Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2017, 07:45   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny

Has anyone tried using distilled vinegar for cleaning alloys? Its a pain to clean out brake dust with water and while searching for solutions, I did see many posts on other auto forums about using distilled vinegar to clean brake dust from car alloys. Is this recommended for long term use?
Old 26th August 2017, 09:21   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Has anyone tried using distilled vinegar for cleaning alloys? Its a pain to clean out brake dust with water and while searching for solutions, I did see many posts on other auto forums about using distilled vinegar to clean brake dust from car alloys. Is this recommended for long term use?

There are plenty of wheel cleaning solutions for e.g. https://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-G14324-Aluminum-Wheel-Cleaner/dp/B00QKI46UG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503719403&sr=8-2&keywords=meguiars+wheel+cleaning

Give them a try. Makes the job much easier than using soap and water. Do not use vinegar as it is acidic.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 23:14   #168
BHPian

I am confused between 3M interior foam cleaner and an all purpose cleaner for interior cleaning. While using a foam cleaner is more fun and easy, all detailing guides suggest an all purpose cleaner for thorough cleaning of the interior trim. Which one would be better?
wishnipon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 22:53   #169
BANNED

I'm having hard water stains in my glasses. Used 3M glass cleaner, but in vain.

Is it safe to use vinegar + water mix to remove that stains?
Old 2nd February 2018, 00:56   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I'm having hard water stains in my glasses. Used 3M glass cleaner, but in vain.

Is it safe to use vinegar + water mix to remove that stains?
Yes you can use it without any issues. I have been using 50% mix of white vinegar on my XUV for some time now very effective. I ensure it doesn’t touch the paint ( put a few drops on a cloth and wipe where stains are present) and use a wet cloth immediately afterwards to wipe off.
RajeVenu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 06:42   #171
BHPian

I've been exploring Wash and wax type of shampoos, is this effective ? Any recommendations fellow bhpians ?
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:01   #172
Senior - BHPian

Hi members,
I have a 1.5 year old blue Yamaha R15 which has been through a very few DIY wash-wax sessions apart from a two or three washes at the service centre.

Off late, I have started to notice swirl marks on most areas (tank, fairing, visor and tail) and small scratches on the tank probably caused due to my jacket chain rubbing on it at times. These swirl marks were always there but with time, have started to show up pretty badly even under sunlight. If needed, I can upload photos of the paint condition. I am planning for a thorough detailing session at home and need to get detailing materials first.

As of now, I have a bottle of waterless wash and tyre shiner with me. Need to know if I need a rubbing compound, wax (paste or liquid?) or both to remove swirl marks, minor scratches and bring back some gloss. I am mostly concerned about plastic parts (90% of painted parts are plastic) and haven't used wax on them ever (use a very ineffective polish though).

PS. Want to keep the work short and crisp by limiting the number of things that go into this job. For a non-detailer guy like me, a warm gloss left by a wax treatment after wash is very close to "perfect".
Old 22nd August 2018, 00:01   #173
BHPian

Just purchased a Jopasu Duster from Amazon. This blew my mind. All these years and I've been cleaning the exteriors wrong. This product is amazing and takes 1/10th of the time it would otherwise take to clean the dry dust off for daily drives when using a cloth. Drastically reduces the need to wash the car too! No swirl marks either.

Still have an issue though: My windscreen/windows are fine in the day but hazy by the night with some glare too. I tried cleaning the outside but realised that the car wash guys applied polish on the inside of the windscreen/windows by accident/incompetence. Will take a bottle of window cleaner and report the results. Haven't had successful results with water and microfiber cloth.

EDIT: I found a similar post in another thread. HERE! (A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide)

Last edited by typlo : 22nd August 2018 at 00:04.
Old 21st November 2018, 11:40   #174
BHPian

Probably is a re-post query, my apologies :

Both my cars, Skoda Octavia and Grand i10 need a good cleaner & conditioner for the seats.
The seats are leather in the Skoda, and leatherette (i believe, glorified fabric) in the Grand i10.

I have read multiple product reviews on this forum and otherwise. I would request you'll to advise on a reasonable priced cleaner which can clean the grime, and then later I'd move on to more expensive cleaners for routine maintenance.

can the 3M Interior Cleaner be applied on both leather and fabric surfaces?
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 07:25   #175
BHPian

I park my car in covered area. Should I use a car cover to protect it from dust?

A friend told me that car covers invite rats due to darker environment,would love to hear your thoughts/experience.
Old 16th May 2019, 08:14   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
I park my car in covered area. Should I use a car cover to protect it from dust?

A friend told me that car covers invite rats due to darker environment,would love to hear your thoughts/experience.
Let me answer this, since I'm kind of in a similar situation as you are. I've been parking at my current spot since November '18. I have the habit of checking the engine bay pretty often, and never came across any hint of a rat's entry into it.

Now, I don't have covered parking like you do. I park on the streets, and cleaning the car every time I take it out was becoming quite a task. Hence, in February 2019 I purchased a cover, and put it on the car. In the first week or March, I noticed food in the engine bay. A quick inspection revealed that a rat, or maybe multiple rats have been coming into the the the engine bay. The rats were killed using food laced with rat poison, the engine bay was cleaned, and for about two months, everything was fine. One day at the beginning of this month, I decided to put on the cover again, since I had planned to not take the car out that entire week. I looked into the engine bay last week, and again noticed food and rat poop.

So in my experience, yes, the car cover seems to have brought the rats to my car. This might just be a coincidence though.