Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 13:21   #61
BHPian

Re: Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
GTO and other experts,

What should be the strategy in the monsoons when the cars gets dirty with muck everyday?
My 2 cents: I would still wash the car in weekends only. Why monsoon, for that matter even dusty summer afternoons make your car dirty within a day or two's running.

If the car has underbody rust proofing and there are no deep scratches on the body, then muck cannot rust your car irrespective of the make - whatsoever. But yes, I make sure to
1. get the underbody checked thoroughly by being present personally everytime the car goes for service.
2. Once in a week wash MUST be followed - if I am going for office trip of for vacations, then I get the car washed, dried and cover it up.
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 14:17   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't have the option of hosing down the car. Shampooing the car is difficult without a hose as you won't be able to knock off all the lather.
You can use clean water and microfiber to rinse also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
How much abuse can micro fibre towels take? Can it withstand wringing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Microfibers do not withstand wringing. You can squeeze them to drain water, but never wring them.
I do wring microfiber, the good quality ones generally don't seem to have an issue with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaith.turbo View Post
Hi Jaggu,
===========
What do you suggest please? I'm even considering repainting the bonnet.
My biggest worry is how it happened so that I can avoid in future.
Seems like whatever it is has cut through the clear coat. You can approach 3M store and ask them to check if fine sanding followed by polishing would help. I feel this should clear most of the stuff. If not you will have to go for a repaint, but keep it as a last option.

ps: better resolution picture if you have, would help more.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th June 2015 at 14:20.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 17:14   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaith.turbo View Post
Hi Jaggu,

Here are the pics. The first will show some spots on the bonnet and second one is a close up one. The spots are about 2 mm in diameter and they are not cement residue. There is no residue, There seems to be nothing to remove but just paint has spots like that.

What do you suggest please? I'm even considering repainting the bonnet.
My biggest worry is how it happened so that I can avoid in future.
These should go with either:

1) Tar removal spray
2) Mild buffing and polish - 3M center can do. Ask them to do a demo before you sign up.
3) Scratch-out or similar rubbing compounds..

How old are the spots ?

If they get removed then you may consider protecting the paint with Collinte or similar hard wax.

regards
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 18:09   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
These should go with either:
How old are the spots ?

regards
Thanks. Do you think it's because of Tar?
The spots are around 2 months old. I will get it to 3M this weekend.
Old 11th June 2015, 23:51   #65
BHPian

Thanks GTO and other Gurus for this simple, precise thread. Truly for dummies.

I get my car the 3M paint sealant treatment about every 8months or so. The paint condition is overall good. My question is should we use the shampoo(I use the Meguiar's) every time we wash the car, does this shampoo strip off the coat of wax 3M/I put in?

Thanks,
D.
Old 12th June 2015, 11:57   #66
BHPian

Nope, it wouldn't. But if you are using concentrates and strong shampoo's, then it will. Also, pay attention to the hand force used while removing those stains and muck, the harder you press more will be swirl marks and scratches.

My mantra is to use the "Yellow/Orange" cloth (cheap Rs.20 for a 50 cm/50 cm) + 2 bucket wash method.

First bucket with oodles of cheap shampoo. Second bucket with normal tap water. Wipe dry with Chamois cloth. And when its wet, apply paste wax (easy to apply) and then use old cotton underwear (yes, I am proud of it ) to buff.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 01:15   #67
BHPian

I have a basic question, pardon my ignorance. My question is what should be done as soon as I buy a car? Whether to go for something like "teflon" coating or so? Is there some treatment specially for new cars?
Old 13th June 2015, 02:21   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav135 View Post
I have a basic question, pardon my ignorance. My question is what should be done as soon as I buy a car? Whether to go for something like "teflon" coating or so? Is there some treatment specially for new cars?
Teflon coating is one of the biggest Indian automotive scams.
In brief, No don't go for it. There are detailed articles on the forum for the same.

You can go for an underbody protection treatment and a simple wash for the first two-three months post which there should be a detailing, a proper one as till then the paint will set in properly.
Just don't go for 3M or any other treatment as an oversell on a new car. Its going to harm the paint in long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
My mantra is to use the "Yellow/Orange" cloth (cheap Rs.20 for a 50 cm/50 cm) + 2 bucket wash method.
I know its not about the cost but please please use a proper microfiber. The yellow cloth will harm the paint more than a hard hand would.

Last edited by devilwearsprada : 13th June 2015 at 02:24. Reason: Forgot to add a point.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 10:40   #69
BANNED

Good to see a few myths about detailing busted in this thread. Here are more detailing myths busted;

1. Your old banians / vests are much better on your car than micro fibre cloths. Simply put, micro fibre is a polyester / cotton mix and your vest is 100% cotton. Polyester is harder than cotton. Additionally the weave pattern in a micro fibre does not make it as soft as the weave pattern (spring) on a banian/ vest. So use your old inner wear for treating your car better.

2. Most car manufacturers specifically advise not to use car shampoos except where there is stubborn dirt. Shampoos are seldom ph neutral and this removes the wax coating. Also unless the residual shampoo is removed completely with a lot of water (certainly not possible with a bucket of water) the residue would make the car lose a bit of it's shine.

3. A secret about wax - you never need to wax the whole car, the parts that need wax are the top of the bonnet, boot, roof and about and above the waist line (the parts that directly face the sun). The sides only need to be degreased or removed of tar.

4.Having a car for 15 years without a single visit to the detailing store (have had it polished by the painter while removing a dent), and the car still looks like new, this is what I have followed:

5. Covered car parking in the office and at home.

6. DIY Waxing has been about 4 or 5 times during the entire period of 15 years only as described in 3 above

7. Washing the car with water twice a week along with wiping thoroughly - inside the fuel filler cap, boot lid corners and body boot lid edges, bonnet edges, bonnet body edges, door frames along with the rest of body.

8. Nothing can ever beat water followed by an occasional wax. Provided you look after your car and do not live / drive in extremely dirty / polluted conditions which would increase the frequency for wax polishing and removing of tar/grease/pollutants.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 13:52   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Good to see a few myths about detailing busted in this thread. Here are more detailing myths busted;

1. Your old banians / vests are much better on your car than micro fibre cloths. Simply put, micro fibre is a polyester / cotton mix and your vest is 100% cotton. Polyester is harder than cotton. Additionally the weave pattern in a micro fibre does not make it as soft as the weave pattern (spring) on a banian/ vest. So use your old inner wear for treating your car better.
Really?
I don't see how though.
I agree the vest is 100% cotton and much softer but it isn't microfiber.
The purpose of the weave in the microfiber is to pick up and entrap the dust within itself without letting it scratch the surface of the paint. Your cotton vest, no matter how soft it is, would still cause dust particles to rub against your paint causing fine scratches and swirl marks.

Is there something I'm missing?
dumdum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 16:15   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post

The purpose of the weave in the microfiber is to pick up and entrap the dust within itself without letting it scratch the surface of the paint. Your cotton vest, no matter how soft it is, would still cause dust particles to rub against your paint causing fine scratches and swirl marks.

Is there something i'm missing?
For starters, read up on what is used to clean the highly scratch prone windscreens of aircrafts.

And, more importantly, why.

There’s a lot more, but this should be enough to get you to realize the spin on micro fibre cloths (that you've quoted above) is a variation on the one on Teflon coatings.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 13th June 2015 at 16:44.
Old 16th June 2015, 02:34   #72
BHPian

A very informative thread! What is the best solution to maintain beige interiors of the car,cleaning the genuine leather beige seats to be more specific which get soiled easily. Which is the best product available to clean them? and any particular procedure to be followed?
Old 16th June 2015, 06:11   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahoor23 View Post
A very informative thread! What is the best solution to maintain beige interiors of the car,cleaning the genuine leather beige seats to be more specific which get soiled easily. Which is the best product available to clean them? and any particular procedure to be followed?
I'm using the Armorall leather cleaner and have seen impressive results.
dumdum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 16:18   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I'm using the Armorall leather cleaner and have seen impressive results.
I have seen that Armorall leather cleaner comes in 2 variants: Gel and a sprayer.
Which is the recommended one? It would be great if someone throws some light on the best wax polish available out there? checked with 3M guys in Bangalore & the cost for paint sealant is 5500rs, is it worth for a new white car? or i should opt for it after a month or something or its not that necessary?
Thank you
Old 16th June 2015, 16:44   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahoor23 View Post
checked with 3M guys in Bangalore & the cost for paint sealant is 5500rs, is it worth for a new white car? or i should opt for it after a month or something or its not that necessary?
Thank you
Exact same queries from me too, which I posted on the first page - is the 3M paint sealant worth the money? We will be getting delivery of our new car in a week. Should I go for it right away, or wait till the monsoon ends? Answers will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks