Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2019, 21:58   #61
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Posting this on behalf of my friend Karan Chopra:

I left my house and drove my Hyundai Creta SX+ (Petrol - Bought on 2 Oct 2016) to run some errands around 1 PM on 27th Dec In Chandigarh/Mohali. I went to few market places. It was quite cold around 9 Degree Celsius and I had to use defogger on both front and rear windshield glass with AC turned on and temp set to 27 Degree Celsius inside the car.

I drove for around 12 to 14 KMs and had like 2 stops in between, then on my 3rd stop at the parking lot, when I came back to my car after 20 mins approximately, the rear windshield glass was fully shattered (cracked) and started breaking and falling from the edges. I carefully inspected my car and could not find any signs if it was hit by something or someone, I was totally confused on what happened.

Windshield broken without a reason?-img_20191227_142941.jpg

Then I thought to call Hyundai Service center near my House (Joshi Hyundai - Sector 73 - Mohali) and ask the price to replace the rear windshield glass as I was not sure if I should get it replaced in insurance as it would increase my No Claim bonus of three years and more over I was not sure if Insurance would cover it as there was no sign that car was in any accident. So the Hyundai informed me that rear windshield costs around ₹3500+Labor = (₹5000 to ₹6000 my estimation).

When I told about my situation, they suggested to bring the car to showroom and get it inspected by warranty personal. I knew I had to take the car to the service station anyway as the windshield could come off any moment and could not take the car home in such a situation. So I turned on my Hazard warning lights of my car and started driving very slowly at a speed of 20 to 30 Kms/hr to the service station which was approximately 7 KMs from where I was. While driving there I could hear the glass breaking and falling down at times. I was lucky when I reached the service station the windshield glass was still hanging intact and didn’t fully went down.

I went directly to Warranty personal and asked him to inspect my car, he took some photos and sent it to his superiors and they gave a green light and they said I could take my car tomorrow, they will put a new windshield glass for free as car was under warranty (I own 2 years extended warranty). Then while a service advisor was making the job card he informed me that when I use the defogger on rear windshield, I am not supposed to use it with blower or AC. I should use it in default function, like when defogger is selected, outside air is allowed to flow in and by default if your blower or AC is off, it doesn’t turn it on as compared to defogger of front windshield, which personally I found to be TOTALLY RIDICULOUS. I have not heard of such a problem in any other car. (And yes, there was no perfume or deodorant of any kind in the car which could have filled the car with some gas, just pointing it out if anyone was thinking about it). I think Hyundai is using inferior quality rear windshield glass which can’t even tolerate change in sudden temperatures.

Last edited by navdeep.rana : 27th December 2019 at 22:01.
navdeep.rana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 23:27   #62
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post
I should use it in default function, like when defogger is selected, outside air is allowed to flow in and by default if your blower or AC is off, it doesn’t turn it on as compared to defogger of front windshield, which personally I found to be TOTALLY RIDICULOUS. I have not heard of such a problem in any other car. (And yes, there was no perfume or deodorant of any kind in the car which could have filled the car with some gas, just pointing it out if anyone was thinking about it). I think Hyundai is using inferior quality rear windshield glass which can’t even tolerate change in sudden temperatures.
Same issue faced by my friend about which I had posted in the link below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4381382 (Windshield broken without a reason?)
Old 28th December 2019, 02:32   #63
BHPian

Re: Windshield broken without a reason?

In both the posts mentioned the cars are from 2016, rear windshield only & same car (Creta) who knows there might be similar complaints on the road from other Creta owners too. But I am surprised that this kind of manufacturing defect could exist even in 2019. Will Hyundai recall the cars and offer windshield replacement voluntarily for other similar make & model owners? I doubt
Old 28th December 2019, 06:53   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post
I went directly to Warranty personal and asked him to inspect my car, he took some photos and sent it to his superiors and they gave a green light and they said I could take my car tomorrow, they will put a new windshield glass for free as car was under warranty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
In both the posts mentioned the cars are from 2016, rear windshield only & same car (Creta) who knows there might be similar complaints on the road
Seems like Hyundai knows this issue and the dealer giving away a free windshield under disguise of warranty is the key giveaway here.

Last edited by saisree : 28th December 2019 at 06:54.
Old 28th December 2019, 08:02   #65
BHPian

This has happened to alot of people including me. (2016)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4358410

I've read about 2-3 incidents on the creta owners FB group as well. Same conditions- using the basic feature of defogger in winter. I've used it for hours in other cars but never touched it again in this car.
Old 18th March 2020, 15:55   #66

Re: Maruti rejects warranty on basis of illogical reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post

How is your replaced windscreen holding up?
After 2 years my replaced windshield cracked again from the very same spot.
The crack is exactly in the same direction as before and almost identical to the previous one.

What could be the cause of this crack? Experts please advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield broken without a reason?-screenshot_20200318155317.jpg  

Windshield broken without a reason?-screenshot_20200318155320.jpg  

racerx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 17:02   #67
Senior - BHPian

Looks like this is a design issue. The frame does not have enough space to accommodate the expansion of windshield. During summer, due to heat, the windshield expands and since there is no enough space for expansion, it cracks.

Now people may argue the metal frame also would expand. But coefficients of thermal expansion is different for glass and metal. So, probably due to the above reason, it would have cracked
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 16:18   #68
BHPian

Never imagined I would find this thread and would have something to update as well.

I'm in Home Quarantine along with my sister after travelling from Chennai to Trivandrum. We're staying at my mom's old house which doesn't have parking and hence on 24th July, we parked it on the road (like the norm in our street). Today, when my dad came at around 3 PM to give us our lunch, he noticed the car with it's rear windshield broken. Since there's no CCTV and we were always inside the house, we wondered if it's some vandalism or a theft attempt. But there was nothing valuable in the car and nor was there any damage to any other parts of the car. We immediately called the police station just in case and they arrived in under 15 minutes, inspected the place and told us nothing fishy was found. We anyways emailed a complaint to the station as suggested by them. Either some vehicle with a long overhang (iron rods, etc) reversed and smashed the glass or it was the temperature/ pressure factor. I'm glad they responded quickly as we both can't get out of the house owing to the quarantine.

Attaching the images for your reference. Surprisingly, majority of the other cars cases in this thread were Hyundais.

Windshield broken without a reason?-photo20200730152348.jpg

Windshield broken without a reason?-photo20200730152347.jpg
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:52   #69

I had the exact same issue happen to me last night in Bangalore.
I was driving my Creta (Automatic - 2017), and it was raining. I started my rear defogger, and after a few minutes heard a crack in my rear windshield.

I stopped to check the damage and possible reason for the same. The car driver next to me (we were in a traffic at that point of time) said that it seemed to start cracking suddenly.

I carefully drove back home and all through the journey I could hear the cracking sound and the window cracking completely.

Took a photo once I reached home. On calling the service centre (Advaith Hyundai - Bellandur in Bangalore), the staff wants to inspect the car further but was trying to put the blame on me or the road conditions.

I will update further once I go the service centre on the response from the dealer.

The rear defogger causing this issue seems to such an oversight from the Manufacturer.
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield broken without a reason?-whatsapp-image-20200802-14.40.40.jpeg  

scorpiosamir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 10:44   #70
BHPian

Found this interesting (not sure if it’s the right thread though).

Windshield broken without a reason?-bbddfaf287a7433ebb05411242c71a48.jpeg

Windshield broken without a reason?-9ebb6ee6477b46f7a25c5d8f47db799c.jpeg
Old 9th October 2021, 17:49   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

According to me... it is not tempered, it is laminated.

Or maybe it's both, to be honest, I'm not sure... but I know that windscreens have been made like this for as long as I can remember.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks