2006, 00:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

You are good.
Old 14th July 2006, 21:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
wtf *** man u are one enterprising guy with lots of energy for tech ideas. Keep it up and keep posting us ur new tech tips. gr8 info will have to try it out.
My sentiments exactly
Great Going Finetuning Cant wait to see what your next post is going to be on.
I Love the acetone part,
Will do the groove if i can find a nice mechanic.
Will be definetly trying the ozone thing in a few day's.
Old 14th July 2006, 22:16   #6
BHPian

W o W

you've got me real tempted to try it out on my carb. gypsy king.

will wait a while for your report - eagerly at that !
Old 14th July 2006, 22:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dude what about maruti 800.What kind of distributor it has.Vented or not vented?how can i go about with this in my 800.Its a carburated one.Please let know
Old 14th July 2006, 22:35   #8
BHPian

Hi humyum,

I think in your maruti 800 u can easily do this....also most probably its vented cap...just remove it....make a hole opposite vent....directly connect rubber pipe or with plastic connector with any glue....connect other end to down side of carburetor where there is vacuum inlet port....then just start car without changing anything........see the difference in performance in entire rpm range.....

Hi captain Pings,

In your case too u can try....nothing difficult...make sure we want to suck the ozone from distributor cap to carburetor so that it takes part in combustion....if any vacuum leakage then this ozone might not reach carburetor....so make tight leakproof connection.....I will definitely put photos so that we all can understand it well....also if while opening the distributor cap if we found its contact worn out then can buy new one which will cost around Rs 350.....otherwise go ahead with old one....I used old cap.....Also make sure u drill the hole with machine drill....because with hand drill...this cap might get broken.....

Enjoy......

Last edited by finetuning : 14th July 2006 at 22:37.
Old 14th July 2006, 22:49   #9
BHPian

why thank you Mr. Finetuning

saturday morning DIY (post giving the dog a bath, that is) - rig ozone connection and try out on gypsy.

Post results here.

Drink beer if successful (gin if unsuccessful)

Zzzzzzz.

PS - on a more serious note - am definitely trying it out !
Old 14th July 2006, 23:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
Hi humyum,

I think in your maruti 800 u can easily do this....also most probably its vented cap...just remove it....make a hole opposite vent....directly connect rubber pipe or with plastic connector with any glue....connect other end to down side of carburetor where there is vacuum inlet port....then just start car without changing anything........see the difference in performance in entire rpm range....
but the inlet port thing that finetuning said tempted me to ask this question.He said there is vacuum inlet port at the down side of the carburator.A brake booster requires vacuum for its working and as my 800 does not have a brake booster if i want to fix one.Will the vacuum be taking from this same port which finetuning is taking about for the working of the brake booster?
Old 15th July 2006, 21:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
but the inlet port thing that finetuning said tempted me to ask this question.He said there is vacuum inlet port at the down side of the carburator.A brake booster requires vacuum for its working and as my 800 does not have a brake booster if i want to fix one.Will the vacuum be taking from this same port which finetuning is taking about for the working of the brake booster?
Hi humyum,

Kindly take help of your local mechanic from whom u r doing tuning & other work.Let him know that u want to suck some gas from distributor cap...he will find a vacuum port.....also if there is no port we can make T joint to regular rubber pipe....but this we must do with help of mechanic....

Enjoy........
Old 16th July 2006, 16:14   #12
BHPian

Ozone to engine.

okay chaps, the deed has been done. Sunday morning DIY before the delhi meet (showered and ran for the meet) accomplished.

Have connected the distributor cap to the vacuum line and intial results are mixed - engine does appear smoother, pickup appears to have improved - engine seems to be heating up very fast now (always had a problem of the king engine heating - probably the improved combustion is the cause)

Procedure with snaps as follows -

1. Take out distributor cap and get vent cap off.

the hole on the left is from where the vent cap has been removed.

2. Drill hole opposite to existing vent hole

Above picture has the nipple inserted into vent stub - ready for receiving hose.

3. Take hose connecting nipple ( the straight one) and shave O.D to make it right size to insert into existing pipe stub of vent (chosen this location instead of drilled hole since it is more rigid, and nipple will not protrude into distributor housing) . Fixed in location with superglue.

Connect vacuum hose to this nipple once glue set.

view of distributor cap from above showing vacuum hose connected.

4. Insert T-joint to allow this above vacuum hose to be connected to existing vacuum line to manifold.

The T-joint is visible in center of photo.

5. Air filter for hole (new one drilled) on distrbutor cap - rubber washer (used in plumbing with raised edges - abt 8mm) - common foam and electrical tape - will modify later with better arrangement.

This is just to keep moisture and dust from being sucked into the distributor.

pink colored foam visible through the vent hole.

Time taken - about 45 minutes
Cost - 30 Rs - for vacuum hose and connectors

Problems - once connected the fuel-air mixture had to be adjusted otherwise the engine was stalling on low idling. Once the setting was increased a bit - the engine is sounding rather sweet.

(PS - revved it hard at the meet on request and must say it does sound much better - psychological?)

Mr. Fine tuning - thanks again. Will post a report on any increase in FE in the next few days before i leave.

Last edited by Captain Pings : 16th July 2006 at 16:25.
Old 16th July 2006, 20:19   #13
BHPian

Dear captain pings,

Thats an excellent DIY....great photo...keep using free ozone into combustion chamber......but one thing.....why not u had choosen drilled hole?......I think u must not use original vent for pipe.....anyway it doesnt make difference if u had made another hole opposite this.....but this vent is with cap which seems closed from top....this design is for not allowing direct water or any substance inside distributor cap....if u connect it to the hole u drilled then no need use anything like foam, tape etc...

Try running car on highway at full throttle.....u will feel the difference...however its not mind blowing but quite noticeable.....

Enjoy.........

Enjoy
Old 16th July 2006, 20:35   #14
BHPian

thanks finetuning.

the reasons I opted for the original vent pipe stub to install the vacuum line were as follows:

1. the gypsy is a hard ride and bucks about a lot - i needed a firm and strong support - the original vent allowed that.

2. the drilled hole would allow me an insertion (and hence glued part) of only about 2.5 ~ 3mm - that would most probably come out sooner or later considering the jerky ride. I didnt want any part to protrude into the distributor.

3. Considering the distributor is now under vacuum and not at atmospheric pressure - the earlier vent design, though good to keep out normal splashes and dust etc- might have allowed moisture ingress. This is a very rare possibility and not really a reason for me!

What I intend to do (when time allows) is make a similar stub on the drilled bit and fit the same vent cap (retained) on that - with a filter arrangement. Shall post pics of it when done. (probably more professional and neater than the present tape and foam arrangement!)

yet to try it out on the highway - the DND flyway is a place i can test it. Am curious on the effect it'll have on top speed. Will revert.

Thanks for the link again.
Old 16th July 2006, 20:43   #15
BHPian

Hi captain ping,

If u had retained old vent cap then thats good....good arrangement considering the technical aspect of ur vehicle.....

I too made slight arrangent in ozone setting....earlier I connected directly to manifold vacuum.....but I decided to go for "T" joint without disturbing the original vacuum setting....so exactly in same manner made T joint.....also adjusted carburetor setting.....now feeling increase in power....I tested my car on highway & found increase in performance...no top speed checking....just drove at 100....enjoying.....

Enjoy......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks