Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2020, 14:19   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai: EPS Failure

Please advise in case this is not the right thread.

My car, I20 Asta (not Elite), 6 yrs old ran 30k kms was parked in my basement for the last 2 weeks, thanks to lockdown.

Today morning, car won't start (push button system), saying steering wheel locked. Tried rotating the wheel left and right multiple times, one side with force, tried to start without pressing clutch, etc. Won't budge.

Please help! Can't get service center folks due to lockdown
Attached Thumbnails
EPS Failure-img_20200411_124440.jpg  

Old 11th April 2020, 14:54   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smukherjee View Post
Today morning, car won't start (push button system), saying steering wheel locked.
Is your battery condition healthy? When did you changed it? Do you have a battery charger?

Try disconnecting the negative lead from battery and connect back after few minutes.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 15:21   #48
BHPian

Hey, thanks for the reply! Changed battery a month back in authorized service center. Do you think the negative lead trick might still work?
Old 11th April 2020, 17:47   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the reply! Changed battery a month back in authorized service center. Do you think the negative lead trick might still work?
Battery is the prime suspect when it comes to equipment not willing to budge after a vehicle sits idle for sometime. Please check if the cables are nice and tight, a fully charged battery is the best way to troubleshoot before anything goes bust due to low voltage.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...-inverter.html (Charging car battery via home inverter)

Please check if that link is of any use. I hope you have necessary tools to take the battery out.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 19:24   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can try. Sometimes these electronics play weirdly. It’s easy to loosen the terminal and take it out. In the circumstances, won’t harm killing the time even if nothing works out.
Old 8th November 2020, 11:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai: EPS Failure

So my i20’'s EPS has failed again. I have lost count of the number of times this has happened now. I had got the EPS module replaced last July-Aug (2019) and the car was fine till June this year. During the lock down, like everyone, I did not use the car a lot but the steering seemed fine. There was a noise though which was not much of a bother since the steering was pretty smooth. All this was when I was in Delhi till June 2020.

End of June 2020, I decided to head back to Kolkata for a few months because offices were unlikely to open any time soon. From July to August end the car laid untouched in Delhi. Sometime in early September, I asked fellow Bhpian Altocumulus and he was kind enough to take my car in and use it for a few days. When he reached my house to collect the car, the steering wheel did not budge; it was almost rock solid. I knew my nemesis was back.

Again, Altocumulus was nice enough to take the car to Nimbus Hyundai to get it diagnosed. I am not sure what they checked but they gave him/me a quote of 30k which included changing almost everything related to the steering (rack, motor, unit). This also included a downtime of 30 days. I think they were a bit pissed because I changed the module last time from a non-Hyundai shop and took it to them to get the coding done. Nevertheless, I decided not to get the job done and Altocumulus got the car home and kept it with him.

My initial plan was to get back to Delhi and take it to our favourite FNG (Imtiaz near GK 2) and get it fixed. But my return to Delhi kept getting postponed and the itch to get my car fixed kept multiplying by the day. To be honest, I missed my car. I have been driving this car since 2011 and for the most part it has been a great companion with innumerable memories. So yes, I guess I am allowed to miss it a bit.

Fast forward to November, as we write, the car is on an APML carrier on its way to Kolkata. Initially, I did contemplate flying to Delhi and driving the car down with AltoC. Considering the steering wheel does not work properly, it did not seem like a good idea.

So, as of now, the plan is to get the steering issue checked at a Hyundai A.S.S AGAIN! And get it fixed again. I have a feeling it is the EPS motor this time and not the module. The motor is probably what causes the weird noise which my car has. Regardless, waiting for the car to arrive by mid-November.

Conclusion: I am tired of addressing the same issue again and again. Hyundai knows this is a prevalent issue across most Hyundai cars from 2011-17 (?) and they are alright with that. That pisses me off to be honest.
Attached Thumbnails
EPS Failure-ecaa57bfeb8e40f3ae650c611c06925e.jpeg  

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th November 2020 at 04:35. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 15:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
So my i20’'s EPS has failed again.
An update on this issue. As it turned out, the EPS motor had failed. More details here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4941054 (2011 Hyundai i20 Asta. EDIT: 62000 km up & EPS module changed twice)
Old 3rd May 2021, 22:15   #53
BHPian

My Grand i10 Steering sound. A.S.S. says EPS motor needs to be replaced. Cost would be around INR 6000.
Old 5th May 2021, 21:04   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan23 View Post
https://Youtube.com/watch?v=WUJVGVk9NEE?feature=share
My Grand i10 Steering sound. A.S.S. says EPS motor needs to be replaced. Cost would be around INR 6000.
That noise can be quite annoying! In addition to having to live with the noise, it can also make you feel concerned for safety. Here's what I would request the SA to do:

1. Try lubricating the steering motor gear and yoke. If this does not solve the problem;
2. Try regreasing and recalibration of the EPS motor. They might tell you that it cannot be done, but try pushing. Still no luck?
3. Such a noise sometimes occurs due to failure of EPS motor pinion wear out. In this case, the EPS warning light might not glow. Try swapping the EPS motor with a test drive car's unit, and cross check if the noise disappears. If it does, ask the SA to go ahead with replacement of the EPS unit. If this step did not eliminate the noise, then;
4. Check front suspension components.

Let us know how it goes!
sandeep.menon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 20:58   #55

Tata Nano glitch in power steering

Dear Team, I have a Tata Nano Twist XTA with automated manual transmission. It's about four years old and 35000kms done.
There is an issue with its electrically assisted power steering. It works fine for a few minutes but then the power steering error light glows and I lose all assistance.
Restarting the car resets the issue which recurs again in a few minutes.
Dealer at Orissa wanted to change the entire steering module for Rs 25k feeling the steering torque sensor has gone kaput!
I feel that since the power assistance works for a few minutes there is a simpler issue.
Pl suggest solutions and good service station in Bangalore as I have shifted here. Thanks !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks