Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2017, 22:20   #31

Re: Verna Fluidic power steering malfunction and EPS indicator light ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

May sound silly but did you check the fuse for EPS?

Thanks for the reply. The fuse surely is intact. Stupid Hyundai shows "EPS" in the dashboard but calls the fuse "MDPS"
Old 9th September 2017, 20:27   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoiks_guy View Post
Hello dear community,

Day before yesterday I started my Verna Fluidic Diesel hurriedly and tried to drive only to realise that power steering is not working. EPS indicator light has been on ever since. The night before I had parked it safe and sound with no problem whatsoever.

Took it to Sharayu HASS Turbhe. The advisor didn't do any scan and insisted that it ll take time. Later he called and mentioned that motor and EPS module need to changed. I find it unlikely that two parts would fail at the same time. Secondly, I don't think the advisor has even scanned once. I think EPS indicator can further give out DTC codes but the advisor insists that scanning won't help. Additionally, he says that module isn't available so I'll have to leave the car for about 3 days. All in all, I feel that he is not diagnosing right and just want to replace all possibly faulty parts. Have seen this attitude with SA @ Sharayu HASS invariably.
I have faced the same situation in my 2013 Grand i10. The EPS got cutoff, and the warning light came up on the dashboard. After performing a scan diagnosis for detecting failure codes, the service advisor told me that both the EPS control unit that costs ₹12,000 and the EPS motor that costs ₹6500 needs to be replaced, as they both show failure code.

The Hyundai service workshop (Sharath Hyundai, Turbhe) is not even willing to check the output signals of the controller and neither are able to give me a proper answer as to why both the EPS motor as well as the control unit have failed at the same time, with no inbuilt protection circuitry. I was also told that both the motor and controller are not repairable, and only a replacement would be possible. I would like to know what steps have you finally taken i.e did you replace only the EPS motor or both the motor and control unit.

The service advisor has told me that warranty of 6 months will not be applicable if only the EPS motor is replaced without a new control unit. I have also taken an opinion from other garages and they were not able to diagnose the correct issue. I have not taken extended warranty. What are my options. Should I go in for motor replacement only and take a chance?
Old 9th February 2018, 10:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoiks_guy View Post
Day before yesterday I started my Verna Fluidic Diesel hurriedly and tried to drive only to realise that power steering is not working. EPS indicator light has been on ever since. The night before I had parked it safe and sound with no problem whatsoever
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
I have faced the same situation in my 2013 Grand i10. The EPS got cutoff, and the warning light came up on the dashboard. After performing a scan diagnosis for detecting failure codes, the service advisor told me that both the EPS control unit that costs ₹12,000 and the EPS motor that costs ₹6500 needs to be replaced, as they both show failure code
Can you update what happened subsequently and how you got the problem rectified?

Similar problem here - in this case it is an Eon. Funnily turn towards left is smooth and only the right turn is hard - i.e. no action from power assist when a right turn is taken.

HSS did a scan and has recommended that the EPS control unit needs to be replaced. Part is supposedly costing around Rs. 8,000/-. Not available off the shelf - has to be ordered.

Car is about four years old and mileage about 5000 kms.

Your experience would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 9th February 2018, 13:06   #34

Hi Prabhu,

Parts such as EPS unit, ECM are electronic, which means they either work or they don't. There is no middle ground. Thus, it is a good idea to pick an after market one. I went to second hand car parts market near Kalina and picked one. All major cities have such markets. I have been to such market in Delhi as well when I had to pick an ECM for my last Santro. I suggest you go to such market, find a part, negotiate like crazy, test it there and then and be free. Be prepared to test it there by ensuring the part is fully accessible in the chassis because once you are out of the shop, the part is fully yours whether it works or not. As long as you pick a working one, you should be good.

All the best. Do update here once you are through.

Best
Jagveer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Can you update what happened subsequently and how you got the problem rectified?

Similar problem here - in this case it is an Eon. Funnily turn towards left is smooth and only the right turn is hard - i.e. no action from power assist when a right turn is taken.

HSS did a scan and has recommended that the EPS control unit needs to be replaced. Part is supposedly costing around Rs. 8,000/-. Not available off the shelf - has to be ordered.

zoiks_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 10:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have had a similar experience with my 2011 i20. I got the EPS unit replaced at a FNG. He used genuine Hyundai parts and I was charged around INR 5500 for it.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 21:21   #36

Quote:
You would have to replace the EPS controller unit, since it is the part that controls the EPS motor. A replacement of the ECU and EPS motor will not be needed. If the OBD scan shows 'motor circuit short to ground' , then a replacement of the EPS motor will also have to be done.

Expect a hit of around 7500 rupees for the EPS controller with labour cost for replacement. I would advise against getting a used controller unless you specifically test the part and are absolutely sure it's working. The new EPS controller would carry a six months warranty if done at an authorized Hyundai service center.
thrust is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 10:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I have had a similar experience with my 2011 i20. I got the EPS unit replaced at a FNG. He used genuine Hyundai parts and I was charged around INR 5500 for it.
The EPS module is now being quoted at Rs. 8,500/- plus labour! I am looking for a dependable garage, but options are limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
You would have to replace the EPS controller unit, since it is the part that controls the EPS motor.

Expect a hit of around 7500 rupees for the EPS controller with labour cost for replacement
You are right. Had it checked at HASS and understand that replacement is required.

Just wondering - how could this go kaput so soon? That too on a car with very less mileage?
Old 17th February 2018, 12:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai: EPS Failure

Partial update -

Wrote to Hyundai customer care. Got the stereo-type response. However, the dealer called up and took the car for inspection (no idea why they had not reported that the inspection was already carried out!)

The service engineer confirmed that they had not only done a scan, but also checked using a different EPS module to ensure that the module in the car had failed.

No explanation as how the unit can fail - just a lame excuse that it could be due to 'electrical issues'?!?

Not having any other option, but go for replacement. Part is not readily available - it will take four days to get it shipped it seems!! (If you order a part from them - without leaving the vehicle for repair - you have to pay about 50% as advance....). Waiting for the part to be delivered.
Old 12th March 2018, 10:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Almost a month over now - with the new EPS controller.

No problems with the steering now (touch wood!)

Here are the pictures of the part replaced (first is the failed one which came in the car and second is box of the new unit) -

EPS Failure-eps-controller-1.jpg

EPS Failure-eps-controller.jpg

- See the crude 'OK' on the part; whenever I see this kind of marking, I feel that it indicates a lack of QC. This is a part which costs Rs. 8,000/- and can't they put a neat sticker to confirm its standards??
Old 30th July 2019, 17:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The power steering unit fails again. I changed mine in December 2017. The issue is slightly different this time. Turning the steering in tight places is a pain and is also noisy. But there is not EPS light on the cluster. Last time there was no noise but the steering lost power intermittently and the EPS light would come up.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone aware of the exact part number for the EPS unit of the i20 2011 model?
Old 9th August 2019, 16:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Ok Guys. In the past month I had quite an experience trying to fix the EPS module in my i20. I sourced the part myself and got it fixed at an FNG. But the problem ensued thereafter. It conked off for the 2nd time in 1.5-2 years.

I am attaching the link to my thread for the details. Also pasting an excerpt from the write-up:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4635474

Quote:

2. The EPS module conked off twice in 2 years and the ordeal I had to go through.

So guys, everyone who is suffering from the EPS failure, here are a few tips:

1. Try and get it done from the authorised service center. They charge around 10.5 to 11K. I got the part sourced from Kashmiri Gate for INR 8350+ INR 200 (fitting charge) + INR 826 (coding)= INR 93XX. I think the difference is not worth all the effort of sourcing the part yourself.

2. If you decide to get it done from outside do get it coded.

3. MOST IMPORTANT: There are 2 types of jobs offered when it comes to EPS failure: 1. Replace/new part, 2. Repairing the old part (half the price). I am not sure how I was charged only INR 5500 last time. I somehow feel I was given a repaired module last time considering the price charged to me and that it lasted only 1.5 year.

So please try and get a new one and dont get it repaired.

These were my 2~3 cents on the EPS failure.

The car is at 62000KMs and is running fine.

Last edited by Pancham : 9th August 2019 at 16:49.
Old 11th August 2019, 17:21   #43

Quote:
Is anyone aware of the exact part number for the EPS unit of the i20 2011 model?
Part number for 2011 i20 is 56330-1J700.

Cost 5760.

I am having June 2011 I20 Asta , and i also faced similar problem just 4 days ago.

This part was not readily available and had to order from factory. Now issue fixed.
Old 11th August 2019, 20:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parag_bandkar View Post
Part number for 2011 i20 is 56330-1J700.

Cost 5760.

I am having June 2011 I20 Asta , and i also faced similar problem just 4 days ago.

This part was not readily available and had to order from factory. Now issue fixed.
Well I got my scene sorted out last week. Its narrated in the above post and the attached link. Are you sure about the cost though? Every service center I spoke to told me the part costs 10.5-11K.

INR 5760 seems to be the cost of a repaired module which the authorised service center also sells. Please check.
Old 18th August 2019, 23:12   #45

I was on leave, response delayed.

I am sharing box image for your info

EPS Failure-20190811_165534.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 18th August 2019 at 23:17. Reason: Alignment issue with pic.

Most Viewed