Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2006, 23:15   #16
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar
Also I noticed that when at low speeds (20kmph) on 4th gear it makes trrrrrrrk kind of sounds this happens when I am pressing the clutch during this time.
That trrrrrk.. sound you are taking about is not the ac... its the poor engine.
ALL my maruti cars make that sound if you drive them in 4th with ac at that speed!!!!!!.
DO NOT DO THAT.. its not good for an engine.
4th gear 20 is below 1000rpm.
Old 27th August 2006, 08:29   #17
BHPian

Hey Thanks SLK, firstly sorry. It could be 20/30 as well, Could not note it accurately since I was concentrating on the noiset. And you are right about the 1000RPM I guess I am paranoid and expecting too much. But what still puzzles me is the same noise Is not there in a similar situation without the AC. And that's the Reason why I thought the AC to be the culprit,,,,. The whole issue is I was not facing this kind of problems earlier. Under any load conditions. The max is faced is the engine stalling.
Old 27th August 2006, 10:54   #18
BHPian

I going now to get a check up done, hope something productive comes through
Old 27th August 2006, 15:43   #19
BHPian

Opps Forgot that today is Ganesh Chaturti, The serivce center was closed today
Festive Greetings to all,
Will wait for tomorrow,
Old 29th August 2006, 14:54   #20
BHPian

Hi
Just Got back from MASS

As I expected the guys in MASS started to convince me that its normal sound of the AC , and its well knowm that driving on AC would drop the power output.
I was not convinced so asked the service advisor,manager and the mechanic to accompany me.

Scared the wits out of them with all my shouting.
Took them on a good 20KM test drive and got every one of them to drive and observe the sound.
At the end the mechanic cofessed there was abnormal noise and now they have offered to replace the AC fan motor on a trial basis.
Still not convinced that this is the problem but will patiently go though their elimination process. Till they find the problem.

On the Power they suggested that I am using adulterated petrol,
I am inclined to go with them on this since the lack of power is now noticeble even with out AC. so will try to flush out the tank and add new fuel, by which time the AC fan motor should also arrive.
Old 29th August 2006, 15:23   #21
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At the end the mechanic cofessed there was abnormal noise and now they have offered to replace the AC fan motor on a trial basis.
Whats an ac fan motor? something other than the radiator fan?

I think if MASS is not able to even detect a problem .. don't push them.. b'coz one normally ends up doing more damage than any good experimenting with the car.

Better would be.. to get in touch with any team-bhp member in Bangalore who has driven his Baleno extensively .. he'll be in a much better position to comment on any unusual sound.

As per the Honda user manual it is an extreme condition if you drive your car very infrequently and for short distances (less than 8kms)... the engines really done feel healthy unless they are driven well... [drive your car well.. take it out for a couple of highway runs and it will feel much better]
Old 29th August 2006, 18:30   #22
BHPian

Thanks SLK, I based in Hyd now and I did check with the AC on my freinds baleno that he has bought 4 months ago, The noise in question is'nt there. So I am safe to assume about the noise, The question is should I let them test this with a new AC fan motor or what ever they are suggesting, come to think of it I was such a Dummy to buy the story is there something like a AC fan motor, I think the fan that's used for radiator cooling is also used for the AC. I may be wrong. or infact there could be a AC fan motor indeed
Old 29th August 2006, 18:35   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks SLK, I based in Hyd now and I did check with the AC on my freinds baleno that he has bought 4 months ago, The noise in question is'nt there. So I am safe to assume about the noise, The question is should I let them test this with a new AC fan motor or what ever they are suggesting, come to think of it I was such a Dummy to buy the story is there something like a AC fan motor, I think the fan that's used for radiator cooling is also used for the AC. I may be wrong. or infact there could be a AC fan motor indeed
Its actually a condensor fan I think. AC can have its own cooling system, nothing unusual about it.
As for your problem, the best way is to show them that there is no noise in another baleno's.
this is what I did when they did not buy the story that the power steering bearing job they did had gone bad. Eventually they had to replace the bearing again, and this time for free.
Old 29th August 2006, 20:41   #24

With regards to the extended warranty, I would recommend taking the extended warranty. I think its not that expensive if you think about major problems with the car.

In situations where the service guy gives a reason that some obvious issue is very normal -- ask them to give it in writing that "In a maruti Baleno such a thing is common". Anybody would be scared with the thought of the negative publicity that they would get with that kind of writing....
Old 14th June 2007, 15:14   #25
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar View Post
Still not convinced that this is the problem but will patiently go though their elimination process. Till they find the problem.

On the Power they suggested that I am using adulterated petrol,
I am inclined to go with them on this since the lack of power is now noticeble even with out AC. so will try to flush out the tank and add new fuel, by which time the AC fan motor should also arrive.
My Santro's AC has developed a similar problem. Here are the series of events:

1. Last week Speed (my usual fuel) was not available and I filled up entire tank with normal petrol. In fact as I reached petrol bunk, to my surprise, low fuel light just started to glow with the fuel gauge slightly above empty mark (usually this light glows only when fuel level goes just below empty mark).

2. Started out to Mumbai on Friday (8 June) evening and near Ghatkopar, my car started bucking and stalling upon hard acceleration with AC on (at about 9-30 PM). Swtching AC off had no effect. Prior to that on the Expressway car was normal and I gunned it as usual to 140+ kmph. Had to drive slowly, below 60 kmph, for about 8 kms to Sion.

3. On Saturday (9 June) gave my car to National Motors (authorized Hyundai service) opp. ICICI Bank in Bandra-Kurla complex. Told them to do a complete serivice including engine tune-up, ECU scan, carbon cleaning of engine, fuel filter/air filter replacement. Also told them to check fuel pump, since I did run low fuel level previous week. AC was not effective (now almost 7 years old) so told them to do AC service as well. Car had about 1/2 tank of normal petrol still left.

4. Got car back on Sunday 9 June morning and took it to Esselworld with family on the hot afternoon after filling up full tank with 20 lits of Speed (so now mixture of Speed and normal petrol in tank).

5. Noticed the following problems:

(a) AC was intitially very effective, but was making humming sound. This was not there prior to service.

(b) Upon hard acceleration, the car was again stalling, but not as severely as before. Probably the addition of Speed improved matters.

(c) After driving for a while, AC was frequently switching on and off, and each time it switched on the cooling fan also started. In extreme afternoon heat AC was not effective. In fact upon idling the car, I noticed that the AC switched on and off 3 times in about 30 secs, and the sound was not healthy, probably due to the fan.

(d) Problem still persisted in the evening on the return trip to Sion from Esselworld, but stalling was relatively less severe and AC was cooling really well (my hands were getting numb). But humming noise was there upon accleration and decelaration.

(e) Next day morning (Monday, 11 June) topped up about 14 litres of Speed and drove the car to Pune with AC switched off. Now there was no problem whatsoever, really ripped the car to check for any problems. Pickup and fuel economy were both excellent, engine was really smooth, full marks to Hyundai service on these fronts. Authorized service does make a difference as compared to my local garage.

(e)In Pune drove the car around at low speeds with AC on. Humming sound, frequent on-off during afternoons with fan coming on; also noticed that the AC comes on initially in the morning with a loud "dhak" if switched on while the car is moving. After that the on-off is the usual "click". Cooling is very effective in the relatively mild temperatures, and now there is no engine stalling.

Plan to drive to Mumbai again this Friday evening without AC, give the car to National Motors on Saturday and ask them to do a thorough check of AC. I think the gas pressure may be excessive, because the car does noticeably jerk when the AC comes on. In peak afternoon heat the clutch shudder problem makes an unwelcome reappearance when AC is on. So I am guessing for the time being that the AC is drawing too much power. Plus the humming sound, fan noise, initial starting noise (first time in the morning) and frequent on-off in afternoon heat is making me uncomfortable as well.

The engine stalling problem on Friday and Sunday may have been due to bad petrol (at my usual BP bunk) or maybe my car is insisting on Speed and did not like the sudden switch to normal petrol. Fortunately the fuel pump seems to be OK and did not misbehave as I drove to Pune in the afternoon heat on Monday.

Last edited by rks : 14th June 2007 at 15:19.
Old 17th June 2007, 00:07   #26
rks
BANNED

Update: Took the car again to National Motors (Bandra-Kurla complex) today. The AC knob had got stuck in the on position and was replaced (RS 925). According to the mechanic, loose contact in the knob might have been the reason for frequent on-off. He says the sound of the AC is normal and due to fan coming on; cooling is good.

The reason for the car's jerking and stalling was either the sudden switch to normal petrol from Speed or maybe the normal petrol was adulterated. Now the car is not jerking or stalling, but in heavy traffic clutch shudder has started appearing when AC is on. I feel that the AC is drawing too much power and is cooling excessively. Maybe gas pressure has to be reduced a little. And I am still not happy with the sound, which does seem different to me after the AC service (humming plus unhealthy sound of fan). Plan to test the car with AC on this Monday on the way back to Pune.
Old 17th June 2007, 00:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Better to use some additive while using a different brand of fuel.
Old 17th June 2007, 00:40   #28
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Better to use some additive while using a different brand of fuel.
Yes, I learnt my lesson. Speed was not available at my usual BP bunk, which I trust. So I thought I would stick to that bunk and go for normal petrol. But in future I will go to a different bunk if Speed is not available in this one.
Old 17th June 2007, 01:24   #29
BHPian

I too am facing the same issue.. mine isnt related to fuel.. Its just that the car's done there's a sort of humming noise which is due to excessive friction and varies as per the engine speed (only when the a/c is on)..

I had it checked by the service station.. The service advisor says its the timing belt which has worn out and due to excessive load its making noise..

Maruti recommends changing the timing belt at 1,00,000kms.. my car has done about 92000kms.. so I'm gonna get the timing belt changed during my next service.. also gonne get the a/c belt/belt bearing checked/replaced..
Old 17th June 2007, 16:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

i am also facing similar issue with ac. car vibrates very much noticeable like my carb esteem when ac is switched on, rpm drops and takes long time to come back., have done 70k till now, no problem with cooling. how much will a timing belt replacement cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks