Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2019, 18:08   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I have a open parking, and sometimes dont use my car. I have instructed the watchman not to wash my car, as he used those dirty clothes creating many swirl marks, which looks very bad - I have black car !! Now, on the roof, there lot of bird dropping marks, which are not getting removed even after so many routine washings. Some small marks on bonnet area too. The paint surely has got some damage because of those bird poop.

One of the popular workshop guy told that even with detailed polishing, these marks may not go completely!!

any DIY I could try to remove those marks ? or any other pointer - polishing ? I surely dont want to spend big money. Please assist, thanks.

Hopefully, once the marks are removed to big extent, I have a thought of covering the roof and bonnet with some VFM vinyl wrap - easy of cleaning & less worry of paint damage. Inputs welcome.

thanks in advance.
Long story short, what you got there is termed as "crow's foot", and it's pretty much permanent damage which happens when the acids in bird droppings are baked in with the heat from sunlight.
Aggressive compounding shall make it lighter (but not make it disappear) , and you stand to lose clearcoat. Tinted wax / glaze may hide it to some extent.
Repainting is the only 100% fix.
Always remove bird droppings ASAP using quick detailer & microfiber / soft facial tissue. Use a car cover if you are parking in the open and do not plan to use your car for sometime.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 15:15   #182
BHPian

Bumping up this relatively infective thread because 1) I am an 'idiot' when it comes to car detailing 2) My query here today is too basic to be posted in the other (more professional) thread.

My car is 5 years and 5 minutes old. Never did polishing or any sorry of professional car detailing till now. Been cleaning the car myself with an occasional wash at a car wash place.

Now I have a covered garage and I am considering getting car polishing done at regular intervals to keep the car looking good.

Also, the chrome components on the front grille as well as the alloy wheels have stains which I couldn't remove despite using 3M car cleaning solution.

Took my car (Linea T Jet 2014, Magnesio Grey) to 3M car care today.

The quoted price was like this :
1) Exterior - ₹4491/-
2) Front wound shield glad polishing - ₹1769/-
3) Interior cleaning - ₹2633/-
Total - ₹8893/-
They are offering anniversary discount for a month and with discount the rate will be ₹7713/-

I was a bit perplexed about this quote, because when I asked about the annual plan, the rate quoted for the annual plan (fixed total car package - medium) was ₹15747/-.

Are these standard rates at 3M every where?
Does this match the charges in other centres?
(I am in Pondicherry).

Is it advisable to buy the annual plan?

I must admit i run short of time and this is an impediment for cleaning my car myself and I am getting busier for various reasons.
The local person who clans the car does a very shoddy job and also don't clean the interiors. I can't leave the car cleaning to that guy.

Thanks for your inputs, in advance.
sparameswaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 13:06   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

You don't have kids, do you?
LOL.

Told my kids that there will be strictly no food or drinks permitted in the new Dodge Challenger. So far (has been two weeks) and they have abided. Not sure for how long though.

Great info on thread and am going to chip in with one thing I learnt the hard way.
It is getting "good" after market floor mats - because it has helped reduce a lot carpet cleaning/maintenance. For example the following one from Amazon was pricey but really worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...c=1&pldnSite=1

The person at the store had recommended using Scotchguard (by 3M) protector spray for seats (Fabric) and Carpets which repels liquids and prevents staining. So picked up a can and doused the seats and carpets liberally.

My family van (Dodge Grand Caravan) on the other hand is a complete mess

Last edited by vulcanize : 15th March 2020 at 13:16. Reason: Typos
Old 10th January 2021, 13:16   #184
BHPian

Have cleaned a car twice now (after becoming a T-BHPian and referring this thread)

Both times I have not been totally satisfied. For the second time I got an AmazonBasics drying towel, and there surely is lesser water spots. But I have a few questions: (I use Jopasu to dust car off)

1. With just a bucket of water, a couple microfibers, and a drying towel, what could be the procedure I'd have to follow?
Is it dust off - wet the car panel by panel - wipe with microfiber - wet car panel by panel again - dry off? Or am I doing something wrong?

2. Even after dusting the mats off the OEM carpet is littered with debris I'm unable to remove. Some are even stuck on the carpet. Unfortunately the vinyl flooring installation keeps postponing. So in future, even after the vinyl flooring, will I need a vacuum cleaner to remove the fine particles?

Please read through and answer this noob's questions
Old 2nd February 2021, 11:28   #185
BHPian

Looking at the thread title, guess I am in the right place. I have bought a new car. Been four days since I took delivery. Though I have indoor car parking, due to construction in front of my house the car gets very dusty. I used Jopasu duster yesterday evening to remove the dust and covered my car with dealer provided car cover. I am not happy about covering the car. Though the car is brand new (white colour), when I inspect it under a flashlight, I can see minor swirl marks. I assume this was due to improper cleaning at the dealer's end before delivery.

To get to the point, I want to wash my car myself and not take it outside. How long should I wait before washing a brand new car? I have bought Jopasu duster (interior and exterior), and a bunch of microfiber cloths in different colors. I do not have pressure washer or a garden hose. I am planning to buy turtle wax quick and easy multipurpose interior cleaner and stain remover for interior care. What car shampoo should I get for exterior wash? Can the same be used for windows and windshield? Is the two bucket method once i every two weeks sufficient to keep the car clean and without swirl marks?

And most importantly, is it possible to get rid off existing swirl marks in a brand new car? I know I have asked too many questions here. I am going through the thread as I write this message to collect most of the information. Would be grateful for any noob tips from members who have been at this for quite some time now
alphasri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:05   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasri View Post
How long should I wait before washing a brand-new car?
I washed my new vehicle the very next day for the same reason that I was not satisfied with their workmanship. Moreover cleaning the vehicle yourself is an experience in itself .To answer your question you can wash it if you like there is no stopping you UNLESS you have got any treatment done which I don’t think is the case
Quote:
What car shampoo should I get for exterior wash? Can the same be used for windows and windshield?
Since there is no protection on the vehicle currently, I would suggest going for any wash and wax shampoo or better any ceramic infused shampoo if you want something better. They can be used on any exterior surface
Eg. Turtle wax Ceramic wash shampoo, Gyeon Bathe+(Ceramic Infused shampoos),Turtle Wax Carnauba Shampoo, Proklear Wash and Wax, Sonax Gloss Shampoo, Nanoskin Wash and wax(All Carnauba infused Shampoos)
Quote:
Is the two bucket method once I every two weeks sufficient to keep the car clean and without swirl marks?
In my experience 2 bucket method is messier than the waterless wash method with both giving equivalent results. The deciding factor is which method you like. Thumb rule is use either of the methods to clean a lightly soiled vehicle. For heavy dirt and grime a full wash is recommended. Swirls are inevitable and there is no way you can avoid it. At the max you can protect the paint using Wax or Sealant or Ceramic coating but even then swirls will be induced. You have to accept that fact.
Quote:
And most importantly, is it possible to get rid off existing swirl marks in a brand new car?
Yes, it is very much possible to get rid of them using compounds or polishes depending how deep they are. You have to get the vehicle detailed and as part of that the swirls will be cleared .
Artyom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 22:45   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post

Since there is no protection on the vehicle currently, I would suggest going for any wash and wax shampoo or better any ceramic infused shampoo if you want something better. They can be used on any exterior surface
Eg. Turtle wax Ceramic wash shampoo, Gyeon Bathe+(Ceramic Infused shampoos),Turtle Wax Carnauba Shampoo, Proklear Wash and Wax, Sonax Gloss Shampoo, Nanoskin Wash and wax(All Carnauba infused Shampoos)

In my experience 2 bucket method is messier than the waterless wash method with both giving equivalent results. The deciding factor is which method you like. Thumb rule is use either of the methods to clean a lightly soiled vehicle.
Thank you very much for patiently answering my questions. Much appreciated. I don't have preference for any one method. In waterless wash, how do you rinse/clean the microfibre used to wipe one part of the car before moving on to the next? I guess all those shampoo you mentioned are to be mixed with water for a water wash and not waterless wash. Thank you once again.

We had a car wash person that washed our car along with ten other cars. My dad really didn't have the time to do it himself and I wasn't there. That's why I want to do everything myself this time; as much as I possibly can. So many of my questions can seem pretty basic.
Old 3rd February 2021, 05:49   #188
BHPian

Quote:
In waterless wash, how do you rinse/clean the microfibre used to wipe one part of the car before moving on to the next?
Below is the process that I follow:-

1.First of all I have a set of 4 towels which are dedicated for Waterless Wash. Each towel when folded 2 times will give you total 8 sides to use(Just like how we fold a handkerchief). You can use any MF towels but the thicker ones will be better to use.

2.Waterless wash concentrates are different than regular car wash shampoos so that is what you need to buy(Proklear CX Waterless wash, Optimum No Rinse, Carpro Ech02) All of them are really good.

3.Use a garden sprayer and mix the Waterless wash concentrate and distilled water in the ratio recommended. I use Regular RO water.

4.Use Jopasu duster to remove any light dirt on the vehicle first and then spray the solution to 1 panel at a time. The panel should be properly lubricated/covered with the solution before you use the microfiber towels to gently wipe top to bottom in a single pass to remove the dirt. Don't go in a circular motion.

5.Once the panel is clean use another MF towel to buff off or remove any residual and you are done. Once you see that all sides of the towel are soiled shift to a clean towel.

6.Based upon the size of the vehicle and regular use, you will get a fair idea as to how many towels are enough for the whole vehicle. Also, make sure to avoid doing a waterless wash in direct sunlight or when the panels are hot. As such, there is no harm in it but it's just that the solution dries faster and can leave streaks on the panel.

7.Cleaning the lower panel of the vehicle where most of the dirt is prominent is the key. Clean that portion at the last during each pass.Also, use the solution liberally in these areas to help dislodge the dirt easily.

Quote:
I guess all those shampoos you mentioned are to be mixed with water for a water wash and not waterless wash.
Yes, Regular car shampoos are to be mixed with water and produce a lot of foam whereas waterless wash concentrate will generate none.

Quote:
We had a car wash person that washed our car along with ten other cars. My dad really didn't have the time to do it himself and I wasn't there. That's why I want to do everything myself this time; as much as I possibly can. So many of my questions can seem pretty basic.
In my opinion, the car guys you mentioned will royally screw your paint because they use the same cloth on multiple cars so swirls and marks are a given.

Try to chalk out a regime for cleaning the car(Waterless or Full Wash). An example I prefer a waterless wash when the car is not that dirty as that saves time and water. But if the vehicle is full of dirt and grime then I prefer a full wash. My average is 1 full wash a month if the car is dirty else once or twice I do a waterless wash at the max. This interval changes during monsoons. With time you will be able to make that judgement. In your case, you don't have covered parking so your interval might be different. Happy Detailing
Artyom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:12   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Below is the process that I follow:-

1.First of all I have a set of 4 towels which are dedicated for Waterless Wash. Each towel when folded 2 times will give you total 8 sides to use(Just like how we fold a handkerchief). You can use any MF towels but the thicker ones will be better to use.
Basic question on this process. In this method of waterless wash, am I right to assume that after the microfiber cloth is soiled with one cleaning process/cycle, it has to be replaced completely with a new microfiber cloth? Doesn't that mean that your microfiber cloth consumption will be quite high?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 3rd February 2021 at 09:15.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:41   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Am I right to assume that after the microfiber cloth is soiled with one cleaning process/cycle, it has to be replaced completely with a new microfiber cloth? Doesn't that mean that your microfiber cloth consumption will be quite high?
Yes once the Microfiber is soiled you are supposed to shift to a new microfiber towel.
Without sounding stupid let me clarify "Shift to a new towel" means you should move to a clean microfiber towel and NOT throw away the soiled one.
In my case, 9 out of 10 times only 2 towels suffice for my Creta. So 2 towels plus 1 for buffing will do the whole job. I hope that clears the doubt if any.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:16   #191
BHPian

Quote:

In my opinion, the car guys you mentioned will royally screw your paint because they use the same cloth on multiple cars so swirls and marks are a given.

Try to chalk out a regime for cleaning the car(Waterless or Full Wash). An example I prefer a waterless wash when the car is not that dirty as that saves time and water. But if the vehicle is full of dirt and grime then I prefer a full wash. My average is 1 full wash a month if the car is dirty else once or twice I do a waterless wash at the max. This interval changes during monsoons. With time you will be able to make that judgement. In your case, you don't have covered parking so your interval might be different. Happy Detailing
Thank you . I will figure out a regime. I do have a covered car parking, but the gate side is not fully covered. It is covered only to the height of the gates. There is a three-storey house construction going on right in front of my house, and all the dust from the site settles everywhere; on the car, on my bike etc. It is a nightmare for a brand new white car.
alphasri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 15:49   #192

Thanks a lot for @alphasri for asking all questions in my mind and @artyom for patiently explaining in detail

Quote:
But if the vehicle is full of dirt and grime then I prefer a full wash. My average is 1 full wash a month if the car is dirty else once or twice I do a waterless wash at the max.
I still have one question, here full wash meant by self two bucket was method or giving the car for pressure wash outside? If outside, you prefer some friendly local washing place or branded ones? I have an one month old car, I did proklear waterless wash myself, though I introduced swirl marks couple of places, I'm happy with the wash. Now trying to plan a routine including full wash. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Ram
ram_bishop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 23:53   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_bishop View Post
Thanks a lot for @alphasri for asking all questions in my mind and @artyom for patiently explaining in detail

I still have one question, here full wash meant by self two bucket was method or giving the car for pressure wash outside? If outside, you prefer some friendly local washing place or branded ones? I have an one month old car, I did proklear waterless wash myself, though I introduced swirl marks couple of places, I'm happy with the wash. Now trying to plan a routine including full wash. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Ram
By full wash I meant a wash which could be done using a couple of buckets of water or using garden hose pipe or from a washing centre depending upon how dirty the car is.The aim is to remove stubborn dirt and grime properly using a car wash shampoo.You can get it washed from outside preferably from 3M or any professional car wash studio.The reason for that is their washing method is appropriate along with use of professional car care products like shampoo and wash mitt.I personally use a garden hose to do a complete wash but if the dirt is too stubborn then i get it washed from a nearby car detailing studio.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 08:17   #194
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a cover for my Thar. Any specific brand or material that I should be looking for? Amazon is full of those but hard to choose one.
Old 14th February 2021, 21:40   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Looking for a cover for my Thar. Any specific brand or material that I should be looking for? Amazon is full of those but hard to choose one.
Check this, seems to have good reviews from a few forum members:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ar-covers.html (Review: Coverwell car covers)
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks